ADVERTISEMENT

We need a QB who can run

ken in sacramento

Jan 16, 2000
Rattler isn’t much of a runner. When we pulverized Georgia in 2012, Shaw ran for 4 first downs in the first quarter. And most of those were 3rd and long. Rattler throws a nice ball but his ball is only maybe 20% better than Doty’s. That’s not going to make the difference. Georgia has the luxury to not need a QB to run but we do not. Running QBs also make the O line look much better.

until we get a kid who can and will run, we’re going to be struggling to get first downs and score.

We need a new head coach with experience. Not a guy who has never even been the head coach of a flag football team.
QB is the least of our problems.

I don't think we will ever get another QB as Good as Conner Shaw. Would like to Keep Coach Beamer around . He is a good recruiter and maybe he will get us turn around in the next couple of years.

Rattler isn’t much of a runner. When we pulverized Georgia in 2012, Shaw ran for 4 first downs in the first quarter. And most of those were 3rd and long.

until we get a kid who can and will run, we’re going to be struggling to get first downs and score.

Shaw ran the ball effectively because he has a solid offensive line that allowed for designing runs for him - or protected him long enough to give him the option to run. Many of his runs were up the middle.

Rattler is getting so much pressure up the middle he doesn't have time to run anywhere.

He was running.....for his life. Now I am not one of those that think Rattler is the next great QB as many thought. If he were, he wouldn't have lost his job at Oklahoma. But he is a good QB. But that isn't the problem. First off USC must have better players along the OL. And against better competition, receivers can't get separation against more skilled athletes. We can dream about Connor Shaw running QB draw all we want, but he would have run into a brick wall yesterday.

Rattler isn’t much of a runner. When we pulverized Georgia in 2012, Shaw ran for 4 first downs in the first quarter. And most of those were 3rd and long. Rattler throws a nice ball but his ball is only maybe 20% better than Doty’s. That’s not going to make the difference. Georgia has the luxury to not need a QB to run but we do not. Running QBs also make the O line look much better.

Really? He's thrown 4 nice ones to the other teams. He throws off his back foot and doesn't get anything on the ball. When he does throw it he's off target - badly. He missed 3 receivers running freely against Arkansas. If he makes those throws it's a totally different ball game. Our freaking punter threw a better pass yesterday than any Rattler threw.

Having a QB that is also a running threat certainly helps to hide deficiencies in an offense.

Given the right people around him, Rattler showed he's an all-conference QB at Oklahoma. The question is whether USC can get those people before he leaves.

Having a QB that is also a running threat certainly helps to hide deficiencies in an offense.

Given the right people around him, Rattler showed he's an all-conference QB at Oklahoma. The question is whether USC can get those people before he leaves.
So are you insinuating he can be all conference in this conference? It’s apparent now why he lost his job at OU, in fact I bet if he had stayed at OU he wouldn’t have beaten out Gabriel that transferred in.

Really? He's thrown 4 nice ones to the other teams. He throws off his back foot and doesn't get anything on the ball. When he does throw it he's off target - badly. He missed 3 receivers running freely against Arkansas. If he makes those throws it's a totally different ball game. Our freaking punter threw a better pass yesterday than any Rattler threw.
To be fair, our punter was not under the pressure that Rattler has been. None of our QBs have looked consistently good as our O-Line has not provided any time to throw in the past 2-3 years. Jason Brown problably looked the best over that period and he was up and down due to Defensive pressure. Everything works together in an offense ,and without an adequate O-Line nothing works. We put Doty out there again, and what did he promptly do, throw a bad pick to 3rd teamers. So, I think we have no choice but to ride this thing out with Rattler and hope that we improve and that we have played our best competition.

To be fair, our punter was not under the pressure that Rattler has been. None of our QBs have looked consistently good as our O-Line has not provided any time to throw in the past 2-3 years. Jason Brown problably looked the best over that period and he was up and down due to Defensive pressure. Everything works together in an offense ,and without an adequate O-Line nothing works. We put Doty out there again, and what did he promptly do, throw a bad pick to 3rd teamers. So, I think we have no choice but to ride this thing out with Rattler and hope that we improve and that we have played our best competition.
He's a freaking punter for God's sake. Not a QB. I saw Bennett make numerous completions while under a lot of pressure. I saw it two weeks ago as well against Oregon. I saw it numerous times all weekend on other games. That's what all good QBs do. They operate under pressure. Rattler does not.

I think we found a solution! We need to line Rattler up 15 yards behind the line - he might have a little more time to throw.

So are you insinuating he can be all conference in this conference? It’s apparent now why he lost his job at OU, in fact I bet if he had stayed at OU he wouldn’t have beaten out Gabriel that transferred in.

He was first team all-conference in the Big 12 in 2020 - a league dominated by QB’s putting up big numbers. So sure, he could be all-conference in the SEC.

• Haha
Reactions: the orange dog
He's a freaking punter for God's sake. Not a QB. I saw Bennett make numerous completions while under a lot of pressure. I saw it two weeks ago as well against Oregon. I saw it numerous times all weekend on other games. That's what all good QBs do. They operate under pressure. Rattler does not.
So, what’s the solution? Try Gauthier? I have seen Doty and pretty sure he wouldn’t do any better. I don’t know what you were expecting, but I didn’t expect positive results in either of these last two games, especially the Georgia game. I hoped to be more competitive, but Rattler is not the first QB that Georgia has made look bad. Oregon just spanked a ranked BYU team and looked just as inept against Georgia as us. So, I want to see how this team responds over the next 3 games. Then, you would have a better sample to judge the QB and the team.

So, what’s the solution? Try Gauthier? I have seen Doty and pretty sure he wouldn’t do any better. I don’t know what you were expecting, but I didn’t expect positive results in either of these last two games, especially the Georgia game. I hoped to be more competitive, but Rattler is not the first QB that Georgia has made look bad. Oregon just spanked a ranked BYU team and looked just as inept against Georgia as us. So, I want to see how this team responds over the next 3 games. Then, you would have a better sample to judge the QB and the team.
So with 2 of those being SC State and Charlotte you seriously believe that? We aren’t beating KY so I’m assuming you will sample off those two tough games.

So with 2 of those being SC State and Charlotte you seriously believe that? We aren’t beating KY so I’m assuming you will sample off those two tough games.
No, I am looking for a game that is more competitively even. That's why I said three games instead of two. Of course, poor performances against SC State and Charlotte could escalate a change. However, it's premature to be jumping all over Rattler 3 games into the season with two of them being against Top 10 teams that we are not competitively close to. So, yes I am looking at the Kentucky game. Kentucky is highly ranked right now, but I am not all that impressed with them. I am not basing it off a win or loss. I am looking how Rattler fairs in that game. You will then be halfway through a season and you can make a decision that is not based off of emotion.

Last edited:
I wasn't offering a solution. I was only commenting on the poor play of the QB so far in contrast to what another poster stated. There may not be a solution with this current coaching staff. It may be that we are just stuck with what we have and can expect to win no more than 4 or 5 games. We may not be any better next year either. It is just where we are.

We occasionally get lucky and find lower ranked guys like CS but what I want to know is why is it that our star players, particularly qb's and rb's RARELY live up to their billing?

I'll settle for a QB that can pass right now if we can figure that out. As I type, I'm seeing tater D backs having a hard time covering WF recievers. Not impressed.

Shaw ran the ball effectively because he has a solid offensive line that allowed for designing runs for him - or protected him long enough to give him the option to run. Many of his runs were up the middle.

Rattler is getting so much pressure up the middle he doesn't have time to run anywhere.
Shaw was a baller. Rattler ain’t. End of discussion. To compare the two is complete idiocy

Reactions: the orange dog

How about an offensive line that doesn’t block like a sieve? Think about this. Our offensive line is one of the most experienced in the SEC.

Beamer is great on hype, substance not so much. If we are trying to win best music video in SEC, our chances might be good at winning an MTV award.

People need to face the fact that this university for all of the resources it has is run shoddily. We had one decent AD in my lifetime. We need to fire the entire Athletic Department staff and leave Dawn alone. She is a proven winner. Every other coach, except maybe women's soccer, should be put on notice.

Well somebody is posting on your account. Look up 3 or 4 posts. You mention Shaw and rattler. Lol
Ha. Ok. I did mention Shaw. I’m on the lake. It’s hard to keep up. LOL.

but I am not comparing rattler to Shaw or rattler to Shaw.

completely Different players.

Maybe its just me, but I never considered Shaw a good runner. But he was a guy who would do what was necessary and wasnt afraid to take a hit. Guy just kept getting up hit after hit. You just dont see that much any more.

No you don't.

You ran them all off or did not give them enough play time after 2 incompletions to stay with the program.

You need a good O-Line more than a QB who can run!

Maybe its just me, but I never considered Shaw a good runner. But he was a guy who would do what was necessary and wasnt afraid to take a hit. Guy just kept getting up hit after hit. You just dont see that much any more.
What??? Shaw not a good runner?? You might want to watch some of his games again.

Reactions: Flameout12
Shaw was a sold running QB for a college QB. But the offense was different when he was here and I think the offensive line was better overall.

Satterfield had a lot of runs called last year in the bowl game. But we haven't done that much this year. I think the reason is pretty clear- the offensive line so far this year is a step back from what we had last year- which was far from a solid offensive line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT