ADVERTISEMENT

Well, tickle me pink...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What must I do to inherit the Kingdom of God?

Go sell everything you own, distribute it to the poor, come and follow me.

And the young ruler went away very sad, because he was extremely wealthy
I'm not sure if you meant that to contradict his post, but I don't think it did. In that case, his love of his money was more than that of following Jesus.

But I'll admit, a truly righteous rich man is probably a rarity.

I'm not sure if you meant that to contradict his post, but I don't think it did. In that case, his love of his money was more than that of following Jesus.

But I'll admit, a truly righteous rich man is probably a rarity.
Leo Tolstoy eventually gave away all his wealth because he realized how contradictory it was to his beliefs - albeit it was late in his life

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Jeffrey Sachs estimates it would cost around 200 billion for 20 years but you certainly are more versed on economics than him (the 20 years to end it for good)

So Besos who could end world hunger and still be a billionaire - but doesn’t. That’s because he doesn’t love money huh?

I know it’s a very hard connection to make but if you have five houses when people go hungry and cold every night then you covet and love money.
I dont know that I buy that 1 person could end poverty. Remember where Jesus says "the poor will always be among you...."?? That being said, I have never seen any claim by Besos to be a Christian, other than possibly in name only. In fact, I would go so far as to say that 75% of professing "Christians" are so in name only and are going to be terribly shocked on judgement day. If Besos is not a Christian, how would we even expect him to be ready to wipe out poverty?

I dont know that I buy that 1 person could end poverty. Remember where Jesus says "the poor will always be among you...."?? That being said, I have never seen any claim by Besos to be a Christian, other than possibly in name only. In fact, I would go so far as to say that 75% of professing "Christians" are so in name only and are going to be terribly shocked on judgement day. If Besos is not a Christian, how would we even expect him to be ready to wipe out poverty?
I’m not saying he is Christian I am saying that it’s very sinful and I never hear any preachers damming him to hell fire on Sunday

To end malnutrition would cost around 10 billion a year.

to end world poverty is around 250 billion a year

Besos is approaching being worth a trillion dollars
And he didn't make that in "a year", Bezos would be broke before year 2 or 3.

I'm a pretty generous person, if there's a need, I'll gladly give. Here's the "but"...someone needs to either be unable to work (legitimately) or actively working (need a temporary helping hand). I don't help people that aren't willing help themselves. And quit having kids that you can't afford, that's a problem. Keep it in your pants or don't pull 'em down if you can't afford them.

Since you like quoting the Bible, do you believe if a man doesn't work that he shouldn't eat? Because I see plenty of people (black and white) that are very able bodied, yet they don't work, and they get fed because I get my ass up in the morning and work.

What must I do to inherit the Kingdom of God?

Go sell everything you own, distribute it to the poor, come and follow me.

And the young ruler went away very sad, because he was extremely wealthy
Yes. Jesus knew that the guy put his trust in his wealth. That does not mean that every person who becomes wealthy cannot also be a true Christian. King David was one of the most wealthy men in the ancient world yet the Bible says that "he was a man after God's own heart."

• Haha
Reactions: mcbear30
I know we heard from Roger Goodell and the head coach, but have we heard from Carl Nassib's teammates? I'm willing to bet they are not shocked and knew that Carl was gay for several years.

I'm a pretty generous person, if there's a need, I'll gladly give. Here's the "but"...someone needs to either be unable to work (legitimately) or actively working (need a temporary helping hand). I don't help people that aren't willing help themselves.
You have to think that way. It's the burden of philanthropists.

You can't help everybody, so you have to settle on some criteria to determine who qualifies as deserving. What exactly that criteria should be is a hard hard problem, but it has to be SOMETHING.

Reactions: chief2791
Yes. Jesus knew that the guy put his trust in his wealth. That does not mean that every person who becomes wealthy cannot also be a true Christian. King David was one of the most wealthy men in the ancient world yet the Bible says that "he was a man after God's own heart."
I mean, I would actually say that rich people tend to be "better" than average by basically whatever dimension you want. Noble personal traits tend to breed success, while character flaws tend to hamper it.

Of course, this is a massive generalization, but the idea that the rich are morally inferior is mostly not only false but inverted.

I’m not saying he is Christian I am saying that it’s very sinful and I never hear any preachers damming him to hell fire on Sunday
No one is damned to hell for their sin. They are damned to hell for their refusal to grasp the meaning of and accept and believe in what Jesus did on the cross as the substitute for their sin, and then refusing to turn from willful sin. That being said, you and I disagree completely, as I do not believe that being wealthy is a sin, in and of itself. Its what one does with their wealth that matters.

I mean, I would actually say that rich people tend to be "better" than average by basically whatever dimension you want. Noble personal traits tend to breed success, while character flaws tend to hamper it.

Of course, this is a massive generalization, but the idea that the rich are morally inferior is mostly not only false but inverted.
Christianity teaches that we are ALL - rich or poor - morally inferior and have separated ourselves from the creator by our sin.

And he didn't make that in "a year", Bezos would be broke before year 2 or 3.

I'm a pretty generous person, if there's a need, I'll gladly give. Here's the "but"...someone needs to either be unable to work (legitimately) or actively working (need a temporary helping hand). I don't help people that aren't willing help themselves. And quit having kids that you can't afford, that's a problem. Keep it in your pants or don't pull 'em down if you can't afford them.

Since you like quoting the Bible, do you believe if a man doesn't work that he shouldn't eat? Because I see plenty of people (black and white) that are very able bodied, yet they don't work, and they get fed because I get my ass up in the morning and work.
7 billion to end malnutrition - he can at lea afford that

No one is damned to hell for their sin. They are damned to hell for their refusal to grasp the meaning of and accept and believe in what Jesus did on the cross as the substitute for their sin, and then refusing to turn from willful sin. That being said, you and I disagree completely, as I do not believe that being wealthy is a sin, in and of itself. Its what one does with their wealth that matters.
I see people in this thread damming lgbt to hell. I hear preachers doing it all the time too. Why don’t they treat rich people the same when there is stronger biblical translations against the love of money?

My whole point is people are very hypocritical with their supporting the Bible and cherry pick the ones they prefer

You have to think that way. It's the burden of philanthropists.

You can't help everybody, so you have to settle on some criteria to determine who qualifies as deserving. What exactly that criteria should be is a hard hard problem, but it has to be SOMETHING.
My wife and I have a hard rule, if we don't know you (or know someone that does and can vouch for you), we won't give. There's enough need just locally, no need to go beyond that.

Example (and I just wrote a check this morning)...a friend's wife was recently diagnosed with cancer, and it's pretty much terminal. He is temporarily unable to work caring for her, but the bills haven't stopped coming in. He's a hard worker, has been all of his life, and she has been too. That's the criteria that we use and will continue to use. It's a blessing to be able to help them.

OMG Have you bought into the prosperity gospel and its heresies. Go read the beatitudes in Luke not Matthew. You have perfectly described the Pharisees in the NT.

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness(A) and looked down on everyone else,(B) Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray,(C) one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself(D) and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast(E) twice a week and give a tenth(F) of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast(G) and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’(H)

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”(I

OMG Have you bought into the prosperity gospel and its heresies. Go read the beatitudes in Luke not Matthew. You have perfectly described the Pharisees in the NT.

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness(A) and looked down on everyone else,(B) Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray,(C) one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself(D) and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast(E) twice a week and give a tenth(F) of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast(G) and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’(H)

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”(I
So do you reject the notion that character and success are positively correlated?

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner. JESUS SAID.... Love your neighbor, love your enemies, love those nasty ass foreigners, Samaritans.

The only time he espoused violence was when he encountered religious hypocrisy married with price gouging capitalism.

He told us to get the log out of our own damn eye, before worrying about somebody else’s sinfulness. He even said if your right eye causes you to sin pluck it out. I will start taking fundamentalist, evangelical, inerrantist seriously when they have one eyed sinner support group in their churches
This notion that Jesus was/is a pacifist liberal has been debunked. And you continue to mock the bible but then also use it when it suits your own political agenda.

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
Typical of liberals doing their in your face pronouncements of abnormal behavior and expecting everyone to accept it as normal. I personally don’t care about the guy’s sexual preferences but I am entitled to my personal feelings about homosexuality. Those who don’t like it are free to call me a homophobe and then proceed to Kiss My A$$.

We went from a sports story to politics, then religion. How about money? Will this cost the league money with fans who are not for social changes with football, But want to see sports to get away from the world?

But once again you ignore gluttony and greed as a deadly sin - do you speak out against rich people as god clearly laid out ?

So you equate greed = rich as the same thing? I missed that verse in the Bible. I know lots of rich good people who aren’t greedy and help others less fortunate.

But I will let you all continue this conversation. I don’t care who someone sleeps with or loves and neither do I consider you a hero for “coming out” in 2021. I am accountable for me to Jesus and not for other people.

I can't imagine this will move the needle too much either way in terms of interest.
Agreed. Coming out is so 20 years ago.

If you want to catch up to the times, talk about the female soccer player who came out as trans, but will probably still play for the women's team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT