ADVERTISEMENT

Wes Clarke

Gamecock122

Dec 17, 2005
I think it is a time for him to sit a few games...BA has been tumbling for a month, no sign of a correctio. He's a ride or die guy in the mighty HR.

Reactions: Jbouton2
Since nobody is hitting in SEC play, I would like to see B Fields get some time. At least DH or something. He could do worse. Of course, I'm not a coach and there is probably a reason he isn't playing.

I think it is a time for him to sit a few games...BA has been tumbling for a month, no sign of a correctio. He's a ride or die guy in the mighty HR.
What!?! He is leading the nation in HRs! I believe he had a double in last night’s game too... He is the LAST person in this lineup who needs to sit.

even more disturbing for Wes as DH is all he has to do is concentrate on getting a hit, no fielding issues at all. I cant understand how these young men who have played ball for most of their lives just forget how to in league play...baffles the hell out of me.
i shoot a lot of skeet and i shoot very consistently no matter what gun i have in my hand, however, i do shoot at top of the spectrum with 2 particular guns. How do these people have such a disparity between league play and OOC play?

What!?! He is leading the nation in HRs! I believe he had a double in last night’s game too... He is the LAST person in this lineup who needs to sit.
Ok lifer, what is his average his last 60 at bats? Remember he has dripped from 600+ to now 300.

Wes is a DH. His average is now 206 in current League play..he is not getting it done but he is the clean-up DH. His bat has more meaning than any other bat in the line up. It is now a Wes issue.

Reactions: Jbouton2
You just don’t bench your best hitter. He is not hot like he was early in the year but he is still hitting dingers and has more than anyone in the country at last check. We need the guys around him to do more as well.

Hope he continues to improve. Good start to that.
Absolutely! I think we hit the ball hard a lot today... did not need a bunch to fall to build a big lead thankfully because Mizzou was catching most of them...

Baseball at all levels is gradually losing the interest of most . I use to love the game but seldom watch at all especially since the strike in 94 ..... the game is too long and really boring for the kids of today

Baseball at all levels is gradually losing the interest of most . I use to love the game but seldom watch at all especially since the strike in 94 ..... the game is too long and really boring for the kids of today
Most sports are pretty boring if you do not have a strong rooting interest for one of the teams playing IMO. That is why I am so into Gamecock baseball- I just don’t care that much about most pro teams. Seems college ball moves a little faster and has more passion than the pros.., Something pure about the college game. These guys are literally playing because they love it- most don’t even get a full ride to do it!

Good lord ,he is batting 300 and leads the nation in HRs. He was never going to bat 600. That was going to come down.
I'm more interested in his average playing SEC teams. This will tell the true story when playing regional games.

Every hitter goes through slumps. Hank Aaron and Babe went through them. Wes will find his way out in due time. He's a talented hitter and there's no reason to think he can't get it going again.

The pitching quality is much different in the SEC than those early games. He's still getting on base a bunch and I think he'll continue to make adjustments until he gets his confidence back. I see no good reason at all to bench him unless he just needs a break.

Reactions: myrtlecock
Every hitter goes through slumps. Hank Aaron and Babe went through them. Wes will find his way out in due time. He's a talented hitter and there's no reason to think he can't get it going again.

The pitching quality is much different in the SEC than those early games. He's still getting on base a bunch and I think he'll continue to make adjustments until he gets his confidence back. I see no good reason at all to bench him unless he just needs a break.
Agree- also, nobody ever hit their way out of a slump from the dugout.

Reactions: kawalski
lol. You cant make this stuff up. You dont sit a hitter, you let them hit out of the slump.

He was 2 for 5 yesterday with two singles and a run scored. That's batting 400 for the day. Probably not too many on the bench that will do that.

OP I'm glad you aren't our coach.

The pitching at this level is far different than it was in the out of conference schedule. Especially since teams have set rotations now and were probably tinkering early on.

Wes is a DH. His average is now 206 in current League play..he is not getting it done but he is the clean-up DH. His bat has more meaning than any other bat in the line up. It is now a Wes issue.
I would add he is there to drive in runs as the DH. His plate approach is selfish in my opinion. Very high % of pull swings, no matter the situation. HR is nice, but driving in runs with Sac Fly, hit to opposite side to move runners etc is huge as a team player.

Reactions: uscedge21
I’m sure that the opposing pitchers take NO chances giving Clarke a decent pitch to hit.
Still too many K's for a guy expected to bring in runs. In my opinion if he is not getting decent pitches he should not be trying to pull everything. Quite honestly I don't know why teams don't play a shift more on him.

I’m sure that the opposing pitchers take NO chances giving Clarke a decent pitch to hit.
He'll chase the low and away, and the SEC guys have started throwing that to him. It's called good scouting. We just need our coaches to continue to drill it into his head to stop swinging at that one. He's gotten better, but still has a bit to go IMO.

He'll chase the low and away, and the SEC guys have started throwing that to him. It's called good scouting. We just need our coaches to continue to drill it into his head to stop swinging at that one. He's gotten better, but still has a bit to go IMO.
Call it a hunch, but I have this feeling that a lot of light bulbs clicked on yesterday for the players and the entire team knows what they need to work on. If I'm Kingston, I'm feeling pretty good about that right now and I'm looking forward to practice.

Call it a hunch, but I have this feeling that a lot of light bulbs clicked on yesterday for the players and the entire team knows what they need to work on. If I'm Kingston, I'm feeling pretty good about that right now and I'm looking forward to practice.
I think the near fight involving Stu lit some light bulbs too. I've never heard a cheer that loud for a George Callil hit like yesterday in the bottom of the 8th.

Reactions: bucketdad
I see Wes as similar to Austin Riley with the Braves. When he first came up, he was mashing the ball, really driving it. Then major league pitchers found he had a hole in his swing. All hitters have them , except maybe Tony Gwynn and Rod Carew. They keep pitching to his swing hole until he proves that he can hit pitches in the swing hole. Once he can consistently do that, they will seek another weakness.

Teams know Wes can hit the ball out of any park including Yellowstone. He has a swing hole. The announcers alluded to it yesterday. Why he stood and took two fastballs in his zone, I have no explanation for. But consider this. A pitcher throws a round ball at varying speeds, in varying locations with varying travel paths. A batter has a round bat and must speed up his swing, delay his swing or decide not to swing in a matter of tenths of seconds, He has to see the spin on the ball to decide what the ball is going to do all the while thinking about the scouting report on the pitcher. Successful players FAIL 70% of the time to get a hit and are named to the hall of fame.

He needs extra hitting practice working on his swing hole. I think he needs to go up and hack at the first pitch more. It's usually the best pitch he sees.

Reactions: roosterbell
I see Wes as similar to Austin Riley with the Braves. When he first came up, he was mashing the ball, really driving it. Then major league pitchers found he had a hole in his swing. All hitters have them , except maybe Tony Gwynn and Rod Carew. They keep pitching to his swing hole until he proves that he can hit pitches in the swing hole. Once he can consistently do that, they will seek another weakness.

Teams know Wes can hit the ball out of any park including Yellowstone. He has a swing hole. The announcers alluded to it yesterday. Why he stood and took two fastballs in his zone, I have no explanation for. But consider this. A pitcher throws a round ball at varying speeds, in varying locations with varying travel paths. A batter has a round bat and must speed up his swing, delay his swing or decide not to swing in a matter of tenths of seconds, He has to see the spin on the ball to decide what the ball is going to do all the while thinking about the scouting report on the pitcher. Successful players FAIL 70% of the time to get a hit and are named to the hall of fame.

He needs extra hitting practice working on his swing hole. I think he needs to go up and hack at the first pitch more. It's usually the best pitch he sees.
Yellowstone must be smaller than Texas's ballpark. 😄

Reminds me of "A League of Their Own". Dottie tells the pitcher "Throw her high ones. Can't hit' em, can't lay off 'em".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT