ADVERTISEMENT

What do yall think of Beamer so far. The pros and cons

Don't think so, not as far as the majority is concerned. Point being that I do believe that the majority of us truly realize that its simply going to take time, and more than likely there'll be a setback or two or three or four.

BUT, because he wants to be here more than any other potential coach, and because its simply in his DNA, if given the needed time and support then Shane Beamer WILL MAKE THIS PROGRAM A WINNER!! Like I said though, its gonna take a few seasons of fine tuning to get the program to the scale of success that the majority of us fans want.

If anyone needs to review a program that succeeded in doing exactly what we're faced with, and a program that let its coach keep doing all the fine tuning over a 6.5 year period that got them in the playoffs and of course their success from that point, then look no further than Pickens county.

Like the old saying states, patience is a virtue. I sure as hail hope the majority of our fanbase has such!!
I think expecting what happened at Clemson to happen at U.S.C is setting yourself up for a heartbreak. Coaches like Dabo are once in a blue moon. Look how many coaches are out there and how many have been as successful as Dabo. I know ya'll hate him but the truth is the truth.

Reactions: hillstosea
where is he proven? He has never HCeed any team? Proven? So proven that Athlon has us at the bottom of the SEC?
Just like every player we’ve ever recruited is proven. They would have been playing at a lower level if they weren’t proven right? That’s how this works?

where is he proven? He has never HCeed any team? Proven? So proven that Athlon has us at the bottom of the SEC?
Yet he went from SC, to VT, to UGA to OU...a step up each time. He has proven to have already won over the team. He knows football. Both sides and ST. He will do well here.

Reactions: jerryusc

He was way too proven that nm
Yet he went from SC, to VT, to UGA to OU...a step up each time. He has proven to have already won over the team. He knows football. Both sides and ST. He will do well here.

So proven that he made parallel moves. His only shot is at SC - to prove himself. Ray gave him that shot. Ray is infinitely wise. He sees things others don’t.

I think expecting what happened at Clemson to happen at U.S.C is setting yourself up for a heartbreak. Coaches like Dabo are once in a blue moon. Look how many coaches are out there and how many have been as successful as Dabo. I know ya'll hate him but the truth is the truth.
Dude, come on now. I don't have time to clarify for ya, but that ain't even close to my point, which is SIMPLY TO GIVE BEAMER TIME!!! Sorry to crush your lame attempt at humor there, butcha barkin' up the wrong tree.

See ya. Gotta sh_t I gotta do in the work world.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Results on the field ultimately are what matters.

I like that the media seems to like him and want him to do well, to the extent that they can actually express that. We've heard people like Chris Fowler and Paul Finebaum say what a genuine guy he is.

I never got the impression that WM was somebody that the media wanted to see do well. Probably because he was smug and acted like he knew more than them. You can get away with that if you're Nick Saban or Urban Meyer. Not so much if you're Will Muschamp.

I don't see a downside in Beamer being somebody the media wants to be able to tell a good story about if we can give them winning to go along with it. I mean I hate Clemson and Dabo as much as anybody but he understands the value of favorable press. We need that.

Just to be truthful and of course I hope I’m wrong. I think this coming year will be zero improvement and may be even worse than last year. This is not a reflection on Beamer. It is a reflection of the state of our program. I see a lot of similarities in Beamers first year of taken over and Lou holtz’s . Muschamp had it a lot better than Beamer in my opinion.

Last edited:
This could very easily be wishful thinking, but I think Beamer will turn out to be an excellent choice, and I think it will show sooner than expected. That doesn't mean we will win more than 4 games this year, but I think the improvement will be visible on the field. Muschamp, obviously, could not manage all the moving pieces it takes to be competent in the SEC, let alone be competitive.

I wanted Muschamp to succeed, but it was obvious at least two years ago that he could not get 11 guys to show up at the same time and same place to execute or defend a play no matter how good those players were. Beamer appears to be more of a manager coach who can put the pieces in place and keep the parts working together.

We'll find out in a hurry, if we go 2-0 like I think we will and look good doing it, and then make a decent, competent looking effort at Georgia, then hopefully we're moving in the right direction. And just maybe we'll get to 5 wins. 6 wins would be dreamy.

Just to be truthful and of course I hope I’m wrong. I think this coming year will be zero improvement and may be even worse than last year. This is not a reflection on Beamer. It is a reflection of the state of our program. I see a lot of similarities in Beamers first year of taken over and Lou holtz’s . Muschamp had it a lot better than Beamer in my opinion.
This is going to be the narrative that’s given after a disastrous season this year. But it’s far from the truth.

Muschamp took over a team that had just lost to The Citadel.

This is going to be the narrative that’s given after a disastrous season this year. But it’s far from the truth.

Muschamp took over a team that had just lost to The Citadel.
Muschamp went 6-6 then lost the bowl game then went 9-4 second year. He hardly was left with nothing. Beamer if he can win 6 games this year would be way above expectations.

Muschamp went 6-6 then lost the bowl game then went 9-4 second year. He hardly was left with nothing. Beamer if he can win 6 games this year would be way above expectations.
He went 6-6 and 9-4 because he brought in a difference maker at QB and WR in his first class.

Pretending the cabinet wasn’t bare when he got here is disingenuous.

I think the DC coach will prove to be a good one. Also, think Shane is more than ready to lead a major football program. Just recognize the mountain he’s having to climb.

Reactions: WingchunCock
My question if there is steady improvement but he doesn't quite get to where everyone wants to be in year 5-6, will we do something so not Carolina and actually give him more time to get over the hump? Or will be what we've always been - impatient?
And that IS the question. Tough neighborhood. Think the answer to more time is- do we see steady improvement, even if it’s in bits and pieces.

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
My question if there is steady improvement but he doesn't quite get to where everyone wants to be in year 5-6, will we do something so not Carolina and actually give him more time to get over the hump? Or will be what we've always been - impatient?
Hopefully improvement will be quick and impressive. Though I don't think giving Muschamp, Brad or Sparky more time would have helped.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
And that IS the question. Tough neighborhood. Think the answer to more time is- do we see steady improvement, even if it’s in bits and pieces.
Steady improvement, even in bits and pieces, will eventually lead to all those bits and pieces joining together and forming what we all strive for. SOS did it. But he got lazy and didn't do what he needed to sustain it. Here's hoping CSB saw that and learns from it, not to do the same.

Reactions: WingchunCock
Steady improvement, even in bits and pieces, will eventually lead to all those bits and pieces joining together and forming what we all strive for. SOS did it. But he got lazy and didn't do what he needed to sustain it. Here's hoping CSB saw that and learns from it, not to do the same.
The problem, imho, is that incremental improvement can be mistaken for lack of serious progress, and vice versa.

And too many people will hold on to and argue for one side because of emotional investment, or some other reason.

To put it shortly, its grey area at that point, and arguable. I'd so much rather have a distinctly obvious outcome.

The problem, imho, is that incremental improvement can be mistaken for lack of serious progress, and vice versa.

And too many people will hold on to and argue for one side because of emotional investment, or some other reason.

To put it shortly, its grey area at that point, and arguable. I'd so much rather have a distinctly obvious outcome.
I think if we keep our heads about us and remember constantly just how really bad it was under WM, maybe, just maybe, we as fans will be able to take the emotion out of it.

Yeah...not going to hold my breath. I fully expect the "Fire CSB" posts to start the first busted play. 😄

I disagree. A lot of his moves have been lateral. He may do well, but I predict we are looking for a coach in 5 or 6 years. Or rather, I predict that a large portion of our fan base will want us to be looking for a new coach, even if we're not actively looking.

All I care about is win-loss record but certainly agree we should analyze the limited amount of data we have thus far...

Pro: His last name isn’t Muschamp

Con: Couldn’t pull one big name assistant coach
Justin Stepp says hello as well as Pete Lembo

Good question. VT gave his dad time, we would have fired him.

Beamer's record in his first six seasons was 24-40-2, a win percentage of .385. After the team went 2–8–1 in 1992, athletic director Dave Braine believed in Beamer and thought he deserved more time. It proved to be a wise decision; the Hokies would not suffer another losing season under Beamer's watch.[8][9][10][11][12] At his hall of fame induction, Beamer said he would have been unlikely to survive his early years had he been coaching in the 2010

Pro - he seems to be the opposite of Muschamp, in every way.
Con - I agree with jeff, I would’ve thought at least on OK transfer would’ve followed.
Time will tell.
How many years do y’all give him to reach 10 wins or an Eastern Division before people start to get restless?
3 Games! And then....."Far Beamer"

I disagree. A lot of his moves have been lateral. He may do well, but I predict we are looking for a coach in 5 or 6 years. Or rather, I predict that a large portion of our fan base will want us to be looking for a new coach, even if we're not actively looking.
I disagree. I think in 5 years people will be very happy with where we are.

He was way too proven that nm

So proven that he made parallel moves. His only shot is at SC - to prove himself. Ray gave him that shot. Ray is infinitely wise. He sees things others don’t.
AHC at OU is step up from UGA. Again if he wasn’t a good coach the schools he moved to would be a downward trend not an upward one.
He didn’t start at OU and end up at App ST....

Reactions: jerryusc
Spurrier started beating UF and teams if that caliber very early. The glimpses of greatness were right there. What he did with Mitchell was just a thing of beauty. Beamer is no Spurrier.
Spurrier also followed Holtz, who did his own rebuilding job after FatBrad...the team wasn’t as dire as what Holtz walked into.

It seems like the players like him, he is an impassioned speaker and expresses himself well. The thing I do like about him is that he has coached all over the field! He coached defensive positions, Special Teams (duh), multiple offensive positions and had assistant coach duties at multiple programs... From his comments it seems that he knows exactly what he wants from all sides of the ball. He made a comment after the Spring game about not showing anything on STs because he has his style of play there, coach Pete has his and other people don’t know what their styles look like together so they want to keep it that way. I am looking forward to some creative Special Teams plays under Beamer and Lembo!

I don’t have terribly high expectations for year one, but the schedule looks easy early on. If we can go 4-2 or better over the first 6 games we could have a shot at a bowl. That should be the goal year one. If he makes a bowl next year I will be very happy and consider that progress...

Pros =he seems to have brought lots of new energy in the program.
Players seems to like him.
Got a proven pass rusher and a proven WR from the portal.
I dont know how many he will get ,but is recruiting top players from around the country.
And I might add he let's the coaches and the players talk to the media.
Cons = I'm surprised he didnt get 1 of the Oklahoma transfer portal guys.
Pros: Attitude, youthful excitement and attempts at culture change. Being 100% invested is important. Getting Justin Steppe was a coup IMO. Best hire by far.
Cons: Most of the other coaches and players he's landed thus far. No star or name recognition ability to bring in huge recruits or coaches (like I think it was hinted at he could do and expected).

Reactions: Lakecock1
Pros: Attitude, youthful excitement and attempts at culture change. Being 100% invested is important. Getting Justin Steppe was a coup IMO. Best hire by far.
Cons: Most of the other coaches and players he's landed thus far. No star or name recognition ability to bring in huge recruits or coaches (like I think it was hinted at he could do and expected).
Gray is regarded as an excellent recruiter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT