ADVERTISEMENT

*** Weekend Recruiting scoop: Jordan Burch, Ger-Cari Caldwell (1 p.m. Sunday update)

W

Wes Mitchell

Chris and I will keep all of our recruiting info for the weekend right here in this thread by editing this top post.

SUNDAY UPDATES

1 p.m. update: Ger-Cari Caldwell
has now wrapped up his official visit to South Carolina and I believe that Jordan Burch has either wrapped up his visit too or is in the process of completing it as I'm typing this early Sunday afternoon. (LINK: Full story with quotes from Caldwell)

Caldwell was hosted on the OV by newcomer O'Donnell Fortune who told him that he loves it at South Carolina so far and was also informing him about some of the adjustments to the program like the morning workouts.

Again, Caldwell is down to South Carolina and Tennessee, and is set to make his announcement at 10 a.m. on Wednesday. The Gamecocks remain in great shape here.

To reiterate what I said last night, I don't think the visit could have gone much better in regards to Jordan Burch. I cannot enter a Futurecast prediction right now because it's locked with Burch already being committed, but if I could I would enter one in for the Gamecocks.

The info I'm hearing goes a bit beyond the typical positive news you hear on official visits and I believe Carolina did everything it possible could to make Burch and his mother feel comfortable on the trip while highlighting the values of playing for your home state and in the same community you played high school ball.

I don't know if I've ever seen South Carolina put more time and effort into a recruit than I've seen from Muschamp and the Gamecocks staff with Burch. Muschamp has led the way for sure and he's been the point man, but it's been an entire team effort from top to bottom with Mike Peterson also playing an instrumental role in this recruitment.

I'd look for Burch and family to sit down one last time in the next couple of days (prior to Wednesday) and make sure they've settled on a final decision, but right now my feel is that he sticks and signs with South Carolina on Wednesday.

8:10 a.m. (Chris) -
Here's our story on big-time 2022 DL Travis Shaw's visit to Columbia:
https://southcarolina.n.rivals.com/news/talented-nc-dl-visits-columbia-for-first-time

SATURDAY UPDATES

y1yi35z3ttxa91ay72ds

10 p.m. Saturday update:

As we mentioned earlier, Burch spent most of the game sitting right behind the basketball team bench with Will Muschamp to his left and Muschamp's son, Whit, to his right. Burch's mom and the rest of his family was also there along with Mike Peterson.

They stayed for most of the game before Muschamp and Burch left together before ultimately having dinner together (along with the family) tonight.

Earlier in the day, there was a team council that featured current players including some of the newcomers and both the visitors and their families were able to separately ask questions and quiz the players about their experiences here without the staff around.

As Saturday wraps up, the feedback for South Carolina has been extremely positive and I don't think the weekend could have gone much better so far.

Wide receiver Ger-Cari Caldwell also made it in after a late basketball game on Friday night and I remain confident with where the Gamecocks are with him heading into his Wednesday announcement.

3:40 update (Chris):
Meant to mention, 2022 NC standout Travis Shaw is also in town visiting today. Two sport athlete (hoops) who could is a big-time DL prospect.

3:30 update (Wes):
Jordan Burch is sitting behind the basketball team bench with Will Muschamp and his mom.

3:30 update (Chris): Two additional visitors today from the state of Georgia: 2021 Elbert County DE Marlin Dean and 2023 ATH Christian Harris.

Both visited with their head high school coach, and Harris landed his first scholarship offer from the Gamecocks today

11 a.m., Saturday update: Jordan Burch and his mom made it over last night to the official visit hotel, so that's officially on.

Last night was quite a display for South Carolina as Mike Peterson, Kyle Krantz, John Scott Jr., Eric Wolford, Bryan McClendon, Mike Bobo, Bobby Bentley, Ryan Hilinski, Zacch Pickens and Joe Anderson all took in Burch's basketball game.

In the brief feedback I've heard today, I'm told that it went a long way towards making Burch feel special, especially the fact that the players took the time on a Friday night to come watch him play.

I don't want to play armchair body language expert, but I've been at several Hammond basketball games this year, and Burch seemed to have a little extra "juice" on Friday night and seemed to want to perform well with those guys watching. He had 22 points, a bunch of rebounds and two or three blocks and played with a lot of energy. It's really as outgoing as I believe I've seen him.

Alex Huntley, who plays basketball with Burch was out with a minor injury. Huntley has a prior engagement in Charleston this morning, but there's a possibility that he makes it back over later today to hang out during the visit. Hammond defensive back Fabian Goodman and fullback Bradley Dunn, who both plan to walk on at South Carolina, are also expected to be on campus.

Burch will definitely be at South Carolina's basketball game this afternoon against Missouri. Recruits almost always attend if there's a basketball game during their official visit, but it's worth noting that Burch is an avid basketball fan, knows Frank Martin and staff and has visited as a basketball player before.

We'll, of course reassess where things are after the visit leading into Wednesday, but the last 24 hours have gone very well for the Gamecocks.

Ger-Cari Caldwell had a late basketball game last night. I am asking around to confirm that he definitely made it in, though I have no reason to think he didn't. Still very comfortable with where Carolina stands with Caldwell.

Once we get more, I'll post it as always.

FRIDAY UPDATES

8:30 p.m. Friday update: Burch with 11 points, 3 boards and 2 blocks at the half by my very unofficial count.

8:20 p.m. Friday update:

Burch has 5 points, a couple of boards and a big block through a little over a quarter.

Tucker Toman, son of former Gamecock baseball assistant, Jim Toman, has a sweet stroke and some swag about him.

Mike Peterson is in the house now and hanging with Burch’s mom.

Still no sign of LSU, leading me to believe they ain’t coming.

** Second update: Ryan Hilinski, Zacch Pickens and Joe Anderson are all at the game too.

** Original update: As we’ve reported previously, Jordan Burch’s Hammond team is set to take on Heathwood Hall in basketball tonight before his official visit can begin.

We are expecting a huge group of Carolina coaches at the game prior to the official.

So far, Bobby Bentley, Thomas Brown, John Scott, Jr., Mike Bobo and Kyle Krantz are all already at Heathwood and the game hasn’t even started yet.

For offensive assistants to be there, says a ton about how much of a priority that Burch is. Head coach Will Muschamp has already used his one in-person visit and thus can’t be at the game by NCAA rule.

We’ll continue to update throughout the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.