ADVERTISEMENT

What is USC's signature victory????

glmoreno

Jan 30, 2017
Charlotte
www.facebook.com
Actually saw this on twitter yesterday. If there is a similar post, a moderator can just delete this one then......

What do you think is the biggest victory in USC sports?

Football: #19 USC beats #1 Alabama 35-21 on 10/9/2010

Baseball: USC scores in bottom of 11th to beat UCLA 2-1 and win the 1st Title in school history 6/29/10

Basketball: 7th seed USC (worst 7th seed in NCAAory according to Matt Jones of KY Sports Radio) upsets #2 Duke 88-81 to advance to the Sweet Sixteen for first time in school history.

My choice is the basketball team.

The football victory was great, but it was during the regular season. Plus we lost to kentucky the following week, so all the good feelings we built, disappeared.

I loved the baseball title, but baseball is not as high profile of a sport as football and basketball. Plus, the Gamecocks have always had a really good baseball program.

The basketball team came from out of nowhere. Over the last couple of months, they struggled. Nobody would have been shocked if we lost to Marquette in the 1st round. We have moved into the big time now. Even if we lose the next game, the glow is still there! While beating Bama was great, Spurrier was on the downside of his career, and we all knew that at some point there were going to be coaching changes happening in the next few years. Frank Martin will be 51 on Thursday. He is still young enough to build this team, and he has the fire. I think we are in for some years of basketball success!!!

Actually saw this on twitter yesterday. If there is a similar post, a moderator can just delete this one then......

Baseball: USC scores in bottom of 11th to beat UCLA 2-1 and win the 1st Title in school history 6/29/10

Basketball: 7th seed USC (worst 7th seed in NCAAory according to Matt Jones of KY Sports Radio) upsets #2 Duke 88-81 to advance to the Sweet Sixteen for first time in school history.
I guess we need to define biggest. If it's the most notoriety, it would have to be basketball or the win in football against Alabama. If you are talking about hardware, no doubt the baseball win against UCLA to win the N.C.

Why does this feel like a bait thread?

Definitely not a bait thread. Longtime Gamecock! Just a question on what people consider the most important victory in USC history.

I think walloping Florida at The Swamp, with HBC, to win the East was pretty big. But man, hard to pick one of those.

Totally forgot the Fla game in the swamp! That actually might be bigger than Bama considering the HBC brought home our 1st SEC East title in his old stomping grounds!

Sunday win was big but I still think the Kevin Joyce tip to Tom Owens was the biggest basketball win. But there are bigger wins in football and baseball.

I will take your word for it! A little before my time....I go back to the Felton years with Price, Manning, Hudson, etc....

1971 - USC, a charter member of the ACC, wins the ACC tournament, and with it, the league's championship, for the only time, and in its last appearance as a conference member, defeating the ACC's flagship basketball power and securing the league's only berth in the NCAA tournament.

Beating Michigan 17-14 at Ann Arbor. Still remember watching game on closed circuit television at the Carolina Coliseum.

Reactions: glmoreno
Remember that time on April 2, 2017 when the South Carolina women beat UConn to win the national championship and then the next night on April 3, 2017, the South Carolina men beat UNC to win the national championship? Those were my favorites.

Yeah, that's right. Go big or go home.

I would go with both baseball championships, the 2010 football win over Bama, the 84 football win over FSU, the 1971 ACC tournament win, and then the win over Duke.

For me, obviously NOTHING will ever top the feeling I felt at 11:36 pm June 29, 2010. (Well other than the first time I saw Little Man after he was born.)

But I'll be honest, Sunday night came pretty darn close.
Ditto. After Merrifield got the base hit and Wingo scored, I immediately thought of my late father and how much seeing that would have meant to him.

Last edited:
I agree with each and every example.

However, if for no other reason than the sweet taste of revenge, after the ridiculous call on the previous play, .... let us never forget "THE HIT"

I agree with each and every example.

However, if for no other reason than the sweet taste of revenge, after the ridiculous call on the previous play, .... let us never forget "THE HIT"
Oh, yes.:) And it was great that he was in Greenville supporting MBB too. And a great post for a new thread entitled "Favorite Athletic Plays" or some such.

I've got to go with Championships first - both baseball championships. And at least right now I would put the 90s SEC men's basketball team winning the conference at Rupp Arena on senior day. However, this team is really close, and I think a Final Four banner would trump that.

The win over Kentucky on senior day was huge, and they won it all that year. I had recorded it on vhs and watched it so many times. Pitino had to get on the microphone and calm the fans. The were throwing bottles onto the court.

That win and the win over UNC in Charlotte in the Pepsi tournament in the early 90s was huge. I was most excited over those two. The Cincinnati win was big and we were down by I think 30 points at one time and a win over Louisville while we were in the metro was another exciting win.

Biggest wins ever ? It has to be the baseball championships. Us Gamecock fans have had some horrible teams to watch through the years and to finally be the best, the champions, it was a big deal for me so those go to the top.

I still have a place in my heart for those USC teams that won back to back NIT titles

It's not the greatest achievement in the world but for us to win any title was a great feeling and I know those teams could've made some noise in the NCAA tourney.

The NIT Championships would be in my top 10.

Wow, The Hit . That was a great moment. Not a championship but man I was jacked the f up after that fix of a ruling. Still wish JD had scooped and scored but Devon fell right on top of him. LOL.

the win over UNC in Charlotte in the Pepsi tournament in the early 90s was huge. I was most excited over those two. The Cincinnati win was big and we were down by I think 30 points at one time and a win over Louisville while we were in the metro was another exciting win.

I remember the win over UNC. If I remember correctly, Eddie Fogler said that he would never schedule another game with UNC due to the ties he had to the school.

I definitely remember the Cincy win. Grant hitting the three at the top of the key at the buzzer! Awesome..

As far as L'ville is concerned, the only game I remember was the "fight game" in the old arena. Big lead late in game, fight broke out with even a couple of fans getting into it, then we missed a bunch of technical foul shots while they hit their shots (including a technical shot given to a fan), and then to see that guy hit a mid court 3 at the buzzer to go to OT. We lost in double OT that day. The funniest part was the fan. He received a tech because he reached out and punched a Cardinal player in the face. I know he was arrested. He's actually an attorney now in ATL!!!!

I remember the win over UNC. If I remember correctly, Eddie Fogler said that he would never schedule another game with UNC due to the ties he had to the school.

I definitely remember the Cincy win. Grant hitting the three at the top of the key at the buzzer! Awesome..

As far as L'ville is concerned, the only game I remember was the "fight game" in the old arena. Big lead late in game, fight broke out with even a couple of fans getting into it, then we missed a bunch of technical foul shots while they hit their shots (including a technical shot given to a fan), and then to see that guy hit a mid court 3 at the buzzer to go to OT. We lost in double OT that day. The funniest part was the fan. He received a tech because he reached out and punched a Cardinal player in the face. I know he was arrested. He's actually an attorney now in ATL!!!!
LOL an attorney wow. I was young and remember they were really good back then . I thought we beat them when Pervis Ellison was there.

Eddie Fogler did say he would never schedule a game against UNC at some point in his Gamecock career, but the Diet Pepsi tourney win over the Holes came under George Felton.

Eddie Fogler did say he would never schedule a game against UNC at some point in his Gamecock career, but the Diet Pepsi tourney win over the Holes came under George Felton.
IMO an additional criterion for all individuals who are hired as a head coach in any USC varsity sport should be a willingness to schedule any and all of our former ACC brethren in that sport.

If Fogler was a Clemron alumnus, he would never get away with not scheduling the taters.

Beating Michigan 17-14 at Ann Arbor. Still remember watching game on closed circuit television at the Carolina Coliseum.

I was there too. It was an amazing experience. Like having several thousand people in your living room watching a game. I cannot remember how many people were there that day. Do you?

To me, in football, it was the Ala. game in 2010 when they were ranked No. 1 (Stephen Garcia was totally amazing that day) AND the Clemson game 56-20 with Jeff Grantz at QB leading the way! Baseball was when Michael Roth pitched a full game elimating a great Clemson team in Omaha leading us into our first Natl. Championship in baseball. Basketball was the ACC tourney win against a favored UNC team in 1971 (Kevin Joyce outjumping their much-taller Lee Dedmond tapping it to Tom Owens under the basket for the winning layup) along with last Sunday's upset win over Duke!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT