ADVERTISEMENT

We really need this QB

Manning02

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2004
In high school he threw for:
Junior Year....254 com... 425 att... 3832 yds... 59.8%... 319.3 Y/G... 48 TD's... 9 Int's
Senior Year....306 com... 497 att... 4701 yds... 61.6%... 361.6 Y/G... 63 TD's... 0 Int's
Total...............560 com... 922 att... 8533 yds... 60.7%... 341.3 Y/G... 111 TD's... 9 Int's

-4* QB
-Rivals250 prospect
-Among his multiple offers were:
Bama
Auburn
LSU

...Oh wait...we already have him. It's Connor Mitch. I thought some of you might need to be reminded that Connor isn't some bum who lucked on to the team. He has plenty of talent and potential. And for those who like to keep saying he can't beat out a walk-on, join insider and you'll find out it really hasn't been much of a race. Connor is clearly our QB. Also, I would like to remind some of you that think that Connor is a bust that he is still a Rs Sophomore. He was a RS. Freshman last season. Jacob Park, the QB that some on here believed was the best thing since sliced bread, is a RS Freshman on UGA's roster and he is only 3rd on their depth chart with a 3 star above him battling a 4 star for the starting spot. So does he now have no talent or potential since he can't beat out a "lowly" 3 star for at least the 2nd spot???

How about we give Connor a chance before we start calling him a bust. There is a reason why the coaches believe he can do well for us.

Nice stats. Let's hope he has a grasp on the system, can make the reads and escape a few sacks... and hopefully he'll have more than one target (fay-row).

The issue is not about Mitch's talent and/or potential, it's about his inexperience. The fact that he has minimal snaps in live games, is very concerning to me. We need to see him as the starting QB, making decisions on a football field and then executing under pressure. Bottom line, we need to see him in action. So he can prove that he deserves to be there. Outside of that, it's pure speculation.

Hope that Connor can do well for us this fall. What scares me the most is we are one injury away from being in dire straits at QB. If something were to happen to CM, I guess that SOS would put the walk on Perry Orth out on the field. Not a reassuring thought.

Hope that Connor can do well for us this fall. What scares me the most is we are one injury away from being in dire straits at QB. If something were to happen to CM, I guess that SOS would put the walk on Perry Orth out on the field. Not a reassuring thought.

Hence, it would be nice to have another experienced QB on the roster. I wonder where we could find one?

When I looked at those stats, I asked myself why aren't we recruiting him and why haven't I heard of him? He may surprise us and outdo Connor.

The issue is not about Mitch's talent and/or potential, it's about his inexperience. The fact that he has minimal snaps in live games, is very concerning to me. We need to see him as the starting QB, making decisions on a football field and then executing under pressure. Bottom line, we need to see him in action. So he can prove that he deserves to be there. Outside of that, it's pure speculation.

I agree but that isn't the case for many on here. Plenty on here have already written him off as having no talent before he has ever really gotten a chance.

Reactions: IrmoRed
This is not some high school league that we are playing in and those stats mean nothing right now. Barely being able to beat out a walk on is scary. No experience and that is the HBC's fault and Ward's fault because of the crappy 2nd half defense we had last year. We have gotten lazy in the recruiting wars for good QB's.

This is not some high school league that we are playing in and those stats mean nothing right now. Barely being able to beat out a walk on is scary. No experience and that is the HBC's fault and Ward's fault because of the crappy 2nd half defense we had last year. We have gotten lazy in the recruiting wars for good QB's.
McIlwain?

Junior Year....254 com... 425 att... 3832 yds... 59.8%... 319.3 Y/G... 48 TD's... 9 Int's
Senior Year....306 com... 497 att... 4701 yds... 61.6%... 361.6 Y/G... 63 TD's... 0 Int's
Total...............560 com... 922 att... 8533 yds... 60.7%... 341.3 Y/G... 111 TD's... 9 Int's

-4* QB
-Rivals250 prospect
Bama
Auburn
LSU

...Oh wait...we already have him. It's Connor Mitch. I thought some of you might need to be reminded that Connor isn't some bum who lucked on to the team. He has plenty of talent and potential. And for those who like to keep saying he can't beat out a walk-on, join insider and you'll find out it really hasn't been much of a race. Connor is clearly our QB. Also, I would like to remind some of you that think that Connor is a bust that he is still a Rs Sophomore. He was a RS. Freshman last season. Jacob Park, the QB that some on here believed was the best thing since sliced bread, is a RS Freshman on UGA's roster and he is only 3rd on their depth chart with a 3 star above him battling a 4 star for the starting spot. So does he now have no talent or potential since he can't beat out a "lowly" 3 star for at least the 2nd spot???

How about we give Connor a chance before we start calling him a bust. There is a reason why the coaches believe he can do well for us.
No INT's his senior year? I don't care who you are that impressive.

I followed Mitch in high school and hoped we might get him. Just don't understand the negative vibes about anything relating to our teams that so any exude from their pores on here. The great and wonderful Watson had no college experience as did his magnificence Manziel, who was buried in the depth chart. Plenty of very good QB's had to wait for their opportunity like Mitch did behind two of our best ever QB's. A dose of sedative might help as well as some laxative to clear out the system..

Its like people shout "we're all going to die" at every bump in the road. I'm no sunshine pumper but am smart enough to know that making yourself sick over what some teenagers are going to do on a sport field is unhealthy.

Reactions: Tigerof66

-4* QB
-Rivals250 prospect
Bama
Auburn
LSU

bring back the biddies, (wouldn't mind seeing this start back up for those not goin' to see any playin time their fresh yr),

besides another friday night out @ the stadium the younger ones no longer have. it was like a test run for sat game day......make yer stop @ party town on rosewood comin' or goin' .

\
........And your ignorance has infiltrated yet another thread.

Nunez threw for two TDs last year. Everyone I've talked to says that doesn't matter he was a one man team. I hope so. If one allows that then it also follows not to get carried away in the other direction by a guy who has gaudy HS stats.

Reactions: IrmoRed
Mitch will be fine this year if he doesn't have constant pressure in the pocket and I believe he will have ample pass protection. We may struggle to run at times, esp in short yardage situations, but we have been solid in pass protection since coach Elliot took over. Mitch just needs game experience and thick skin

Gra
\
........And your ignorance has infiltrated yet another thread.

Perhaps there really is no QB battle and it's just spurriers way of keeping it competitive. I think it was obvious in the spring game that Mitch is leaps and bounds a better QB than orth. Timing, decision making, accuracy, poise in the pocket. Heck if even put MS over perry orth after that showing, but it was one small sample size in the spring game. But I liked what I saw from the entire offense.

Listen if Mitch gets off to a good start against UNCarolina and gains some confidence, I believe we are going to be fine at QB. Especially if we can get the running game cranked up.

Reactions: bmhood1984
Mitch will be fine this year if he doesn't have constant pressure in the pocket and I believe he will have ample pass protection. We may struggle to run at times, esp in short yardage situations, but we have been solid in pass protection since coach Elliot took over. Mitch just needs game experience and thick skin
Evidently you haven't watched our offensive line get man handled last year. They couldn't stop a little league pass rush.

-4* QB
-Rivals250 prospect
Bama
Auburn
LSU

You had me going on that one. The talent is there and he has shown it. I have some North Carolina friends who saw him play in High School and they say he was and will be the real deal. Come on football.

I certainly hope he shows up for us this year. I am not one to jump the gun, but those stats look very promising.

I just want to see him in a live game, but I will never be a sunshine pumper so forgive me for my skepticism.

-The Brain

You had me going on that one. The talent is there and he has shown it. I have some North Carolina friends who saw him play in High School and they say he was and will be the real deal. Come on football.

I was living in the town of Wake Forest when Mitch was in high school. I had the priveldge of mentoring one of the defensive lineman for Wake Forest- Rolesville High (rival of Mitch's WakeField High, separated by about 3 or 4 miles) during that time. He was telling me about Mitch long before USC was pursuing him heavily. Every time I saw Mitch play, he didn't disappoint. For his whole 4 year career, he threw for a little over 12,000 yards and 150+ TD's. The 12,000+ yards is second in NC history, only behind Chris Leak's 15,000+ yards. Mitch also threw 9 TD's in one game, a state record and one shy of tying the national record. It was a 70-42 game so they weren't trying to get him the record, they had to leave him in until the game out of reach late. Mitch also had at least 3 other games where he threw 7 TD's.

He had SEC offers from Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, and Vandy.

Yeah, but OP was trying to IMPRESS people.....

seriously, Mitch came into the program higher regarded by a substantial degree over both Shaw and Thompson. He deserves his opportunity. As was posted above, it would've been great if he had more in-game experience, but this is his 3rd year in the program, and he should have a solid understanding of the playbook. This season may be a bit bumpy for him, but if he can improve through the season, we may have an excellent QB for the next 2 seasons...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT