ADVERTISEMENT

WEEKLY COLLEGE BASEBALL RANKINGS & POTW

UF is good and they took 2 of 3 from Ole Miss. But to me it seems the polls are just desperate to get UF back in the top 10.

Correct ma’am 😉!
But you knew that already.
when we have folks on 2nd & 3rd & score 1 off a double I grind teeth

Sometimes we have folks on 2nd & 3rd & score 1 off a double because they ignore 2nd and throw home to prevent the 2nd score, thus allowing the hitter to run through 1st and reach 2nd safely. Thus what would normally be a single ends up a as a fielder's choice double.

But if they hit it far enough that they can reach 2nd safely even with the throw coming to 2nd, and only 1 of those 2 score, then I agree with your gritting.....

Reactions: rogue cock
The rating percentage index, commonly known as the RPI, is a quantity used to rank sports teams based upon a team's wins and losses and its strength of schedule.
Also known as a gimmick we borrowed from the college basketball talking heads back when they only let 64 teams in their tournament. I wonder if we need to update to Ken Pom and 4 more teams via play in games?
I really don’t wonder 64 is almost too plentiful unless you are outside looking in

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
so what does that average too?? About hmmmmm.... let me see................ wow................. this is tough..................... 10

So we haven't moved an inch in D1Baseball over the past 2 weeks, which is the ranking the NCAA uses. We'll move considerably after this weekend, one way or another.....

Reactions: bflogger28
Only down 2 to #13 in D1Baseball.

Only down 3 to #12 in Baseball America.

Oregon and Arizona jumped us, that figures, they're just trying to level the Regional field and we're the odd man out! No worries, just need to take care of business in the upcoming weeks and it will all take care of itself!

Reactions: jweaks
Lotta people down on the team for striking out so much this weekend (29 times). On 107.5 today Kingston pointed out that Arkansas,maby the best offense in the country, struck out 28 times

Reactions: PC31
Lotta people down on the team for striking out so much this weekend (29 times). On 107.5 today Kingston pointed out that Arkansas,maby the best offense in the country, struck out 28 times
So he's not concerned about our number of strikeouts?

So he's not concerned about our number of strikeouts?
I didn’t say that and neither did Kingston. In fact stated he wasn’t happy with it but pointed out that there are more strikeouts in college and big leagues lately than in recent history.

Reactions: PC31
I didn’t say that and neither did Kingston. In fact stated he wasn’t happy with it but pointed out that there are more strikeouts in college and big leagues lately than in recent history.
Just asking. I didnt get any of that out of your original post. Thanks

Reactions: hillstosea
Dear Lord y'all. Just because someone compares a stat doesn't mean that they aren't concerned about said stat on our side.
Yeah our hitting is less than stellar, but damn our pitching fared well against #1.
And let's be honest here...how many of us honestly expected better than 1-2 this past weekend? If you did, I want some of what you're drinking/smoking.

Our pitching will keep us in most of these series this year. That's very encouraging.

The biggest difference I saw between our hitters and Arkansas is we seem to be a little over anxious. The Arkansas hitters as a whole seemed to lay off the borderline pitches, and it shows in their on base percentage as a team. They don't mind drawing walks.

It might benefit our guys especially the first time through the lineup, to be a little more patient and just get a better feel for the pitcher. We had way too many one and two pitch outs in my opinion.

Our pitching will keep us in most of these series this year. That's very encouraging.

The biggest difference I saw between our hitters and Arkansas is we seem to be a little over anxious. The Arkansas hitters as a whole seemed to lay off the borderline pitches, and it shows in their on base percentage as a team. They don't mind drawing walks.

It might benefit our guys especially the first time through the lineup, to be a little more patient and just get a better feel for the pitcher. We had way too many one and two pitch outs in my opinion.
Of course then people will start complaining that we are watching the best pitch (usually the first pitch you see in an AB) go by us.

Of course then people will start complaining that we are watching the best pitch (usually the first pitch you see in an AB) go by us.
That may be true for some people, but that will never be my perspective. Personally I always got more and more comfortable with a pitcher the more I got to see him.

We have too many hitters, in my personal opinion, that never get to that point. I understand it's a little more of a conservative approach, but to get to a bullpen sometimes you have to make a guy work. Don't follow up a walk by swinging at the first bad pitch. Just too many easy one and two pitch outs for me.

That may be true for some people, but that will never be my perspective. Personally I always got more and more comfortable with a pitcher the more I got to see him.

We have too many hitters, in my personal opinion, that never get to that point. I understand it's a little more of a conservative approach, but to get to a bullpen sometimes you have to make a guy work. Don't follow up a walk by swinging at the first bad pitch. Just too many easy one and two pitch outs for me.
Yeah...it was sarcasm.

There have been numerous times, where people will complain we're watching too many first pitches go by us, then the next game, complain that we're swinging at too many first pitches. Heck, even changed the tune in the middle of games before.

Down 6 to #19 in D1Baseball.

Down 3 to #15 in Baseball America.

RPI is the only thing keeping us in the top 20. We are not a top 20 team. Probably not a top 25 team. I am not being a Debbie Downer, we can do better, but it just ain't happening right now. We can't win on the road, we can't hit other than some dingers, and the pitching is much too inconsistent.

If want to host a regional, we'll have to get on a big win streak because that door is almost shut.

RPI is the only thing keeping us in the top 20. We are not a top 20 team. Probably not a top 25 team. I am not being a Debbie Downer, we can do better, but it just ain't happening right now. We can't win on the road, we can't hit other than some dingers, and the pitching is much too inconsistent.

If want to host a regional, we'll have to get on a big win streak because that door is almost shut.
Honestly, since the NCAA has "recommended" (read mandated) capacity be capped at 50% for Regionals/Supers, I wonder if it's even worth it to host. And with the way they are treating fans now at the ballpark, will the few of us in there even be able to generate a home field advantage.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT