ADVERTISEMENT

What is the meaning behind your GCC handle?

Mine was a nickname a co-worker now close friend gave me. He knew I had gone to Harvard but could not wrap his brain as to why I followed the Gamecocks ( I sometimes wonder myself :) ). So he would say you're not a SC Gamecock, you're the ultimate oxymoron - Harvard Gamecock.
I picked my avatar just because I thought it looked cool. No other reason

If you don’t mind sharing. Some of you I have wondered where the name came from.
Mine happens to be my middle name.
My uncle's name was Judson. He passed away several years ago, not long after my dad. But he was quite the character.

My name is simple. I love role playing games. Been playing them since I was a kid. My preferred class has always been the noble Paladin. Lawful Good and violent about it. 181 is because I also love palindromes, and 181 is the same forwards, backwards, right side up, and upside down (in sans serif fonts) and also, the name paladin is usually already taken. So that's me. No Furman, no "Have Gun Will Travel", though I did love that show growing up.

EDIT: I've been using this name everywhere online from tech to gaming forums since I was about 15. It's nearly as much my name as my real name is.

Last edited:
Right out of high school, I worked in a factory with a group of young guys who had difficulty pronouncing my last name. So I got the nickname (I joke that it's my street name) "Ess". Then another guy came to work who was also known by that nickname. So I got the "The Real..." tacked on to mine because I was there first. To understand this you'd have to know something of 80's rap. "Roxanne" and "The Real Roxanne" were dueling rappers, putting out battle raps. But I love fishing. Thus the pun "The Reel Ess".

After all these years I still have a few buddies that call me that. Of course, I love the nickname.
hI6bsQ.gif
61x7y4l9A-L.jpg

When the doctor was pulling me out he told my mom to brace herself because your baby has a big head! That’s not my real name but “brace, stuck with me so I use it on sites talking about sports. I was on here years ago as Brace without the 1 and I couldn’t get back into the site with that, so I added the 1

Flew F-16s at McEntire from 1983 to 1995. Was also a Captain at American Airlines and flew the 727, 757, 767, MD-80, MD-11, A-300 and wound up retiring on the 777. Viper is one of the nicknames for the F-16. Others are the Electric jet and the lawn dart. The official name is the Fighting Falcon.
Was at McEntire from early '72 to December, '77 on weekends. Although I was there because otherwise I would have been drafted, it really helped acquaint me with the real world. I remember fondly the WW2 veterans who were senior officers in the Air Guard back then.

I spent most of my adult life working on import cars and owned an auto repair shop that specialized in import cars. On everything else I'm "importman" but I tweaked it slightly to fit the situation here.

Reactions: Judson1
Watched my first Carolina Baseball during the National Championship in 1975 in middle school and I hated baseball at that time...

Then started listening to Carolina baseball on the radio in high school and when I heard some background noice on the radio during one of the baseball games Bob Fulton was broadcasting and I had to check out what was going on during the game.

When got my license, shortly after the 1979 season started, I drove to one of the games and discovered that noice on the radio was coming from the 3rd base side and have been part of the group ever since, until I had kids...

My first handle was Damnifiknow back in 1996 until I changed it...

Last edited:
Clemson Blows was already taken i guess..
Forgot the password to my original ClemsonBloz account, so we added another z...

Graduated from USC (none of that UofSC crap) in 2001. Hence-USC01 (probably had to add the # because usc01 was already taken-haha)

Well, when I signed up, all the “cock” names were gone!

Dr.Mickey has been my web name on forums since 1998, and my first forum was a Disney World forum (Mickey). I’m a dentist (or as my brother says not a real doctor ;)), and the name stuck. Of course, I knew that my best chance of remembering when I logged on was to use the same name.

I guess I’ve been on here 10 years now. Wow. As a lifelong Gamecock, it has been nice to have a place to commiserate. And thanks to this thread, I just learned that Paladin181 is NOT a fellow Furman grad. Who knew?

Flew F-16s at McEntire from 1983 to 1995. Was also a Captain at American Airlines and flew the 727, 757, 767, MD-80, MD-11, A-300 and wound up retiring on the 777. Viper is one of the nicknames for the F-16. Others are the Electric jet and the lawn dart. The official name is the Fighting Falcon.
Viper driver! Thanks for your service and flying busses. ODS?

Mine came from flying sims....and no, I never flew a real plane. Surprising the people that think flameout means something burning.

Mine is the sound a rooster makes :)
Avatar is a shout-out to the first Gamecock player I wanted to be like "when I grew up" - RB Mike Dingle

Well, when I signed up, all the “cock” names were gone!

Dr.Mickey has been my web name on forums since 1998, and my first forum was a Disney World forum (Mickey). I’m a dentist (or as my brother says not a real doctor ;)), and the name stuck. Of course, I knew that my best chance of remembering when I logged on was to use the same name.

I guess I’ve been on here 10 years now. Wow. As a lifelong Gamecock, it has been nice to have a place to commiserate. And thanks to this thread, I just learned that Paladin181 is NOT a fellow Furman grad. Who knew?
Good things to learn. Not that it matters. I think Furman is a great school. I just never went there. It's a matter of coincidence. The user name has caused me grief on SC boards for that simple assumption.

Reactions: DrMickey
Mine is a nod to the Jim Rome show. He always introduces callers as "Name" in "Place". I got on his show back in 92 when I lived in San Diego. I signed up for the board when I lived in Los Angeles in 99ish. Back then I was Ken in LA. After that I moved to Sacramento and updated the handle to "Ken in Sacramento". I have since lived in Palm Springs, San Francisco, and now live in San Jose but never bothered to update the handle.

BTW- I loved Sacramento! I'm still trying to figure out how to get back!

Mine is a nod to the Jim Rome show. He always introduces callers as "Name" in "Place". I got on his show back in 92 when I lived in San Diego. I signed up for the board when I lived in Los Angeles in 99ish. Back then I was Ken in LA. After that I moved to Sacramento and updated the handle to "Ken in Sacramento". I have since lived in Palm Springs, San Francisco, and now live in San Jose but never bothered to update the handle.

Or do you driver I believe a white jeep with a Gamecock spare tire cover?

I used to post on other sites as Lowcountry Cock. But that and several other versions of it were taken. So I decided to just go with a light-hearted play on our mascot.;)

I like East of Sacramento up 80 about 100 miles. Absolutely beautiful country. Amazes me how people here hate California without even seeing it.

Reactions: DrMickey
yes. beautiful country!

My bucket list trip last summer took me to Yosemite (not too far from Sacramento) and Sequoia National Parks, plus a few days at Disneyland. Best trip I’ve ever taken. I was in heaven in Yosemite Valley. Wow.

Now, there were some not so beautiful places along the way...but that’s true everywhere. One big thing I noticed as an outsider who had never spent any time out there. The weather in June was unbelievable - beautiful, but drastically different within an hours drive. We left Anaheim with highs in the upper 60s, passed LA in the 80s, crested the first coastal mountains to the hundreds of miles of flat farmland where it hit 105 degrees, all within a three hour drive. And of course Sequoia was back in the 60s, but our house at the bottom of the hill hit 95 and it was so dry I was afraid a fart could cause a wildfire. You know, here in SC it’s a bit different from the coast to up here in Greenville, but NOTHING like that. What an interesting trip.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
If you don’t mind sharing. Some of you I have wondered where the name came from.
Mine happens to be my middle name.
I saw a comic strip where the chickens on the yard were floating up into the air like ghosts. The wife looks out the window, then yells “Frank, we’ve got Poultrygeist!” I saw that comic and entered it as my handle and was surprised it was not taken. My fist handle was Cock-doo. I chose it because my two year old son could not say cocka-dooodle-doo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT