ADVERTISEMENT

What do yall think of Beamer so far. The pros and cons

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
Pros =he seems to have brought lots of new energy in the program.
Players seems to like him.
Got a proven pass rusher and a proven WR from the portal.
I dont know how many he will get ,but is recruiting top players from around the country.
And I might add he let's the coaches and the players talk to the media.
Cons = I'm surprised he didnt get 1 of the Oklahoma transfer portal guys.

Pro - he seems to be the opposite of Muschamp, in every way.
Con - I agree with jeff, I would’ve thought at least on OK transfer would’ve followed.
Time will tell.
How many years do y’all give him to reach 10 wins or an Eastern Division before people start to get restless?

I’m cautiously optimistic. I like everything he’s doing with regard to culture and media availability. The proof will indeed be in the W-L pudding though, so it’s truly a ‘wait and see’.
My biggest concern is if his coordinators can succeed at the D1/SEC level. Not bagging on them at all, but we have some staff who have yet to do it at this level - it’s just a matter of fact. I’m of course hoping they all wildly exceed any expectations!!

Why would anyone not support his enthusiasm and hard work at this stage? Why would anyone not recognize and appreciate - at this stage - the culture he is building in the program?

Look, we don't have a competitive Power Five football team yet. How could we? Last year's team was bereft both in coaching and personnel. We had a terrible football team. I don't mean the players were bad people, but we did not have the makings of a legitimate major college football team, let alone an SEC team. We would have been doormats in that neighboring league we love to criticize. If anyone thinks otherwise, that person deceives himself/herself.

Everything that was broken won't all be fixed between now and this coming fall. All I want to see are definite signs that the product is being upgraded and will continue to be upgraded. As long as I see that, I'm good. I truly expect to see that.

This is going to take a minute or two. All you people who are wanting to get older so you can retire need to savor the moment. That would be true in any case, but I wish I had more time to observe what I hope is going to happen. No, I'm not sick. Give the young man a chance. At least you can rest assured that he and this staff are putting all they have into getting this program where it ought to be. God bless.

Why would anyone not support his enthusiasm and hard work at this stage? Why would anyone not recognize and appreciate - at this stage - the culture he is building in the program?

Look, we don't have a competitive Power Five football team yet. How could we? Last year's team was bereft both in coaching and personnel. We had a terrible football team. I don't mean the players were bad people, but we did not have the makings of a legitimate major college football team, let alone an SEC team. We would have been doormats in that neighboring league we love to criticize. If anyone thinks otherwise, that person deceives himself/herself.

Everything that was broken won't all be fixed between now and this coming fall. All I want to see are definite signs that the product is being upgraded and will continue to be upgraded. As long as I see that, I'm good. I truly expect to see that.

This is going to take a minute or two. All you people who are wanting to get older so you can retire need to savor the moment. That would be true in any case, but I wish I had more time to observe what I hope is going to happen. No, I'm not sick. Give the young man a chance. At least you can rest assured that he and this staff are putting all they have into getting this program where it ought to be. God bless.

Excellent.

I’m cautiously optimistic. I like everything he’s doing with regard to culture and media availability. The proof will indeed be in the W-L pudding though, so it’s truly a ‘wait and see’.
My biggest concern is if his coordinators can succeed at the D1/SEC level. Not bagging on them at all, but we have some staff who have yet to do it at this level - it’s just a matter of fact. I’m of course hoping they all wildly exceed any expectations!!
This is how I feel. I like his energy and he clearly loves being the coach here. That means a lot.

But at first blush his coordinators are not what I expected.

OC = ass't oline coach with the Panthers (failed as a head coach, but was taught by Matt Rhule)
DC = DC at Western Kentucky (Broyles Award twice though)

But he picked these guys for a reason. He saw something in them and believes they will succeed. Some of the position coaches are outstanding. Those might be the difference makers.

Pro - he seems to be the opposite of Muschamp, in every way.
Con - I agree with jeff, I would’ve thought at least on OK transfer would’ve followed.
Time will tell.
How many years do y’all give him to reach 10 wins or an Eastern Division before people start to get restless?
Well in the 130 years of our program we have 3 seasons over 10 wins and 1 East. If he’s not up to 8 wins by year 3 people will get restless.

Reactions: Brace1
Wasn't Muschamp also full of "new energy" and hit the recruiting trail like a mad man out of the gate?
I honestly was feeling good about Muschamp's energy/effort at this same stage too. I remember he visited some local kid day 1 at his school. I was loving that coming off Spurrier's laid back recruiting approach.

It comes down to wins....no one will care about the sentimental side or bringing back all these old faces if we're still winning 3-5 games a year.

All that said, I like him so far...hope he and his staff are doing a good job of coaching!!!

He's in the honeymoon period. Most of his actions are viewed in a positive light because we all want or should I say need to see improvement in this program.
It would be difficult to find much wrong at this point.
Bottom line will be W vs L.

Wasn't Muschamp also full of "new energy" and hit the recruiting trail like a mad man out of the gate?
I honestly was feeling good about Muschamp's energy/effort at this same stage too. I remember he visited some local kid day 1 at his school. I was loving that coming off Spurrier's laid back recruiting approach.

It comes down to wins....no one will care about the sentimental side or bringing back all these old faces if we're still winning 3-5 games a year.

All that said, I like him so far...hope he and his staff are doing a good job of coaching!!!
I think Muschamp was all smoke and mirrors. He tried to do everything himself as if he were the best at everything. He'll do okay as a DC but he doesn't understand how to build a program.

Well in the 130 years of our program we have 3 seasons over 10 wins and 1 East. If he’s not up to 8 wins by year 3 people will get restless.
Don't think so, not as far as the majority is concerned. Point being that I do believe that the majority of us truly realize that its simply going to take time, and more than likely there'll be a setback or two or three or four.

BUT, because he wants to be here more than any other potential coach, and because its simply in his DNA, if given the needed time and support then Shane Beamer WILL MAKE THIS PROGRAM A WINNER!! Like I said though, its gonna take a few seasons of fine tuning to get the program to the scale of success that the majority of us fans want.

If anyone needs to review a program that succeeded in doing exactly what we're faced with, and a program that let its coach keep doing all the fine tuning over a 6.5 year period that got them in the playoffs and of course their success from that point, then look no further than Pickens county.

Like the old saying states, patience is a virtue. I sure as hail hope the majority of our fanbase has such!!

Pros - He’s swinging for the fences. Pushing for a big social media presence and really going for some home runs on recruiting.

Cons - While I like the staff here now the path to get here was a mess. It’s either a sign of questionable assessments or being controlled by the administration. Either way wasn’t a great way to start.

I honestly was feeling good about Muschamp's energy/effort at this same stage

Muschamp put the 2016 class together on short notice and came away with several players who were drafted or have played in the NFL.

I remeber him sweating on signing day as he went through the info which was memorized as he had been still recruiting, and must of ran to the press conference.

This was a welcome change from Spurrier reading from a pc of paper and looking like it was the first time he read some names.

NFL talent from 2016

Brian Edwards (Already committed, but he kept him and was one of those initial players he visted)

DJ Wonnum
TJ Brunson
Javon Kinlaw (Came later from Jucc but orginally was part of the class)

Rico Dowdle, had a few carries last year for Dallas

Hutcherson has a chance to be drafted and play in the NFL

I think to a extent Muschamp's emphasis on camps, hurt him, you could see in this class it was better then a lot of his classes where he had "camp evaluations" and would brag how 20 of the 23 players went to camp.

I like how Beamer is hitting new areas hard, like Deleware. He is not limited to camp evals like Muschamp became dependent on, imho.

With the status of our competitors, we need to pull some talent from new places outside of NC/GA/SC, etc. UGA, Clemson, UNC are to strong now.

Last edited:
Beamer is going to need some time to truly rebuild enough talent to field a team that can compete in the SEC. It took the goat Spurrier 7 or 8 years to recruit enough players to win. Beamer is not Spurrier he is going to need time. Its very hard to win quickly in the SEC but he's doing the best he can. It will likely come down to time. Will he get enough time to win? I hope so! I support Beamer because he's our coach and he deserves a fair shot. Our fan base is great but the very very vocal impatient A$$ holes can bring you down. Hope that doesn't happen but it might.

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

— The Who —
41zkXKFnDDL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dry humor there hahnenkampf. Dry. Humor. =;-p

Beamer is going to need some time to truly rebuild enough talent to field a team that can compete in the SEC. It took the goat Spurrier 7 or 8 years to recruit enough players to win. Beamer is not Spurrier he is going to need time. Its very hard to win quickly in the SEC but he's doing the best he can. It will likely come down to time. Will he get enough time to win? I hope so! I support Beamer because he's our coach and he deserves a fair shot. Our fan base is great but the very very vocal impatient A$$ holes can bring you down. Hope that doesn't happen but it might.
The same impatient a$$ holes that told you Muschamp was a terrible hire before he coached his first game??

There is only one thing that you can judge objectively at this point. Recruiting! At this point we're not doing so well. Going into May we have a total of 2 commits. I know they are working hard and making a lot of offers, but the only thing that really counts is closing the deal, and they have not been able to do that thus far. Maybe things will pick up in May and June. After July most of the better recruits will be committed, so I hope it picks up with vigor shortly.

With Spring practice we are playing against ourselves so we really cannot judge much else as to the team we have now. That will have to come in September.

His enthusiasm, I think he gets it that we need to build a culture. He speaks of not just USC but the community and State as well.

Pros: None
Cons: we lost almost all of our talented guys to the nfl or transfer portal. So, I see a lot of 30 point L’s this year.

All I can judge him on now is that he had a mess trying to form a staff and his recruiting has been way behind others in the SEC. You can say he is a new coach, but Muschamp was recruiting at a much higher level his first spring ans landed a much better first class

The entire thing seems gimmicky . Maybe he works, but I don't see it. I guess media loves him, but the media loved Holbrook too.

Pros =he seems to have brought lots of new energy in the program.
Players seems to like him.
Got a proven pass rusher and a proven WR from the portal.
I dont know how many he will get ,but is recruiting top players from around the country.
And I might add he let's the coaches and the players talk to the media.
Cons = I'm surprised he didnt get 1 of the Oklahoma transfer portal guys.
IF he can talk a win,.......we may go undefeated!!!!!!!

All I can judge him on now is that he had a mess trying to form a staff and his recruiting has been way behind others in the SEC. You can say he is a new coach, but Muschamp was recruiting at a much higher level his first spring ans landed a much better first class

The entire thing seems gimmicky . Maybe he works, but I don't see it. I guess media loves him, but the media loved Holbrook too.
Muschamp was following Spurrier and success. Beamer is following Muschamp and failure. Not a good comparison.

There is only one thing that you can judge objectively at this point. Recruiting! At this point we're not doing so well. Going into May we have a total of 2 commits. I know they are working hard and making a lot of offers, but the only thing that really counts is closing the deal, and they have not been able to do that thus far. Maybe things will pick up in May and June. After July most of the better recruits will be committed, so I hope it picks up with vigor shortly.

With Spring practice we are playing against ourselves so we really cannot judge much else as to the team we have now. That will have to come in September.
Not a typical year. Most recruits are waiting until they can get on campus

Reactions: redrogers
Muschamp was following Spurrier and success. Beamer is following Muschamp and failure. Not a good comparison.

Muschamp inherited a team that lost to Citadel. The program was in bad shape. When Beamer does something positive other than put out gimmick videos and give the media fun quotes then let me know. As of now it hasn’t been impressive

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT