ADVERTISEMENT

Well...we have to pay Beamer....dont we? Part Two, No part three....

No, I was asking if folks thought we needed to pay Beamer since he's the FIRST......FIRST.......FIRST......USC coach in football we have had who could actually have been on the cusp of leaving here because he was successful.

Seems like a reasonable question.

I.e....somebody really mentioned wanting him.
But he isn’t on the cusp of leaving. No one wants to actually hire him.

No, I was asking if folks thought we needed to pay Beamer since he's the FIRST......FIRST.......FIRST......USC coach in football we have had who could actually have been on the cusp of leaving here because he was successful.

Seems like a reasonable question.
Spurrier was being courted by Bama and turned them down before they hired Saban.

Reactions: Lakecock1
We will just have to wait and see how it plays out. These AD'S are in a new world with all these long term high dollar contracts built on retention rather than performance.

Edit: what is this obsession with coordinators, there is little to no real crossover between designing a playbook and managing a full organization outside of what he's already done as an ST coach. Were he a coordinator would that give him more practice having to be the guy to keep egos in check, organize practices, make personnel decisions, deal with boosters or is that something you would just have to vet from reputation and the interview process outside of poaching another teams HC? Since Beamer has us bowling in year one when no prognosticators predicted it for us, and with what Pittman has done year two in Arkansas, can someone please tell me why the hell anyone will thinks this is a valid criticism?

This debate, and the reasons you asked for have been listed 1000 times over last summer on this board. They're real and valid, hence why the scenario is exceedingly rare.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Do you really not see the difference in that and in what we did? Seriously? Dude, you are definitely trolling. I won't wade into the alternative .
You said there was no way OU was interested in Beamer, several reporters say they are. What proof do you offer to refute the reporters claim? It’s a simple question.

Like I said in another thread; good GRACIOUS!, I wish Beamer would come out and say something so all the hand-wringing would stop!! He ain’t going anywhere folks.
And no, nothing he’s done thus far warrants a raise and contract extension. Like some others have said, if we win another game or two next season and show some progress, then yes, maybe then. But in the meantime, chill. Hopefully RTR learned from the Muschamp fiasco.

This debate, and the reasons you asked for have been listed 1000 times over last summer on this board. They're real and valid, hence why the scenario is exceedingly rare.
It's not valid after doubling win projections. It's not a forgive conclusion that he'll be successful long term, but it's BS that he hasn't shown he can organize the program and manage the people involved. The only questions now is can he recruit which he certainly had a track record for, how he handles boosters which he's got great reviews for and lastly if he'd win long term and that would be wait and see with literally anyone we could've hired.

Too early to offer Beamer an extension and pay increase. As far as I'm concerned, this year was an extension of his interview as our head coach. If he has won 8 games (add Missouri and Clemson), I might would be in a different place. We need to slow our roll on extending coaches for mediocre performance.

Too early to offer Beamer an extension and pay increase. As far as I'm concerned, this year was an extension of his interview as our head coach. If he has won 8 games (add Missouri and Clemson), I might would be in a different place. We need to slow our roll on extending coaches for mediocre performance.
I don't know the details of his contract. Does it have an "automatic rollover"?

It's not valid after doubling win projections. It's not a forgive conclusion that he'll be successful long term, but it's BS that he hasn't shown he can organize the program and manage the people involved. The only questions now is can he recruit which he certainly had a track record for, how he handles boosters which he's got great reviews for and lastly if he'd win long term and that would be wait and see with literally anyone we could've hired.

I wouldn't rest arguments on Vegas betting lines. They aren't straightforward predictions.

I'd say the reasons are still very valid, and the argument won't be buried until he buries it in success or is asked to leave. And even then, it's be a singular example, and not a conclusive argument for coaches skipping steps on the coaching ladder.

I doubt that Beamer wants to go back to OU. From what he has said to his team and fans I don't think he is a hypocrite.

Reactions: WingchunCock
I wouldn't rest arguments on Vegas betting lines. They aren't straightforward predictions.

I'd say the reasons are still very valid, and the argument won't be buried until he buries it in success or is asked to leave. And even then, it's be a singular example, and not a conclusive argument for coaches skipping steps on the coaching ladder.
I'm not talking about Vegas lines, I'm talking about every single perfection on how we would do this season. SEC coaches didn't expect much, writers didn't expect much, TV hosts didn't expect much, you will find zero prominent voices that predicted this and if his management skills, which unless you're gonna run your own offense it defense is the only thing of consequence with crossover from coordinator to coach, wasn't there, it wouldn't have happened.

I'm not talking about Vegas lines, I'm talking about every single perfection on how we would do this season. SEC coaches didn't expect much, writers didn't expect much, TV hosts didn't expect much, you will find zero prominent voices that predicted this and if his management skills, which unless you're gonna run your own offense it defense is the only thing of consequence with crossover from coordinator to coach, wasn't there, it wouldn't have happened.

He certainly did better than most predicted.

What I'm saying is this doesn't discount the "usual" way of promoting coaches up the coaching ladder, and not skipping steps.

If he succeeds long term, and others do as well, then yay. But until then, we have a couple outliers in Dabo, and maybe the Arkansas coach, with Beamer still a TBD.

He certainly did better than most predicted.

What I'm saying is this doesn't discount the "usual" way of promoting coaches up the coaching ladder, and not skipping steps.

If he succeeds long term, and others do as well, then yay. But until then, we have a couple outliers in Dabo, and maybe the Arkansas coach, with Beamer still a TBD.
I didn't mean that it shouldn't carry any weight in a search, it's just no longer a stick with which one should strike Beamer. I think of it like Steve Jobs, people like to devalue him because "he didn't invent any of that" he's probably not gonna be the best CTO or CFO but he was a hell of a CEO even if the only way he would get there was gonna be unorthodox. That also doesn't mean that most of the time, your gonna get the CEO from a more specialized officer position. Sometimesa guy just has what he needs and if Beamer had followed the normal path he would've had less opportunities to work under and learn from all these great coaches that riding his lesser specialties allowed.

Beamers contract:

Tell me there is not a little wiggle room for USC to adjust a little just to re-establish some semblance of equity for him in the market. As someone noted in a post today, Pry at Virginia Tech is getting $4 Million. All of the new contracts have trumped up provisions.

Beamer's contract has a 1.78 Million buyout....just a little above his base (no rights money) salary.....annually. If he left us the first year, his cost was 7 Million. (Been tough on Ray, but that was pretty good.) That's gone down now to 6 Million I believe. Maybe that's what OKl was waiting on. lol

In all honesty, Beamer shorted himself with his "I want this at all cost" approach. It was refreshing!!! But, I suspect a year of reflection and an overture, however soft or serious, may lead to some tweaks to the contract soon, if it is not already in the works.

Beamers contract:

Tell me there is not a little wiggle room for USC to adjust a little just to re-establish some semblance of equity for him in the market. As someone noted in a post today, Pry at Virginia Tech is getting $4 Million. All of the new contracts have trumped up provisions.

Beamer's contract has a 1.78 Million buyout....just a little above his base (no rights money) salary.....annually. If he left us the first year, his cost was 7 Million. (Been tough on Ray, but that was pretty good.) That's gone down now to 6 Million I believe. Maybe that's what OKl was waiting on. lol

In all honesty, Beamer shorted himself with his "I want this at all cost" approach. It was refreshing!!! But, I suspect a year of reflection and an overture, however soft or serious, may lead to some tweaks to the contract soon, if it is not already in the works.
I'm good with the contract as is. Like I've said, if this is his dream job, let him prove it without holding out for more money after one year (which I believe is exactly what's happening right now).

If he pulls in a good recruiting class and wins a couple more games next year, then they can talk about restructuring. Especially if he fields a competent offense with a good NEW OC.

You are mistaken. I know for a fact he is being highly considered (know some OU insiders who are big supporters). They have a ton of players who are thinking of leaving since Riley left. One being their freshman QB. They are wanting stability and love Shane. The players did too and he can bring stability and recruited many of those players. Doesn’t mean he will end up there…but he is a legit candidate.
You lost all credibility when you said Beamer 'recruited many of those players'. OU has 85 scholarship players, not counting the Super Seniors who had an extra year of eligibility due to Covid. Do you know how many of those players Beamer actually was credited with recruiting? Numbers wise, he was one of the least productive recruiters among the 10 assistants.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I bet Beamer will use the leverage to get a new OC and OL coach instead of a pay raise for himself
f'ing raise???? If the Admin of USC gives Shane Beamer a raise after what this football team looked like this year, I swear I will have to do the deal where I just pull all support, monies and care. At that point...it would be like being in an abusive relationship and begging for more.
Then, in 2-3 years once everything has officially gone to h#ll in a handbasket and all these newbie pumpers have moved on to murder Middle Tenn. State's football board, I would resume my support. At least I have a plan that doesn't require a TO and an illegal substitution on the first drive.

And a ST coach that several in the profession says had a future as a HBC for years that just did a killer job in his first year as head coach and that the powers that be in Oklahoma know well and trust.

Edit: what is this obsession with coordinators, there is little to no real crossover between designing a playbook and managing a full organization outside of what he's already done as an ST coach. Were he a coordinator would that give him more practice having to be the guy to keep egos in check, organize practices, make personnel decisions, deal with boosters or is that something you would just have to vet from reputation and the interview process outside of poaching another teams HC? Since Beamer has us bowling in year one when no prognosticators predicted it for us, and with what Pittman has done year two in Arkansas, can someone please tell me why the hell anyone will thinks this is a valid criticism?
Joe Morrison....
FYI- he was 2-0-2 vs. Frank Beamer
Sparky Woods was 2-0 vs. Frank Beamer

f'ing raise???? If the Admin of USC gives Shane Beamer a raise after what this football team looked like this year, I swear I will have to do the deal where I just pull all support, monies and care. At that point...it would be like being in an abusive relationship and begging for more.
Then, in 2-3 years once everything has officially gone to h#ll in a handbasket and all these newbie pumpers have moved on to murder Middle Tenn. State's football board, I would resume my support. At least I have a plan that doesn't require a TO and an illegal substitution on the first drive.
Please go. You spread nothing but negativity.
Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Joe Morrison....
FYI- he was 2-0-2 vs. Frank Beamer
Sparky Woods was 2-0 vs. Frank Beamer
Cool, most of the games against Joe Mo were at Murray St. and his last losing season as an HC was '92 even though the old Big East was better than the ACC at his tail end

You are mistaken. I know for a fact he is being highly considered (know some OU insiders who are big supporters). They have a ton of players who are thinking of leaving since Riley left. One being their freshman QB. They are wanting stability and love Shane. The players did too and he can bring stability and recruited many of those players. Doesn’t mean he will end up there…but he is a legit candidate.
BS.

I thought the Beamer contract was for 4 years not 5. He was so glad to be here he took a less than 5 year gig.

You lost all credibility when you said Beamer 'recruited many of those players'. OU has 85 scholarship players, not counting the Super Seniors who had an extra year of eligibility due to Covid. Do you know how many of those players Beamer actually was credited with recruiting? Numbers wise, he was one of the least productive recruiters among the 10 assistants.
Lol…believe what u want.

If Oklahoma wants Beamer, how much of a raise would we have to do to keep him? Double his salary to $5.5 million?

I like Beamer. There’s a chance he could be as good as his Dad, but it’s way too early to know for sure. There are positives to the season (improvement late in season, beating UF/Auburn), but serious negatives as well (UT, A&M, Clemson shut out and Vandy squeaker).

Not enough evidence to suggest doubling his salary or really given a substantial raise of any kind after year 1. If OU wants to pay, you have to let him go.

You said there was no way OU was interested in Beamer, several reporters say they are. What proof do you offer to refute the reporters claim? It’s a simple question.
The proof is Shane Beamer's (lack of) resume. Go look up Oklahoma's football history. Top 5 (off the top of my head) historically. They aren't interested. Gary Gibbs (god bless him) was a great DC for Switzer, and got the job and wasn't ready for all the stuff that came with it...and to be fair the aftermath of following a legend who left baggage in the program. Schnellenberger did a year tour and then cheatin' John Blake. They've dealt with their issues....and won't be revisiting boring hopefuls with no resume to be a HC a top 5 historical program.

Cool, most of the games against Joe Mo were at Murray St. and his last losing season as an HC was '92 even though the old Big East was better than the ACC at his tail end
no...I'm talking about South Carolina-Virginia Tech head to head. Back when we were both independents. Joe Morrison bested Frank Beamer, but really funny that Sparky Woods dominated him as easily as his groups did. Yeah, when you play in those lady conferences, it's highly likely to avoid losing seasons. Poor Sparky had to endure our initial foray into the SEC. Different animal. If only those two would've traded places.....Sparky would be considered a "great" and Frank Beamer would've been a journeyman assistant coach.

no...I'm talking about South Carolina-Virginia Tech head to head. Back when we were both independents. Joe Morrison bested Frank Beamer, but really funny that Sparky Woods dominated him as easily as his groups did. Yeah, when you play in those lady conferences, it's highly likely to avoid losing seasons. Poor Sparky had to endure our initial foray into the SEC. Different animal. If only those two would've traded places.....Sparky would be considered a "great" and Frank Beamer would've been a journeyman assistant coach.
Why are you even talking about it? What do that have to do with anything? I mean your wrong. Frank inherited a really bad situation at VT where he was under sanction, his time only overlapped for two years, only lost by 2 points to us, the number 8 team at the time in his second season, tired sparky woods the first time they played and had to play Miami every year in the Big East and he played for a national title and won the Sugar Bowl in 95 which is two things our school hasn't done. No way in hell is Woods near the same neighborhood as him. Even for FCS whole schools Beamer has a far better career. It also has nothing to do with a damn thing because I've never talked about Frank Beamer. I think what he and Bud Foster did with the 4-4 making the option obsolete was cool and how they adapted it into their 4-2-5 when the spread came about was cool and the fact that Ellis Johnson learned it from them and brought it to us getting the third best defense in the country in 2011 is important for us. All that said, I never brought up Frank Beamer so I don't know why you're bringing it up in a thread about his son and saying information that's factually wrong to drive your daddy assertions home.

Why are you even talking about it? What do that have to do with anything? I mean your wrong. Frank inherited a really bad situation at VT where he was under sanction, his time only overlapped for two years, only lost by 2 points to us, the number 8 team at the time in his second season, tired sparky woods the first time they played and had to play Miami every year in the Big East and he played for a national title and won the Sugar Bowl in 95 which is two things our school hasn't done. No way in hell is Woods near the same neighborhood as him. Even for FCS whole schools Beamer has a far better career. It also has nothing to do with a damn thing because I've never talked about Frank Beamer. I think what he and Bud Foster did with the 4-4 making the option obsolete was cool and how they adapted it into their 4-2-5 when the spread came about was cool and the fact that Ellis Johnson learned it from them and brought it to us getting the third best defense in the country in 2011 is important for us. All that said, I never brought up Frank Beamer so I don't know why you're bringing it up in a thread about his son and saying information that's factually wrong to drive your daddy assertions home.
OK VT/Beamer supporter 1st/new "Gamecock" Fan.
I bring it up to prove the point of what you are, and how this site has been invaded.

I'm not wrong. I looked it up to make sure...memory gets fuzzy after 10,000 games and names.
'87, SC 40, VT 10 Frank Beamer Loss to JM
'88, SC 26, VT 24 Frank Beamer Loss to JM
'89, SC-VT 17 all tie
2-0-1 Joe Morrison dominated FB.

90 and 91...SC led by Sparky Woods beat the h#ll out of Frank Beamer's VT teams. If Sparky had either the foresight or luck to have coached in the Big East where Miami and West Virginia were the only two teams with a pulse to play over playing russian roulette in the SEC....then you'd better bet your neutered turkey Woods would be a hall of famer. Many would argue at that time (87-89ish) that Woods was the better coaching prospect...despite being younger. You know a lot about Foster and company. I guess you know of his personal habits/groups that helped keep him around Blacksburg for so long.
Love,
A Gamecock fan for more than the last 2 years.

He doesn’t…but he has Oklahoma in his user name. I don’t have proof either but the people who told me are very credible. I’m not saying he will get offered, and I’m not saying he would leave if he did, I’m just saying he is being considered.
If CSB wants to leave, let him go.

If I was AD first call I’d make would be to Deion Sanders.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT