ADVERTISEMENT

What do yall think of Beamer so far. The pros and cons

So, you don’t have a link. Not surprising.

You’re not the only one who knows connected VT people.

Shane wasn’t going to take over for Frank, because he didn’t want to. Tough enough taking over from a HOF Coach, even tougher when it’s your Dad. Bud was the de facto choice, but he was happy being a DC.

Truth be told, Shane probably never would’ve coached that stretch at VT if Sr hadn’t decided to replace him as RC with Jr. Which, by the way, was the beginning of the end for our success. Essentially all it did was give Frank the chance to have the family together and the grandkids close at the end of his career.
LOL- these "provide links" comments have literally become comical now. You show your age with comments like this. Innuendo, talk, sure things that never happened....all these types of things existed before 2004-5 or whenever entering a link as proof became a thing. What do you millennials do for research or term papers now...just put links?

Well apparently there is plenty you don't know about the certain parts of "connected" communities of VT. Mr Foster was never going to be the HC there....or likely anywhere else because of some unusual extracurricular activities.....you see....that's not written down, and there is no link but if you're in the know, you just are in the know.

Also...recruiting coordinator is almost a sentence....not a promotion in college football (also not written down...just knowledge). Your BS is too easy to challenge too. If he left because he wasn't the RC at Carolina, then why has he never been the RC anywhere since then? Why wouldn't he leave and be the RC for at least ONE year at VT? Why not be the RC at GA, OU...since he likes it so much and that was a reason for him leaving? You newbie Shane (paid?) trolls have discounted a couple of facts while coming on this board. Gamecock FANS are an unusual bunch. Those of us here are LOYAL and tested. You don't stick around this football program (especially) unless you are.

Or I could just say...."where's your link indicating from 2011 that Shane wasn't being groomed to be the next HC at VT".

VT was going to “nosedive” whether Shane was there or not.

As for you stating he was in line for the job, someone determining he wasn’t ready, and not making a big enough contribution....do you have links for those assertions? Or are they your opinion?
They were "going to" nosedive? Why? How? They were playing in a down ACC, with one of the best & proven DCs in the game with no indication of fall off, their primary in state Rival was significantly below their program's level, it's easier to recruit to VT than UVa, Beamer could attract top offensive coaches as VT was commonly in the hunt for conference crowns EVERY year (including the 3 years leading up to Shane's first year at VT).

When you hire the wrong people....these things happen. What was different about 2011 on? Some of us have been sober and sain as college football fans, and know very common knowledge about programs and scenarios. I also know Bill McCartney's daughter got pregnant by his QB at Colorado...and a link wouldn't be available in 1989. It was commonly known in early 90s just as it is today.

Where are your links proving VT "was going to nosedive"? Is that your opinion? Did any news or situations happen before the internet era for you? Was WW2 just a ruse? I'm not totally sure...A lot of people talked about it, but there was no link from the 40s proving it.

Your question isn’t serious. How is supporting the new HC obtuse? Simply because YOU don’t like him?
His question is serious. We don't dislike him, are pulling for him and want the best for Carolina.
But, there was an immediate bombarding of all things positive/great/unbelievable for Shane Beamer (an unproven HC or coordinator) that point to a dedicated arsenal of keyboard warriors doing "business" for someone not too unlike what we saw in the last election and recent social media campaign.

I think we will know after 2 seasons if we are going in the right direction with Shane Beamer. The two indicators will be recruiting and the team's performance on the field.

I like him personally and I like the way he went about handling the transition from Muschamp and hiring his staff. I have some questions about his coordinators, but as long as he takes action to correct any issues that crop up then I'm willing to forgive a few missteps.

But I see no gain in continuing to question the hire and finding things to criticize about him. We will know soon enough if we made a mistake or if we found our guy.

His question is serious. We don't dislike him, are pulling for him and want the best for Carolina.
But, there was an immediate bombarding of all things positive/great/unbelievable for Shane Beamer (an unproven HC or coordinator) that point to a dedicated arsenal of keyboard warriors doing "business" for someone not too unlike what we saw in the last election and recent social media campaign.
Conspiracy theories....yes it is all a coordinated effort by Carolina fans that disguise themselves as Clem5on trolls. Geez.

I think you might be getting a little carried away.

I think we will know after 2 seasons if we are going in the right direction with Shane Beamer. The two indicators will be recruiting and the team's performance on the field.

I like him personally and I like the way he went about handling the transition from Muschamp and hiring his staff. I have some questions about his coordinators, but as long as he takes action to correct any issues that crop up then I'm willing to forgive a few missteps.

But I see no gain in continuing to question the hire and finding things to criticize about him. We will know soon enough if we made a mistake or if we found our guy.
Far too reasonable a post for this Forum.

Right on. I thought it was an underwhelming hire but it's done and Beamer will have every chance to succeed. Unlike Muschamp, I'm cautiously optimistic and hope he knows when to pull the plug on a bad coordinator. There are signs he can recruit. (If he can cheat, the sky is the limit - see Dabo) But I don't expect much this year given the smoldering crater left behind by knucklehead.

Based on very early returns, I suspect he'll be able to recruit at least as well as any other head coach we've had.

Reactions: jeff2001
I think if Coach Beamer fields a competitive team, recruiting is positive and game management is good we will be ok. We had several head scratching decisions during games the past few years that made us know we were not going to our coach anyone!

Conspiracy theories....yes it is all a coordinated effort by Carolina fans that disguise themselves as Clem5on trolls. Geez.
yeah...that's not what I meant. I think there is a movement that was brought in to make sure there was plenty of glee around every move made...whether a colossal mistake or win.

D'Angelo Hall was pretty ticked that we hired Beamer as our HC before VT could hire him...no link here, but you can find his comments in a recent interview on YouTube. I don't believe the rumor that he went to VT to take over for his father, but failed to get across the finish line.

D'Angelo Hall was pretty ticked that we hired Beamer as our HC before VT could hire him...no link here, but you can find his comments in a recent interview on YouTube. I don't believe the rumor that he went to VT to take over for his father, but failed to get across the finish line.

I find it a bit funny we complain that Ray Tanner is too close to the coaches which is why he makes bad decisions about them. Then we want to take advice from people that are probably too close to a person to make an objective assessment.

I think we'll know by the end of '21.
I said 2 seasons because if things are really bad down there (let's face it, it was a dumpster fire) it might take a year to weed out the bad apples. I expect the coming season will start well because of the schedule, but it gets progressively more difficult. We just may not be able to see the improvement at first - and the early season games won't be much of a barometer. I mean what will beating Eastern Illinois prove?

By the middle of 2022 we ought to see some serious improvement. But we might see it before then.

A lot depends on the QB situation.

Well apparently there is plenty you don't know about the certain parts of "connected" communities of VT. Mr Foster was never going to be the HC there....or likely anywhere else because of some unusual extracurricular activities.....you see....that's not written down, and there is no link but if you're in the know, you just are in the know.

Also...recruiting coordinator is almost a sentence....not a promotion in college football (also not written down...just knowledge). Your BS is too easy to challenge too. If he left because he wasn't the RC at Carolina, then why has he never been the RC anywhere since then? Why wouldn't he leave and be the RC for at least ONE year at VT? Why not be the RC at GA, OU...since he likes it so much and that was a reason for him leaving? You newbie Shane (paid?) trolls have discounted a couple of facts while coming on this board. Gamecock FANS are an unusual bunch. Those of us here are LOYAL and tested. You don't stick around this football program (especially) unless you are.

Or I could just say...."where's your link indicating from 2011 that Shane wasn't being groomed to be the next HC at VT".
Bud was linked at the hip to Frank. Never was seriously considered as a HBC anywhere else because of concerns about his drinking. Not a huge secret, he was such a regular at one local bar that there’s a drink named after him.

RC may or may not get a bump in pay. Is it a “promotion”? Depends on how you look at it. It’s a lot of extra work trying to manage the recruiting process. It’s certainly easier at some programs that have more resources than others.

SB left here because his contract was up, if he signed a new contract it wouldn’t have included RC in his responsibilities. Why? Because Jr wanted to spend less time on the road, more time at home with his family. I’m sure he took it as a slap in the face, especially after fixing the absolute mess David Reaves left behind.

He went to programs that already had a RC in place. Why would Frank make him RC? He was already AHC.

There definitely were early thoughts about Shane eventually taking over, but it’s hard following a legend. Especially when that legend is a HOF Coach, with a street named after him, and the workout facility nicknamed after him. Literally everything with that program was associated with Frank.

It’s natural that some people expect a son to take over for the Dad. Same happened here with expectations of Skip following Lou, and Jr following Sr. But those things seldom work out, all it takes is a dalliance with a coed or destroying a recruiting strategy to torpedo the idea.

Ultimately, what happened to Frank happens to many successful, legendary coaches when they get old. They slip, and the program struggles. The fan base is torn, and the Administratiln is stuck between pushing them out or hoping they’ll regain a little magic and step down. Doesn’t matter if it’s a Bowden, Spurrier, Dantonio, etc, the script pretty much stays the same.

VT had a fairly new AD at the time, with a fanbase torn between keeping Frank or pushing him out for someone younger. Ultimately they pushed him out, with the caveat that whoever took his place would keep Bud on staff At that point Shane wasn’t in consideration for the HBC job because the Admin wanted a clean break, they didn’t want the shadow of Frank hanging around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT