ADVERTISEMENT

What is today's (Sunday) Rumor on the new baseball coach???

Haven't heard anything since the state reported the Bakich interview. If memory serves, Mike mcgee knew Ray was his guy, he just had to sell him on coming here. I wonder, does Ray have a guy in mind? He said in his press conference that some candidate's teams are still playing. So is he just interviewing for a backup plan and already know who he wants, just has to sell it when their season is over? Or is he kicking tires and not sure yet?

Reactions: sadd66
Haven't heard anything since the state reported the Bakich interview. If memory serves, Mike McGee knew Ray was his guy, he just had to sell him on coming here. I wonder, does Ray have a guy in mind? He said in his press conference that some candidates' teams are still playing. So is he just interviewing for a backup plan and already know who he wants, just has to sell it when their season is over? Or is he kicking tires and not sure yet?

My guess, which is as good and valid as any other poster, is that by now he has some idea of who he wants, but is currently kicking tires/vetting.

Fellow posters, even if you are not elated with whom RT eventually hires, please give the new coach a chance.

Reactions: wood90 and sadd66
I'm just wondering what kind of money we're willing to offer, that will tell you who we can get! Now are they interested in coming! I heard sully today at church, if he's looking to get back to sc and wants to see butts in the seats he might be the guy! I'm in no way sold on him though!

Last edited:
I agree our new coach needs to be a good hitting coach but there is always a situation for a good bunt. Just move the runners up.

Calling for a sacrifice bunt is among the stupidest things a manager can do. Holbrook compounded making a stupid decision by calling for bunts with guys at the plate who could not bunt at all. God, he was the worst.

Jim Schlossnagle would be fantastic. Develops players and almost never bunts.

Greg Lovelady was mentioned in a thread about hot coaches as possible candidates. What he did at Wright st and is doing at ucf is impressive. He played at Miami under Jim Morris and he's only 38. My concern would be the level of competition his teams have faced. Seems like he'd be worth interviewing

Greg Lovelady was mentioned in a thread about hot coaches as possible candidates. What he did at Wright st and is doing at ucf is impressive. He played at Miami under Jim Morris and he's only 38. My concern would be the level of competition his teams have faced. Seems like he'd be worth interviewing

Well, his team gave us fits and we took 2 out of 3 against Wright State.

But, I would have a hard time with a coach named Lovelady coaching the Cocks... just saying.,,, :D

Reactions: atl-cock and wood90
All I know is he better hurry up. Two 2020 local boys committed to Monte this weekend that are players!

All I know is he better hurry up. Two 2020 local boys committed to Monte this weekend that are players!
Even though 2020 is an eternity for high school kids, who are the players? Were they previously committed to us?

It starts much earlier than that, believe it or not. No, they were not committed to us--they both are in our backyards though--Dutch Fork & River Bluff.

I agree our new coach needs to be a good hitting coach but there is always a situation for a good bunt. Just move the runners up.
... and throws away an out most of the time.. there is not a statistical basis I have seen for bunting a guy over- especially just from first to second- the pros have pretty much quit doing it because it does not lead to more runs generally.

It starts much earlier than that, believe it or not. No, they were not committed to us--they both are in our backyards though--Dutch Fork & River Bluff.
Kind of like the kid from Columbia playing for Wake Forest hitting over 300 this yr. Can't get them all I suppose.

I like what i've been reading on Bakich overall. Not totally sure i'd like him as our next coach but i did appreciate this quote via wikipedia:

He stated his plan to build a "recruiting wall" around the state to keep local talent at home. Bakich said, "Patience is not a virtue of mine. We don't have any time for that sh*t."[3]

... and throws away an out most of the time.. there is not a statistical basis I have seen for bunting a guy over- especially just from first to second- the pros have pretty much quit doing it because it does not lead to more runs generally.
I somewhat disagree but I see your point. Bunting the runner from 1st to 2nd scores that runner with a single that's the way it's supposed to work but our guys left them stranded. Too many times we'd load the bases with no, or one out and nothing happened. I say give up the out to move the runner but the next hitters have to hit not take call strike 3. But I do agree it seemed to be bunting was automatic with Chad.

I somewhat disagree but I see your point. Bunting the runner from 1st to 2nd scores that runner with a single that's the way it's supposed to work but our guys left them stranded. Too many times we'd load the bases with no, or one out and nothing happened. I say give up the out to move the runner but the next hitters have to hit not take call strike 3. But I do agree it seemed to be bunting was automatic with Chad.

Your expected runs scored goes down when you call for a sacrifice bunt. It's that simple. Even in the best case, you're trading a base for an out. Which is stupid. You only get 27 outs, three an inning. Giving one away for any reason is so dumb. It would be like giving up a down in football on second and 10 in exchange for 3 yards. We got 3 free yards! But now it's third and 7 and we have one down left to get the first down.

Worst case, your player can't even get the bunt down properly and you give away an out for nothing-- which is what Holbrook did all the time. Forget baseball, the man doesn't seem to have any common sense.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
When they didn't get the bunt down guess what happened most of the time. One, two easy double play. Then you have nobody on base with 2 outs.

Your expected runs scored goes down when you call for a sacrifice bunt. It's that simple. Even in the best case, you're trading a base for an out. Which is stupid. You only get 27 outs, three an inning. Giving one away for any reason is so dumb. It would be like giving up a down in football on second and 10 in exchange for 3 yards. We got 3 free yards! But now it's third and 7 and we have one down left to get the first down.

Worst case, your player can't even get the bunt down properly and you give away an out for nothing-- which is what Holbrook did all the time. Forget baseball, the man doesn't seem to have any common sense.
All that sounds good unless the hitter misses the bunt sign and hits into a DP. Moving the runner eliminates that.

In the pros every hitter is a legit hitter, or at least should be but not so much in college. I'd rather take a chance (sometimes) bunting than hitting into the inning killing DP. It's all a gamble.

Good thing when gorilla ball died with the bat changes, that Tanner didn't do something silly like resort to small-ball; bunting runners around and stuff. Good thing he didn't employ that strategy and win a couple of CWS.......oh, wait.... (I think the big difference was he had players who could actually execute the sac bunt.)

Reactions: bushmastercock

Perfect analogy. Except I would say it is more like giving away a down on FIRST down to get three years a, as long as you are doubting the guy over when you have no outs, which is the only time people generally do it..

Also, if the runner is at SECOND with no outs, I see more value in the sac bunt... I don't know the stats on that but it seems to help if you get the guy to third with only one out, then you just need a fly ball or decent grounder to get them home!

And to be honest I think some mentioned this- I certainly would not fault him for trying some sac bunts when our bats were struggling the way they were, but to do it at the times he did it with the PLAYERS he asked to do it in the situations...

For example- when he took DESTINO OUT OF GHE GAME VS CELMZUN TO PUT IN A FRESHMAN SO THEY COULD TRY TO BUNT.... I was ready to fire him after THAT ONE CALL!! Alex was our best hitter, best power hitter, best RBI producer over the past three years!!! How do you take THAT GUY OUT IN THAT SITUATION!?!? To make the football reference- that would have been like taking LATTIMORE out of the game on 2nd and goal at the 1 yard line to put in some weakling freshman WR to run the ball in!

Perfect analogy. Except I would say it is more like giving away a down on FIRST down to get three years a, as long as you are doubting the guy over when you have no outs, which is the only time people generally do it..

Disagree. If we're equating it to football, it's more akin to 1st and goal at the 5 and giving up a down for 3 yards to get you right on the goal line and have 2 cracks to punch it in.

Also, if the runner is at SECOND with no outs, I see more value in the sac bunt... I don't know the stats on that but it seems to help if you get the guy to third with only one out, then you just need a fly ball or decent grounder to get them home!

And to be honest I think some mentioned this- I certainly would not fault him for trying some sac bunts when our bats were struggling the way they were, but to do it at the times he did it with the PLAYERS he asked to do it in the situations...

For example- when he took DESTINO OUT OF GHE GAME VS CELMZUN TO PUT IN A FRESHMAN SO THEY COULD TRY TO BUNT.... I was ready to fire him after THAT ONE CALL!! Alex was our best hitter, best power hitter, best RBI producer over the past three years!!! How do you take THAT GUY OUT IN THAT SITUATION!?!? To make the football reference- that would have been like taking LATTIMORE out of the game on 2nd and goal at the 1 yard line to put in some weakling freshman WR to run the ball in!
Not saying I disagree with ya. But Destino left 14 men on base that whole 3 game series with 0 RBI. I looked it up. We should have sweep them. 6 times he was up with 2 men on. And 2 other times with 1 man on.

Reactions: atgmck
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT