ADVERTISEMENT

What is the meaning behind your GCC handle?

If you don’t mind sharing. Some of you I have wondered where the name came from.
Mine happens to be my middle name.
I represented a high profile criminal defendant in the 1990’s, and famously had him acquitted.

Not really, I’m just an attorney who happens to be a USC alum. I thought it was clever, but I’m frequently reminded that I’m not as clever as I think.

Bucketdad is a nickname sometimes used to describe a dad that practices pitching with his kids while they learn to pitch. The way it goes is they usually take a kid to lessons once a week, catch them at home and are taught what to work on and what to look for in practice the week ahead. We typically sit on buckets. I've had two kids who pitched that are 6 years apart so I have spent a good part of my adult life sitting on that bucket. I have lost more toenails than I care to remember (stupid breaking balls) but it was a small price to pay for quality one-on- one time with the kids. I wear "bucketdad" proudly.

People think I'm the bastard son of a northern ruler.

Tyrion Lannister: My greatest accomplishment. And you, you're Ned Stark's bastard, aren't you?

[Jon walks away]

Tyrion Lannister: Did I offend you? Sorry. You arethe bastard, though.

Jon Snow: Lord Eddard Stark is my father.

Tyrion Lannister: And Lady Stark is not your mother, making you … the bastard. Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.

Jon Snow: What the hell do you know about being a bastard?

Tyrion Lannister: All dwarfs are bastards in their fathers' eyes.

Tyrion Lannister: My greatest accomplishment. And you, you're Ned Stark's bastard, aren't you?

[Jon walks away]

Tyrion Lannister: Did I offend you? Sorry. You arethe bastard, though.

Jon Snow: Lord Eddard Stark is my father.

Tyrion Lannister: And Lady Stark is not your mother, making you … the bastard. Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.

Jon Snow: What the hell do you know about being a bastard?

Tyrion Lannister: All dwarfs are bastards in their fathers' eyes.
The good old days, back when the show was still drawing from the books.

Back before iPhone’s were popular a lot of us used cb radios to communicate.

My handle was Goldenrod. No particular meaning and I don’t remember how I picked it.

Years later when iPhones were hot and I started following the various forums, I had to pick a forum name.

I chose Golden Cock partially from my cb handle and because I wanted a gamecock name.

Last edited:
so you meet your wife 200 years from now? :)
Started out in 1998 with fowlmood, because of course, we gamecocks fans are always in a foul mood. When the great changeover occurred, I did not do something per instructions and lost my handle and all my posts. So I came up, being in a foul mood, with, doggonit, USC MUST WIN. So, thank me, I ordered all the success of the 2000s.

Right out of high school, I worked in a factory with a group of young guys who had difficulty pronouncing my last name. So I got the nickname (I joke that it's my street name) "Ess". Then another guy came to work who was also known by that nickname. So I got the "The Real..." tacked on to mine because I was there first. To understand this you'd have to know something of 80's rap. "Roxanne" and "The Real Roxanne" were dueling rappers, putting out battle raps. But I love fishing. Thus the pun "The Reel Ess".

After all these years I still have a few buddies that call me that. Of course, I love the nickname.

I adopted mine for one of my early forays into message boards; it happened to be a Mustang web board, and since my Mustang is a 1992, I went with the ever clever and original “92Pony”..... I use it across all boards from this one to tech boards to The Walking Dead, to music boards.....

Stuck down in Georgia (hence the expat) but SC will always be "home" for me. And, 38 is George's number -- the greatest Gamecock of all time. So, SCexpat38. If I could change it, I'd probably go for something less like a bank password.

Avatar photo is of Jim Walsh Jr., a USC lineman in the 80s from Savannah who ended up in Hinesville, Ga., where he for a long time was a pretty good football coach for Bradwell Institute and even better human being.

I have never been in the military; however, it seems that I have made my way into two several military flights including the Navy, Marines and Air Force. I like the movie Top Gun so I merged my USC degree into Cockgun.

Reactions: Brace1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT