ADVERTISEMENT

Welp, I see good old FFF whiffed on another one.

jsusc

Aug 12, 2004
Not in the final 4 for Josiah James. When's that Final Fluke going to start paying off like so many of ya'll promised? Not to worry though. I'm sure FFF's killing it recruiting in Eastern Europe mudholes and up in Manitoba. Hey, I've been meaning to ask if some of ya'll want to get together for an NCAA tourney watch party next year. We could even invite FFF since he'll have plenty of free time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, trust the coaches.

Reactions: drawplay000
I'm still a Frank supporter, but clearly something about our recruiting, particularly in state, needs to change.

This reminds me of the George Felton era in a lot of ways. Felton started off by signing many of the top in-state guys. (Barry Manning, JoJo English, Joe Rhett come to mind...was Michael Glover signed by Felton?) Yeah, he missed on a few big ones at that time (Stanley Roberts, Everick Sullivan), but in-state recruiting coupled with some nice out of state commits built a decent team. By the early 90s, what little talent was in South Carolina went elsewhere and George was gone 2 years later.

The past 4 South Carolina High School classes tell the story. In 2016, 3 top kids left for Power 5 conferences (UNC, K State, UT) and we got Rah Felder, who is no longer enrolled. In 2017 5 top kids left for P5 schools (UNC, Clemson, Cincy-okay, not P5 but still big-, Clemson, Georgia) and we signed Jason Cudd. In 2018, we got no one...Duke, Vandy, UT, NC State, Providence, Xavier and Wake got the top SC kids. So far, the 2019 class is just as bad for us...Juwan Gary to Alabama, and Josiah James, Christian Brown, and Malcolm Wilson have no interest in us.

I hate to say it, but based on today's basketball climate, Frank needs to commit to working with the AAU crowd. Heck, hire Carey Rich as an assistant. He seems to have decent connections and relationships around the state.

Not in the final 4 for Josiah James. When's that Final Fluke going to start paying off like so many of ya'll promised? Not to worry though. I'm sure FFF's killing it recruiting in Eastern Europe mudholes and up in Manitoba. Hey, I've been meaning to ask if some of ya'll want to get together for an NCAA tourney watch party next year. We could even invite FFF since he'll have plenty of free time.

Nice post history. Salty AF
salt-bae-cover-1280x705.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

He's our coach till hes not. BTW, the coach who has carried us further then any coach in our history. Have a nice day

I like Frank. Think he is a good basketball coach, and a good person. But an above poster is right. He needs to bring in a top notch recruiter. Pay whatever if takes. Right now you have a core group and then seemingly a never ending list of folks transferring in, and out, behind them. I, like many, thought that the final four run would take recruiting up an notch or two. But it should be paying off now, but it doesn't seem to be. No doubt with the limited tradition USC has in basketball without an uptick in the talent level, one can easily see the apathy slipping back in for a program that seems to be mediocre year after year.

He's our coach till hes not. BTW, the coach who has carried us further then any coach in our history. Have a nice day
Agree...and it gave us a good taste of what he can accomplish if he gets some good players. But he still has to get the players....and he had an assist from Roy Williams and a talented legacy in assembling that group. He needs to hire someone who can simply recruit and recruit.

I still love that Final Four Frank is supposed to be a derogatory term in some way. "There he goes, old College World Series Ray Tanner!"

We expected Ray to get to the CWS on a regular basis. We expect FFF to have a losing SEC record on a regular basis.

Nice post history. Salty AF
salt-bae-cover-1280x705.jpg

Well, that will certainly change FFF's past and future here. You, and everyone eslse knows, FFF will not be near the NCAA's for the next few years. He can't recruit, which is the most important thing in college basketball, because he is a yelling grouch on the sideline and plays boring basketball.

"zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?"

Isn't that what FFF gets to do in March?

Looks like that ship has sailed
It depends on your definition of paid off. My memories of us beating Duke, winning in MSG with the Final Four on the line, students jumping in the fountain in front of the library are all with me and are all among the most enjoyable I've had as a Gamecock fan. Why start denigrating an accomplishment that's not two years old instead of enjoying it? What is the point of all this anyway?

Well, that will certainly change FFF's past and future here. You, and everyone eslse knows, FFF will not be near the NCAA's for the next few years. He can't recruit, which is the most important thing in college basketball, because he is a yelling grouch on the sideline and plays boring basketball.
Is Frank a 'grouch' on the sideline? I guess he is. I see a lot of coaches who are a bit too intense, though.
As for 'boring basketball', I don't agree. What do we not do that you would consider 'exciting'? We aren't Press Virginia, trapping for 94 feet...but we are a high pressure M2M defense, that clearly looks for opportunities in transition. Maybe we would look a bit more up-tempo if some of the high quality athletes signed here.
Long story short...I don't think Frank's personality or style of play is killing his recruiting. There is something more 'fund'amental he needs to embrace.Do you think its a coincidence that Brownell and Clemson have suddenly upped their recruiting game the past two years?

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Is Frank a 'grouch' on the sideline? I guess he is. I see a lot of coaches who are a bit too intense, though.
As for 'boring basketball', I don't agree. What do we not do that you would consider 'exciting'? We aren't Press Virginia, trapping for 94 feet...but we are a high pressure M2M defense, that clearly looks for opportunities in transition. Maybe we would look a bit more up-tempo if some of the high quality athletes signed here.
Long story short...I don't think Frank's personality or style of play is killing his recruiting. There is something more 'fund'amental he needs to embrace.Do you think its a coincidence that Brownell and Clemson have suddenly upped their recruiting game the past two years?

Look, I'm all for cheating, and if that's what it takes to get him some players, fine. But an unwillingness to cheat AND being all bitter most of the game is not working.

I haven't read FGF in a while, a lot of y'all should take advantage of the $99 Insiders deal they are offering to get away from posters like @jsusc .. good grief, this guy is insufferable.

No one has to read my posts. I'm not putting a gun to anyone's head. Hey, maybe FFF should try that to get some players.

Maybe so, I was only pointing out 99% of your post is harping about something negative with Gamecock sports.

If you expect the worst, you will get the worst. Everything must run it's course and if Martin can't cut it... he will eventually be let go.

I think most people are confused that you are being so completely negative given that he was able to take a team to the Final Four. Something that has never been done. That's like focusing on Spurrier's last year in football and completely ignoring what he did in 2010-2013.

I haven't read FGF in a while, a lot of y'all should take advantage of the $99 Insiders deal they are offering to get away from posters like @jsusc .. good grief, this guy is insufferable.
Oh, there's some people in IF that's much worse. I quit paying a membership because of ~3 people in those forums.

Reactions: ddw1263
It depends on your definition of paid off. My memories of us beating Duke, winning in MSG with the Final Four on the line, students jumping in the fountain in front of the library are all with me and are all among the most enjoyable I've had as a Gamecock fan. Why start denigrating an accomplishment that's not two years old instead of enjoying it? What is the point of all this anyway?
People are ready for football to start and running out of things to talk about.

What's the major malfunction, you think? I suspect that Frank Martin is just too much of a hard ass. He can't get instate recruits and the attrition from the team kills us every year.

Reactions: 67gamecock
In 2017 5 top kids left for P5 schools (UNC, Clemson, Cincy-okay, not P5 but still big-, Clemson, Georgia) and we signed Jason Cudd. In 2018, we got no one...Duke, Vandy, UT, NC State, Providence, Xavier and Wake got the top SC kids. So far, the 2019 class is just as bad for us...Juwan Gary to Alabama, and Josiah James, Christian Brown, and Malcolm Wilson have no interest in us.

Heck, hire Carey Rich as an assistant. He seems to have decent connections and relationships around the state.

Still trying to figure out who are these top instate kids going to Clemson? Now I do think Carey Rich would be a nice addition to the staff.

Still trying to figure out who are these top instate kids going to Clemson? Now I do think Carey Rich would be a nice addition to the staff.
We definitely tried to get Clyde Trapp. I think we offered AJ Oliver too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT