ADVERTISEMENT

What is our single most glaring weakness on offense this year? What is our biggest strength

Prentiss at TE? Thought he only played fullback. Interesting. I think a lot will depend on whether Muse is at or near 100 percent from his ACL surgery, and also whether some of the athletic freshmen we gave can learn enough of the new offense to meaningfully contribute.

I have a feeling our WR corps will be significantly improved this year if it can stay healthy, maybe not top-half of the SEC better but not in the bottom quarter either, which is an improvement. McClendon had a number of WR groups at UGA that were highly regarded but dropped more than their fair share of balls; was a good recruiter but seemed to fall short sometimes in developing the significant talent he had. Cox has gotten solid reviews as a teacher, and in any event, I am optimistic that Bobo’s offensive scheme will put players in positions to be successful (he isn’t a flashy name but is solid, which we could use right now). McClendon’s playcalling defied logic at times, and at others was so grossly predictable that it killEd any chance for our players to make plays.

By right, the OL should be the strength of the offense, but that should also have been the case last year. Wolford seems to say the right things, has a great reputation for developing talent and has recruited some guys, but his OL haven’t performed great for us (I think I read in a story linked here that we had a low percentage of lost yardage plays but that that was offset by a lack of push for positive plays in the run game). I don’t know enough about football to determine whether the issues last year, other than the injuries that played a big role, were schematic or more on the OL’s shoulders If the OL does its part this year, our QB and RB situations will be fine. Given our schedule, we may need more than “fine” to end with a winning record, but I do expect a significantly better offensive product on the field this year than last if for no other reasons than we should have better coaching and hopefully a better conditioned team to avoid so many injuries.
Bobo indicated that he sees Prentice as kind of a Patrick DiMarco kind of player that can line up at FB or as a TE on the end of the line. So not a traditional TE but he’ll be lining up there.

Bobo indicated that he sees Prentice as kind of a Patrick DiMarco kind of player that can line up at FB or as a TE on the end of the line. So not a traditional TE but he’ll be lining up there.
UGA’s flex guy, who was usually big and not particularly athletic, always seemed to burn us 2-3x in each game when Bobo was calling plays... pick up a crucial 3rd and 8, etc. He seems to scheme that position well, so I hope we can turn it around on some folks w/AP. Would love to see what Eric Shaw brings to the position. At 6’4” 220, he could stand to put on a few pounds but is supposedly freakishly athletic.

WR - No stud at WR but the group is better overall.
OL - We do have one or two very good OL that should play on Sunday. Overall we will be better than last year at OL because of better depth. Nichols is our best run blocking OT. If he gets better at pass blocking then he could crack the starting lineup. If you watch him, his spine doesn't bend when run blocking. It stays horizontal. In other words this dude is a human battering ram. He eventually could be as good a run blocker as Nesbit. Big upside. Could eventually move to gaurd.
RB - It depends on White. Without White we will not be as good as last year...with him we should be as good as last year but not better. Our depth is a concern.
TE - Depth is better. Overall group is better. Muse is a stud if healthy. He is not 100 % healthy.
QB - Better with better depth.

You have to look at it through a recruits eyes. Most of these guys were 14-15 when Muschamp came. All they've seen is a methodical low scoring offense for years. The top playmakers want to go where they'll shine. This system now just doesn't put out excitement. We will have limited skill players this year because of the last 5 years.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
on offense this year?

I know this is not exactly what you were alluding to. But the weakness on offense has been, is, and always will be Muschamp meddling with play calling. Strength is the QB position. I hope Bobo calls a good game that is not predictable.

Weakness is first year in new offense. Rarely goes well

strength is prentice. Think he will be there to bail out the Offense with his blocking and being the safety outlet for the QBs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT