ADVERTISEMENT

We need a badazz Strength and Conditioning staff!!

You post no evidence or further commentary to back up your claim. Most would agree, that S&C staff are critical, but their role is key during the off season.

We need a new staff period. You offer no reasoning to single out the S&C

You post no evidence or further commentary to back up your claim. Most would agree, that S&C staff are critical, but their role is key during the off season.

We need a new staff period. You offer no reasoning to single out the S&C
I'll have to agree with you Madison. Sure we need some retooling with our current staff & some have slacked off on the recruiting trail but I don't believe our strength & conditioning coach has been part of the issue.

I'll have to agree with you Madison. Sure we need some retooling with our current staff & some have slacked off on the recruiting trail but I don't believe our strength & conditioning coach has been part of the issue.
Looking small and slow has very much to do with the Strength and Conditioning staff! We miss Fitzgerald

Reactions: Prince of Darkness
We look small and slow is evidence enough
That's because you can't go recruiting guys the size of Conference USA players and expect them to develop into SEC caliber players as far as size and speed goes. There's only so much S&C can do with a defensive end that's 225 and runs a terrible 40 time. There's only so much you can do with linebackers as small as some teams CornerBacks(a 5'11 CB is considered small these days btw).

Reactions: GSGP69 and cockal
I was not happy with the S&C the first game 3 years ago when Clowney barely made it through the game. We then proceeded to give up big leads in several games late including Kentucky UCF and Vanderbilt. We held on to win but seemed to not be in shape. That was 2013....2014...well we saw what happened late in the games.....this year it's gotten worse. Fitzgerald and crew are not good...or someone else is much better from our results against other teams late in the games.

I was not happy with the S&C the first game 3 years ago when Clowney barely made it through the game. We then proceeded to give up big leads in several games late including Kentucky UCF and Vanderbilt. We held on to win but seemed to not be in shape. That was 2013....2014...well we saw what happened late in the games.....this year it's gotten worse. Fitzgerald and crew are not good...or someone else is much better from our results against other teams late in the games.
I think that had more to do with the fact that we didnt have talented depth behind our starters due to crappy recruiting. The starters in 2013 were mostly the end of Shane Beamer's recruits, 2014 and an were pretty much all Spurrier Jrs.

Reactions: GSGP69
I think that had more to do with the fact that we didnt have talented depth behind our starters due to crappy recruiting. The starters in 2013 were mostly the end of Shane Beamer's recruits, 2014 and an were pretty much all Spurrier Jrs.
You develop talent.....it's not God given to every player that plays. You can't fill the roster with those kind so you have to develop them into good players. The 5 stars have to be developed too....they are not as good as a soph or junior player when they step on campus straight from the high school game. We have multiple 4 stars that should have been good but they were never developed......they don't do it on their own. I think the talent was and is there. It's just too late to make it work with this staff and the season almost over.

Reactions: Chuckt0wnCock
If we get a new coach...I bet most of the jobs...even conditioning staff...will be replaced. Just stay tuned...

That's because you can't go recruiting guys the size of Conference USA players and expect them to develop into SEC caliber players as far as size and speed goes. There's only so much S&C can do with a defensive end that's 225 and runs a terrible 40 time. There's only so much you can do with linebackers as small as some teams CornerBacks(a 5'11 CB is considered small these days btw).
So Ya are telling me these kids can't get bigger?? I don't know how much Ya know about working out and conditioning,if ya are working hard Ya are going to get bigger!! That is lame!!

So Ya are telling me these kids can't get bigger?? I don't know how much Ya know about working out and conditioning,if ya are working hard Ya are going to get bigger!! That is lame!!
There's way more to it than just getting "bigger". Shoot, some of our players aren't getting bigger at all, can't keep any weight on them. You need to recruit a top athlete from the getgo and develop them, you won't turn a mediocre player into an awesome athlete. You either have athletic skills or you don't.

There's way more to it than just getting "bigger". Shoot, some of our players aren't getting bigger at all, can't keep any weight on them. You need to recruit a top athlete from the getgo and develop them, you won't turn a mediocre player into an awesome athlete. You either have athletic skills or you don't.
You always should recruit for the best athletes or not be in the business...lol...hence some should not be. You can do wonders with a great S&C program and I think that is a major problem with the program now. These guys all had SEC written all over them. What changed ? Well, they weren't developed beyond what they were when they got here. You can't develop speed but body mass is a very do able thing. The linemen and LB's should be monsters in two years.....or maybe less depending on how their bodies react.

You cannot train a kid to be taller and you cannot teach speed. Those are God given abilities and must be recruited. A kid that runs a 4.7 40 will never run a 4.5 40 no matter how much training he gets nor the quality of the training. Most players can get a little bigger with more muscle mass, but that is only to a point as well. It largely depends on the guys frame as to how much he can add before it becomes counter productive. Case in point is Darius English. He came in at around 225 and got pushed around a lot. last year he added about 25 lbs but couldn't move as well. Now he is back down closer to his previous weight which is apparently optimal for him. If you want DEs that are around 250-260 then you need to recruit guys that are closer to that size naturally.

You cannot train a kid to be taller and you cannot teach speed. Those are God given abilities and must be recruited. A kid that runs a 4.7 40 will never run a 4.5 40 no matter how much training he gets nor the quality of the training. Most players can get a little bigger with more muscle mass, but that is only to a point as well. It largely depends on the guys frame as to how much he can add before it becomes counter productive. Case in point is Darius English. He came in at around 225 and got pushed around a lot. last year he added about 25 lbs but couldn't move as well. Now he is back down closer to his previous weight which is apparently optimal for him. If you want DEs that are around 250-260 then you need to recruit guys that are closer to that size naturally.
There is a individual max on muscle size that's true...but strength is another thing. You can get stronger and with the right diet you can reach your maximum muscle size in a short period of time.....steroids will make you bigger but we don't want to go there...lol. I am a protein workout freak as of late...a year later and I am amazed at what it did ! Do the Whey....lol...

If you're going to be a 225lb DE in this league you better have one helluva quick first step and be able to run. We don't have that. We are just small and slow or either big and slow. I heard on the radio last night we were recruiting a kid that had offers from Army and Western Kentucky. Why???? Kid must be smart if Army likes him but to be honest, they don't have the athletes we have and should be recruiting.

Well, by golly we did exactly that during the Morrison Era - recruited smallish players and then built 'em up . . . yeah . . . oops! That didn't turn out too good, did it?

Not sure if you are aware or just made a typo, but Fitzgerald has been gone for a while. His successor, Joe Connolly, has been running the show for the past 5 years. He learned most of what he knows from Fitzgerald, and has continued to use the same type of S&C regimen after he left.

Reactions: superflyby
Well, by golly we did exactly that during the Morrison Era - recruited smallish players and then built 'em up . . . yeah . . . oops! That didn't turn out too good, did it?

Uh.....you do realize that was the 80's, right? Athletes have been getting bigger and stronger at every position at every level of football.

Reactions: bmhood1984
Not sure if you are aware or just made a typo, but Fitzgerald has been gone for a while. His successor, Joe Connolly, has been running the show for the past 5 years. He learned most of what he knows from Fitzgerald, and has continued to use the same type of S&C regimen after he left.
I did make a mistake...I knew it was Connolly....thanks for the heads up. I thought Fitzgerald was an innovator and we needed to keep him.

I disagree Ya can improve your speed,I had a friend that walked on @ Carolina in the early 2000's and when he went down there he ran a 4.7,and after two years he got down to a 4.45,Ya have genetic potential that can be reached obviously with the right training Ya can improve on things,if that was the case why even spend a ton of time working out and conditioning,and he also went from 180 to 195 of good muscle,anyone who thinks that a good strength and program isn't important in developing talent is speaking non sense, I have been a Personal Trainer for years,and Ya can improve your athletic Abilty with a good training regimen!! This is a very important piece of building a good program!!

Devin Taylor came in @ 225, and left @ 268,don't give me that, Chaz Sutton came in @ 235,and left @ 265 so yes Ya can put on Size!! And yes ya can get faster to an extent!! A guy is not going to go for a 4.9 to a 4.5, but it is conceivable for a 4.7 to a 4.5, and it's not so much about 40 times it is also about quickness and explosiveness,Ya can improve on these things or these programs wouldn't invest all this money into a program and equipment for these players!!

5'11 isn't considered small,that is about the average height of a Cornerback!!

What's up with the usage of "ya". Are you a clembilly hick or just too lazy to type one more letter?

I disagree Ya can improve your speed,I had a friend that walked on @ Carolina in the early 2000's and when he went down there he ran a 4.7,and after two years he got down to a 4.45,Ya have genetic potential that can be reached obviously with the right training Ya can improve on things,if that was the case why even spend a ton of time working out and conditioning,and he also went from 180 to 195 of good muscle,anyone who thinks that a good strength and program isn't important in developing talent is speaking non sense, I have been a Personal Trainer for years,and Ya can improve your athletic Abilty with a good training regimen!! This is a very important piece of building a good program!!

Through training you can make some marginal improvement in speed. If you run a 4.7, you might can get down to a 4.65 or so, but No one can drop 3 tenths of a second on their 40 time just by training. Speed is a God given trait, period. You can no more make a slow person fast than you can make a short person tall. If so, everyone would run a 4.4. Strength, size, flexability, and stamina are a different story. Those are the things that are improved through an S&C program.

Through training you can make some marginal improvement in speed. If you run a 4.7, you might can get down to a 4.65 or so, but No one can drop 3 tenths of a second on their 40 time just by training. Speed is a God given trait, period. You can no more make a slow person fast than you can make a short person tall. If so, everyone would run a 4.4. Strength, size, flexability, and stamina are a different story. Those are the things that are improved through an S&C program.
I had a friend that did it,don't tell me that he went from a 4.45 to a 4.7 he walked on @ Carolina in the early 2000's!!

That's not true,but not everybody has the genetic Abilty to do that,but within reason Ya can make improvements,guys do it all the time ya can cut .2 seconds off a 40 time!! I have seen it done,I am a personal trainer,and have trained High School Athletes!!

That's not true,but not everybody has the genetic Abilty to do that,but within reason Ya can make improvements,guys do it all the time ya can cut .2 seconds off a 40 time!! I have seen it done,I am a personal trainer,and have trained High School Athletes!!
No Ya can't make a short person tall,that is genetics,but Ya can I prove your speed,I have done it with Athletes personally!!

Morrison didn't play teams like are in today's SEC either. If you want to see what happens to smallish players, refer back to the Hawaii vs UGA bowl game or when UGA played Boise State. UGA almost killed Hawaii's players who'd been setting NCAA records all year and had beaten some good teams. It's just a whole different world when you step on the field against an SEC team with SEC caliber players.

Another example John Abraham ran a 4.6 when he came to Carolina left running a 4.4, everybody has untapped athletic potential that can be reached it might not be the same for everybody,yeah a guy runs a 4.9 will never run a 4.4, but he can get quicker and more explosive and get down to a 4.7 isn't unconcieveable!!

5'11 isn't considered small,that is about the average height of a Cornerback!!
It's on the small side these days. Schools are going after 6' and taller CB's because everyone's recruiting the 6'2-6'4 receiver with a crazy vertical.

ADVERTISEMENT