ADVERTISEMENT

What are "freshman" mistakes when it comes to QB?

kotr

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2019
After Doty's half of football against Missouri, I saw several people mention that he made several "freshman" mistakes. Examples that were cited included off-target passes, bad reads (especially the one that resulted in the game-ending pick) and throwing the ball after crossing the LOS.

I have a problem labeling these as freshman mistakes. Unless you just have some sort of ax to grind, I don't think anyone could reasonably argue that Tom Brady is one of the best QBs ever. I have seen him commit all of these errors and more. Why can't we just say Doty made some mistakes that can be fixed instead of seemingly searching for a reason not to give hom more of a chance?

Bad reads are freshman mistakes. They're easier for a defense to confuse because they haven't seen it all. But then there are those guys who make the same freshman mistake for years.

It's the most complicated position on the field. Anytime you have more to learn, the more mistakes you are going to make. And the more glaring the errors. And also the more subtle. Many mistakes
that are freshman mistakes are mistakes of inaction. Missing reads. Not checking out of bad plays. Only the coaches know what a player is supposed to do on any given play. Several times after an out on downs the coaches were in his ear telling him what he should have done. When you play a freshman QB you have to live with the mistakes. The interception at the end was a classic bad read. Not a bad throw. He threw it exactly where he was trying to throw it. I love the kid. But he played like a freshman QB.

I agree with much of what was said already. A big part is the speed of college compared to high school. A good example is one of Doty's run when he stopped to avoid a defender and run around him. He was immediately hit from behind. Same with the interception defenders are much faster than high school so you can't get away with as much. I was very impressed with seeing him get better as he got experience in the game. He looks like he will be a good QB

Reactions: The Gadfly
I feel like the OP takes offense to the term “freshman mistake”. I think just the opposite it’s like saying “he’s young” when a teenager makes a mistake. It’s much worse if a veteran makes same said mistake. It then becomes a bonehead mistake. Same as “rookie mistake”. Just means you made a mistake that inexperience people do and you need to learn from it.

After Doty's half of football against Missouri, I saw several people mention that he made several "freshman" mistakes. Examples that were cited included off-target passes, bad reads (especially the one that resulted in the game-ending pick) and throwing the ball after crossing the LOS.

I have a problem labeling these as freshman mistakes. Unless you just have some sort of ax to grind, I don't think anyone could reasonably argue that Tom Brady is one of the best QBs ever. I have seen him commit all of these errors and more. Why can't we just say Doty made some mistakes that can be fixed instead of seemingly searching for a reason not to give hom more of a chance?
I think that is exactly what people are saying by “freshman mistakes” though right? Like it is a way of being dismissive and giving him a break... Not searching for a reason not to give him more of a chance... Right?

Like, take Bentley- year one he made mistakes but people were still really excited about his potential and dismissed them as freshmen mistakes. As a Junior, when he made those same mistakes they were using them as a reason not to give him a chance because he did not learn from his past mistakes.. Just my take. I have not seen anyone writing Doty off, in fact everyone I have seen talk about it seems to want him to start against UGA for us this weekend.. Right?

There is looking down at the primary receiver, not going through all the progressions, not picking up defensive disguises (bad reads) and the most common is forcing the pass through coverage (hey, I could do this in HS).
It's all part of the growing process, the better ones learn from their mistakes.

There is looking down at the primary receiver, not going through all the progressions, not picking up defensive disguises (bad reads) and the most common is forcing the pass through coverage (hey, I could do this in HS).
It's all part of the growing process, the better ones learn from their mistakes.

“Not going thru progressions.” With South Carolina’s pass pro. Mm-k.

This

All in one half of one game?

It's something everybody conveniently throws out to explain anything that doesn't go right. We've had more of a problem with our QBs getting worse the more they play.

Freshman mistakes at UofSC are.... having played football your entire life...... Then making QB at UofSC and looking like you never played football before or know what a football looks like.

Last edited:
I feel like the OP takes offense to the term “freshman mistake”. I think just the opposite it’s like saying “he’s young” when a teenager makes a mistake. It’s much worse if a veteran makes same said mistake. It then becomes a bonehead mistake. Same as “rookie mistake”. Just means you made a mistake that inexperience people do and you need to learn from it.
In a sense, yes.
I think that is exactly what people are saying by “freshman mistakes” though right? Like it is a way of being dismissive and giving him a break... Not searching for a reason not to give him more of a chance... Right?

Like, take Bentley- year one he made mistakes but people were still really excited about his potential and dismissed them as freshmen mistakes. As a Junior, when he made those same mistakes they were using them as a reason not to give him a chance because he did not learn from his past mistakes.. Just my take. I have not seen anyone writing Doty off, in fact everyone I have seen talk about it seems to want him to start against UGA for us this weekend.. Right?
I get that sentiment, but from what I was reading, I took the tone to be more along the line of saying, "He wasn't very good. He made a lot of freshman mistakes," or, "This is why someone with experience needs to play. Doty made a lot of freshman mistakes."

In a sense, yes.

I get that sentiment, but from what I was reading, I took the tone to be more along the line of saying, "He wasn't very good. He made a lot of freshman mistakes," or, "This is why someone with experience needs to play. Doty made a lot of freshman mistakes."
I guess I have not seen those same comments personally. It seems most want him to play more that I have seen.. but I think we all know one thing is for certain about people these days- we cannot seem to agree on much of anything! So I certainly believe there is a percentage of the fan base who thinks someone else should be playing these last two games.

It just makes sense at this point to empty the benches, put freshmen in, get them some
Experience, and see what they can do while there is no risk to eligibility. JMHO

Taking sack after sack after sack after sack after sack. Oh, wait, that’s a 5th year senior mistake, sorry.
So you're blaming sacks on QB mistakes? Sacks are primarily the result of 2 things: poor OLine play, and lack of QB mobility. It's not a mistake that when the QB is slow, its just a lack of ability. That doesn't improve with age. It is what it is.

So you're blaming sacks on QB mistakes? Sacks are primarily the result of 2 things: poor OLine play, and lack of QB mobility. It's not a mistake that when the QB is slow, its just a lack of ability. That doesn't improve with age. It is what it is.
& yet Hilinski was sacked less than half as much in twice as many games. Getting rid of the ball is allowed by Freshmen Sophomores Juniors Seniors Graduates, slow NFL legends etc.....

I struggle with our continued shuffling of O linemen & we haven’t had a consistent starting line up in a while and where run blocking is supposed to be harder than pass blocking we play to the opposite

& yet Hilinski was sacked less than half as much in twice as many games. Getting rid of the ball is allowed by Freshmen Sophomores Juniors Seniors Graduates, slow NFL legends etc.....

I struggle with our continued shuffling of O linemen & we haven’t had a consistent starting line up in a while and where run blocking is supposed to be harder than pass blocking we play to the opposite
Some of that is poor play calling and/or poor execution. Mizzou continued to blitz off the edge and we did not change anything to address it. Several times the OLB came untouched and unimpeded off the edge straight to the QB. Even Cam Newton would have a hard time not taking a sack in that situation. There was never any accounting for the blitz. That goes purely to coaching.

One time Harris came across the field in motion to the right but when the ball was snapped he did not read the blitz, even though we knew it was coming and made no attempt block the lB coming off the edge. He just ran right past him and the guy went unimpeded straight to the QB for a sack. This is just inexcusable.

Some of that is poor play calling and/or poor execution. Mizzou continued to blitz off the edge and we did not change anything to address it. Several times the OLB came untouched and unimpeded off the edge straight to the QB. Even Cam Newton would have a hard time not taking a sack in that situation. There was never any accounting for the blitz. That goes purely to coaching.
I thought hill was in charge of protections and that was part of the reason he gave us the best chance to win

I thought hill was in charge of protections and that was part of the reason he gave us the best chance to win
Hill is the QB. He is charge of calling the play signaled in from the sideline. An OLineman (usually the Center) is in charge of calling the blocking scheme to go with the play. Hill, nor Doty, nor Hilinski can play QB and also be involved in the blocking.

Freshmen (aka rookie) mistake: any error that is more from a lack of experience than due to lack of training or natural talent.

For example, driving a car with manual transmission. One can have all the requisite hand eye coordination, and motor control. A trainer can walk you through all the steps to get into gear and shift. Still a new driver will stall out or grind the gears or ... for some (many) things talent and training can only get one so far - you need experience to master the skill.

Hill is the QB. He is charge of calling the play signaled in from the sideline. An OLineman (usually the Center) is in charge of calling the blocking scheme to go with the play. Hill, nor Doty, nor Hilinski can play QB and also be involved in the blocking.
I guess that’s where I am confused we heard about Hill mastery of the offense and making all these changes at the line when we were having success

Ok, last night was a good example of Freshman mistakes. Doty played a good game and didn't make any major mistakes, but he made some bad reads and as a freshman, he was a half second slow in his decision making. That slight hesitation can make the difference in a nothing play and a good play. That is the kind of thing that will improve over time. The game is fast and it will slow down for him the more he plays so that those decisions will be automatic without hesitation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT