ADVERTISEMENT

What in the hell is going on at University of South Carolina!

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
This is the worst I've seen the University of South Carolina ever!

A President who doesn't know who he is President of..

BOT that has been MIA..

An AD who is managing the decline of the athletic program...

Turning away out biggest donor in Darla Moore...

It's time for a new President and I want Darla Moore as our next President of the University of South Carolina or the head of BOT... We need to make changes and need to make changes NOW!!!

606e13e15ead2.image.jpg

Not a bad idea, not sure it could get much worse from an Athletic department point of view. The University of Southern Califo................................ oops i meant South Carolina is struggling in every "Men's" athletic program. I cant believe the Flagship program, men's baseball, has fallen so far so fast.

• Love
Reactions: LakewoodCock
I agree with the leadership aspect. We are a ship without a rudder. Just several mismanaged situations besides athletics.

The UoSC debacle. I was working the USC-Clemson baseball game last night and the scoreboard prior to the game had us listed as UoSC. I thought to myself we did this to ourselves.

The Darla Moore situation is just so unprofessional and uncaring!

Caslen is just an absolute bad hire. Our school means absolutely nothing to him.

Honestly, I am more concerned about the overall leadership at the school than just the athletics. I like the Beamer hire because I think the school means something to him.

I agree with the leadership aspect. We are a ship without a rudder. Just several mismanaged situations besides athletics.

The UoSC debacle. I was working the USC-Clemson baseball game last night and the scoreboard prior to the game had us listed as UoSC. I thought to myself we did this to ourselves.

Caslen is just an absolute bad hire. Our school means absolutely nothing to him.

Honestly, I am more concerned about the overall leadership at the school than just the athletics. I like the Beamer hire because I think the school means something to him.
I agree, my daughter is a freshman and i am considering talking with her about other options..

I can't believe anyone on Caslen's staff let him go out there in an intoxicated state. Or maybe he has a staff that is fed up with him and let him go out there and show the graduates and families the Emperor's New Clothes. He can swear up and down that he did not have anything to drink before the ceremony, but the appearance of being intoxicated is just as bad as being intoxicated. I don't for one minute buy the excuse that Caslen is a poor public speaker. You do not rise to the rank of general officer without having strong communications skills, either as a troop commander who addresses staff and soldiers on a daily basis, or as a staff officer skilled in briefing superiors.

Caslen should be fired for cause and the BOT should issue a strong condemnatory statement. I am an alumnus of The Graduate School, and I urge the BOT to end the embarrassment.

I think the Beamer hire was a fluke, enough former players had a hand in this hire and I believe this will turn out to be one of the best hires that Tanner resisted from the start. Dawn Staley is in a class by herself and I agree that she shouldn't be lumped in under the failures of our leadership...

BOT that has been MIA..

It's time for a new President and I want Darla Moore as our next President of the University of South Carolina or the head of BOT... We need to make changes and need to make changes NOW!!!

606e13e15ead2.image.jpg

I dont know why people keep saying this. Darla Moore does not nor has she ever wanted to be President of the university. Now reforming the BOT selection process and putting her back on the board would be a good move. If she is willing......and that is a big IF.

It is common knowledge around the staff at the school that those that work around Caslen every day think he is socially awkward and in way over his head. He is the butt of jokes all over campus......even before these latest screwups.

I agree, my daughter is a freshman and i am considering talking with her about other options..
Ultimately, that transaction, played out thousands of times, is the most certain way to bring about change, whether it's declining enrollment or empty seats in a stadium. It's a business. As long as the business has no trouble selling the product, why would they change?

If my daughter wasn’t a rising Senior I would consider doing same
My kids are coming through and I will certainly push them away from USC. We owned a condo right down the street from the university where we expected our kids to live while at USC. We sold it two weeks back (sold it in less than 4 hours - no inspection, cash, closed in 25 days).

I dont know why people keep saying this. Darla Moore does not nor has she ever wanted to be President of the university. Now reforming the BOT selection process and putting her back on the board would be a good move. If she is willing......and that is a big IF.

It is common knowledge around the staff at the school that those that work around Caslen every day think he is socially awkward and in way over his head. He is the butt of jokes all over campus......even before these latest screwups.
Absolutely correct. Moore also doesn't meet the requirements to be a University President...and knows that. Joan Gabel is who we should have hired.

Moore definitely should be on the BOT...which needs to be reorganized completely.

Do you not think they can still get a quality education there? That would be my first concern since Caslen is a flash in the pan but the education is forever.
I think so on the education question but there are better options out there. I am concerned about their overall college experience, including safety.

I am as anti Clemson as the next guy on this board when it comes to sports but I would send my kids there in a heartbeat for the education / environment (assuming they wanted to go).

I think so on the education question but there are better options out there. I am concerned about their overall college experience, including safety.

I am as anti Clemson as the next guy on this board when it comes to sports but I would send my kids there in a heartbeat for the education / environment (assuming they wanted to go).
My eldest daughter went to Davidson. My youngest daughter is in her second year at Miami of Ohio. For them, I actually preferred both those schools and was very happy with their choices.

Between the problems in Five Points and with the City of Columbia, coupled with the top to bottom of ineptitude at the University, I'm leaning against my son going there.

Clemson is definitely on the table now - something that I would have thought unthinkable two years ago. Fortunately, he cares nothing about college football, so if that's where he chooses to go, I won't have to hear about it.

Reactions: viennacocks
My eldest daughter went to Davidson. My youngest daughter is in her second year at Miami of Ohio. For them, I actually preferred both those schools and was very happy with their choices.
I did my undergraduate at a MAC school! Can't beat Davidson for the education and location.

Reactions: rogue cock
I fell in love with Miami and the town of Oxford the moment I saw it. The administration was great for the parents and the prospective students.
Almost all of the MAC schools are nice small towns. Oxford and Athens are both nice college towns. Halloween in Athens is unreal. I went to Kent State.

Reactions: rogue cock
she is 18, she decides, I only discuss with her, and help her with her options!!
Yes, sir. I do understand that. I was being sort of facetious. My dad was a UNC alum and he was pissed as hell that I chose SOUTH Carolina. He just knew I'd chosen poorly. But I've never regretted my decision. Nor my opportunity to be free of my parents' influence. But, times were different back in those days.

Almost all of the MAC schools are nice small towns. Oxford and Athens are both nice college towns. Halloween in Athens is unreal. I went to Kent State.
I've been to Athens. Had a classmate from there and went to OU....you are right, great town. I went to TOSU for my MBA and Dayton for law school, so got to travel through a lot of Ohio. It is amazing how rural it really is. Loved Amish country.

Last edited:
Yes, sir. I do understand that. I was being sort of facetious. My dad was a UNC alum and he was pissed as hell that I chose SOUTH Carolina. He just knew I'd chosen poorly. But I've never regretted my decision. Nor my opportunity to be free of my parents' influence. But, times were different back in those days.
My parents were pushing me in their direction. Fortunately, I received a basketball scholarship in Texas so chose to move as far away as possible. I showed them. Two years later I transferred to the school in which they originally pushed me. West Texas is it's own country. Culture shock for sure.

I've been to Athens. Had a classmate is was from there and went to OU....you are right, great town. I went to TOSU for my MBA and Dayton for law school, so got to travel through a lot of Ohio. It is amazing how rural it really is. Loved Amish country.
Yes, Amish country is certainly an eye opener. I have spent a good bit of time in Dayton (one if my customers is there).

I am from Yompton (Youngstown). Rough, hard nosed town. Tons of great coaches have come from that area.

BOT that has been MIA..

606e13e15ead2.image.jpg

Absolutely!! 100% agree with you!!

Not a bad idea, not sure it could get much worse from an Athletic department point of view. The University of Southern Califo................................ oops i meant South Carolina is struggling in every "Men's" athletic program. I cant believe the Flagship program, men's baseball, has fallen so far so fast.

Last time I checked, our baseball program is going back to the NCAA Tournament, beat Clemson 2 out of 3, and is #12 in RPI
Men's basketball sucked much worse under Hyman
Football has sucked with the exception of 4 years under Steve Spurrier, I'd hardly blame that on current AD. Nonetheless, I like the Beamer hire and feel good about direction we're headed.

It seems we can’t catch a break with one bad p/r stunt after the other. Some accidental..... Some on purpose and just bad form. It’s like a comedy show where the University is real and not fictional.

Last edited:
Reactions: SweetgrassVodka
We can’t catch a break with one bad p/r stunt after the other. Some accidental..... some on purpose. It’s a comedy show at this point.
USC definitely needs to hire a professional PR firm. I know one of the guys who owns the firm that represents or has represented Tenet, Coca-Cola, and the Atlanta Braves...they are very good at what they do, but, BUT, they are all UGA grads.

Last edited:
Like every other institution in America, higher education is caught up in this ultra political landscape. It's worse here at USC because of the way the Board works. The result is poor leadership decisions whether it's President of a University or a country.

As long as we are mired in a values war, we won't get much value in selection when it comes to the bottom line.

At least Caslen has the character to offer his resignation. Good on him for that. Fixing the Board is another matter altogether.

Reactions: yoshi121374
For those that yell and scream about changes needed on the BOT, better start lobbying your Representatives. Because the change is only going to happen if the Legislature deems it necessary.
Yes. Specifically, lobby them to change how the BOT is selected and not just who is on it. Otherwise, the best that we'll get is more political appointees that don't give two sh!ts about USC.

Last time I checked, our baseball program is going back to the NCAA Tournament, beat Clemson 2 out of 3, and is #12 in RPI
Men's basketball sucked much worse under Hyman
Football has sucked with the exception of 4 years under Steve Spurrier, I'd hardly blame that on current AD. Nonetheless, I like the Beamer hire and feel good about direction we're headed.
You may want to wait to announce this, projections arent Invites..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT