ADVERTISEMENT

We need to get behind Coach Paris 100%

I went back and watched a couple of the Chattanooga games. Hard to find. But, this coach deserves a chance. He can coach and I see nothing that would make me think he can’t coach here “on the floor.” Now, whether he can recruit at SEC level and whether he can handle all the stress of a program at this level remains to be seen. But I think he knows basketball and can handle and discipline players (get them to play as he wishes). I wish him the best and am pulling for him to lead the Gamecocks to success and excitement.

Does that include the Beamer hire?
Absolutely. And that was the mindset on the news of the hire and the beginning of the season. Did Beamer exceed 1st year expectations, yes of course. But one year does not a tenure make. Expectations are high for this year, but it will still be a wait and see if those expectations can be met.

Absolutely. And that was the mindset on the news of the hire and the beginning of the season. Did Beamer exceed 1st year expectations, yes of course. But one year does not a tenure make. Expectations are high for this year, but it will still be a wait and see if those expectations can be met.
I like the fact that you are reasonable and not emotional in your posts. 7-6 was a good first year but if we don’t build on it with substantially upgraded talent, it will be all for not.

Sometimes the ending tends to fade out the in season struggles like Vandy, East Carolina, Tennessee, Troy and Clemsux. Those games were part of that season as well and they were not a thing of beauty.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
I'm hopeful. The one thing that Shane has done is that he *has* built on that first year by getting Rattler, Stogner and the strong transfers. Just as importantly, he has gotten people like Vann to stay. Martin was never able to build on that Final Four; as Sin himself noted PJ left right afterwards when he could have been the foundation. Shane just needs some luck in keeping Rattler healthy.

I'm hopeful. The one thing that Shane has done is that he *has* built on that first year by getting Rattler, Stogner and the strong transfers. Just as importantly, he has gotten people like Vann to stay. Martin was never able to build on that Final Four; as Sin himself noted PJ left right afterwards when he could have been the foundation. Shane just needs some luck in keeping Rattler healthy.
Also, while we all remember the ugly losses, there were also great wins where we showed a lot of heart; there were some where a Muschamp led team would have folded.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Shane needs to bring in a strong class from the high school ranks. You don't want to regularly depend heavily on the portal.

I went back and watched a couple of the Chattanooga games. Hard to find. But, this coach deserves a chance. He can coach and I see nothing that would make me think he can’t coach here “on the floor.” Now, whether he can recruit at SEC level remains to be seen.
Agree with all that.

It's the going rate for incompetent ADs for sure! Yet again he let someone else USE HIM to get another job and more money. I wish Paris well but this track record from our AD is beyond old.
Well, it seems we have a lot of incompetent ADs in the SEC. That or you are not very clever.

5 Full seasons of rebuilding a struggling program at UTC. there's no real substance to this lack of experience statement? We're just going to overlook the Wisconsin stint? That experience doesn't factor in at all?
lol a struggling UTC program? He has coached them 2 one conference season better than the season, when he took over.I guess they have been struggling for 4 of his 5 years?

I'm sorry did you actually have a point?
Consider who Florida, LSU and Mississippi State hired and how much they paid their new coaches....based on your theory their ADs are just as incompetent as ours.....or are you simply looking at things in a vacuum and, if so, that makes you not so clever?

Consider who Florida, LSU and Mississippi State hired and how much they paid their new coaches....based on your theory their ADs are just as incompetent as ours.....or are you simply looking at things in a vacuum and, if so, that makes you not so clever?
I don't care how much they paid. We are paying a buyout for a coach that we might as well had kept if our 4th and maybe even 5th choice was the best we could do. That's my point!

Paris might be a swell guy but this isn't about Paris. It's about Ray's ability to completely sh*t the bed at any time he is given a chance. This isn't the first and it won't be the last. As the Board Member said to him awhile back "don't F this up"

I will give you Florida, but the other 2 hired much more proven head coaches. Hell Horn was much more proven than this guy. To say this was a hail marry hire, is being generous. But I guess Ray has earned gamecock faithful's trust, with his hires thus far. Ohh wait....

I will give you Florida, but the other 2 hired much more proven head coaches. Hell Horn was much more proven than this guy. To say this was a hail marry hire, is being generous. But I guess Ray has earned gamecock faithful's trust, with his hires thus far. Ohh wait....
We gave a 4th and possibly even 5th place candidate $2.2 Million as compared to Martin who was being paid $3.2 million.

Paris was knocking down $250K at UTC. On top of that we paid his buyout to Chattanooga of $450,000.00 an agreed to a buyout of 65% for separation for no cause.

But in the end this may be the best thing ever to have happened because it appears that there are several members of the BOT that were livid with this deal and one that voted against it.

Take a closer look at Mississippi State's coach and where he coached.....all JUCO's.

Sorry but McMahon's experience isn't much if any more than Paris'. Both are about the same.

We gave a 4th and possibly even 5th place candidate $2.2 Million as compared to Martin who was being paid $3.2 million.

Paris was knocking down $250K at UTC. On top of that we paid his buyout to Chattanooga of $450,000.00 an agreed to a buyout of 65% for separation for no cause.

But in the end this may be the best thing ever to have happened because it appears that there are several members of the BOT that were livid with this deal and one that voted against it.
Know two of them....and that's not true. One voted against it, period.

Know two of them....and that's not true. One voted against it, period.
And exactly what did I say? Look its apparent you just like to argue about anything. All I can tell you is what I said. Several were upset at the deal and one in fact voted NO.

You think you're the only person that knows a BOT member or two? Geezh

And exactly what did I say? Look its apparent you just like to argue about anything. All I can tell you is what I said. Several were upset at the deal and one in fact voted NO.

You think you're the only person that knows a BOT member or two? Geezh
I just tell where I get my information and I know I'm not the only poster on this board who knows a Trustee or two. Our information typically matches up.

Take a closer look at Mississippi State's coach and where he coached.....all JUCO's.

Sorry but McMahon's experience isn't much if any more than Paris'. Both are about the same.
Yep Jans coached at nmst for 5 years, finished 1st 4 of this years in his conference and made the tourney 3 years (would have been 4 if not covid 16-0)
Mcmahon's finishing in first place in his conference 5 times, making the tourney 3 times

Paris finished 10th, 5th, 5th, 4th, and 1st first place with 1 tournament appearance.

Tell me you're just trolling me and aren't this dumb.

Reactions: Clevercock3
Yep Jans coached at nmst for 5 years, finished 1st 4 of this years in his conference and made the tourney 3 years (would have been 4 if not covid 16-0)
Mcmahon's finishing in first place in his conference 5 times, making the tourney 3 times

Paris finished 10th, 5th, 5th, 4th, and 1st first place with 1 tournament appearance.

You are correct. I totally misread Jans history especially regarding NMSU.

I would have liked McMahon but by the time Xavier put their hat into the Miller sweepstakes, he was gone. Eventhough he is not as much of a home-run hire as Miller (who was really the only "big time" coach available), I actually like McMahon more than Miller simply because Miller is still facing NCAA sanctions....that is the one area that due diligence couldn't clear up for us or Xavier.

Last edited:
You are correct. I totally misread Jans history especially regarding NMSU.

I would have liked McMahon but by the time Xavier put their hat into the Miller sweepstakes, he was gone. Eventhough he is not as much of a home-run hire as Miller (who was really the only "big time" coach available), I actually like McMahon more than Miller simply because Miller is still facing NCAA sanctions....that is the one area that due diligence couldn't clear up for us or Xavier.
fair enough. Hopefully Paris can give our bball program a jolt of life, not very optimistic about it though. I'm very disappointed/jadded in our athletic program since Tanner took over the AD.

I think this is the first time Chris Jans has really been referenced on this board other than rogue cock referencing the hire.

I think Jans would have been a solid hire. I really didn’t have him on my radar but I could see him doing some good work in Starkville. This will be an interesting thing to watch because the programs are basically in similar shape.

McMahon was in my Top 3. Paris was not. But, to be fair, Murray State has traditionally been a better basketball school than UT Chattanooga. In the past 20 years, Murray State has had nearly twice as many 20-win seasons than UT Chattanooga. And, of course, Steve Newton came to South Carolina in the early 1990s from Murray State, where he was very successful. So, is it the school (program) or the coach at Murray State? Like I said, I like McMahon. He could end up being successful at LSU. But, most hires are crapshoots. Hell, Frank Martin was very successful at major school Kansas State but could not get it done here.

Can it get done at South Carolina? Yes, I believe it can. Martin had that ONE magical year here. Eddie Fogler had 2 VERY good seasons here being seeded #2 and #3 in the NCAA Tournament before choking in the first round twice. The problem with both Martin and Fogler was that they were, to put it gently, "indifferent" recruiters. Thus, they could not sustain any success.

I'm not going to repeat here why I believe Paris is a good "coach and developer"..... a good "X's and O's game day coach". You can click on my handle and read what I posted yesterday. What I will repeat is that the question mark on Paris is whether he is a good recruiter. I don't know the answer to that. We will find out. If he is, then he will bring to the program an asset that both Fogler and Martin lacked. If he is a good recruiter, to go along with his "coaching" ability, then we will have found a "diamond in the rough".

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT