ADVERTISEMENT

We need to get behind Coach Paris 100%

PC31

Gold Member
Apr 30, 2005
I know when we were The FGF! our DNA was crying, complaining, whining, biching haters. We were the Mikey of message boards.......We hate everything.
Now we are The Scoop! Lets rally behind our new coach. I think most here only want one thing.....to win games. I personally don't care who the coach is as long as the guy wins. I have faith Coach Lamont Paris can get that done here. Lets do our part.
Go Cocks!

Not sure I'd say that I hate him. But if we were going with someone with lack of experience we had so many other choices.

Hope he does well but call me when its over. Now let's see if we can possibly mess up hiring a 4th tier baseball coach

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Not sure I'd say that I hate him. But if we were going with someone with lack of experience we had so many other choices.

Hope he does well but call me when its over. Now let's see if we can possibly mess up hiring a 4th tier baseball coach
Lack of experience? What do you mean by a lack of experience? Hasn't he been a head coach the past 6 seasons?

We have no choice but to get behind him, but the most frustrating thing about this to me is that we maybe had a shot at GG (albeit probably a very long shot one) but have gone to zero chance at GG for an unproven coach.

5 Full seasons of rebuilding a struggling program at UTC. there's no real substance to this lack of experience statement? We're just going to overlook the Wisconsin stint? That experience doesn't factor in at all?
I’m not discounting anything but correcting you on the 6 years of experience to 5.

If I were discounting, I would ask you what’s the greatest win he had in those 5 years. That’s not going to be a fun question for you to answer.

Reactions: Clevercock3
I sense fatigue is setting in with the same mantra after every recent hire "We need to get behind (fill in the blank)
now that he's our coach 100%"
The fan base is looking/hoping to be excited with a new hire vs the "Well now that he's our coach I hope he does well" manta.

I’m not discounting anything but correcting you on the 6 years of experience to 5.

If I were discounting, I would ask you what’s the greatest win he had in those 5 years. That’s not going to be a fun question for you to ans
Lamont Paris is our New Men's Basketball Coach... I know it's difficult for some of you to swallow, but who cares...I am going to support the guy, goodness knows he's going to need it.

What available choices would have moved the needle for you though? Weren't you advocating for Dawn?

I sense fatigue is setting in with the same mantra after every recent hire "We need to get behind (fill in the blank)
The fan base is looking/hoping to be excited with a new hire vs the "Well now that he's our coach I hope he does well" manta.

Agreed. I think many fans have been burnt to the point that it's a "show me" attitude. Earn it first, etc.

Reactions: bucketdad
Lamont Paris is our New Men's Basketball Coach... I know it's difficult for some of you to swallow, but who cares...I am going to support the guy, goodness knows he's going to need it.
Your race baiting is truly disgusting. I don’t like the hire because of the resume, not the skin color. Having said that, if he doesn’t succeed do you have a built in excuse as to why? I’ll gladly eat crow if we’re dancing in the next 6 years. I just want you to come here and own it if this hire falls flat.

Please tell me why he’s going to “need it” (support) any more than any other coach here? Everything is about race with you so why stop now.

I would have been shocked if we got a so-called homerun hire in basketball. Too little history and too many challenges. This program is going to have to be built up with a low-key hire that pans out. That's just where we are. The only big name in the running was Sean Miller and he turned us down. This was either going to be a Mid-major hire or get someone like Gregg Marshall off the bench. I just don't see this big difference in Paris and some of the other names like Richey thrown out there.

Your race baiting is truly disgusting. I don’t like the hire because of the resume, not the skin color. Having said that, if he doesn’t succeed do you have a built in excuse as to why? I’ll gladly eat crow if we’re dancing in the next 6 years. I just want you to come here and own it if this hire falls flat.

Please tell me why he’s going to “need it” (support) any more than any other coach here? Everything is about race with you so why stop now.
I can see blowing off steam when this was first announced. However, it's been 3 days. I just don't see how continuing to knock the guy is constructive. ...and I don't see where the guy you responded to was race baiting at all. It seems you just want people to stop supporting the guy and that any support he receives is based on race. He is the basketball coach now and we have no choice but to hope it works out. So, that's the real reason we support him. Would have done the same thing if one of the guys you wanted got the job.

Race baiting? I didn't mention anything about race in this post. One can only assume his race must be on your mind since you're the one that brought it into the conversation. I'm going to say this again, "Lamont Harris is our New Men's Basketball Coach. let us get behind this man and help him build upon what Coach Frank Martin has started". I would've been behind whomever we hired, but some of the posters and fans aren't so willing to do the same for this man... One could only guess as to why? I feel he's going to need a lot of support due to his perceived lack of experience. However, if you're not going to help support this man, then kindly get the heck out of the way. We have too much hindrance in our men's sports programs already. We do not need anymore detractors... Go Gamecocks!!!

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
I know when we were The FGF! our DNA was crying, complaining, whining, biching haters. We were the Mikey of message boards.......We hate everything.
Now we are The Scoop! Lets rally behind our new coach. I think most here only want one thing.....to win games. I personally don't care who the coach is as long as the guy wins. I have faith Coach Lamont Paris can get that done here. Lets do our part.
Go Cocks!
I am all in. In a fit of reverse psychology, I hope he proves Ray Tanner wrong (i.e. he is extraordinarily successful- which would have to be in spite of RT).

The idea that we were going to get a successful Power 5 coach given our hiring history is pretty ludicrous.
The administration of this university has set that standard - but if a fan wants to support those hires then it’s “you have a loser mentality”…no, I want the big splash hire but I don’t run out athletics department so unless I want to do the impossible of choosing another school to support I’m going to get behind this coach.
He has about as good of a resume as an assistant and recruiter that you can ask for…and his one stint as a head coach saw his teams improve each of the 5 seasons…so you may not be impressed with who he coached and the teams he beat but isn’t that all relative to a degree? Who do you expect UTC to beat every year? Duke? Kentucky? Cmon…

I’m behind the hire and think it’s a way better hire on paper than say BJ Mckie would have been (and BJ is my favorite player of all time)

Race baiting? I didn't mention anything about race in this post. One can only assume his race must be on your mind since you're the one that brought it into the conversation. I'm going to say this again, "Lamont Harris is our New Men's Basketball Coach. let us get behind this man and help him build upon what Coach Frank Martin has started". I would've been behind whomever we hired, but some of the posters and fans aren't so willing to do the same for this man... One could only guess as to why? I feel he's going to need a lot of support due to his perceived lack of experience. However, if you're not going to help support this man, then kindly get the heck out of the way. We have too much hindrance in our men's sports programs already. We do not need anymore detractors... Go Gamecocks!!!
Let me pull some lines from your posts in the last few days. At least own it if you’re going to post this much bull.
My personal favorite: “So, you are more comfortable with the black guy you think you know.”
But there are others like:
“For far too long being black means being less qualified”
“One can only guess why you are underwhelmed with this hire”
“it's about time my University made a hire based on talent and accomplishments rather than the Good Ol' Boy system”
“This is a great progressive hire for My Alma Mater.”
“Paris is neither of those men nor has he benefitted from the certain privileges awarded to them due to a certain characteristic”
“this hire will go along way in helping to change that narrative.”

I can see blowing off steam when this was first announced. However, it's been 3 days. I just don't see how continuing to knock the guy is constructive. ...and I don't see where the guy you responded to was race baiting at all. It seems you just want people to stop supporting the guy and that any support he receives is based on race. He is the basketball coach now and we have no choice but to hope it works out. So, that's the real reason we support him. Would have done the same thing if one of the guys you wanted got the job.
I will eventually move to the mode of support, much like many Gamecocks will be forced to. I don’t have to like the hire to eventually move to supportive and can certainly express my displeasure with the hire and why that feeling exists.

I do not have any desire to tear the man down bc he’s black. If he were white with that resume, I’d say the same thing…that it was a bad hire. In fact, you don’t have to believe me. Just search my posts when Kingston was announced as baseball coach. It was an underwhelming hire based on what we should have been able to get.

I’ll eventually move toward a more supportive position but watching my alma mater make a very underwhelming hire in a sport I passionately support is disappointing to say the least. I asked him and I’ll ask you the same….what’s his best win. At least Bob Richey could say he got a win at Villanova. What game can you really point to as Paris’ best win in his entire career as a head coach?

I will eventually move to the mode of support, much like many Gamecocks will be forced to. I don’t have to like the hire to eventually move to supportive and can certainly express my displeasure with the hire and why that feeling exists.

I do not have any desire to tear the man down bc he’s black. If he were white with that resume, I’d say the same thing…that it was a bad hire. In fact, you don’t have to believe me. Just search my posts when Kingston was announced as baseball coach. It was an underwhelming hire based on what we should have been able to get.

I’ll eventually move toward a more supportive position but watching my alma mater make a very underwhelming hire in a sport I passionately support is disappointing to say the least. I asked him and I’ll ask you the same….what’s his best win. At least Bob Richey could say he got a win at Villanova. What game can you really point to as Paris’ best win in his entire career as a head coach?
You are really referencing one regular season win in December by Richey 2-3 years ago as the reason for giving him a job? What about going through the interviewing process and letting the decision-makers hear the visions these guys have from the program. I threw out personal favorites, but that is just me being a fan. I don't really know who the best coach should be in this instance and neither do you. No, Tanner does not have the best track record in hiring coaches, but that's who we have to rely until something changes.

The idea that we were going to get a successful Power 5 coach given our hiring history is pretty ludicrous.
The administration of this university has set that standard - but if a fan wants to support those hires then it’s “you have a loser mentality”…no, I want the big splash hire but I don’t run out athletics department so unless I want to do the impossible of choosing another school to support I’m going to get behind this coach.
He has about as good of a resume as an assistant and recruiter that you can ask for…and his one stint as a head coach saw his teams improve each of the 5 seasons…so you may not be impressed with who he coached and the teams he beat but isn’t that all relative to a degree? Who do you expect UTC to beat every year? Duke? Kentucky? Cmon…

I’m behind the hire and think it’s a way better hire on paper than say BJ Mckie would have been (and BJ is my favorite player of all time)
Our last hire was a successful Power 5 coach. There were successful Power 5 coaches rumored as candidates.

Do I expect UTC to beat Kentucky or Tennessee regularly? No. Should there be some victory over a Power 5 school if we’re going to hire from the Southern Conference….I would say so.

For example, Bob Richey took Furman to Villanova and won. Who goes there and wins? Two wins at Loyola Chicago. A close loss to Tennessee and Wichita State. An OT loss to Auburn. A 3 point loss to Alabama.

Richey was a candidate and showed a much better ability to take a weaker team and compete with the big boys in about the same period of time. He had better ties to the area than Paris.

You are really referencing one regular season win in December by Richey 2-3 years ago as the reason for giving him a job? What about going through the interviewing process and letting the decision-makers hear the visions these guys have from the program. I threw out personal favorites, but that is just me being a fan. I don't really know who the best coach should be in this instance and neither do you. No, Tanner does not have the best track record in hiring coaches, but that's who we have to rely until something changes.
Actually you may want to check out the other post above where I listed games where Furman played very well against the big boys. It’s not just one game.

You know good and well interviews are bull. Who cares who sounds good in an interview. We’re talking about who can coach. I heard interviews being the reason for passing on guys in the past for years. Then they went elsewhere and had success and we were left holding the bag.

Let me pull some lines from your posts in the last few days. At least own it if you’re going to post this much bull.
My personal favorite: “So, you are more comfortable with the black guy you think you know.”
But there are others like:
“For far too long being black means being less qualified”
“One can only guess why you are underwhelmed with this hire”
“it's about time my University made a hire based on talent and accomplishments rather than the Good Ol' Boy system”
“This is a great progressive hire for My Alma Mater.”
“Paris is neither of those men nor has he benefitted from the certain privileges awarded to them due to a certain characteristic”
“this hire will go along way in helping to change that narrative.”
As I stated in earlier, I did not reference Race in this post. You mentioned race in this post. Those statements are from another discussion. With that being said, I wholeheartedly stand by those statements. They seem to have hit home with you, but that's another subject for another time. Today, we are discussing how we can support our new Men's basketball coach, Lamont Paris. I believe he has the talent, will power, scheme and determination to get the job done.

Actually you may want to check out the other post above where I listed games where Furman played very well against the big boys. It’s not just one game.

You know good and well interviews are bull. Who cares who sounds good in an interview.
I will disagree. Interviews reveal a lot about a coach if the proper questions are asked. The answers will show where the coach can go, wants to go, how to get there. And the powers-that-be see how that matches up with the university’s goals.

All of that has to be balanced against what the coach has accomplished in the past with the resources he had, and a close look taken on how he handles situations in recruiting, transfer portal, discipline, etc..

Dean Smith was a nobody, was about ran off in his early years at Chapel Hill, and they are happy they didn’t dismiss him. There are many other like cases. I hope our coach gets through the tough times that will come and 8 years from now our fans will be saying “How are we going to keep him when so many are after him?”

I will disagree. Interviews reveal a lot about a coach if the proper questions are asked. The answers will show where the coach can go, wants to go, how to get there. And the powers-that-be see how that matches up with the university’s goals.

All of that has to be balanced against what the coach has accomplished in the past with the resources he had, and a close look taken on how he handles situations in recruiting, transfer portal, discipline, etc..

Dean Smith was a nobody, was about ran off in his early years at Chapel Hill, and they are happy they didn’t dismiss him. There are many other like cases. I hope our coach gets through the tough times that will come and 8 years from now our fans will be saying “How are we going to keep him when so many are after him?”
It can be helpful but the powers that be in our university have not shown the ability to take those interviews and match them with a successful coach very often.

Reactions: Neanderthal

Agree 100% And exactly what has this coach done to be worthy of $2.2 million in yearly salary?

Thanks RAY! I could pull a 3rd grader out of any school in SC that could do as remarkable a job as Ray Tanner has done!

What available choices would have moved the needle for you though? Weren't you advocating for Dawn?
Dawn wasn't my choice my point was that she deserved to be considered. But if we want to look at this hire and his record what about him screams, justifies or even remotely merits $2.2M per year.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this hire. But this one will very likely go down on the list of Ray Tanner face plants!

We were better off keeping what we had if this was the best we could do! I think you even miss your own point in your post "what available choices would have moved the needle for you though?". I'd first like to think that as an AD I already had choices in mind and lined up before I decided to head off in another direction. What we got instead was an AD that jumped out of the car and just started walking in another direction.

Ray Tanner is a nice guy but an incompetent AD

Dawn wasn't my choice my point was that she deserved to be considered. But if we want to look at this hire and his record what about him screams, justifies or even remotely merits $2.2M per year.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this hire. But this one will very likely go down on the list of Ray Tanner face plants!

We were better off keeping what we had if this was the best we could do! I think you even miss your own point in your post "what available choices would have moved the needle for you though?". I'd first like to think that as an AD I already had choices in mind and lined up before I decided to head off in another direction. What we got instead was an AD that jumped out of the car and just started walking in another direction.

Exactly. Supposedly ADs have “lists” in case changes need to occur. If our hire was on this list, it has to be longer than a CVS receipt.

I would love to have the opportunity to ask Harris Pastidis, 'What were you thinking when you caved into Tanner's pressure to hire him as the AD for the University of South Carolina?'

Does that include the Beamer hire?

Reactions: Lurker123
But if we want to look at this hire and his record what about him screams, justifies or even remotely merits $2.2M per year.

I think 2.2M is just the "going rate", and the salary my dog would get if they hired him to coach. Which would also suit me fine, as I handle the money for him.

I would love to have the opportunity to ask Harris Pastidis, 'What were you thinking when you caved into Tanner's pressure to hire him as the AD for the University of South Carolina?'
Well he ignored Ole Ball Coach when he told him he was ready to call it a day. Then had no plan in place and one must only assume thought he was kidding.

I don't even need to get into Muschamp saga and how that all played out nor his complete lack of ability to monitor something he does know supposedly a little something about which is a baseball program.

He may be great at raising money but I'm at a complete loss to understand how he is an asset to our Athletic Department. The guy is never ready for anything based on HIS track record!

I think 2.2M is just the "going rate", and the salary my dog would get if they hired him to coach. Which would also suit me fine, as I handle the money for him.
It's the going rate for incompetent ADs for sure! Yet again he let someone else USE HIM to get another job and more money. I wish Paris well but this track record from our AD is beyond old.

It's the going rate for incompetent ADs for sure! Yet again he let someone else USE HIM to get another job and more money. I wish Paris well but this track record from our AD is beyond old.

I don't disagree at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT