ADVERTISEMENT

What Holtz left vs What Spurrier left (offense)

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
Here's the 2005 offense: Mitchell, Syvelle, Rice, McKinley, Goddard, Levy, Chris White. All those guys could start for this year's team. Andy Boyd was a nice player as well. I don't remember the guards. Anyone recall?

I should have included Corey Boyd. Forgot about him since he was suspended for the 2005 season. Hell, I would take Daccus Turman right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: lostcock
I should have included Corey Body. Forgot about him since he was suspended for the 2005 season. Hell, I would take Daccus Turman right now.
Yeah, I remember Boyd came back in '06. Summers got kicked off the team in the spring of '05.

Kenny Mckinley was a true freshman in 2005, came in with Carlos Thomas and OJ Murdock, just read that really good ESPN pc from a few years back a few days ago for the first time.

He never played for Holtz

Reactions: Bettybird
Kenny Mckinley was a true freshman in 2005, came in with Carlos Thomas and OJ Murdock, just read that really good ESPN pc from a few years back a few days ago for the first time.

He never played for Holtz

Kenny committed to Holtz's staff, so I consider him a holdover.

If we're going kickers, then add Succop. He also committed to Holtz's staff.

Reactions: Gradstudent

McKinley was recruited as a QB, IIRC. There's something to be said for a new coach holding onto recruits and/or bringing the back into the fold. I wouldn't consider Dowdle, Edwards or any other 2016 signee or recruit as a Spurrier holdover, just as I wouldn't say that McKinley was a Holtz holdover. I mean, they aren't officially a commitment until national signing day ,and a good staff will work them until then. What's next, Coach A "loosened the pickle jar" on that recruit, so he doesn't count even though Coach B kept him in the fold, got him to sign, coached him up at a brand new position and then put him in the position to make plays? How much credit does Coach A deserve?

Bottom line is Muschamp has what he has... He will have to use it the way HE sees best. However, It looks like due to Muschamp's tireless recruiting, help is on the way..
patience.gif

Jarvis may still be playing college football somewhere or have a year of eligibility left

He was last suspended from Florida Tech in Feb 2014 as a red shirt Jr.

Quite a journey

Reactions: jonesz21
Spurrier left better defensive talent, especially on the defensive line.

Hotlz left better QB's Mitchell, Syvelle. There was also Rice, Boyd, and McKinley.

OL's are about the same....weak.

Bottom line is Muschamp has what he has... He will have to use it the way HE sees best. However, It looks like due to Muschamp's tireless recruiting, help is on the way..
patience.gif

last year our recruiting rank was 27. year before was 19. year before that was 17.

Its not like we haven't been recruiting good players. If none of those are good players then why top 20 ranking?

last year our recruiting rank was 27. year before was 19. year before that was 17.

Its not like we haven't been recruiting good players. If none of those are good players then why top 20 ranking?
What is Muschamp ranked right now?? What was MSU ranked last year?? Kentucky?? You cant compare SC recruiting to North Dakota st., you have to compare to the recruiting of you conference teams..

we got to add kickers. he is prolly the only player we got that would start at taterville

Muschamp deserves some time to recruit and rebuild. The defense is improving. But I have to wonder why an sec caliber offensive line is doing so poorly. Is this the coaching we can expect once the talent arrives for other positions? I like Elliott, but he needs to get this train to moving, like yesterday.

What is Muschamp ranked right now?? What was MSU ranked last year?? Kentucky?? You cant compare SC recruiting to North Dakota st., you have to compare to the recruiting of you conference teams..

Likewise, you always want quality over quantity. we have 23 commits and are at 7. The taters have 13 commits and at 10. Which is better? What will they be ranked when they pick up 10 more commits?

Once the top recruits pick there schools and all is said and done id be willing to bet LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, BAma, and Texas A&M finish ahead of us. We will have the 4th best class in the East.

Likewise, you always want quality over quantity. we have 23 commits and are at 7. The taters have 13 commits and at 10. Which is better? What will they be ranked when they pick up 10 more commits?

Once the top recruits pick there schools and all is said and done id be willing to bet LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, BAma, and Texas A&M finish ahead of us. We will have the 4th best class in the East.

Don't think Tennessee has that many scholarships left to give in this upcoming one. So if they aren't up by now they may well not be unless they are waiting on a five star or something.

Don't think Tennessee has that many scholarships left to give in this upcoming one. So if they aren't up by now they may well not be unless they are waiting on a five star or something.

Yeah I have a friend that is a former tennesse player. He says they expect to take 25 and that is where they are now. schools always find a way to sign more some how

Jarvis may still be playing college football somewhere or have a year of eligibility left

He was last suspended from Florida Tech in Feb 2014 as a red shirt Jr.

Quite a journey

OK, I had google that one. I thought you were joking. Guess not.

Wikipedia list his age as 26!

Reactions: Gradstudent

This. Just went back to look at the Rivals recruiting rankings. 2013: 16th, 2014: 17th, 2015: 19th. Spurrier didn't leave behind a stoked team, but this idea that Muschamp will have to recruit his way to better offensive production against sorry defenses like Vandy's, ECU's, and Kentucky's is just ludicrous. If a head coach has a multi-year plan to score more than 10 points on a Kentucky defense that had failed to hold an opponent under 40 points, something's wrong.

Reactions: jonesz21

Well for one all of these players are ranked before they ever touch a collegiate football field. Guys can look great in HS, then hit D1 and be completely ineffective. It just happens, everyone reacts to challenges differently. Even 4 star recruits fold up like Ikea furniture. See Southern Cal's roster, Texas, Michigan, UCLA....I could go on. All of these teams have been strikingly mediocre sometime in the past 10 years with rosters full of four and five star guys. Some just don't pan out.

This. Just went back to look at the Rivals recruiting rankings. 2013: 16th, 2014: 17th, 2015: 19th. Spurrier didn't leave behind a stoked team, but this idea that Muschamp will have to recruit his way to better offensive production against sorry defenses like Vandy's, ECU's, and Kentucky's is just ludicrous. If a head coach has a multi-year plan to score more than 10 points on a Kentucky defense that had failed to hold an opponent under 40 points, something's wrong.
Did that ranking include the non qualifiers? We had quite a few the last 2-3 years who were highly ranked but didn't make it in...we were reaching for low hanging fruit.

See Southern Cal's roster, Texas, Michigan, UCLA....I could go on. All of these teams have been strikingly mediocre sometime in the past 10 years with rosters full of four and five star guys. Some just don't pan out.

I'd love for the Gamecocks to be strikingly mediocre this year. We got beat by a team that dreams of being strikingly mediocre.

Did that ranking include the non qualifiers? We had quite a few the last 2-3 years who were highly ranked but didn't make it in...we were reaching for low hanging fruit.
I have no idea who it did or didn't include. How many non qualifiers would you have to have to drop from a top-20 class to about 100th? If things don't improve we are on our way to experiencing some of most embarrassing losses in Gamecock history over the next 8 games and that can't be explained away by non-qualifiers.

Well for one all of these players are ranked before they ever touch a collegiate football field. Guys can look great in HS, then hit D1 and be completely ineffective. It just happens, everyone reacts to challenges differently. Even 4 star recruits fold up like Ikea furniture. See Southern Cal's roster, Texas, Michigan, UCLA....I could go on. All of these teams have been strikingly mediocre sometime in the past 10 years with rosters full of four and five star guys. Some just don't pan out.
So we maybe screwed with this years class too?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT