ADVERTISEMENT

What do you bet that UConn worked with the NCAA

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
Getting a home site tournament and shipping Carolina to California and now they can't come home yet to rest, but heading to Dallas and get ready for Friday night's game...

Sounds suspicious...

The regional site was pre-determined. Of course a city in Connecticut is going to put in a high bid since it's a given UCONN will be the East number 1 seed ever year. As far as USC going to Stockton, it worked out and we don't have to play UCONN until the finals. I don't see any issues.

Reactions: Out of Conference
Getting a home site tournament and shipping Carolina to California and now they can't come home yet to rest, but heading to Dallas and get ready for Friday night's game...

Sounds suspicious...

giphy.gif

If UCONN is willing to play any team anywhere, why doesn't the NCAA ship them off to California for regional play? They need to shake up their monopoly. They sure don't have problems shipping our women off.

It sure didn't bring any excitement to Stockton. That was pathetic attendance at last nights game. Two east coast teams playing in California, makes no sense. And Oregon had to go to yankee land? They could have had a regional in Jacksonville or anywhere in the southeast and had a packed arena, generating some buzz. Puzzling!

It sure didn't bring any excitement to Stockton. That was pathetic attendance at last nights game. Two east coast teams playing in California, makes no sense. And Oregon had to go to yankee land? They could have had a regional in Jacksonville or anywhere in the southeast and had a packed arena, generating some buzz. Puzzling!

The Lexington regional wasn't much better and South Bend isn't that far away. Attendance is an issue for sure.

Since we have a conspiracy thread lets talk about the selection commitee and Baylor, Notre Dame regional locations whle we got to Stockton, California;

Terry Gawlik

Senior Associate Athletic Director for Sports Administration & Senior Women's Administrator at the University of Wisconsin.

Chair of the 2016-17 DI Women’s Basketball Championship Sport Committee

A 1981 graduate of Southwestern University (80 miles south of Waco, Texas) with a bachelor’s degree in physical education and English, Gawlik competed in Volleyball and Basketball. She went on toearn her master’s degree in physical education and educational administration from Texas State University, (145 miles south of Waco, Texas) while coaching collegiate volleyball and basketball at Mary-Hardin Baylor (45 miles south of Waco, Texas). She alsocoached at St. Mary’s University (183 miles south of Waco, Texas) for seven years with their women’s basketball and tennis programs before coaching women’s basketball and track at Austin college (161 miles north of Waco, texas) for two years.

Leslie Claybrook – Southeastern Conference Assistant Commissioner/Championships, 2016-17 DI Women’s Basketball Championship Sport Committee

A native of Luverne, Ala., Claybrook is a graduate of Alabama where she was a four-year letterwinner for the women's basketball team and a three-time selection to the SEC Academic Honor Roll. Claybrook received a master's degree from Mercer while an assistant women's basketball coach.

Jill Bodensteiner - Senior Associate Athletics Director at the University of Notre Dame,2016-17 DI Women’s Basketball Championship Sport Committee

:D:D:D

Reactions: lawcalcock
If UCONN is willing to play any team anywhere, why doesn't the NCAA ship them off to California for regional play? They need to shake up their monopoly. They sure don't have problems shipping our women off.

Because they don't have to. They've earned that seed and that respect.
They don't have to go out of their way to accommodate anyone else.
If we want to change that, it's real easy, we just need to beat them.

The ladies have earned a #1 seed for about 4 years and have been shipped off and you are saying that UCONN is too good to get the same treatment. They don't mind sticking it to other teams!

Last edited:
When we win 100 games in a row and so many national championships, we can name our venue as well. An incredible run by UConn women.

If they use their success to exert some kind of leverage, which is an unproven accusation, then what of it? Who is better qualified, and who is to say we wouldn't do it if we could ever get that kind of leverage - if it even exists?

Reactions: atl-cock
The men's team was catching shit from Duke/ACC fans and the media for having damn near a home game first round in Greenville.
However Duke /ACC plays 1st or 2nd round in Greensboro or Charlotte every year. No mention from the media or anyone else about the home crowd but I've noticed it for 25 years.
Now we're are supposed to turn a blind eye to the fact UCONN played the 1st and 2nd rounds at home even though as you say "pre-determined" . They have been to the Final Four I think 10 years straight, but yea pre-determined wink wink

Reactions: 67gamecock
The men's team was catching shit from Duke/ACC fans and the media for having damn near a home game first round in Greenville.
However Duke /ACC plays 1st or 2nd round in Greensboro or Charlotte every year. No mention from the media or anyone else about the home crowd but I've noticed it for 25 years.
Now we're are supposed to turn a blind eye to the fact UCONN played the 1st and 2nd rounds at home even though as you say "pre-determined" . They have been to the Final Four I think 10 years straight, but yea pre-determined wink wink
The regional finals were not held in Gampel Pavillion. That, technically, is the difference.

Reactions: UconNell
Where is Bridgeport in comparison to UCONN campus vs 100 miles from Greenville to Columbia or Columbia to Stockton or Durham,NC to Greensboro or Charlotte?

Where is Bridgeport in comparison to UCONN campus vs 100 miles from Greenville to Columbia or Columbia to Stockton or Durham,NC to Greensboro or Charlotte?
Or Memorial Coliseum to Rupp arena?

If Bridgeport is smart enough to bid for a regional final, then again, why not Greenville, Charlotte, or Atlanta?

The point you're missing is that we're talking about the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight, games, not the first two rounds. The women's first two rounds on often played at on-campus sites. The attendance problem comes with the regional semifinals and finals on neutral sites. Women's coaches don't want to play on somebody's home court, and that's understandable.
Here's the problem that nobody at the NCAA at any level will dare admit: Few people want to see women's basketball unless it's their home team. And even at successful schools, fans won't travel to see the women like they do to see the men. You think Carolina fans would have taken over Madison Square Garden in the same numbers if the men were in Stockton and the women were in New York? I don't.
So, do you try to set up the regionals in ways likely to give the high seeds a crowd advantage? Or, do you create neutral sites and have games that few live bodies show up to see? Unless women's hoops gets a lot more popular, those are your choices.

So, do you try to set up the regionals in ways likely to give the high seeds a crowd advantage? Or, do you create neutral sites and have games that few live bodies show up to see? Unless women's hoops gets a lot more popular, those are your choices.

I think the best they can do now is what UCONN is doing. A neutral site "close to home". Perhaps a regional final could have been held in Louisville instead of Lexington.

I think if I had the time and $$$, I would go to Dallas (instead of Phoenix). Would probably enjoy seeing the games more:cool:

I saw the article where they had some of the lowest attendance in the other 3 regionals beside Connecticut. What a surprise? No common sense.

The point you're missing is that we're talking about the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight, games, not the first two rounds. The women's first two rounds on often played at on-campus sites. The attendance problem comes with the regional semifinals and finals on neutral sites. Women's coaches don't want to play on somebody's home court, and that's understandable.
Here's the problem that nobody at the NCAA at any level will dare admit: Few people want to see women's basketball unless it's their home team. And even at successful schools, fans won't travel to see the women like they do to see the men. You think Carolina fans would have taken over Madison Square Garden in the same numbers if the men were in Stockton and the women were in New York? I don't.
Bingo!

There is no conspiracy. It sucks USC got sent to Stockton, but there was a legitimate reason.

The regional sites were all predetermined. UConn got Bridgeport because they were the #1 overall seed, so they would get to go wherever the closest regional was if it was within driving distance. Bridgeport was, so they got it.

Notre Dame got the 2nd choice because they were the #2 seed. South Bend is within driving distance of Lexington, so they got put in Lexington.

USC was the third overall seed, but OKC and Stockton were the only places left. Since Baylor was going to be the fourth overall seed, the NCAA could either send us to OKC and Baylor to Stockton (and have neither team be within driving distance of their regional) or send us to Stockton and Baylor to OKC (and have Baylor within driving distance of their regional). It doesn't make any difference putting us in OKC vs Stockton because our fans were going to have to fly there anyway.

The only way you can say USC should have been in Lexington is if you want to say we should have gotten a better overall seed than Notre Dame. Entering the tournament, they were 30-3 and we were 27-4, so I think it's hard to make the argument we were head and shoulders better than them.

Notre Dame got the 2nd choice because they were the #2 seed. South Bend is within driving distance of Lexington, so they got put in Lexington.

I may be wrong but if memory serves me correctly we were the #2 overall seed last year and got shipped to Sioux Falls while ND as the #3 overall seed got Lexington.

If my memory is incorrect and we were the #3 overall last year also then we really have no complaints. Want a better location then move up in the pecking order. However if I'm right about last year then it seems ND may be getting some preferential treatment.

The logic of the NCAA is no logic. I think they need a West, Midwest, East and a South regional. If you are trying for attendance and money, you don't continually ship the highest attendance school off to no fan land.

The solution is to have the women's and men's tourneys run concurrently at the same locations mixing men's and women's games. That may present some logistical problems, but I think they could be overcome. The women would get more exposure, and be seen by more fans in the seats. I know the women want equal billing, but they simply do not generate the same buzz or money as the men. It's just a fact.

The solution is to have the women's and men's tourneys run concurrently at the same locations mixing men's and women's games. That may present some logistical problems, but I think they could be overcome. The women would get more exposure, and be seen by more fans in the seats. I know the women want equal billing, but they simply do not generate the same buzz or money as the men. It's just a fact.
I thought of that several days ago, but for the final four.

I thought of that several days ago, but for the final four.

Yes. I agree. They could start with just the final 4, but their final 4 has reasonable attendance. Doesn't it? It's the early (first 2 weekends) that they play before 500 people. But yes, start with the final 4. Can you imagine the buzz and publicity USC would be getting right now with both our men's and women's teams in Phoenix getting ready to play this weekend?

Reactions: atl-cock

Sounds suspicious...

I think reading all those right wing websites has you predisposed to thinking everything is a conspiracy theory. Might be time to back away for a bit and gain some perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT