ADVERTISEMENT

What conf record will get us in the NCAA ?

Doubtful a couple of those losses really sting/stink , 21&10, and I feel more realistic solid tournament showing in the sec
Bad to contemplate the prospect of playing our best basketball since the Final Four only to find out we have already crapped away our change of Dancing before the middle of January.

Bad to contemplate the prospect of playing our best basketball since the Final Four only to find out we have already crapped away our change of Dancing before the middle of January.

I didn’t see a four game winning streak coming from anywhere. We have to sniff a bubble before we can even chat about being a bubble team

Reactions: HI Cock
I am SO HAPPY the Cocks are playing better. Can any basketball Guru explain how we go from shit the bed to looking like a basketball team in less than a month? Were injuries a problem?

USCALUMNI

I am SO HAPPY the Cocks are playing better. Can any basketball Guru explain how we go from shit the bed to looking like a basketball team in less than a month? Were injuries a problem?
USCALUMNI

Hard to say. They are playing better, Silva in particular. Frank has always been more about the process than the W-L. That's good to an extent - but in a season such as this, it would have been nice to have that Stoney Brook win, etc.

If we go 12-6 and beat OSU = 18-13
Is that good enough?
I think that is the minimum to get us into the discussion. But with that record, we can not afford to go one-and-done at the SEC tournament. I think 20 wins will still be the magic number to feel good about our chances.

And, for the record, I think 12-6 is going to be a really good record in the conference this year. The SEC looks better than it has in ages.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I know people don't want to hear it. Not trying to be negative, but I would be shocked if we finish with a winning record. Just saying. Hope I'm very wrong, but wouldn't be surprised if we are 3-2 in the sec come next Saturday.

20 is likely the number. Need a few wins in the SEC Tourney.

Normally I’d feel this way but a 12-6 record in SEC would be really impressive. A lot of it will depend on where that leaves us in the conference standings and what teams we are competing against on the bubble. But if we were left out with 12 wins I’m pretty sure we’d be the first major conference team with 12 wins to be left out.

If we were to go 12-6 that would mean we would’ve won 13 of our last 20 games which would be very impressive. One key game is the OK State game...could technically win 14 of 20. If we do that, I think that more than compensates for the Stony Brook loss and the Wofford one may not end up looking quite as bad to the committee.

Still, 12-6 will be very difficult. We started the right way to do it, but we’ll face some adversity again this season and it’ll be interesting to see how this team responds. Not to mention, if we did find ourselves in the conversation the final 2 weeks of the regular season, how would these young guys respond to the pressure? Hopefully we’ll find out.

USCALUMNI

It was offensive consistency, missing 4of5 from 3, poor passing, and getting out rebounded in general.
Fast forward
Our offense is being fed from our defense in transition, Silva KOSTAR, Frink, Bryant, are looking to finish at the rim. Lawson Gravett and a few others are making jump shots so we are close to a balanced attack. When 5 or 6 dudes are getting 10+ points & the front line gets rebounds especially the put back variety
You become tuff to beat.

12-6 in this league this year gets us in.
You are (hopefully) correct. The strength of the SEC and how it is perceived around the country should make the difference. That said, we have to actually win those 12 games first.

We lost to Wyoming which is currently last place in Mountain West.
We lost to Wofford and Stoney Brook, both good teams for their divisions, but Power 5 at large teams don't lose all three of these games.
That is a lot to overcome in the eyes of the selection committee. One of those would be ok, but all three is tough.
We need 20 regular season wins to get in. That means 12 out of the final 16 putting us with a final SEC record of 15-6 or 14-7 depending on the OK St. game.
Tall order. Not sure we are capable, but hoping we are.

To get to 20 wins we have to go 12-3 or 11-4 in SEC (depending on if we be Ok. St.)....or pickup extra W's in the SEC tournament.
Tall order for sure

Way too much basketball left to even consider it right now.

Long road to go

We are just taking it one game at a time, I am just here to help the ball club, and the good lord willing weeks from now maybe we will work our way back in sight of a bubble..........

Reactions: vehemon
We lost to Wyoming which is currently last place in Mountain West.
We lost to Wofford and Stoney Brook, both good teams for their divisions, but Power 5 at large teams don't lose all three of these games.
That is a lot to overcome in the eyes of the selection committee. One of those would be ok, but all three is tough.
We need 20 regular season wins to get in. That means 12 out of the final 16 putting us with a final SEC record of 15-6 or 14-7 depending on the OK St. game.
Tall order. Not sure we are capable, but hoping we are.

BATTLE

Our current chances to make the tournament sit at about 3 percent. Which is about the same chance you’d give us to win 12 or 13 conference games. It’s going to take wins against Tennessee, Auburn and Kentucky.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Our RPI is terrible thanks to the slow start. I think we need to go 13-5 and beat OK state. That puts us 19-12 entering SEC tourney, win one game there, we are at least 20-13 and we should be in. If we go 12-6, we probably need an upset over a UT, UK or Auburn and win at least 2-3 games in SEC tourney

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Win the SEC and we get an automatic invitation. To get in as an at large team, we need to have an RPI better than 30 (an estimate). We now have a RPI around 100. We need to win a lot of games (keep up the good work and just win) to improve our RPI. We play a lot of teams that have a better RPI than us so we need to overachieve!

The Answer is 10 - 6 or better regular season conference wins and at least 2 wins in the SEC conference tourney with a first round bye...

More conference wins on the road helps than home wins....

And stay strong and wins in February...

Looking at seeded 8th in the NCAA's....

The answer is, its STILL the beginning of the season. A whole lot more basketball to play. We shouldn't even be talking about it until mid Feb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT