ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn from the 2015 search?

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
Based on what we are doing so far it seems: (Y means we are applying it, N means we are not.)

Don't hire an unsuccessful head coach to be your head coach. Y

Don't chase the hottest head coach or assistant available. Y

Don't overestimate your job. Y

Develop depth in your candidate list. ??

Don't be pressured by outside groups (agents, SEC, former players) N

Ties to Carolina are important. Y

Hire an offensive coach for an offensive game. Y

Give the AD assistance. (Y)

Former players, big names input ok. Donors I get. Player input I get. SC homers I sort of get. Input is one thing. Pressure, like Ray must have felt in 2015, from any group, is not good. That may be the one lesson we did not learn that will sink us again.

We need to make a solid, reasoned assessment and decision free of undue pressure. If its Beamer on that basis, ok. There are no outstanding waving red flags this time with him, only elevated risks. But if we don't do due diligence and simply give in to the loud crowd which exerts pressure....oh well.....

That "the fan" will only be satisfied with Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, or Dan Mullen, all three of which are chomping at the bit to come be our head coach. But Ray Tanner.

That "the fan" will only be satisfied with Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, or Dan Mullen, all three of which are chomping at the bit to come be our head coach. But Ray Tanner.
Ray got us in this position to begin with.

Ties to Carolina? When then that become a qualification and how did we learn that? The Carolina coaching tree has to be the smallest plant in the forest.

Don't chase the hottest HC or assistant? Is that a reference to Herman? Herman was probably very close to coming here and might have done very well, there's not way to know.

Based on what we are doing so far it seems: (Y means we are applying it, N means we are not.)

Former players, big names input ok. Donors I get. Player input I get. SC homers I sort of get. Input is one thing. Pressure, like Ray must have felt in 2015, from any group, is not good. That may be the one lesson we did not learn that will sink us again.

We need to make a solid, reasoned assessment and decision free of undue pressure. If its Beamer on that basis, ok. There are no outstanding waving red flags this time with him, only elevated risks. But if we don't do due diligence and simply give in to the loud crowd which exerts pressure....oh well.....

We don't have the salesmanship anymore via McGee or Hyman. The first change needed to happen at AD last year. That would have given us time to properly sell a vision for this program. Boy have we missed these 2 guys something awful. I now don't Trust Clawson to do the.right thing and make a change at AD. It seems he's conspired to do this reflective search by talking to old players. No offense but the search needed to be beyond SC. We have no salesmen on this staff because I'd we did we wouldn't be talking about Beamer.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Don't chase the hottest HC or assistant? Is that a reference to Herman? Herman was probably very close to coming here and might have done very well, there's not way to know.
Other than what he himself has said. Called strike three.

False. Steve Spurrier got us in this position.
I'd argue Spurrier Jr, because after Beamer left our recruiting went down the tubes. But it was SOS that put his boy in that position, so you may have a point. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Five years of muschampocryty.

..............that Tanner should not be involved in recruiting head coaches.

DON’T LEAVE IT TO RAYMOND!!!!

It appears we will do the exact same thing.
Get a huge head start on everyone else. Check

Get everyone excited with some good names that the majority of fan base can get behind. Check

Proceed to go after anyone BUT those names that the majority of fans support (Monken, Beamer). Check

Hire a search firm that was useless last time. Check.

Drag our feet and now the rumors about Tennessee and Auburn pop up so we are competing with them possibly. Check

Piss off the fan base by screwing up such an easy process again. Check

Reactions: vetteluvr
One thing we learned from the 2015- previous coordinator success does not mean a guy is more likely to be successful as a HC!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT