ADVERTISEMENT

What is your favorite SEC away venue to visit?

When the league re-expanded to 12 in the early '90s, given the desire for permanent cross-division opponents, it made sense for the league to pair us with Arky since we both were the newbies. Is Mizzou Arky's new cross-division permanent opponent?
yes, they are.

I want to go to Texas a and m this year also ! Trying to figure out the expenses etc. I went to Missouri two years ago. Want to go to Texas this time around. Seems like awesome trip

We went to Mizzou in 2013, was very bland, and finding a hotel was awful because the world series was in St. Louis that same weekend against Boston.....but coming back from 17-0 deficit and winning in double OT helped my opinion of the other Columbia a lot. :D

We're flying Delta into Houston from Atlanta for $136 round trip. I was honestly shocked at how cheap it came out to be. Three of us going and hotel (for four nights) and airfare on Expedia ended up being $225 a person.

Think we're going to try to catch the Texans-Titans game as well. See our old friends Jadeveon Clowney and Jonathan Joseph.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I am surprised Ole Miss isn't the run away winner. From a Texas perspective it sure would be.

Well I can't vote on Ole Miss. Haven't been there yet unfortunately. Hoping to add that one to the list in 2018.

It's also crazy we don't play at Alabama again until 2024, (15 years between visits) that will complete my list of visiting all 14 I hope.

We went to Mizzou in 2013, was very bland, and finding a hotel was awful because the world series was in St. Louis that same weekend against Boston.....but coming back from 17-0 deficit and winning in double OT helped my opinion of the other Columbia a lot. :D

We're flying Delta into Houston from Atlanta for $136 round trip. I was honestly shocked at how cheap it came out to be. Three of us going and hotel (for four nights) and airfare on Expedia ended up being $225 a person.

Think we're going to try to catch the Texans-Titans game as well. See our old friends Jadeveon Clowney and Jonathan Joseph.

That's a great deal . Still trying to figure things out. Thanks

I've been to 10 of the 14 and here's my take.

1. Tennessee - Gotta love the short drive and the mountains. Fans have always been great.
2. LSU - New Orleans, fans are your best friend before the game, hate you during the game, and your best friend again afterwards. All the alcohol you could want.
3. Vanderbilt - Nashville says enough....and usually a W. Can't beat that.
4. Kentucky - Great trip other than their obnoxious, vulgar fans. Pretty drive but don't speed, the Kentucky troopers don't play no games, i learned my lesson. o_O
5. Florida - Other than Florida having 30 yards and 30 points at halftime the time I went, it was fun.
6. Auburn - Nice town. Clemson 2.0 though.
7. Missouri - Very plain jane. Only thing in Columbia is the school. If you go stay in St. Louis, unless it's during the World Series.
8. Georgia - Probably the worst fanbase in the SEC, worse than UK.
9. Mississippi State - Middle of no where. Bring ear plugs, the cowbells don't stop. Don't think I will make this trip again.

Will be adding Texas A&M to the list this season. Booked my flight last night!

I've been to all of them.
1) LSU
2) Ole Miss
3) Bama
4) TN
5) Mizzou
6) Miss State
7) UGA
8) UF
9) KY
10) Arky
11) Vandy
12) Auburn - worst fans in SEC
13) Texas A&M - weirdest group of people I ever seen. no pregame, male cheerleader, crappy campus

I've been to 10 of the 14 and here's my take.

1. Tennessee - Gotta love the short drive and the mountains. Fans have always been great.
2. LSU - New Orleans, fans are your best friend before the game, hate you during the game, and your best friend again afterwards. All the alcohol you could want.
3. Vanderbilt - Nashville says enough....and usually a W. Can't beat that.
4. Kentucky - Great trip other than their obnoxious, vulgar fans. Pretty drive but don't speed, the Kentucky troopers don't play no games, i learned my lesson. o_O
5. Florida - Other than Florida having 30 yards and 30 points at halftime the time I went, it was fun.
6. Auburn - Nice town. Clemson 2.0 though.
7. Missouri - Very plain jane. Only thing in Columbia is the school. If you go stay in St. Louis, unless it's during the World Series.
8. Georgia - Probably the worst fanbase in the SEC, worse than UK.
9. Mississippi State - Middle of no where. Bring ear plugs, the cowbells don't stop. Don't think I will make this trip again.

Will be adding Texas A&M to the list this season. Booked my flight last night!

Been to 12 out of 14 (all except Arky and A&M). Here's my list...

1. LSU - Yes, the fans are obnoxious initially and the stadium is a tad old and run-down, but the atmosphere is tremendous, especially for a night game, the tailgating is great, and it makes for a great road trip due to New Orleans the night before or after. Plus, the food is awesome and unique.
  2. Ole Miss - LSU-light. Memphis/Beal St substitute for N'awlins/Bourbon St, whereas the tailgating scene in The Grove is exceptional. Plus, there's really not a bad seat in their stadium. Not the loudest venue, but a very pleasant trip.
  3. Kentucky - Terribly underrated, especially if the game coincides with the October racing season at Keeneland. If you miss that, check out the Kentucky Horse Park or any of the local tours of bourbon breweries. Their stadium is quite nice since the upgrades, its typically not unbearably hot like so many other SEC venues, the area is very pretty with all the horse farms, and their basketball environment is 2nd to none. Also, I actually find their fans to be very pleasant. Not sure where the obnoxious comments are coming from as I have never experienced that. If anything, it was the USC fans that were being kinda rude last fall. Only downside is the town is just ok for restaurants and nightlife.
  4. Vandy - Stadium and atmosphere is bush-league but Nashville is a fun city to visit. Plus, it's usually a win so visiting fans go away happy.
  5. Tennessee - I truly despise the school and program, hate Rocky Top, and for a big stadium, it's remarkably cramped. But the setting in the Eastern TN mountains, right on the river, is great and the fans are actually pretty reasonable.
  6. Auburn - Nice stadium, college town, and overall game day atmosphere. Not much to do besides football though and their fans can be unbearable when they win.
  7. Alabama - Also a nice stadium and college town, just with the understandable air of superiority that comes with winning so many championships
  8. Florida - I know it's renowned for being loud, but I just don't like the place. Arrogant fans, doesn't have a genuine southern feel at all, jorts and game jerseys worn by a bunch of obnoxious frat boys from NY or NJ. And it's the polar opposite of most SEC schools where the girls all dress up and look great. At UF, they dress like they couldn't care less.
  9. Missouri - Yawn
  10. Miss St - Hate the cowbells. Much worse in person than on TV. Dry county, middle of nowhere, etc. No redeeming qualities IYAM.
I didn't rank South Carolina or Georgia because they are both technically "home" games for me and I therefore can't be truly unbiased. But I'll comment on each as I think they are both great in their own way:
  • South Carolina - Among the most underrated game day atmospheres in the country with Sandstorm, 2001, the Cockaboose railroad, and the massive tailgating scene with much-improved tailgating areas. Columbia also has good restaurants and nightlife. Only downside is that the stadium is off-campus so it lacks that traditional campus feel.
  • Georgia - USC fans constantly harp on Dawg fans being obnoxious, but if you see this place from their perspective, its pretty great. Gorgeous stadium and setting right in the heart of campus, the view from the Sanford Bridge, tons of traditions, very colorful (sea of red in the stands), great tailgating scene, legendary college town with awesome nightlife, etc. Hard to find a place where a game captures the essence of what college football is all about better than Athens.

Last edited:

1. LSU - Yes, the fans are obnoxious initially and the stadium is a tad old and run-down, but the atmosphere is tremendous, especially for a night game, the tailgating is great, and it makes for a great road trip due to New Orleans the night before or after. Plus, the food is awesome and unique.
  2. Ole Miss - LSU-light. Memphis/Beal St substitute for N'awlins/Bourbon St, whereas the tailgating scene in The Grove is exceptional. Plus, there's really not a bad seat in their stadium. Not the loudest venue, but a very pleasant trip.
  3. Kentucky - Terribly underrated, especially if the game coincides with the October racing season at Keeneland. If you miss that, check out the Kentucky Horse Park or any of the local tours of bourbon breweries. Their stadium is quite nice since the upgrades, its typically not unbearably hot like so many other SEC venues, the area is very pretty with all the horse farms, and their basketball environment is 2nd to none. Also, I actually find their fans to be very pleasant. Not sure where the obnoxious comments are coming from as I have never experienced that. If anything, it was the USC fans that were being kinda rude last fall. Only downside is the town is just ok for restaurants and nightlife.
  4. Vandy - Stadium and atmosphere is bush-league but Nashville is a fun city to visit. Plus, it's usually a win so visiting fans go away happy.
  5. Tennessee - I truly despise the school and program, hate Rocky Top, and for a big stadium, it's remarkably cramped. But the setting in the Eastern TN mountains, right on the river, is great and the fans are actually pretty reasonable.
  6. Auburn - Nice stadium, college town, and overall game day atmosphere. Not much to do besides football though and their fans can be unbearable when they win.
  7. Alabama - Also a nice stadium and college town, just with the understandable air of superiority that comes with winning so many championships
  8. Florida - I know it's renowned for being loud, but I just don't like the place. Arrogant fans, doesn't have a genuine southern feel at all, jorts and game jerseys worn by a bunch of obnoxious frat boys from NY or NJ. And it's the polar opposite of most SEC schools where the girls all dress up and look great. At UF, they dress like they couldn't care less.
  9. Missouri - Yawn
  10. Miss St - Hate the cowbells. Much worse in person than on TV. Dry county, middle of nowhere, etc. No redeeming qualities IYAM.
I didn't rank South Carolina or Georgia because they are both technically "home" games for me and I therefore can't be truly unbiased. But I'll comment on each as I think they are both great in their own way:
  • South Carolina - Among the most underrated game day atmospheres in the country with Sandstorm, 2001, the Cockaboose railroad, and the massive tailgating scene with much-improved tailgating areas. Columbia also has good restaurants and nightlife. Only downside is that the stadium is off-campus so it lacks that traditional campus feel.
  • Georgia - USC fans constantly harp on Dawg fans being obnoxious, but if you see this place from their perspective, its pretty great. Gorgeous stadium and setting right in the heart of campus, the view from the Sanford Bridge, tons of traditions, very colorful (sea of red in the stands), great tailgating scene, legendary college town with awesome nightlife, etc. Hard to find a place where a game captures the essence of what college football is all about better than Athens.

Great post. Only thing I'd change is to switch Tennessee and Auburn. Nailed it other than that

Kentucky - Terribly underrated, especially if the game coincides with the October racing season at Keeneland. If you miss that, check out the Kentucky Horse Park or any of the local tours of bourbon breweries. Their stadium is quite nice since the upgrades, its typically not unbearably hot like so many other SEC venues, the area is very pretty with all the horse farms, and their basketball environment is 2nd to none. Also, I actually find their fans to be very pleasant. Not sure where the obnoxious comments are coming from as I have never experienced that. If anything, it was the USC fans that were being kinda rude last fall. Only downside is the town is just ok for restaurants and nightlife.

I was going to say something about our fans in KY but figured I would get rocked by the board. You are exactly right. Our fans seemed uppity and elitist up there. The KY fans on the other hand shared everything with me and were extremely friendly. Hell, they even smuggled bottles of bourbon in and shared. Then turns out the guy I'm sitting beside runs cattle and is friends with the Happy Cow owners. Small world. I love KY. Tons to do. Bourbon trail, horses, etc.

Reactions: wildcatwolverine
The question is which is your favorite, not which you go to most often.
And if we hardly play there, like once every 12 years, most people haven't been so therefore cant give an opinion on it. Pretty simple concept. How many times has Texas played at the Grove? You realize we haven't been in the SEC that long right? But I will let you know next year.

Probably Vandy. I've been to a lot of road games. Haven't been to Missouri, A and M or LSU yet.

Why?
1. We usually win (but man it sucks when you lose and a bunch of nerds are laughing at you)
2. Nashville is a great town, plenty to do
3. Even if you're at the top of the stadium it's like being lower deck at Williams Brice.

All these things are true, and I also enjoy Vandy trips. But I want to put in a vote for Ole Miss. Stay in Tupelo and go to Malone's Fish and Steak on Friday night. Also, even though visitors park in a big paved lot down below the stadium, those who venture into the Grove (which is everything they claim it is) and act right are extremely well treated. They'll offer you a chair and some of their food as well. The stadium, though smaller than ours, is nice. They have an inside concourse at their south end of the type I think we need when we finally redo the north end zone of our stadium.

And if we hardly play there, like once every 12 years, most people haven't been so therefore cant give an opinion on it. Pretty simple concept. How many times has Texas played at the Grove? You realize we haven't been in the SEC that long right? But I will let you know next year.

Texas played football there in 2012 and the Texas fans gave it rave reviews. I am not sure other than places like Hawaii or Pepperdine (baseball) that any place has ranked higher.

I like Georgia and Florida. I hate Tennessee, it is an 80,000 seat stadium with 100,000 people packed in. You got about 9.3" of ass space. You have to stand sideways like a barbershop quartet to watch the game. I would rather spend a weekend in prison than to go to a night game at LSU. The cons behave better.

Reactions: 67gamecock
I like Georgia and Florida. I hate Tennessee, it is an 80,000 seat stadium with 100,000 people packed in. You got about 9.3" of ass space. You have to stand sideways like a barbershop quartet to watch the game. I would rather spend a weekend in prison than to go to a night game at LSU. The cons behave better.
That sir, is correct. You can also see seat numbers that were partially erased to make 2 1/2 seats into 3 seats.

Ole Miss is my favorite for the following reasons:
1. Stay in Memphis - love Beale Street- pleasant drive to Oxford.
2. The Grove - great place, good, cheap parking nearby, nice fans with great food in their classy tailgates.
3. Stadium is small with good viewing.
4. Expect a win when you go to Ole Miss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT