ADVERTISEMENT

Well, had to hire a plumber for the first time ever...now need a second job.

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Giving the kids a bath the other night and turned the handle to shut the water off...but it didn't turn off. I took it all apart and tried manually turning the stem with pliers...still wouldn't turn off. Had to shut the main water supply off and we couldn't use water until we got it fixed, at least not for any prolonged time. Ordinarily, I'd have tinkered with it and looked online to figure it out, but that just wasn't an option. Had to hire a plumber to fix it b/c we needed to be able to use our water. Turns out the cartridge inside had busted and needed to be replaced. I had no idea such a thing even existed and wouldn't have been able to get the part locally anyway. Now that I know what it is, I looked it up on youtube. Takes like 5 minutes to replace. No specialty tools. Can get the cartridge on Amazon for less than $30.

Plumber charged $300...but "discounted" to $215. I was pretty shocked at the price and was sure I was getting ripped, but after asking around, it seems what he charged wasn't out of the ordinary for the area. I've always heard the jokes about how much plumbers charge, but figured it was a little bit of hyperbole.

Last edited:
Giving the kids a bath the other night and turned the handle to shut the water off...but it didn't turn off. I took it all apart and tried manually turning the stem with pliers...still wouldn't turn off. Had to shut the main water supply off and we couldn't use water until we got it fixed, at least not for any prolonged time. Ordinarily, I'd have tinkered with it and looked online to figure it out, but that just wasn't an option. Had to hire a plumber to fix it b/c we needed to be able to use our water. Turns out the cartridge inside had busted and needed to be replaced. I had no idea such a thing even existed and wouldn't have been able to get the part locally anyway. Now that I know what it is, I looked it up on youtube. Takes like 5 minutes to replace. No specialty tools. Can get the cartridge on Amazon for less than $30.

Plumber charged $300...but "discounted" to $215. I was pretty shocked at the price and was sure I was getting ripped, but after asking around, it seems what he charged wasn't out of the ordinary for the area. I've always heard the jokes about how much plumbers charge, but figured it was a little bit of hyperbole.
I feel you Man... Plumbers are like Lawyers, they have a license to steal. But if the Coat and Tie job ain't the fancy why not get the trade of a Plumber. (Good Money).

Have replaced one or two myself over the years. Very simple. Got the cartridges at Lowes, but with the shortages right now, they may have not had them in stock.

Plumbers can charge anything that they want, people will pay it. Have friends that are plumbers, they make bank.

Have replaced one or two myself over the years. Very simple. Got the cartridges at Lowes, but with the shortages right now, they may have not had them in stock.

Plumbers can charge anything that they want, people will pay it. Have friends that are plumbers, they make bank.

I will probably get a couple to have on hand in case one should go bad again. Definitely would have to order online and couldn't have done that without being able to use water for any extended period of time.

Yep, with a 4 year old, 2 year old and newborn, water is a must, so plumber was in the position of power. And I didn't even have time to get different quotes on cost.

After owning my own auto repair shop for 15 years I try not to judge others on what they charge for professional services. After all, we have no way of knowing what their overhead is, etc. That said, I agree that plumbers do seem to think very highly of their work. Like you, I try to do all of my own repairs. But sometimes you gotta leave it to the pros. That's when it's good if you know someone like a handyman who can do the work correctly but doesn't have the overhead of a company.

It pays to know somebody. That applies to most home & auto repairs. If they operate a service business that is their sole source of income, you are going to be charged on that basis. It will usually be an impactful charge. The guy I call is a plumber by trade but makes his living working for someone else on swimming pool issues. I come out a little better that way.

After owning my own auto repair shop for 15 years I try not to judge others on what they charge for professional services. After all, we have no way of knowing what their overhead is, etc. That said, I agree that plumbers do seem to think very highly of their work. Like you, I try to do all of my own repairs. But sometimes you gotta leave it to the pros. That's when it's good if you know someone like a handyman who can do the work correctly but doesn't have the overhead of a company.
It pays to know somebody. That applies to most home & auto repairs. If they operate a service business that is their sole source of income, you are going to be charged on that basis. It will usually be an impactful charge. The guy I call is a plumber by trade but makes his living working for someone else on swimming pool issues. I come out a little better that way.

Definitely the way to go. We've only lived here for 2 years so haven't made a ton close connections like that yet, but would be great to find someone like that.

Reactions: king ward
I try to do all plumbing repairs inside myself. I've replaced toilets, wax seals, faucets, and various other things. Same with electrical, except when it's 220, that crap will kill you. However, if it's in the crawlspace, I pay for it. I'm not afraid of snakes when I can see them, but I'll be danged if I'm going to chance running up on one underneath the house. Don't like the nope ropes. :)

I try to do all plumbing repairs inside myself. I've replaced toilets, wax seals, faucets, and various other things. Same with electrical, except when it's 220, that crap will kill you. However, if it's in the crawlspace, I pay for it. I'm not afraid of snakes when I can see them, but I'll be danged if I'm going to chance running up on one underneath the house. Don't like the nope ropes. :)
Same here. I worked as a plumber's helper one summer in HS. Through that experience I learned a few things. Namely, I learned that I didn't want to be a plumber! LOL! That said however, as stated above, they do pull off legalized theft. I'm very thankful that I also learned how to do some plumbing, and have saved myself probably $1000's over the years.

Case in point: After my Dad passed, Mom had an issue - long story short - a cleanout needed to be added between the house and the septic tank. She had a plumber give her a quote - $950!! I went to Lowe's and bought the parts and did it for her. I think I spent $20 on said parts.

Same here. I worked as a plumber's helper one summer in HS. Through that experience I learned a few things. Namely, I learned that I didn't want to be a plumber! LOL! That said however, as stated above, they do pull off legalized theft. I'm very thankful that I also learned how to do some plumbing, and have saved myself probably 1000's over the years.

Case in point: After my Dad passed, Mom had an issue - long story short - a cleanout needed to be added between the house and the septic tank. She had a plumber give her a quote - $950!! I went to Lowe's and bought the parts and did it for her. I think I spent $20 on said parts.

Since you were on the inside for a bit. Any explanation on why they charge so much? Just because they can?

Since you were on the inside for a bit. Any explanation on why they charge so much? Just because they can?
You give a 16yo far too much credit! LOL! My guess is they're kind of like gas stations in that; You gotta have the product/service, so what are you gonna do? Go without? Not much of an option for most, so you pay it.

Admittedly, it can be a very dirty job (obviously), with unpleasant locations and long hours.

Probably the worst job I worked on during that short time was totally replumbing a single-wide trailer. Underneath was a nightmare with spiders, bugs, and who knows what else - LOL! I remember places under there where there was barely room to fit between the ground and underneath.... still shudder about that today - LOL!

They are all over the place price wise. I'm converting a wood burning fireplace to gas. Got three bids to run a 75 ft line from the meter last week. One was 1600.00, one 2400.00 and one 4000.00. Funny thing is the 1600 and 2400 are willing to do it in a quality way where the 4000.00 dollar company seemed to want to take shortcuts that would have resulted in an unsightly job. The 1600.00 dollar guys will be here on Monday but I have no problem paying the 2400.00 guys if that falls through. That 2400 seems to be the average cost for the work I want done anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: 92Pony
I have a rusted sink trap in my bathroom so I can't use the sink and it has been a year or so because the quotes I got to replace it were pretty high. I'm going to have to bite the bullet next week. I respect the work that plumbers do and I shouldn't be so damn cheap. I guess I'll put some $$ on the Gamecocks to cover this weekend.

Service call fee, you didn't say if it was night or weekend. Per hour feeincluding going to the supply house, repair fee. Figure overheard for his van, insurance, licenses and profit. Probably $80-100 per hour.

weekday afternoon. Here less than an hour…much less.

I have a plumber who will make a house call and do repairs for $125 plus any parts he needs. I got to know him when we renovated our kitchen and bathroom. He can usually come with a few hours notice.

For anything major I have a home warranty. It costs me $70 a month and a $75 service fee. They have replaced every appliance in my house, paid to repair the roof and paid for replacing some old pipes that were leaking under the house. It also covers the AC and water heater. The AC is on its last legs. When it goes I'll drop the warranty.

HVAC tech, it's a lot to run this kind of service business, to make a decent living and turn a profit, you wanna clear at least $200 an hour. The standard is to charge what a tech with 5 years experience can do in an hour, you charge $200 give or take. When you're good enough to do it in half the time, in still charging the same price because you're paying for the repair and I'm getting paid for my knowledge, experience and expertise.

HVAC tech, it's a lot to run this kind of service business, to make a decent living and turn a profit, you wanna clear at least $200 an hour. The standard is to charge what a tech with 5 years experience can do in an hour, you charge $200 give or take. When you're good enough to do it in half the time, in still charging the same price because you're paying for the repair and I'm getting paid for my knowledge, experience and

HVAC tech, it's a lot to run this kind of service business, to make a decent living and turn a profit, you wanna clear at least $200 an hour. The standard is to charge what a tech with 5 years experience can do in an hour, you charge $200 give or take. When you're good enough to do it in half the time, in still charging the same price because you're paying for the repair and I'm getting paid for my knowledge, experience and expertise.
My uncle went to get a motor running for a man, he asked his helper to hand him the rubber mallet and hit the motor and it started right up. The man said, " you are not going to charge me for just hitting the motor are you? He said no, I'm going to charge you for knowing where to hit it!"

Last edited:
My uncle went to get a motor running for a man, he asked his helper to hand him the rubber mallet and hit the motor and it started right up. The man said, " your not going to charge me for just hitting the motor are you? He said no, I'm going to charge you for knowing where to hit it!"
My uncle is an anesthesiologist and i asked him one day how much he charges to put you to sleep. he said he does not charge to put you to sleep, but he charges a lot to wake you up.

Try & find an replacement cartridge for a home built in ‘23.

I’m in on sinks and most everything else but when it involves the shit pipe I’m out. We had an issue at our old house where roots got into our main line and the plumber charged me $100 to clean it out. When he was leaving he said next time I could do that myself and I told him no thanks. Regardless of whether those roots were full of stuff from my house or not I’d rather pay him the $100 than go shoulder deep in that.

Reactions: chief2791
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT