ADVERTISEMENT

what has to happen next week...

usc4ever15

Oct 29, 2007
Gaffney
To get us into a post season tourney? At this point Ncaa would mean we win conference NIT probably isn't gonna happen. What about the CBI? What kind of record would be needed for that? I know there isn't much care for that tourney but a few more games for this group wouldn't hurt! Man I want that Arkansas game back from last week
Posted from Rivals Mobile

i thought there were teams that made it into the NIT with a losing record

We're 15-15, so I think we just need to go 1-1 or 2-1 in the SEC to go to the NIT and 5-0 for NCAA...
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I missed by 3 or 4 games thinking we can win 18 or 19 games this year, but I'll take 15-15... This is improvement from lat year and the last 6 years...

Martin is getting it done and if we go 1-1 in the SEC and NIT, that's a big step!

This post was edited on 3/8 8:25 AM by world famous 3rd base hecklers

Originally posted by world famous 3rd base hecklers:

Originally posted by usc4ever15:
.500 doesn't get us in Nit here lately that takes about 18 wins minimum
We shall see... I think you're wrong on this one... Wins over OK State and Iowa St should help us...
Good link- thx....unless I missed it, I didnt see any .500 teams in last year's field. Looks like we need to win a few more based on 2014 participants for NIT.

All teams with a .500 and above record qualify for the CBI and CIT (they won't take teams with a losing regular season record). There is something like a $30K buy-in for those tourneys, but can be worth it if the team takes the practice/experience seriously.

Nice link world. The worst record to make NIT last year was 17-15... so that would mean for us to make NIT we would need to go 3-1 in conference tourney

I would say at least 3-1, but probably 4-1. Already there are regular-season conference champions taking auto bids in the NIT (and you get the auto bid if you are co-champs also). Charleston Southern is in the NIT already (they were co-champs and just lost in the tournament). Murray State will get an auto bid (they just dropped its conference championship game and with an RPI in the 70's, the NCAA isn't happening).

The Colonial had a 4-way tie for first (4 co-champs), so I don't know how they handle that with the NIT auto bids (but at least one should get one).

After the auto bids, there are a lot of teams that have much better records and better RPI (USC is sitting around 95), so USC will need to be at least two games over, three games over would seal it.

The CIT and CBI are the tourneys that just take teams they think they can make money off of, and USC would probably fit that bill.

Ummmmm Murray state is getting an at large to the NCAA...their loss yesterday didn't hurt them. they are ranked #25. if anything...that hurts a ncaa bubble team. Not an NIT bubble team

Originally posted by KoSimpson101:
Ummmmm Murray state is getting an at large to the NCAA...their loss yesterday didn't hurt them. they are ranked #25. if anything...that hurts a ncaa bubble team. Not an NIT bubble team
Ummm, no. The OVC is not getting 2 bids. Rankings don't matter in the selection process, and even if they did, Murray State won't be in the top 25 anymore.

They have a 70 RPI and only one (1) victory over a top 100 RPI team (against #68, and are 1-2 vs. top 100 teams). They have zero wins against 1-50 in RPI ("quality wins") and they also have a "bad loss" to Houston (258 in RPI). That's what you call an NIT resume.

Oh, and their strength of schedule is 258. 258! Now looking at it, it's a good thing their NIT bid is automatic.

This post was edited on 3/8 1:10 PM by ToddFlanders

Originally posted by ToddFlanders:

Ummm, no. The OVC is not getting 2 bids. Rankings don't matter in the selection process, and even if they did, Murray State won't be in the top 25 anymore.

They have a 70 RPI and only one (1) victory over a top 100 RPI team (against #68, and are 1-2 vs. top 100 teams). They have zero wins against 1-50 in RPI ("quality wins") and they also have a "bad loss" to Houston (258 in RPI). That's what you call an NIT resume.

Oh, and their strength of schedule is 258. 258! Now looking at it, it's a good thing their NIT bid is automatic.

What's our RPI and strength of schedule?

USC has a 95 RPI ranking, but the 27th best strength of schedule. 4 quality wins against the RPI 1-50, but also two bad losses (against #200 and #165). And overall 6-11 vs. the top 100 in RPI.

USC has a 95 RPI ranking, but the 27th best strength of schedule. 4 quality wins against the RPI 1-50, but also two bad losses (against #200 and #165). And overall 6-11 vs. the top 100 in RPI.
Maybe we still get in the NIT... Or let's just win 5 in a row and not worry about the NIT...
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/8 2:52 PM by world famous 3rd base hecklers

I think we need to win 2. We have really good wins against ISU and OSU and 2 against UGA, and I think the NIT will cut us some slack for 4 of our losses being against Kentucky and Arkansas. One of those losses was close at least. We should have had that LSU game too. Also we are two time champions that haven't been in a while and we will actually be EXCITED to be in the NIT.

Notice & Chat turn into Whittenburg & Bailey. :) Just got my tix for Wednesday. Hope it happens!

I'd say we need 17 wins, absolute bare-minimum, to make the NIT, but we really should get 18 to be sure. We'll need to make the semi-finals to make that happen.

On the first day, we play Mizzou. We should steam-roll them, they're pretty bad (not an accident they finished last). I'd give us about an 80% chance of winning that one.

The second day, we'd play Ole Miss. I'd really love to say we'll win this one, but I can't. Ole Miss is probably the worst possible match-up for us outside UK and Arkansas. I'll give us a 25% chance in this one, but no more. If we were playing A&M, Florida, or UT, I'd give us maybe a 40% or 50%, or maybe even make us favorites.

Provided we make it that far, we'd play Georgia in the quarter-finals. We seem to really have their number this year, but it'll be our third game in as many days, while Georgia will be fresh. That being said earlier, we beat them with seven guys, on their own floor. I'll give us a 40% chance of the win, and even that feels like I'm stretching it.

So all together, I'd give us an 8% chance of getting to 18 wins, and a 20% chance of getting to 17. Not good odds, but better than nothing. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT