ADVERTISEMENT

What are your expectations for the football team in 2017?

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
I would like to see us:
1. Compete for the SEC East. Conference is down
2. Win total increase from 6 to 8-9. Schedule is favorable as you could ask in SEC.
3. Get Clemson game competitive again
4. Win the bowl game.

I'm curious what others think????

We can do it. 14+ freshman, now have a season under them, the game should really slow down for them. Knowing where they need to be, play calling. They should, no doubt, improve from 6 games to 8 or 9, maybe 10, not pushing it. It will get better and better.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
As much as I love beating Clemson, 1-11 and beating Clemson would make for a lot of miserable September and October Saturdays.

Truth be told, when we beat Clemson it's usually because we are an 8-9 win team or more, which is where I'd like to see us by seasons end.

There is no reason we cannot compete for the Sec East. It is so down Indiana could compete for it right now

Things I hope to see and will make me feel great:

1) 8 wins
2) Offense starts clicking. O line shows some improvement over last year. Bentley, Dowdle and Edwards all have a year of experience and add in OrTre Smith.....we should look vastly better this year.
3) Defense at least show slight improvement with second year under Muschamp and Skai back. Talent isn't there yet, but second year in program will hopefully yield some benefit.
4) Jamyest Williams gives us a punt return threat by end of season
5) Beat Clemson!!!

If all the above happens, I will be ecstatic. Especially if we beat Clemson. However, I mainly want us to play our best game against Clemson. Always felt like Spurrier gave them our best effort, but I did not feel that way last year. We've got to bring it against those guys.

Reactions: memphis cock#
7-5 regular season plus a bowl win. We should be improved in all aspects but schedule is tougher this season.
I'll go along this. As long as we see improvement in play is what really matters. This may or may not translate into more wins that last season, but what is important is to see step by step improvement in all aspects from the team

1) 8 wins
2) Offense starts clicking. O line shows some improvement over last year. Bentley, Dowdle and Edwards all have a year of experience and add in OrTre Smith.....we should look vastly better this year.
3) Defense at least show slight improvement with second year under Muschamp and Skai back. Talent isn't there yet, but second year in program will hopefully yield some benefit.
5) Beat Clemson!!!

If all the above happens, I will be ecstatic. Especially if we beat Clemson. However, I mainly want us to play our best game against Clemson. Always felt like Spurrier gave them our best effort, but I did not feel that way last year. We've got to bring it against those guys.

Beat Clem at #5?!

We have a better, older, more seasoned team with a tougher schedule than last year. I expect another 6-6 season unless we take it to NC State in game one. Still a year or so out, which sucks because I ain't got many more years left.

Reactions: Cyclone94
We have a better, older, more seasoned team with a tougher schedule than last year. I expect another 6-6 season unless we take it to NC State in game one. Still a year or so out, which sucks because I ain't got many more years left.
Hard to forecast wins because you're just not sure how good other teams are, but I think you can compare where we are now to where we were at this time last year and see Coach Muschamp has increased our talent level.

QB: Improved
RB: Improved
WR: Improved,
TE: More depth, improved
OL: Has to be better

DL: Think we are year stronger and added young talent. Blackshear and Kinlaw could be huge
LB: Skai back, nuff said
DB: JUCO and J Williams improves depth and adds talent

Special teams: Worried, hopefully someone steps up

At this time last year with Skai not able to play can you name a spot where one of our players would have started over a Clemson starter? Think we have seen talent gap close in a year.

7-5 maybe 8-4 if we catch some breaks. Still looking for a passrusher. No experience at LB except Skai. Moving Bailey to tackle tells me we have no depth there. We keep Bentley healthy we are going to put points on the boards. Should be a fun year. GO COCKS

7-5 maybe 8-4 if we catch some breaks. Still looking for a passrusher. No experience at LB except Skai. Moving Bailey to tackle tells me we have no depth there. We keep Bentley healthy we are going to put points on the boards. Should be a fun year. GO COCKS

This is the most realistic. Tx A&M, FL, GA, and Clempson has more talent across the board than we do, so if we happen to upset one of these, great! NC ST, KY, MO, Vandy, TN, AR have the potential to be W's or L's. if we could win all of these and take care of business vs LA Tec, and Wofford we could get to 8 W's which would be a huge success imo. A bowl win on top would give us a boost in recruiting, I think, but I don't want to get expectations up too high. 7-6 plus a bowl win or 8-5 with a bowl win would be a very good year. If it turns out better, then I would say we were ahead of schedule in our rebuild.

At this time last year with Skai not able to play can you name a spot where one of our players would have started over a Clemson starter? Think we have seen talent gap close in a year.

Last year: Tight end. Zach Bailey. Maybe push at RB. (Gallman was a fumbler.) Deebo at WR over Clemsons second wr. Lammons at corner. Fenton at nickle were pushes.

This year: Add Bentley over whoever Clemson has at QB. RB we have the edge. ZB. Hurst. Deebo. Edwards. On D--Skai. BAW. Lammons, Fenton.

S&C will make a big difference in how we stack up.

I would like to see us:
2. Win total increase from 6 to 8-9. Schedule is favorable as you could ask in SEC.
4. Win the bowl game.

Almost exactly what I was going to say. I think we should be able to beat or come damn close to beating clemzun. Their whole offense and most their D is gone. Sure they have good young talent, so do WE. Ours has more experience at most positions. They should have a better D, we should have one of the best offenses in our history. Without knowing anything more than Spring lineups, looks like a good matchup on paper.

8-9 wins is possible especially counting the Bowl game, and I think we have the team to get there as long as we don't have any major injuries... which we WILL. We always lose the MOST important player on the team for at least a couple games- be it Brinkley, Latt, Clowney, Deebo, Garcia, even Shaw missed a few games and portions of games due to injury (we had a great backup for him though)... I cannot really remember a single star we have had who did not sustain some production imparting injury (or dumbass suspension) during their time here that significantly limited their impact during their most important seasons with us.

Last year: Tight end. Zach Bailey. Maybe push at RB. (Gallman was a fumbler.) Deebo at WR over Clemsons second wr. Lammons at corner. Fenton at nickle were pushes.

This year: Add Bentley over whoever Clemson has at QB. RB we have the edge. ZB. Hurst. Deebo. Edwards. On D--Skai. BAW. Lammons, Fenton.

S&C will make a big difference in how we stack up.
Agree with most of this but I don't think we were better at tight end last year their guy got drafted so I would probably put that in the push section. This year we should be way better at TE,QB,RB,C,LB,CB, and S.

7-5 regular season plus a bowl win. We should be improved in all aspects but schedule is tougher this season.[/QUOT
7-5 regular season plus a bowl win. We should be improved in all aspects but schedule is tougher this season.
7-5 8-4 would be my guess but I don't think the schedule looks tougher than last year. I think this is one of the easiest schedules we have had in a good while especially with Clemson losing so much and it's at home.

All of you folks must see a different roster than I do. Sorry, defense will not be good. Have to score 30 plus points offensively. The pieces are not there on defense.

1) 8 wins
5) Beat Clemson!!!

Jam and she both give us punt return/kick off return threats. They just have to learn some patience while back there.

Almost exactly what I was going to say. I think we should be able to beat or come damn close to beating clemzun. Their whole offense and most their D is gone. Sure they have good young talent, so do WE. Ours has more experience at most positions. They should have a better D, we should have one of the best offenses in our history. Without knowing anything more than Spring lineups, looks like a good matchup on paper.

8-9 wins is possible especially counting the Bowl game, and I think we have the team to get there as long as we don't have any major injuries... which we WILL. We always lose the MOST important player on the team for at least a couple games- be it Brinkley, Latt, Clowney, Deebo, Garcia, even Shaw missed a few games and portions of games due to injury (we had a great backup for him though)... I cannot really remember a single star we have had who did not sustain some production imparting injury (or dumbass suspension) during their time here that significantly limited their impact during their most important seasons with us.

"One of the best offenses in our history?" I sure hope you're right. I need to see the improvement in the OL before I can agree with this. There is hope with Elliott gone.

I would like to see us:
4. Win the bowl game.

No one in the East is dominant this year. We should play every East team very competitive. Clemson as well.

It's funny how people complain about the fans having "unrealistic expectations" yet most people on this board expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-9 wins for our football team, which I think is very reasonable. I'd guess 8 and we will probably beat someone most think we will lose to (Tennessee last year) and lose to someone most people think we will beat (Kensucky lately)

I'll admit most years I think we will win more games than we actually do, but every now and then I'm pleasantly surprised with more wins than I thought we would get.

Back the olden days, 9 wins would have been a great year (since fewer games). Another bowl game would be great.

As a competitor you should expect to win every single time no matter what game you play. Anything less than that you have already lost.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT