ADVERTISEMENT

What in the hell is going on at University of South Carolina!

Now that Caslen has resigned, the search goes on and Tanner is safe for a couple of years until they hire a new real President. At least we a few years away from a good Spring house cleaning....

Reactions: bflogger28
I think some of y'all are pretty damn weak to say you're taking your kids out of USC or pushing the up coming students away from USC. The experience of college at USC as a student has nothing to do with who the president is or how the athletic programs are functioning.
You can take 15,000 young people and put them in a desert for four years and they'll make it a good experience. However, if the paper that they get at the end doesn't mean much because the college has lost clout, or if they get curb stomped or shot to death walking to a bar, what has their time and money meant?

That will be a lot more difficult. It would require threatening a lot of legislators with their elected positions and in this state that is only going to happen in th4 primaries.
It will take a lot of work and one reason is because Clemson fans are voters too.

Speaking of Clemson, I would just copy their BOT. Reduce the number and let the members choose the other members.

You do not rise to the rank of general officer without having strong communications skills, either as a troop commander who addresses staff and soldiers on a daily basis, or as a staff officer skilled in briefing superiors.
You also don't rise to General without being politically savvy and intelligent.

Reactions: alphazeta
either way, this country is in a HARD Downward spiral... Just look around man. US gets absoutely "no respect" around the globe. They know we when from a Hard Ass that people hated his tweets, but loved America, to a Sweet old grandpa that sleeps 19 hours a day, and cant get dressed without help. and doesnt know the pledge of allegiance. Russia hacking our infrastructure, IRAN toying with our navy, Hamas Terrosrist shooting misslie into our ONLY real ALLY in the Middle east, gas shortage, no workers, govt paying them more to lock up in basement, Prices on EVERYTHING going through the roof, small businesses going under, etc etc etc.. Man, if you think Biden is doing a fair or even less than average job, you are delusional.. His administration and the real POTUS Harris/Rice/obama has been a total trainwreck, that i fear we may never rebound from.. !
The fact you were blind to these issues until there was a president in office you do not like so you could blame it on him instead of the real causes behind them says more about what is wrong with America today than the issues you mentioned.

It will take a lot of work and one reason is because Clemson fans are voters too.

Speaking of Clemson, I would just copy their BOT. Reduce the number and let the members choose the other members.
You want life members? No thank you. Alumni elections should make up a good share. Make the Board accountable to people who have a vested interest. Why not also let a council of deans have some picks to make sure we have people who understand education. Then maybe allow that group to pick some so we can attract some Darla Moore types or a former president (like Pastides) who might not want to run but might have a lot to offer.

The fact you were blind to these issues until there was a president in office you do not like so you could blame it on him instead of the real causes behind them says more about what is wrong with America today than the issues you mentioned.
okay... "The proof is in the pudding".. The last 100 days is an indication of things to come. If you want to blame Trump go ahead, but he did an amazing job in the areas i consider the most important, Jobs, National Security and Economy. I couldnt care less Whether or not a grown man is allowed to use a little girls room and play on women's sports teams, or whether leader of Iran likes us and pushing green energy, are not that important to me, if those are more important to you, Then you are happy, i am not. So i am happy for you, and the millions sucking of the govt. but this is not the direction i would like for the country to go.. But heyu, that's just me..

John McCain achieved the rank of a Captain in the Navy despite being 5th from last in his class at Annapolis and was allowed to continue to pilot a navy jet despite crashing two planes outside of combat and before his fateful combat (third) crash. The Navy typically takes a pilots wings away if they crash a plane once outside of combat. John McCain's father and grandfather were both four star admirals. So I think it is safe to say there are many ways other than good communication skills and competence to rise in the ranks of the U.S. military. Its very similar to rising in the ranks of a large corporation....it isn't always due to performance and aptitude. John McCain wouldn't even have been accepted to the Naval Academy if he was not a major legacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
John McCain achieved the rank of a Captain in the Navy despite being 5th from last in his class at Annapolis and was allowed to continue to pilot a navy jet despite crashing two planes outside of combat and before his fateful combat (third) crash. The Navy typically takes a pilots wings away if they crash a plane once outside of combat. John McCain's father and grandfather were both four star admirals. So I think it is safe to say there are many ways other than good communication skills and competence to rise in the ranks of the U.S. military. Its very similar to rising in the ranks of a large corporation....it isn't always due to performance and aptitude. John McCain wouldn't even have been accepted to the Naval Academy if he was not a major legacy.
Well, that's where political savvy comes in. But being made Captain us a FAR cry from Admiral (even if Admiral is the next step). Admiral and General are special cases in the military, as they are beyond virtually everyone to achieve. You have to be good and you have to have connections to get a star. It's not something someone "accidents" their way into, and no one will support your bid if you're incompetent, because it would reflect poorly on them. Those ranks are the biggest example of an old boy's club there is.

Absolutely correct. Moore also doesn't meet the requirements to be a University President...and knows that. Joan Gabel is who we should have hired.

Moore definitely should be on the BOT...which needs to be reorganized completely.
If My memory serves me correctly, Nikki Haley (the tater lover) is the reason Darla is no longer on the Board!

Reactions: chickadee#
Well, that's where political savvy comes in. But being made Captain us a FAR cry from Admiral (even if Admiral is the next step). Admiral and General are special cases in the military, as they are beyond virtually everyone to achieve. You have to be good and you have to have connections to get a star. It's not something someone "accidents" their way into, and no one will support your bid if you're incompetent, because it would reflect poorly on them. Those ranks are the biggest example of an old boy's club there is.

There it is. An old boy's club. While I agree that getting to Admiral vs. Captain is very much different, had John McCain graduated in the top half (above average) and not crashed three planes, I have not doubt he would have made admiral because of his lineage. Patton was the best general in the Army but his lack of political savvy and tendency for controversy resulted in other less qualified generals to get higher distinctions and leadership positions in WWII. Montgomery wasn't even close to the level of tactician as Patton but he was given every advantage in leading his battalions to reach France and Germany first, while being the ranking officer of the Allied ground forces. Winston Churchill insisted upon it for PR reasons.

I think some of y'all are pretty damn weak to say you're taking your kids out of USC or pushing the up coming students away from USC. The experience of college at USC as a student has nothing to do with who the president is or how the athletic programs are functioning.
I respectfully disagree. I'm sure those that were students during Holderman would say his shenanigans affected their experience, even in a small way. I know I love the fact that I was there under Dr. Palms. He was really good President.

And c'mon now...How many of us wish we'd been in school from 2009-2013 and what was going on with Football and Baseball? That certainly would have affected student experience. To say otherwise is simply wrong.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the field as a Batgirl back in the day, and I cherish my close friends from the teams back then. Some I still talk to daily even now. But oh how much more awesome it would have been if we'd gone to Omaha then.

I dont know why people keep saying this. Darla Moore does not nor has she ever wanted to be President of the university. Now reforming the BOT selection process and putting her back on the board would be a good move. If she is willing......and that is a big IF.

It is common knowledge around the staff at the school that those that work around Caslen every day think he is socially awkward and in way over his head. He is the butt of jokes all over campus......even before these latest screwups.

Absolutely correct. Moore also doesn't meet the requirements to be a University President...and knows that. Joan Gabel is who we should have hired.

Moore definitely should be on the BOT...which needs to be reorganized completely.
I personally do not understand why it's critical that a University president should have an academic research background. To me, that's analogous to requiring an athletic director to have head coaching experience. Teaching and leading a University, IMO, require different skill sets.

Please do not turn this into a Ray Tanner bashing fest.

I personally do not understand why it's critical that a University president should have an academic research background. To me, that's analogous to requiring an athletic director to have head coaching experience. Teaching and leading a University, IMO, require different skill sets.

Please do not turn this into a Ray Tanner bashing fest.
I would guess it is because a President of a R1 research institution needs to know how the research grant process works, whether government, private, or cooperative. It would also help to have connections in those circles and having experience in hiring those professors that attract those grants. In addition, the President also has to be a fundraiser.

I look at it more akin to a large corporation hiring a Director of Sales without any sales experience.

As an aside, I don't bash Tanner at all.

Sometimes people just lose it. The drive, the energy, attention to detail. They start relaxing a little more. Start drinking a little more. You can get these great job opportunities in your late 50s and into your 60s, after you’ve already spent a lifetime working yourself to death in high pressure jobs.

Bob Caslen might have never been a fit for this job, but that it came at the end of a 45 year career might indicate the guy was just mentally done.

As a graduate of USC and a DIE HARDER Gamecock fan, neither of my kids decided to go to USC and never had in interest in Gamecock athletics that I did and I am OK with that. I never told either one they had to do this or that. My son is at Winthrop and my daughter will be a freshman at the College of Charleston. GO COCKS

USCALUMNI

I’m hoping my kids choose CofC, hard to imagine a better spot to get an education and build a career. Love that area.

That being said, online education will become even more dominant in the future, brick and mortar location is becoming irrelevant in society.

Reactions: uscalumni
I’m hoping my kids choose CofC, hard to imagine a better spot to get an education and build a career. Love that area.

That being said, online education will become even more dominant in the future, brick and mortar location is becoming irrelevant in society.
Better teach them how to defend themselves downtown. Crime has gotten really bad of late.

Better teach them how to defend themselves downtown. Crime has gotten really bad of late.

that is pretty much all across the nation. The attacks on Police by the left, has police leaving in droves, and cautious to even enforce the law..

Not so sure about that last part. I work for a university and we have students clamoring to come back to campus this fall and new students numbers for fall show large increases.

Reactions: rogue cock
I think so on the education question but there are better options out there. I am concerned about their overall college experience, including safety.

I am as anti Clemson as the next guy on this board when it comes to sports but I would send my kids there in a heartbeat for the education / environment (assuming they wanted to go).

Whats sad is the USC is not even
As a graduate of USC and a DIE HARDER Gamecock fan, neither of my kids decided to go to USC and never had in interest in Gamecock athletics that I did and I am OK with that. I never told either one they had to do this or that. My son is at Winthrop and my daughter will be a freshman at the College of Charleston. GO COCKS

USCALUMNI
I am in the same boat. USC would be the only school I would pay out of state tuition for, but my daughter already has scratched it off her list. I used to take her to a lot of football games when she was younger but now she has no interest in any Gamecock athletics. What's sad is she actually has been to more Clemson football games that USC.

Promotion to Flag Officer requires Congressional approval in addition to service selection. McCain was a third generation USNA alumnus. Academy graduates take care of their own.

There it is. An old boy's club. While I agree that getting to Admiral vs. Captain is very much different, had John McCain graduated in the top half (above average) and not crashed three planes, I have not doubt he would have made admiral because of his lineage. Patton was the best general in the Army but his lack of political savvy and tendency for controversy resulted in other less qualified generals to get higher distinctions and leadership positions in WWII. Montgomery wasn't even close to the level of tactician as Patton but he was given every advantage in leading his battalions to reach France and Germany first, while being the ranking officer of the Allied ground forces. Winston Churchill insisted upon it for PR reasons.
McCain's personal and professional behavior once he returned from captivity ensured the Navy would never promote him to admiral. He cheated on his first wife, who had loyally waited on him to come home (and had suffered serious physical injuries from a car accident). McCain was physically and mentally impacted by his captivity and the Navy assigned him to political and PR staff duties. McCain openly caroused while on TDY and divorced his first wife in order to marry the daughter of a politically connected and rich businessman in Arizona.

McCain's personal and professional behavior once he returned from captivity ensured the Navy would never promote him to admiral. He cheated on his first wife, who had loyally waited on him to come home (and had suffered serious physical injuries from a car accident). McCain was physically and mentally impacted by his captivity and the Navy assigned him to political and PR staff duties. McCain openly caroused while on TDY and divorced his first wife in order to marry the daughter of a politically connected and rich businessman in Arizona.
Correct. Divorce will severely limit your advancement in the military...at least it used to....even if the officer wasn't the one at fault.

I think so on the education question but there are better options out there. I am concerned about their overall college experience, including safety.

I am as anti Clemson as the next guy on this board when it comes to sports but I would send my kids there in a heartbeat for the education / environment (assuming they wanted to go).
I have a degree from both schools. Undergrad at Clemson, Med School at USC. When asked where I went to school, my answer is Clemson. I laugh when I read all of the post on here mocking Clemson. I can assure you that I’ve never been embarrassed to claim that school as my own. I’m frequently embarrassed by my grad schools antics in sports and academically. Athletics and academics at Clemson stand head and shoulders above the states “flagship” school, so making fun of it only serves to diminish the value UofSC. I wish that weren’t so, because I want to be proud of both, however it seems that USC is truly run by clowns.

You can take 15,000 young people and put them in a desert for four years and they'll make it a good experience. However, if the paper that they get at the end doesn't mean much because the college has lost clout, or if they get curb stomped or shot to death walking to a bar, what has their time and money meant?
You put 15k in a desert for 4 years and you have hardly a good experience. Probably dire results.

You want life members? No thank you. Alumni elections should make up a good share. Make the Board accountable to people who have a vested interest. Why not also let a council of deans have some picks to make sure we have people who understand education. Then maybe allow that group to pick some so we can attract some Darla Moore types or a former president (like Pastides) who might not want to run but might have a lot to offer.
I like those ideas too. I believe one-half of Clemson's board are lifetime office holders. It has worked for Clemson.

I have a degree from both schools. Undergrad at Clemson, Med School at USC. When asked where I went to school, my answer is Clemson. I laugh when I read all of the post on here mocking Clemson. I can assure you that I’ve never been embarrassed to claim that school as my own. I’m frequently embarrassed by my grad schools antics in sports and academically. Athletics and academics at Clemson stand head and shoulders above the states “flagship” school, so making fun of it only serves to diminish the value UofSC. I wish that weren’t so, because I want to be proud of both, however it seems that USC is truly run by clowns.
I do find it interesting that the school which provided you the means to earn your living as a physician ( I assume) is one you deem to be vastly inferior in terms of its educational quality. Athletics definitely , just thought there might be a bit more respect for grad school experience. My business school grad experience was a good one

I do find it interesting that the school which provided you the means to earn your living as a physician ( I assume) is one you deem to be vastly inferior in terms of its educational quality. Athletics definitely , just thought there might be a bit more respect for grad school experience. My business school grad experience was a good one
Most Clemson graduates will not discuss grad schools....just undergraduate.

Reactions: caughtlookin
There is nothing new under the sun. We have been here before.....every bit as bad if not worse....arrogant football coach who was having an affair with a cheer leader....while the woman’s basketball coach was having an affair with one of her players...and the President during this time wouled soon be arrested by the Feds for Racketeering. I love my alma mater. However, I must admit that sometimes it is MIC.....KEY....MOUSC !

Last edited:
If I were to go crazy and have kids, I wouldn’t make Carolina their passion like I think my parents did to me. I have fond memories growing up and going to all the games even though they rarely won. I wouldn’t try to sway their decision on that....... But they sure as heck WOULD NOT go to Clemson. As a Gamecock- Letting your child go to Clemson is being a bad parent and you should be reported to DSS. :)

They can go to school where ever they want. It is completely in their hands. However, like I have told them, tuition out of daddy’s pocket is only paid to USC.

One of my nieces is going to be a Capstone Scholar, and I couldn't be prouder or happier for her.

Reactions: Carolina Doc
There is nothing new under the sun. We have been here before.....every bit as bad if not worse....arrogant football coach who was having an affair with a cheer leader....while the woman’s basketball coach was having an affair with one of her players...and the President during this time wouled soon be arrested by the Feds for Racketeering. I love my alma mater. However, I must admit that sometimes it is MIC.....KEY....MOUSC !
I hated having to "like" this post. My "like" is actually acknowledging the truth of your post. 🤕

Reactions: cpvniii

I think the last thing you want to do is make a top donor the President of the school. That's like making a top DC lobbyist a Senator.

This is the worst I've seen the University of South Carolina ever!

A President who doesn't know who he is President of..

BOT that has been MIA..

An AD who is managing the decline of the athletic program...

Turning away out biggest donor in Darla Moore...

It's time for a new President and I want Darla Moore as our next President of the University of South Carolina or the head of BOT... We need to make changes and need to make changes NOW!!!

606e13e15ead2.image.jpg

If Lt. Gen. Robert Caslen isn't our next President at USC...​

Then USC isn't worth the dirt it sits on....

How many time does it take for USC to miss out on a good man! Again, and again and again....

After 43 years in the Army, West Point’s beloved Supe Daddy retires

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...-army-west-points-beloved-supe-daddy-retires/

:D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT