ADVERTISEMENT

Well...we have to pay Beamer....dont we? Part Two, No part three....

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
It's Wednesday now and Beamer is a legit candidate for OU. It was Monday when I floated the idea Tanner would have to extend Beamer and raise his salary. I got chewed up and spit out.

But now it's Wednesday, maybe some of you are thinking differently. Certainly, it's very quiet out there.

I've actually gone the opposite way in that I think this just Sexton angling for another Muschampian contract extension.

What blows my mind is how does this work?

You’re never going to pay a coach more than what Oklahoma can offer. So what is the advantage of paying a coach $5 million when if Oklahoma really wants him they can just get him did 8.5 or 9 million?

So you’re just paying a premium for nothing.

Switzer is pushing for Mike Leach. This is going to get very interesting
Those are the types of names I'm hearing...Leach, Kiffen, etc. I haven't heard Beamer at all other than those 2 journalists out there that really liked Shane when he was out there.

I swear I think they keep Bob Stoops and set up a transition plan for after 2025.

Those are the types of names I'm hearing...Leach, Kiffen, etc. I haven't heard Beamer at all other than those 2 journalists out there that really liked Shane when he was out there.

I swear I think they keep Bob Stoops and set up a transition plan for after 2025.
I can't see why Kiffin would leave at this point. Ole Miss can pay him. The Stoops plan would kill recruiting. There are no second acts in CFB. But Mack Brown is trying.

In my opinion we should wait till next year before signing any extensions or giving any raises. If we can beat Kentucky, Mizzou still beat Florida and Auburn again, maybe finally beat tA&m then MAYBE I’d see giving a sizable raise. .
Our BOT and AD need to be at the level where they can snag other universities H/C like LSU does, etc….. if you think OK is going to snatch Beamer up before he shows something as a H/C your crAzy. They will let us have that task.

Last edited:
OU has zero interest in a coach like Beamer. They are not going to gamble going into the SEC gauntlet. We are only the only school who would have did this.

You are mistaken. I know for a fact he is being highly considered (know some OU insiders who are big supporters). They have a ton of players who are thinking of leaving since Riley left. One being their freshman QB. They are wanting stability and love Shane. The players did too and he can bring stability and recruited many of those players. Doesn’t mean he will end up there…but he is a legit candidate.

No. Certainly not. And hopefully the Muschamp fiasco is fresh enough in our minds.

Beamer did quite well this year and exceeded everyone’s expectations, but it’s about sustained success. If this is his dream job and the only place he wants to coach, then he won’t use this for a raise. If he’s here for the long haul, a marginal raise this year doesn’t mean anything.

If he does, we should just say “no, not yet.” OU is not offering him the job, though I’m certain they’ll at least seek an interview. If by some surprise they did offer him the job, we should congratulate him and offer our job to Chadwell.

I am 100% pro Beamer but we can’t duplicate the mistakes of the very recent past.

You are mistaken. I know for a fact he is being highly considered (know some OU insiders who are big supporters). They have a ton of players who are thinking of leaving since Riley left. One being their freshman QB. They are wanting stability and love Shane. The players did too and he can bring stability and recruited many of those players. Doesn’t mean he will end up there…but he is a legit candidate.
Believe what you want. Beamer isn't a candidate.

It's Wednesday now and Beamer is a legit candidate for OU. It was Monday when I floated the idea Tanner would have to extend Beamer and raise his salary. I got chewed up and spit out.

But now it's Wednesday, maybe some of you are thinking differently. Certainly, it's very quiet out there.
Oh please. Nobody of Oklahoma's stature will give Shane serious consideration unless he produces Spurrier-like seasons (Top 10 teams) here. Regardless, South Carolina is Shane's "dream job". Remember?

If we have to pay someone just to stay here after just one year when rumors float around another school is interested, then we need to part ways anyway. Wrong guy. Big fat no on paying under those circumstances.

Given the hires to date and the number of coaches choosing to stay put, that transition plan makes a lot of sense. If I'm Mike Leach, I would go to OU if given the opportunity.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Coach Beamer is A GREAT GUY! His media buds are going to work OT to try to get him a raise. Personally I hope Coach Tanner is not dumb or desperate enough to fall for it.
Shane is a great guy. The media and datboyTheClown love him. No salary is too high.....

Oh please. Nobody of Oklahoma's stature will give Shane serious consideration unless he produces Spurrier-like seasons (Top 10 teams) here. Regardless, South Carolina is Shane's "dream job". Remember?
Yeah, just like Notre Dame.....Notre Dame......would never promote an assistant coach all of 35 to head coach. Oh....wait....

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives

I do not believe preemptive action will be necessary.

Reactions: rogue cock
Well they actually hired a coach that has been a coordinator and not the tight ends coach or was it special teams coach? Get back coach? Hell I forget
Exactly. That's the point. You take a look at this past season and you can't point to one head turning win by Shane. And I like Shane. But, beating, mediocre, struggling, down Florida and Auburn teams at home are not going to convince a school like Oklahoma that he can get the job done. And that's especially when the other 4 wins were struggles against mid-majors East Carolina and Troy, lowly Vanderbilt (might as well call them a mid-major, too) and one blowout (but against a FCS school). As I said, I like Shane. I hope he proves to be here a long, long time. I gave him a solid B grade, thus far, on another thread. But, let's not pretend he turned the college football sports world on its head and shocked it by what he did this season. He didn't. I believe a few Gamecock fans are going overboard and need to get real.

Last edited:
Oklahoma seriously considering Beamer is fake news. Anyone on power at USC thinking that he should be given a raise to stay JUST IN CASE need to be stripped of all decision making powers. As Tanner should have been after giving Muschamp a raise and extension after the team got blown out by UVA.

Last edited:
Trolling, no way. Just creating sports discussion. Not sure why there always has to be an ulterior motive.
Must people don't know what trolling actually means, and practically no one over 50 it seems. People think disagreeing with them as fervently as they disagree with you. In truth actual trolling is intentionally saying something you don't believe to get an arrogant and self assured person to show their ass in a context that they won't make a difference and if ultimately you take the bait and feed a troll it usually says more about you. There are some in here that are borderline in how they keep pushing things regardless what is argued back but I doubt they aren't just earnestly crazy.

Reactions: vacock#
Well they actually hired a coach that has been a coordinator and not the tight ends coach or was it special teams coach? Get back coach? Hell I forget
And a ST coach that several in the profession says had a future as a HBC for years that just did a killer job in his first year as head coach and that the powers that be in Oklahoma know well and trust.

Edit: what is this obsession with coordinators, there is little to no real crossover between designing a playbook and managing a full organization outside of what he's already done as an ST coach. Were he a coordinator would that give him more practice having to be the guy to keep egos in check, organize practices, make personnel decisions, deal with boosters or is that something you would just have to vet from reputation and the interview process outside of poaching another teams HC? Since Beamer has us bowling in year one when no prognosticators predicted it for us, and with what Pittman has done year two in Arkansas, can someone please tell me why the hell anyone will thinks this is a valid criticism?

Last edited:
And a ST coach that several in the profession says had a future as a HBC for years that just did a killer job in his first year as head coach and that the powers that be in Oklahoma know well and trust.

Edit: what is this obsession with coordinators, there is little to no real crossover between designing a playbook and managing a full organization outside of what he's already done as an ST coach. Were he a coordinator would that give him more practice having to be the guy to keep egos in check, organize practices, make personnel decisions, deal with boosters or is that something you would just have to vet from reputation and the interview process outside of poaching another teams HC? Since Beamer has us bowling in year one when no prognosticators predicted it for us, and with what Pittman has done year two in Arkansas, can someone please tell me why the hell anyone will thinks this is a valid criticism?

Getting shut out by the worst Clemson team in a decade is doing a "killer job"?

Getting shut out by the worst Clemson team in a decade is doing a "killer job"?
I like how you put zero context in that. Is it his recruits or did he lose with someone else's roster? What did the prognosticators predict this season? Are we better or worse than last year and what we were expected to do this year? Have sports commentators floated his name for SEC COTY? Did you think he'd get bowl eligible season one? Is it really that big a deal to you that he was fighting for TDs instead of doing the sad face saving move of going for a chip shot field goal? How many times would we have been shut out of games if Muschamp chose to try for TDs over field goals over the last few years? Stop treating the whole season like it exists in a vacuum. We got beat by an offensive line that gelled and a really good RB. Honestly given that anytime Clemson played a defense with a pulse Etienne had 3.0ypc or less Shipley may price to be more capable against anything but the scrubs. You're just pissed we didn't choose your guy. Who did you want? Did you want Chadwell who a year later has been linked to no P5 openings? And we're supposed to take that we're the first P5 offer Beamer got as an indication we're the only ones dumb enough to want him, well it seems no one is dumb enough to think the spread option would work in the SEC and frankly we knew that already from every time Oregon's almost dynasty played an SEC defense the most exciting offense in CFB consistently hit a brick wall.

Edit: Another thing I just thought of. You mention the Clemson game but you're gonna ignore the largest margin if victory over Florida we've ever had. You aren't gonna mention beating an Auburn team that took Bama into overtime. You're going to ignore that the issues that caused the mismatch against Clemson was an offensive line that's been lackluster for years, a QB room that he inherited with next to no experience, a lack of run stuffing size in the DL and slow LBs. But of course you only select whatever supports your belief that Beamer shouldn't be the head coach, which you formed, I assume, as soon as he was hired and never seemed to entertain that anyone but whoever the hell you want should be the guy.

Last edited:
No, I was asking if folks thought we needed to pay Beamer since he's the FIRST......FIRST.......FIRST......USC coach in football we have had who could actually have been on the cusp of leaving here because he was successful.

Seems like a reasonable question.

I.e....somebody really mentioned wanting him.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT