ADVERTISEMENT

What is the meaning behind your GCC handle?

I was born in St. Petersburg Florida but my parents moved me up to Greenville when I was 5. Now I live in Virginia. I used to have this name on mi License plate.

I didn't put much thought into mine. University of South Carolina Gamecocks 1984. It was my favorite Gamecock season at the time.

As for the kid, I just figured that's what the feeling of victory looks like.

I always thought the kid was your little boy.

Reactions: mavcock
The name I put on credit card applications in college to get the free shirt.
That and I somehow lost CockDiesel and CockTails over the past 20 years.

Reactions: DrMickey
Reminds me of the criminally underrated band Cracker. One of them is named johnny. In one of their songs, the singer yells "Solo, Johnny".

Graduated in 92 from USC in Electrical Engineering and I'm a licensed Professional Engineer, all of this to the astonishment of most of my professors. I also have a 2 year degree from Midlands Tech but couldn't find a way to slip that in there. I also failed out of USC once and decided not to address that.

My first screen name around 1999-ish was CohibaCock because I enjoyed cigars. Then I changed it to ChinaCatIknowyourider which is a wonderful grateful dead jam but the screen name made it difficult for people I suppose. So I changed to RaleighGC. I live in Raleigh and love my GameCocks.....

Reactions: Judson1
I'm a Mauldin Maverick and a South Carolina Gamecock. Kinda pedestrian but it I signed up for FGF in 2002 and I was a youngster with a lack of creativity at the time. Or maybe I was chasing too many women at the time and that was more important than thinking up a catchy moniker.

My friend and mentor, who was a friend of my dad, was a PHD, and was a Renaissance man. He excelled in music, math, electronics, auto mechanics, liberal politics, and basically everything he got his hands on. He made a trip to Atlanta with a friend. While in Atlanta, they went to meet this guy who was active in the same hobby. The guy's name was Anson. They told me I reminded them of him. They both started calling me Anson. I never met the guy named Anson, and therefore was not offended. Kinda of liked the nickname, so I try to use it.

Although I absorbed none of his brilliance and prodigious music ability, liberal politics, etc., I am greatly indebted to my friend for encouraging me to do my best. He is now past 90. Sadly, he is in a memory care unit, and I cannot visit him at this time.

Ha! I got so many free shirts from around the SEC using "Harry Lyon" on those applications.

Reactions: Judson1
Flew F-16s at McEntire from 1983 to 1995. Was also a Captain at American Airlines and flew the 727, 757, 767, MD-80, MD-11, A-300 and wound up retiring on the 777. Viper is one of the nicknames for the F-16. Others are the Electric jet and the lawn dart. The official name is the Fighting Falcon.

Flew F-16s at McEntire from 1983 to 1995. Was also a Captain at American Airlines and flew the 727, 757, 767, MD-80, MD-11, A-300 and wound up retiring on the 777. Viper is one of the nicknames for the F-16. Others are the Electric jet and the lawn dart. The official name is the Fighting Falcon.

Lawn Dart does not sound like a great name for a jet.

Stuck down in Georgia (hence the expat) but SC will always be "home" for me. And, 38 is George's number -- the greatest Gamecock of all time. So, SCexpat38. If I could change it, I'd probably go for something less like a bank password.

Avatar photo is of Jim Walsh Jr., a USC lineman in the 80s from Savannah who ended up in Hinesville, Ga., where he for a long time was a pretty good football coach for Bradwell Institute and even better human being.
Bradwell Institute has produced several Gamecock football players beginning back in the mid-60's with A Brown and C Boyd thru cueernt current running back on the roster. Keep them coming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT