ADVERTISEMENT

What are the thoughts on Meyer to the Jags?

cockn'fyr

Mar 26, 2006
Should be interesting, looks like it's set up to succeed, but would sure like to see him humbled!

I just don’t see it being successful . Other than Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson it’s hard to find a great college coach who made the transition . Saban , Spurrier , Chip Kelly , Lou Holtz , etc etc ... the NFL just chews them up and spits them out . I think it’s just hard for a big time college coach who has 100% control to go to the league and work under a GM . and Owner (who tend to meddle) . Also in the NFL you are dealing with a roster of millionaires who essentially do whatever they want . A player can get you fired in the NFL , not the case in college . I think Urban’s “health issues” will start flaring up in a few years and he will quit .

I just don’t see it being successful . Other than Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson it’s hard to find a great college coach who made the transition . Saban , Spurrier , Chip Kelly , Lou Holtz , etc etc ... the NFL just chews them up and spits them out . I think it’s just hard for a big time college coach who has 100% control to go to the league and work under a GM . and Owner (who tend to meddle) . Also in the NFL you are dealing with a roster of millionaires who essentially do whatever they want . A player can get you fired in the NFL , not the case in college . I think Urban’s “health issues” will start flaring up in a few years and he will quit .
Good points and I would tend to agree with your thoughts. but he's got 11 picks in the draft, 5 of the top 64 and the #1 pick, plus $70 - 100 million cap space. Seems to me like a good base to build from with guys that will follow you and be coachable. It will be interesting to see if he can do it! Plus, I'm assuming his staff will be impressive!

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
I believe he wanted to coach again and knows its very hard to build a dominate defense in college, but you can establish an impactful defense in the pros.

He has major confidence in his offensive chops, and if he drafts efficiently he can build a defense.

He has zero to lose, and a lot-money and fame- to gain.

Why not?

Good points and I would tend to agree with your thoughts. but he's got 11 picks in the draft, 5 of the top 64 and the #1 pick, plus $70 - 100 million cap space. Seems to me like a good base to build from with guys that will follow you and be coachable. It will be interesting to see if he can do it! Plus, I'm assuming his staff will be impressive!

It will be interesting . The jags actually have some pretty nice pieces to build with . James Robinson should get consideration for offensive Rookie of the year and when he’s healthy DJ Chark is a pro bowl caliber receiver . Assuming Trevor is the #1 pick that’s a pretty good big 3 . If I’m Urban I take Trevor and then the best LT available with my next pick . Urban is a winner plain and simple , just not sure how pro players will respond to him . Matt Rhule seems to be a great hire in Carolina so who knows .

Good opportunity for him to chase a bit of a legacy. He has two NCAA titles, and an NFL title would up his status greatly in the line of coaches. And he has a great setup in Jacksonville. They have a few pieces already. The #1 pic which will give him a franchise QB. Tons of draft picks in the near future. And a ton of cap space. Worth a shot

Should be interesting, looks like it's set up to succeed, but would sure like to see him humbled!

If I’m Khan I do it as well. Nothing to lose, sell some tickets for next year and setup Lawrence with a guy that has dynamic offenses.

If it doesn’t work, at least you tried to make a splash for an irrelevant team.

I am a Jags fan because of Gardner and am a fan of Urban. Was hoping Urban would go to Texas. He will have to deal with a lot of prima donnas as the Jag coach. It's puzzling that he didn't take the Texas job but decided to go pro. He probably could have won a NC at Texas and would have been even more of a legend. Wish he had felt that the USC job was a challenge that he wanted much like SS. Of course am in Shane's corner and believe he will do well. A young motivated coach. If(when)he wins a NC at USC he will have Urban polishing his shoes.

Gardner played well while being coached by Leach so maybe his coaching wasn't up to par at the Jags.

ADVERTISEMENT