ADVERTISEMENT

Well, we have to pay Beamer, don't we?

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
This Oklahoma interest has assuredly put Ray in a tough spot. All around him, schools are throwing wild numbers in dollars and years at coaches to lock them up. The heck with worrying about buyouts.

Here sits our AD fresh off a demeaning payout to a less than mediocre coach. Can he point at what's happening around him and say, "heck, we have to go there again? The landscape has changed."

I think he gets 5 Million a year for six years. By the time 2025 rolls around the buyout will look like chump change, even with a year extension here or there.

This Oklahoma interest has assuredly put Ray in a tough spot. All around him, schools are throwing wild numbers in dollars and years at coaches to lock them up. The heck with worrying about buyouts.

Here sits our AD fresh off a demeaning payout to a less than mediocre coach. Can he point at what's happening around him and say, "heck, we have to go there again? The landscape has changed."

I think he gets 5 Million a year for six years. By the time 2025 rolls around the buyout will look like chump change, even with a year extension here or there.
I wouldn't bet on it. First, Ray doesn't have any real authority for that. He can call his BOT handler to ask for permission but I don't see anyone authorizing a new deal off a one-year 6-6 season.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bet on it. First, Ray doesn't have any real authority for that. He call his BOT handler to ask for permission but I don't see anyone authorizing a new deal off a one-year 6-6 season.
I'm in 75% agreement with that post. The part I have underlined is the one I would question. Events could conspire. Winning the bowl game could be one of them. Actual overtures from another school could be another.

Unlike the first guy that replied I think Beamer has proven plenty in his first year, but not enough to justify that kind of commitment. That's more than 6-win money and we need to see him build to more than 6-wins. Of course Beamer also accepted the lowest disclosed contract in the SEC so I think he's more than willing to earn it first. If he progresses next year as I fully expect him to, I'm sure he'll get a modest raise and if he wins the East a few times we'll make it difficult for anyone to take him away whether or not he has any interest in leaving.

Reactions: RileyCock
I'm in 75% agreement with that post. The part I have underlined is the one I would question. Events could conspire. Winning the bowl game could be one of them. Actual overtures from another school could be another.
Completely understand. I like Beamer and want him to stay but you can find another "Beamer" without incurring another potential fiscal anchor. Maybe a small amount of confirmation bias but I don't think the BOT is going to support a big raise for a one year job. Let the other schools kill themselves financially.

Completely understand. I like Beamer and want him to stay but you can find another "Beamer" without incurring another potential fiscal anchor. Maybe a small amount of confirmation bias but I don't think the BOT is going to support a big raise for a one year job. Let the other schools kill themselves financially.
It might be necessary to raise his pay because more accomplished assistants will demand higher salaries than we are expending now. You've got to keep a decent gap in there. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

It might be necessary to raise his pay because more accomplished assistants will demand higher salaries than we are expending now. You've got to keep a decent gap in there. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.
That's a good point. However, I still think, even under that scenario, it wouldn't be big money, big years and a big buyout.

You may perhaps be right, but I think the idea that others whould "kill themselves financially" is speculative. These contracts we are seeing now are being readily funded at schools that desire to compete. It's sad, but it is a reality.

In an odd sort of way, Ray has cover to act here. And, when you are Ray Tanner after the Muschamp debacle, you need cover.

Raise Beamer's pay? No... at least not by a significant amount. Now tell him he'll get more money to beef up his staff, yes... that's where money will be better spent. Let's give him the tools to be successful before we start rewarding him further
This. Going .500 and getting crushed by a Clemson team that every ACC team had a shot at beating don’t get you a raise. That’s crazy talk. We tried that with muschamp remember

I believe coaches' contracts should include lots of incentives for meeting performance expectations (e.g., bowl victories, championships, top-25 ranking, recruiting class rankings, regular season wins, statistical categories) and beating Clemson!

If Beamer meets expectations, pay the man!

I believe coaches' contracts should include lots of incentives for meeting performance expectations (e.g., bowl victories, championships, top-25 ranking, recruiting class rankings, regular season wins, statistical categories) and beating Clemson!

If Beamer meets expectations, pay the man!
Yes. And going 3-5 in conference shouldn’t be the tipping point

Good lord, if Beamer were to leave to go anywhere, do you guys realize how far down the pecking order we would be this year, with all of this competition? For example, Napier wasn’t close to a consensus choice among fans, with many on here thinking it was too soon to give him a chance here. And he’s at Florida now. We would be scraping the barrel here, that’s for sure. With Beamer having such a low salary, there is plenty of room to grow it right now. I have no idea how it will work out for Beamer after a few years here, but I know there are worse choices out there. And we may find out who the worse choices are if we aren’t careful. Heck, look at what Michigan State just did to retain a 2nd year coach, and you guys don’t think Shane deserves a raise. We can find some middle ground here, or we are going to find ourselves offering someone not as qualified as Billy Freaking Napier 5 million a year to start over again next year.

Reactions: fowl_mood
Can't raise his pay b/c their are unsubstantiated claims online that he's garnering low level interest from another school.
But that's supposed to prompt irrational extensions and raises, sometimes for several people on the staff. That's what "reports" are for. They also are handy for getting people throwing crap at each other on sports boards.

Reactions: 92Pony
Raise Beamer's pay? No... at least not by a significant amount. Now tell him he'll get more money to beef up his staff, yes... that's where money will be better spent. Let's give him the tools to be successful before we start rewarding him further
And I’m sure if Beamer was given the choice between the two he would choose more for the assistants

I would definitely prefer performance based contracts. I have always despised retention pay.

That is not where we live in the coach's market.

Texas A&M is "stuck" with Jimbo. Penn State is "stuck" with Franklin. Michigan State, or at least their two donors, lol , is stuck with Tucker. Soon, LSU, Socal and Florida will be "stuck." By "stuck" I mean payouts will be prohibitive or downright publically distasteful if or when these guys tank or wind up mediocre.

These contracts were reserved for proven national championship winners.

Now they are reserved for decent coaches we trust to win.

Pay up, or hope for a lower paid miracle worker. If they will hang around.

This. Going .500 and getting crushed by a Clemson team that every ACC team had a shot at beating don’t get you a raise. That’s crazy talk. We tried that with muschamp remember
Clemson crushed Wake who was the best team they faced in the ACC

I'm beginning to understand that we get what we deserve. We deserve this. We deserve to retain Beamer, Satterfield, etc all with new extensions and buyouts. Most gullible BOT, AD and fans of any University in the nation. I swear. I feel like a very tall midget in here sometimes. Slightly taller than a slim jackrabbit standing up on the South Dakota prairie.

But this is exactly what’s going to happen based on how happy our fanbase seems to be with Beamer.

Good lord, if Beamer were to leave to go anywhere, do you guys realize how far down the pecking order we would be this year, with all of this competition? For example, Napier wasn’t close to a consensus choice among fans, with many on here thinking it was too soon to give him a chance here. And he’s at Florida now. We would be scraping the barrel here, that’s for sure. With Beamer having such a low salary, there is plenty of room to grow it right now. I have no idea how it will work out for Beamer after a few years here, but I know there are worse choices out there. And we may find out who the worse choices are if we aren’t careful. Heck, look at what Michigan State just did to retain a 2nd year coach, and you guys don’t think Shane deserves a raise. We can find some middle ground here, or we are going to find ourselves offering someone not as qualified as Billy Freaking Napier 5 million a year to start over again next year.
So what exactly are you afraid of? That we will end up with a green coach with zero head coaching experience? Isn't that what we got last year? Worst case scenario is no worse than we are now.

Hilarious. Our fans are so gullible. Oklahoma has zero interest.

Absolutely right . When I saw this on the board I literally spit my drink out laughing . The fanbase in Norman would go BALLISTIC !! They are pursuing guys like Kliff Kingsberry . Does anyone in their right minds really believe they have any interest in Shane . Shane did the one thing I didn’t think was possible …. He made Will Muschamp look like an offensive juggernaut. He did some good things as well but y’all have lost your damn minds if you think there’s an ounce of truth to this .

• Love
Reactions: 92Pony and DeBoer31
Ray (or more aptly, the BOT) needs to sit tight. First, Oklahoma probably doesn't really have Shane at the top of their list, so there's no need to raise our financial obligation yet. Second, IF they do, it doesn't matter how much we extend and raise his contract...he'd leave anyway.

If Oklahoma comes calling, he's leaving and we go talk to Chadwell.
If not, the current contract continues until something NEEDS to be changed based on merit.

I'm beginning to understand that we get what we deserve. We deserve this. We deserve to retain Beamer, Satterfield, etc all with new extensions and buyouts. Most gullible BOT, AD and fans of any University in the nation. I swear. I feel like a very tall midget in here sometimes. Slightly taller than a slim jackrabbit standing up on the South Dakota prairie.
I agree. I really just think the FGF site has been hijacked by "new" fans (ala Beamer supporters whether he is here or at Wisconsin in two years) and maybe 25% of our fans who just have no idea what they're looking at and blindly supporting the Head Coach. I don't think they're idiots...they just havn't spent much time looking into it, and are hoping for the best. The superfan Beamer Scientology zealots on here send up red flags though.

Ray (or more aptly, the BOT) needs to sit tight. First, Oklahoma probably doesn't really have Shane at the top of their list, so there's no need to raise our financial obligation yet. Second, IF they do, it doesn't matter how much we extend and raise his contract...he'd leave anyway.

If Oklahoma comes calling, he's leaving and we go talk to Chadwell.
If not, the current contract continues until something NEEDS to be changed based on merit.
We don't have that kind of luck as an institution or football program. They would hire Scotty Spurrier next if Beamer exited....you know...because Scotty REALLY REALLY wants to be the HC here. As if he's the only one.....(f the clemson troll super beamer fans on here).

I agree. I really just think the FGF site has been hijacked by "new" fans (ala Beamer supporters whether he is here or at Wisconsin in two years) and maybe 25% of our fans who just have no idea what they're looking at and blindly supporting the Head Coach. I don't think they're idiots...they just havn't spent much time looking into it, and are hoping for the best. The superfan Beamer Scientology zealots on here send up red flags though.
Silly boy. 2015 Member? New fans? I've been here since 1998. And, I'm the op on this thread. You are the new fan it appears, as we sounded just like you back when you were in diapers. Carry on. It takes all opinions to make this fun. Just thought you needed some perspective.

But, you make my original point. I knew this thread would bring out the firebreathers.....how will Ray deal with all this?

Reactions: Satchmo81

There is no lesson learned from the second kick of a mule. It would be dumb to make the same mistake twice. Why not make sure Beamer is the man to build this program before we provide him generational wealth. If we lose Beamer because we were cautious, then we can find another guy with no head coaching experience to replace him.

Reactions: 92Pony
No doubt. How dare fans come on here with a positive attitude when all we want to do is complain about everything….
Maybe some of the old timers need to take a chill pill.

Reactions: Satchmo81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT