ADVERTISEMENT

What game (any sport) were you sure SC was going to lose- but we won!

ken in sacramento

Jan 16, 2000
Football Mizzu double OT
Baseball v UVA 2011. Bases loaded twice against us in extra innings and got out of it
Baseball 2010 v Oklahoma. Jackie down to our last strike- I contend this is when the curse died
Football v Alabama in the Holtz days (did we really win LOL?)
Baseball 2011 v Florida. Again bases loaded- no outs- Wingo goes off!

UF in basketball to get to the final four this year! After the way they beat us the last time we played, with so much on the line... it just didn't seem realistic to expect a W....

I felt about the same about the Duke game!

I believe it was the 1984 season, the week after the devastating upset loss to Navy. Clempson had us 21-15 very late in the 4th qtr. we had a 4th and long in our own territory, and Mike Hold hit a long pass for a 1st down, and after that it only took 3-4 plays to move it down to the goal line, even though our offense had not done much all day. Hold sneaked it barely across the goal line to tie the game. Then we missed the extra point wide, but a miracle happened, and we actually caught a break. Clempson was called for off sides, if you can believe that, and we got another try for the extra point. This time it was good, and we held on for a 22-21 victory .... AT DEATH VALLEY IN CLEMPSON, SC!!!

Please correct me if I have any details incorrect in my memory of how the end of the game unfolded.

I believe it was the 1984 season, the week after the devastating upset loss to Navy. Clempson had us 21-15 very late in the 4th qtr. we had a 4th and long in our own territory, and Mike Hold hit a long pass for a 1st down, and after that it only took 3-4 plays to move it down to the goal line, even though our offense had not done much all day. Hold sneaked it barely across the goal line to tie the game. Then we missed the extra point wide, but a miracle happened, and we actually caught a break. Clempson was called for off sides, if you can believe that, and we got another try for the extra point. This time it was good, and we held on for a 22-21 victory .... AT DEATH VALLEY IN CLEMPSON, SC!!!

Please correct me if I have any details incorrect in my memory of how the end of the game unfolded.
I was there. I think you have it all correct. Only Joe Morrison had the guts to run a trap play on William Perry. That was one of the touchdowns, I think Quentin Lewis ran it in.

As I remember, the kicker "missed" the first extra point try because he heard the offside whistle and quit on the follow through on the kick. Had it not been for the offside and the whistle, the kicker would have made the first kick.

Reactions: FORKCOCK

It was too many on the field. The extra Tater ran out of the back of the end zone. The whistle blew before the missed kick

Reactions: Lakecock1
I was there. I think you have it all correct. Only Joe Morrison had the guts to run a trap play on William Perry. That was one of the touchdowns, I think Quentin Lewis ran it in.

Yep, and that was a 4th down and goal from the 6 -7 yard line if I recall! I could not believe we got the offsides call on the extra point try that was missed, and was given another chance to win the game! That kind of crap just never happens to us against Clempson ... especially AT CLEMPSON!

That was also the 1st defeat Clempson ever suffered in those pukey orange pants. They 1st wore those against us in the 1980 game at Clemson. They warmed up in the traditional orange jerseys and white pants. Then before heading to the hill, Ford broke out the orange pants that got the Clempson players snd fans all worked up. It worked for them too, as they upset a better, more talented Gamecock team that day. They went on to win a number of big games wearing those orange pants for the occasion, and all we heard was how they were undefeated (and undefeatable) in all orange, but after the stunning Gamecock come-from-behind win in 1984, we've never heard another word about those "mystical" orange pants.

It was too many on the field. The extra Tater ran out of the back of the end zone. The whistle blew before the missed kick

Ok, thanks. I don't remember ever knowing for sure. I watched on TV, and the announcers called it offsides initially, and that just stuck with me. Thanks for clarifying.

Yep, and that was a 4th down and goal from the 6 -7 yard line if I recall! I could not believe we got the offsides call on the extra point try that was missed, and was given another chance to win the game! That kind of crap just never happens to us against Clempson ... especially AT CLEMPSON!

That was also the 1st defeat Clempson ever suffered in those pukey orange pants. They 1st wore those against us in the 1980 game at Clemson. They warmed up in the traditional orange jerseys and white pants. Then before heading to the hill, Ford broke out the orange pants that got the Clempson players snd fans all worked up. It worked for them too, as they upset a better, more talented Gamecock team that day. They went on to win a number of big games wearing those orange pants for the occasion, and all we heard was how they were undefeated (and undefeatable) in all orange, but after the stunning Gamecock come-from-behind win in 1984, we've never heard another word about those "mystical" orange pants.
The trap came after a made FG with a penalty - took 3 off the board. Maybe that penalty was offsides but the one at the end was 12 on the field.

Not playing for the national championship that year because we lost to Navy will remain historically tragic until the day we actually play for it.

Why all caps when referring to Dung Valley? Don't give those obnoxious people anything.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
The 2010 game vs Bama and the '96 game vs quempsum in Dung Valley. Deuce came up big in that contest. quempsum took the opening kickoff and marched it down field and scored. I told my wife to get ready to leave early. But, we got a good lead on them in the 2nd half and should have sailed to an easy victory but the taters came back to make it a very close game. The taters got a call that helped them keep a drive alive which they clearly should not have gotten. We held on to win, A1 was the QB for the Gamecocks.

Another game that would come under this title would have been the UT game we won at WB to mark the first time we beat UT. I believe it was in '92.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Why all caps when referring to Dung Valley? Don't give those obnoxious people anything.

Just emphasizing that we caught a break, and officials actually called a penalty to Clempson's detriment at Clempson. That just doesn't happen.

Not playing for the national championship that year because we lost to Navy will remain historically tragic until the day we actually play for it.

Agree. Still hurts to think about. I don't recall who we would have actually played had we taken care of business w/Navy and Clemson. Seems like it would have been the Orange Bowl. Who was it?

I was sitting on The Hill right behind The Fridge. He put his hand on his back and motioned for the MLB to move over. He knew we were coming right at him.

There was a game at Va Tech during the Sparky years that we were behind by 20, looked awful on the road per usual and somehow came storming back to win. We had a guy named Mike Dingle who had a big day.

But the game that sticks out is the one at Florida in 2014 that got Muschamp fired. We looked dead against a good D but blocked a FG attempt and a punt and somehow won in OT.

It was a long 3rd down pass from Hold to Wade. Clemson was not offsides on the TD - it was too many men on the field as their 12th man ran off on the wrong side of the field.

Will remain historically tragic even if we win several one day. That was a crazy opportunity we let slip by.

Agree. Still hurts to think about. I don't recall who we would have actually played had we taken care of business w/Navy and Clemson. Seems like it would have been the Orange Bowl. Who was it?

Oklahoma.

1978 Ole Miss.....We trailed 17-10 and we're backed up on our own 20 with less than 20 seconds to play and Garry Harper hit Horace Smith for an 80 yard TD and then found Smith again for the 2 point conversion giving us an 18-17 victory

Reactions: gamecock disciple
Will remain historically tragic even if we win several one day. That was a crazy opportunity we let slip by.

Oklahoma.

Yep. And what made it even worse, Washington beat Oklahoma allowing Brigham Young, I believe, to win the Championship by beating Michigan in the Holiday Bowl.

@ Florida in 2014. Special teams stole that game
Yeah, I switched over to another game on ESPN assuming we'd lost and only found out we won when they interrupted to show a replay of Dylan's winning score.

Football Mizzu double OT
Baseball v UVA 2011. Bases loaded twice against us in extra innings and got out of it
Baseball 2010 v Oklahoma. Jackie down to our last strike- I contend this is when the curse died
Football v Alabama in the Holtz days (did we really win LOL?)
Baseball 2011 v Florida. Again bases loaded- no outs- Wingo goes off!

I remember at one point we were only 1 of 2 in the nation who beat #1s in football, baseball, and basketball all in the same season (2010): Bammer, Floriday, and Kensucky

Games that I didn't think we'd win DURING the game-

2006 Clemson- Coming out of the half they jump up 28-14 and it had the feel of one that was going to slip away.
2013 Mizzou- No comment needed
2014 Florida- Truly a miracle win.

Games that I didn't think we'd win BEFORE the game-

2009 Clemson
2010 Alabama
2014 Georgia

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT