ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to South Carolina football?

Narrator in video talks too fast. Must be from New Yuk City.
Tanner could have hired a winner. He wouldn't even outbid Houston for the GC fan favorite. He could have hired Lincoln. Instead he hires a coach who couldn't even win at Fla but he expected him to win at USC???

Not looking forward to this season. I do hope new OC can instill some life into a lifeless offense and Will needs to take over defensive play calling and demote current DC. Most of Will's hires have been failures. Will seems intelligent and is a smooth talker but well, he's a loser.

Sometimes I wonder if Spurrier really WANTED to retire or if he was worried about being here longer than he was at UF. He did NOT want this to be his legacy.

Reactions: The Cool Cock
I wonder? Who would be the best AD's today?

I wished we had Dan Radakovich, he worked under Mike McGee and I always though he would replace Mike McGee...

I agree. Radakovich would have been a good one. Maybe there is a good Assistant AD out there with several years experience that we could get. Tanner has put us in a difficult situation.

Connor Shaw Graduated,
to make matters worse Skai Moore went & did the same dang thing, then Kinlaw for heavens sake. This has to stop since we only recruit about 3 or 4 real contributors (aka DUDES) per year.

If you would like to argue this number is higher than 4, feel free but I will have to insist you stop just shy of 7 for perspective sake anything above that and we will know its not a real argument.

Let me sum it up:
Spurrier wanted to retire, Tanner begged him to stay. Spurrier gave up because he didn't have the drive anymore. He quit!

Tanner hired a failure (as head coach) as his successor.

Boom. Here we are!

That's certainly part of it, but preceding all of that, Spurrier started mailing it in. The program was rotting from the inside out and nobody knew it.

Reactions: USC75Grad
Let me sum it up:
Spurrier wanted to retire, Tanner begged him to stay. Spurrier gave up because he didn't have the drive anymore. He quit!

Tanner hired a failure (as head coach) as his successor.

Boom. Here we are!
Lou was begged to stay another year as well and the wheels came off. But at least that led to the hiring of a good coach.

Watched a bit of it. Dadgum, things went south.

Perry Orth, God bless him. He stepped up when his number was called. But it's stunning that in the span of 2 seasons we went from Connor Shaw to Perry Orth.

That's certainly part of it, but preceding all of that, Spurrier started mailing it in. The program was rotting from the inside out and nobody knew it.
I think a lot of people knew it. It’s why people complained about the hiring of Whammy as a DC, moving Junior to recruiting coordinator and then hiring Deke Adams and Kirk Botkin. At that point it was still “Spurrier knows what he’s doing” when it was obvious he was just phoning it in.

How did our administration get conned into hiring a proven failure (at Florida) as Head Coach? Did someone have compromising photos on our hiring authorities? Was money passed under the table? Did anyone else read the Gator boards after we made the hire? One could read the laughter through the monitor.The rest is history.

I think a lot of people knew it. It’s why people complained about the hiring of Whammy as a DC, moving Junior to recruiting coordinator and then hiring Deke Adams and Kirk Botkin. At that point it was still “Spurrier knows what he’s doing” when it was obvious he was just phoning it in.
That's true. I think once Clowney, Lattimore, etc left, Spurrier knew that his best chance to win the SEC here was gone. So yes, I think he went through the motions at the end. Lou and Steve stayed a little longer than they themselves wanted.I'm glad we had them when we did. But, why our ADs didn't let them leave when they wanted is beyond me.

For the people that say we should have hired Lincoln Riley in 2015, Willie Taggart was also considered a good candidate. It wasn't money that was going to convince Herman to come here. He knew if he was patient, he'd hit it big somewhere else.

I blame Spurrier. Recruiting on his watch was not always stellar. That 2016 team was not very talented. Muschamp has done a good job recruiting in my opinion, but he has been able to sell the idea that we're always improving. This last season has put doubts in everyone's minds.

Honestly say anything you want about Spurrier , he was and always will be the greatest thing that ever happen to USC period . This program will NEVER again be what it was under Spurrier . There are a few misconceptions... those who say Spurrier quit recruiting . Look at Spurriers recruiting classes even at the end compared to Muschamps . They’re nearly identical. All those who say Muschamp is a better talent evaluator are just plain wrong , He has just as many busts in his classes as Spurrier did at the end . If I could point to one glaring mistake that doomed Spurrier and essentially this program it was hiring Whammy . We could have had any DC in the country and we got lazy and made the easy hire . The 2014 team with Dylan at QB put up record breaking offensive numbers . Offensively Spurrier was at the top of his game that year . If we have any semblance of a defense that team wins 10 games and Spurrier rides off into the Sunset and we can pick any coach we want to move forward . Instead Whammy is a bumbling idiot and our defense deep sixes the entire season . Whammy was the reason for it falling apart and since Spurrier made that decision to promote him it lies with him as he later admitted . To me that’s it in a nutshell .

Reactions: pettyw
Honestly say anything you want about Spurrier , he was and always will be the greatest thing that ever happen to USC period . This program will NEVER again be what it was under Spurrier . There are a few misconceptions... those who say Spurrier quit recruiting . Look at Spurriers recruiting classes even at the end compared to Muschamps . They’re nearly identical. All those who say Muschamp is a better talent evaluator are just plain wrong , He has just as many busts in his classes as Spurrier did at the end . If I could point to one glaring mistake that doomed Spurrier and essentially this program it was hiring Whammy . We could have had any DC in the country and we got lazy and made the easy hire . The 2014 team with Dylan at QB put up record breaking offensive numbers . Offensively Spurrier was at the top of his game that year . If we have any semblance of a defense that team wins 10 games and Spurrier rides off into the Sunset and we can pick any coach we want to move forward . Instead Whammy is a bumbling idiot and our defense deep sixes the entire season . Whammy was the reason for it falling apart and since Spurrier made that decision to promote him it lies with him as he later admitted . To me that’s it in a nutshell .
At the risk of sounding like I’m defending Whammy (which I wouldn’t want to do) at least two of the losses in 2014 were on Spurrier. We had multiple games with late leads that he came out and called 3 straight pass plays which all resulted in 3 and out and turning the ball over to field position and no time off the clock. I don’t think he changed from what he did the years prior but Shaw could turn that into a first down by not feeling forced to throw the ball and Thompson didn’t have that same ability to make things happen. That decision could also have been a result of having a RB that wouldn’t stay in the game but regardless the offense blew some games in 2014 themselves.

I think Whammy was promoted to keep him. He wanted to keep him because he felt that Whammy was among the best recruiters on staff. Similarly, Muschamp promoted BMac for the same reason and keeps TRob for the same reason. When first hired, Muschamp said if you can't recruit, you can't coach for me. Muschamp hired a bunch of recruiters regardless of their coaching abilities. Does anyone think we have been a well-coached team during the past 4 seasons? Hopefully, the hires made since this past season, have coaching chops.

At the risk of sounding like I’m defending Whammy (which I wouldn’t want to do) at least two of the losses in 2014 were on Spurrier. We had multiple games with late leads that he came out and called 3 straight pass plays which all resulted in 3 and out and turning the ball over to field position and no time off the clock. I don’t think he changed from what he did the years prior but Shaw could turn that into a first down by not feeling forced to throw the ball and Thompson didn’t have that same ability to make things happen. That decision could also have been a result of having a RB that wouldn’t stay in the game but regardless the offense blew some games in 2014 themselves.

I agree - Spurrier was good for one or two head scratchers a year, which may have been born out of having too much confidence in his players. But then of course you get the 2014 Auburn game which was just masterful, and the D gives up 40+

There are a few misconceptions... those who say Spurrier quit recruiting .
Did Steve ever recruit?
The downfall that started in '14 started several years earlier when someone started recruiting slow guys on defense. Who did this, I don't know. You cannot win SEC games with slow guys on defense.
And we also struck out on QBs after Shaw/Thompson....which is still baffling.
....at least two of the losses in 2014 were on Spurrier. We had multiple games with late leads that he came out and called 3 straight pass plays ...
Yup....Steve had a lot of things backfire on him. He also did this v. UTen one year....got fancy and should have stayed conservative.

Did Steve ever recruit?
The downfall that started in '14 started several years earlier when someone started recruiting slow guys on defense. Who did this, I don't know. You cannot win SEC games with slow guys on defense.
And we also struck out on QBs after Shaw/Thompson....which is still baffling.
Yup....Steve had a lot of things backfire on him. He also did this v. UTen one year....got fancy and should have stayed conservative.

Yet he won more bowl games in his tenure here than the previous CENTURY of god awful Carolina Football . Let’s face it , the only relevant time in this programs history was when the Ole Ball Coach was on the sidelines . Muschamp will NEVER win ten games here or anywhere else for that matter .

Muschamp's best efforts were with Spurrier scraps.

With regard to any "pipeline" discussion....4-8 in Year 4.

2016 Inherited Scraps from "Trainwreck"

Deebo Samuel (RS Soph)

Bryson Allen-Williams (Junior)

Jamarcus King (Junior)

Marquavius Lewis (Senior)

Skai Moore (Senior)

TJ Hollman (Senior)

Rashad Fenton (Soph)

Chaz Elder (Senior)

Steven Montac (Soph)

Darius Paulk (Senior)

Allan Knott (Junior)

Donell Stanley (Soph)

Zack Bailey (Soph)

Hayden Hurst (Soph)

and more:
https://gamecocksonline.com/sports/football/roster/2016

Yet he won more bowl games in his tenure here than the previous CENTURY of god awful Carolina Football . Let’s face it , the only relevant time in this programs history was when the Ole Ball Coach was on the sidelines . Muschamp will NEVER win ten games here or anywhere else for that matter .
It's the HBC, not OBC....and Gamecock football was relevant when Big George was pounding the rock, Coach Joe rocking W-B in the mid-'80s, & Lou beating OSU back to back.
Not sure you remember all that....

Reactions: jerryusc
It's the HBC, not OBC....and Gamecock football was relevant when Big George was pounding the rock, Coach Joe rocking W-B in the mid-'80s, & Lou beating OSU back to back.
Not sure you remember all that....

Oh I remember all of it . Problem is none of it really made us relevant. Yes Lou beat OSU back to back ... we just barely cracked the top 20 those years and had absolutely no chance of competing for the east . So Coach Joe was rocking W-B ??? How many bowl wins and top ten finishes did that add up to ?? How many bowl games and top 20 finishes did we have with Big George ?? The sad thing is those are the shining moments we pointed to In our history before the HBC . So our competitors were sporting National title trophy’s and were are bragging about a heisman (an individual award) and a few mid level bowl wins over an OSU program in total rebuild ... No , we were not relevant until Spurrier . Yes Lou definitely laid the ground work and deserves tons of credit but it was still Spurrier and only Spurrier that made us a national commodity for a least a little while .

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Oh I remember all of it . Problem is none of it really made us relevant. Yes Lou beat OSU back to back ... we just barely cracked the top 20 those years and had absolutely no chance of competing for the east . So Coach Joe was rocking W-B ??? How many bowl wins and top ten finishes did that add up to ?? How many bowl games and top 20 finishes did we have with Big George ?? The sad thing is those are the shining moments we pointed to In our history before the HBC . So our competitors were sporting National title trophy’s and were are bragging about a heisman (an individual award) and a few mid level bowl wins over an OSU program in total rebuild ... No , we were not relevant until Spurrier . Yes Lou definitely laid the ground work and deserves tons of credit but it was still Spurrier and only Spurrier that made us a national commodity for a least a little while .
You win....go enjoy a beer....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT