ADVERTISEMENT

What is our running back core looking like for 2017? If they are decent to good

O Line is the concern, watching the spring game some of the same players were out there having trouble pulling and getting out on screen passes, their was a lack of athleticism at certain positions in 2016, which since the players are the same, I'm afraid will still plague us in 2017.

I really wanted Helms to move to Center, he may not be athletic enough for guard but I think for center he is a upgrade on getting out and down field vs Knott who is a good snapper but struggles in that area.

I hope Young at OT will start to have more awareness, and understanding at what the defense is throwing him, alot of times, his inexperienced was taking advantage last year through different delayed blitz schemes.

Hurst struggled at blocking last year but really should get better.

AJ Turner will be used more for special situations vs every day back like he was for some of 2016, and he was a liability in the protection game, Williams is a upgrade.

We have 3 talented guys in the backfield & I believe Wolford will shore things up. Bottom line is that I think the run game will be good enough to keep opposing Ds honest.

I hope experience pays on the OL. I read somewhere that we have one of the most experienced O-lines in the country in terms of playing time. I do not however, believe they will be of the "elite" status. We have to recruit a little better to get to that point.

WTF?!
Whatever.
Has everyone forgot that our OLine had a "tell' late in the season?
Hopefully, Wolford fixes it. I think he does.

Reactions: Gradstudent
I hope experience pays on the OL. I read somewhere that we have one of the most experienced O-lines in the country in terms of playing time. I do not however, believe they will be of the "elite" status. We have to recruit a little better to get to that point.
Historically, in all college sports, the onlyntimes the team's who aren't landing the best talent catch up to and or surpass (at least temporarily) their more talented foes is when their lineups have an edge in experience. IOW, coaching and upperclassmen can compete with and win against more talented foes. This has been proven over and over again. We have the experience, Wolford should give them a better coach to learn from... the OL should be improved. I don't know if elite is realistic but I anticipate one of the best showings from a Gamecock OL we have seen in a long time this year.. Potentially better the following year, and with the amount of playing time the skill guys around them will have under their belts the next few seasons... We have every reason to anticipate a great offense over the next couple seasons.

I am more concerned about the DL than the OL.

Reactions: Scuba_do
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT