Sec 4, Row 1, Seat 16 Carolina Stadium
#16 in BA

#20 in CB

Wes Clarke one of CB's National POTW

Up 1 to #17 in D1Baseball

Last edited:
200.gif

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Only dropped 4 to #16 in D1Baseball after going 1-3 for the week.

Down 2 to #12 in Baseball America

From the doom and gloom crowd you'd think we need to cancel the rest of the season since we can't compete with good teams. I'm sure we'll be fine.
I've watched way too much baseball in my lifetime to let one weekend, on the road, against an equally ranked team, change my outlook on the season. Especially this early.
Do we have some problems to address? Yes.
Can they be fixed? Absolutely. And they aren't fixed by giving up. Perhaps we, the team and fans alike, needed this weekend to get our heads back on straight.

I'm certainly not ready to write the obituary for this team yet. It is, after all, one series.

But I don't exactly have the warm and fuzzies after this weekend either. Our batting issues didn't just suddenly come out of nowhere. The warning signs have been there for several weeks. And the fielding errors were also troubling.

But I'm curious to see how we respond. Hopefully we'll lighten up and embrace the challenge that our schedule presents. No better way to start than sticking it to Vandy and Florida.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Maybe for starters, eliminate the walks.

Also eliminate the throws into left field for a guy you had picked-off after he was walked.

I've watched way too much baseball in my lifetime to let one weekend, on the road, against an equally ranked team, change my outlook on the season. Especially this early.
Do we have some problems to address? Yes.
Can they be fixed? Absolutely. And they aren't fixed by giving up. Perhaps we, the team and fans alike, needed this weekend to get our heads back on straight.
I think the biggest issue Carolina baseball has had for the past several years is hitting with runners on and in scoring position. I feel like we always are leaving runners on. I think once this weekend we had runner on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and got nothing. This was a Holbrook trademark and is still an issue with Kingston. I think if we can do better there, we go to next level. We seem to be good everywhere else for most part. Those are things that change momentum in games in a big way.

I think the biggest issue Carolina baseball has had for the past several years is hitting with runners on and in scoring position. I feel like we always are leaving runners on. I think once this weekend we had runner on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and got nothing. This was a Holbrook trademark and is still an issue with Kingston. I think if we can do better there, we go to next level. We seem to be good everywhere else for most part. Those are things that change momentum in games in a big way.
It's something that has been improving this season, until this weekend. I certainly don't think it's something that is not fixable. I could tell this weekend our guys were pushing a lot at the plate this weekend. Maybe the size of the ballpark was getting to them, knowing that their "normal" swing wouldn't get the job done.

Of course we go to Vandy with their jacked up outfield, and more stupid turf, this weekend. But at least we have better history in Nashville than we do against Texas.

Only dropped 4 to #16 in D1Baseball after going 1-3 for the week.

Down 2 to #12 in Baseball America
Pretty big drop like I said would happen. @king ward

I am still trying to figure out how good this team is. I’d say- we clearly are not quite the juggernaut I thought we were during the heat of our 10-0 start... But we are also not as bad at the plate as we looked during the midst of the 6 game loss streak/slump. I seems to me we saw what this team is this weekend- gritty, determined, playing with a chip on their shoulder. We have good athletes, we have some big bats, solid pitching, and our fielding is getting better! Solid D up the middle of the infield- Pro-caliber center fielder with range and hops, and the rest of the positions are certainly SEC caliber. This team can be very good if we avoid more two week ling batting slumps! Our record and the resume of wins over ranked teams certainly tells me we deserve a top 15 ranking right now.

For such an early season it feels like they have already accomplished a lot! Won the tater series and SWEPT top 5 UF for the first time in 15 years! Great start.

Reactions: JGH 35
I am still trying to figure out how good this team is. I’d say- we clearly are not quite the juggernaut I thought we were during the heat of our 10-0 start... But we are also not as bad at the plate as we looked during the midst of the 6 game loss streak/slump. I seems to me we saw what this team is this weekend- gritty, determined, playing with a chip on their shoulder. We have good athletes, we have some big bats, solid pitching, and our fielding is getting better! Solid D up the middle of the infield- Pro-caliber center fielder with range and hops, and the rest of the positions are certainly SEC caliber. This team can be very good if we avoid more two week ling batting slumps! Our record and the resume of wins over ranked teams certainly tells me we deserve a top 15 ranking right now.

For such an early season it feels like they have already accomplished a lot! Won the tater series and SWEPT top 5 UF for the first time in 15 years! Great start.
If you'd told me we would be 4-2 after opening SEC weekends against Vandy and UF, I'd have thought you were crazy. But I'll take it. That Sunday Vandy win, and this Sweep, are going to do wonders for the psychological makeup of this team. Just still need to keep our heads about us because it doesn't get any easier, by any means.

Good job, you answered your own question! I'm right there with you we're a top 15 team with room to move up! A lot of our opponents are going to be beating each other up and jostling positions, no biggie!

If you'd told me we would be 4-2 after opening SEC weekends against Vandy and UF, I'd have thought you were crazy. But I'll take it. That Sunday Vandy win, and this Sweep, are going to do wonders for the psychological makeup of this team. Just still need to keep our heads about us because it doesn't get any easier, by any means.
I just hope we stay focused with Georgia and Mizz up next in Conference. I am not saying we will sweep but it is possible since they both seem down this year and we seem to have some confidence back. It would be incredible to start conference play at 10-2 before we play alot of the other top teams.

I think one of the biggest things we could do right now is cut down on the number of leadoff flyouts. Imagine were we would be if most of our innings started with a base runner instead of an out.

Says every team in history.
True. But we are worse about it (leadoff flyouts) than most. Point is the team has room for growth and this is an area easily fixable to be better. It's one of the last things that is screaming old gamecocks... and not the championship ones. Leadoff has a job to do and we are not doing it.

Reactions: roosterbell
Our flaws are few. The question is: how chronic are they?
Base Running & Walks

& we finally waive a runner home from second and he gets thrown out, a better slide maybe........... I am willing to give Mr. Clarke the benefit of the doubt, but we have held a lot of folks at second, and missed some tag up opportunities.

Did I mention WALKS.........

To be where we are I am over the moon pleased, if we can hang around the top 3/4 of the SEC, that means host regional & shot at a super. That is where we need to look most years. Our pitching will get a bit sharper, we cant have the hitting check out for multiple games & I am hopeful they have the slumps etc... out of the way.

Base Running & Walks

& we finally waive a runner home from second and he gets thrown out, a better slide maybe........... I am willing to give Mr. Clarke the benefit of the doubt, but we have held a lot of folks at second, and missed some tag up opportunities.

Did I mention WALKS.........

To be where we are I am over the moon pleased, if we can hang around the top 3/4 of the SEC, that means host regional & shot at a super. That is where we need to look most years. Our pitching will get a bit sharper, we cant have the hitting check out for multiple games & I am hopeful they have the slumps etc... out of the way.
In all fairness, we have much faster guys that should be waved home in that situation than Wes.

The improvement in talent over the last few years is quite evident and the team seems to be playing as a "team". It's great to see the excitement amongst them. It's reminiscent of the Tanner days.

There are always areas that can improve but we look like an SEC team for a change. The pitching is deep with some quality power arms. That alone can take you places in the post season with decent hitting. Defense has also been solid to this point at pretty much all levels.

We have the potential to make a deep post season run. That's something you couldn't say the past few seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT