ADVERTISEMENT

What Muschamp said on South Carolina's QB battle

If there is a bad decision to be made WM will make it. Starting Hill over RH is a bad decision.

Comparing the performance of the two QBs is like comparing apples and oranges. One played in a no-name Conference and the other in the SEC. Additionally, its not like RH played in a well-coached offense. Add to boot, he had an HC who interfered with the playcalling. Ryan at another School, sans the USC problems, would have developed.

If there is a bad decision to be made WM will make it. Starting Hill over RH is a bad decision.

Comparing the performance of the two QBs is like comparing apples and oranges. One played in a no-name Conference and the other in the SEC. Additionally, its not like RH played in a well-coached offense. Add to boot, he had an HC who interfered with the playcalling. Ryan at another School, sans the USC problems, would have developed.
Ryan was not ready to start in the SEC last year. He was put in a bad situation and he did the best he could. Injuries slowed him down but I don’t think he could’ve done much better. With that being said; he does have a years experience in a power five conference. And his teammates know him and trust him, and that should be taking into consideration. But we can’t ignore the fact that we have a new “offensive coordinator“ whose gonna have a say with how “things play out.’ And he should, cause he’s the one whose got to answer for the offensive production on that side of the ball.

RH is in a completely new offense without a warmup game. CH knows this offense and by the few people who's seen him says he's very accurate. Bobo sees both every day. If CH starts, I'm cool with that. Starting the year doesn't mean you are the starter all year. This competition will make RH better.

e1KcSV.gif

I wonder if this means we won't see RH in a game unless Hill gets hurt?

It could mean we won't see RH play here again. I'd suspect he'll transfer, especially if Hill takes advantage of the opportunity to come back again next year.

If Hill is the better player at this point he should start . Sucks for Ryan because he got thrown to the wolves , played hurt and moved his entire family across the country but life ain’t fair . Muschamp reads the papers and he knows he’s lost the fanbase and could be out of a job if this year goes south . He’s gonna start the guy who Bobo thinks will give them the best shot . That being said if the competition is neck and neck Ryan should get the nod in my opinion. Honestly , with the absolute lack of any semblance of playmakers on offense Patrick Mahomes wouldn’t be successful here so I think it’s kind of a mute point .

... so I think it’s kind of a mute point .
Moot.

Mute is silent or sound dampened.

Moot is debatable, or irrelevant.

That said, I agree. If we had playmakers, it wouldn't matter which one starts because we'd have people to help them both look better. Since they're comparable, who ever has the "it factor" today should get the nod. You go with the hot hand. If there are no playmakers, you take the better athlete who may fall a little short elsewhere because he can make plays in ways that takes the stress off of other players. But they have to be close enough that it's a decision, rather than just common sense to go with one or the other.

If Hill is the better player at this point he should start . Sucks for Ryan because he got thrown to the wolves , played hurt and moved his entire family across the country but life ain’t fair . Muschamp reads the papers and he knows he’s lost the fanbase and could be out of a job if this year goes south . He’s gonna start the guy who Bobo thinks will give them the best shot . That being said if the competition is neck and neck Ryan should get the nod in my opinion. Honestly , with the absolute lack of any semblance of playmakers on offense Patrick Mahomes wouldn’t be successful here so I think it’s kind of a mute point .

Generally, I'm in favor of the better player starting. However, there's a lot goes into the decision. Hill is a grad transfer, so he's not part of our program's future (not beyond next year if he were to come back). Barring a transfer, which may not be unlikely, Hilinksi is here for 3 more years. Looking at this year's schedule, will our fortunes really be that much different starting Hill over Hilinksi? He may be a little better than Hilinksi, but not enough to carry us to anything like a 7-3 record. We're probably a 4 or 5 win team this year, no matter what. So what do we really gain by starting Hill this year? At least with Hilinski, you're giving him more live game experience to further his development for the future of the program. For me it's a balance of what does it get you now vs what does it get you in the future. The benefit developing RH outweighs the negligible positive impact it would have to start Hill.

All that said, my personal belief is that the coaches have moved on from Hilinksi. They are obviously pretty pumped about Doty and Stockton is coming in 2022, and he will not be riding pine. It's kind of unfortunate given all the pomp surrounding Ryan's arrival here....highly touted prospect all the way from California. Then his family moving across the country on top of all that. That kind of stuff can't factor in Champ's thinking. It would just be an unceremonius end to one of the more high profile QB recruits we've had.

Mahomes would not be successful under Muschamp. Forget playmakers.

Generally, I'm in favor of the better player starting. However, there's a lot goes into the decision. Hill is a grad transfer, so he's not part of our program's future (not beyond next year if he were to come back). Barring a transfer, which may not be unlikely, Hilinksi is here for 3 more years. Looking at this year's schedule, will our fortunes really be that much different starting Hill over Hilinksi? He may be a little better than Hilinksi, but not enough to carry us to anything like a 7-3 record. We're probably a 4 or 5 win team this year, no matter what. So what do we really gain by starting Hill this year? At least with Hilinski, you're giving him more live game experience to further his development for the future of the program. For me it's a balance of what does it get you now vs what does it get you in the future. The benefit developing RH outweighs the negligible positive impact it would have to start Hill.

All that said, my personal belief is that the coaches have moved on from Hilinksi. They are obviously pretty pumped about Doty and Stockton is coming in 2022, and he will not be riding pine. It's kind of unfortunate given all the pomp surrounding Ryan's arrival here....highly touted prospect all the way from California. Then his family moving across the country on top of all that. That kind of stuff can't factor in Champ's thinking. It would just be an unceremonius end to one of the more high profile QB recruits we've had.

I agree with everything you said . Problem is that even if Ryan is the future Muschamp might be getting the feeling that he’s not so he’s gonna do all he can to win now . If he thinks Hill can get him to .500 instead of another losing season he will . Personally if Muschamp is still here Doty and Stockton will just the club of big time QB recruits Muschamp couldn’t develop . Honestly with the lack of players around them , Both Hill and Hillinki are both in for long seasons , no matter who starts

Reactions: Brace1

I don't think they are making a decision based on last year's performances. That's kinda the purpose of training camp. Otherwise they would have made the decision at the beginning of camp, not at the end.

You got the whole family to move from California and they live across the lake from you and you are going to move him to back up. That sounds like a very tough option.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I don't think they are making a decision based on last year's performances. That's kinda the purpose of training camp. Otherwise they would have made the decision at the beginning of camp, not at the end.

Has Muschamp ever made the right decision after training camp? He is an offensive interfering make the worst decision coach. That he is here in 2020 is a tribute to the slickness of Tanner.

Ryan Hilinski is a very good quarterback, and from what I’ve read about him, an even better person. He was put in a very bad spot last year, but he didn’t cower; he gave it his best. The kid was knocked to hell and back against Alabama and Georgia. I have no idea who starts against the viles, but I do believe this offense will gladly go to battle with RH as their leader.
That being said, I’m thinking we’ll see some combination of him, Hill, and Doty this season . Muschamp has his back against the wall. This is his last shot to prove himself as HC.

Has Muschamp ever made the right decision after training camp? He is an offensive interfering make the worst decision coach. That he is here in 2020 is a tribute to the slickness of Tanner.
Whether he makes a good or bad decision is irrelevant to my post. I merely indicated that whatever decision is made, it will be made as a result of training camp, not how they played last year.

Why South Carolina why? Why do we make the most stupid decisions? Hiring Tanner the most clueless AD in the SEC!! Followed by all the RT mediocre coach hires! We reap what we sow. I hate to see how we will be beaten by the other SEC teams.

Our downfall coincides with the RT hire.

I agree with everything you said . Problem is that even if Ryan is the future Muschamp might be getting the feeling that he’s not so he’s gonna do all he can to win now . If he thinks Hill can get him to .500 instead of another losing season he will . Personally if Muschamp is still here Doty and Stockton will just the club of big time QB recruits Muschamp couldn’t develop . Honestly with the lack of players around them , Both Hill and Hillinki are both in for long seasons , no matter who starts
If Hill equals .500 or better and Hilinski would be under .500 it’s a no brained to go with Hill. The goal is to win games and you build to the future through wins not losses. I still think it would be pretty telling that the kid who was in your program for his second year is beaten out by a gimp transfer who didn’t have a P5 offer. You have to coach to win even if it means that you are acknowledging your failure as a player developer.

Hillinski has his charity riding on his success to a degree. It gets alot more attention if he's playing. After last year if he is benched this year, I think he might move on to another spot where he can reenergize his future as a starter and his charity. Right now, all charities have been sent to the back of the line against all the social justice background. Might as well sit this year out, start anew next year. IMHO, I think he should start here, but I think it will be Hill.

All true and I certainly agree. If they are even play Hilinski. Hill is not the future and right now we have to look to the future. However, Muschamp is going to scratch and claw for 5-6 wins to keep his job so he will sell out to do that this year.

Hillinski has his charity riding on his success to a degree. It gets alot more attention if he's playing. After last year if he is benched this year, I think he might move on to another spot where he can reenergize his future as a starter and his charity. Right now, all charities have been sent to the back of the line against all the social justice background. Might as well sit this year out, start anew next year. IMHO, I think he should start here, but I think it will be Hill.
Based on what? What have you seen in the daily practices and scrimmages from these 2 QBs that leads you to this opinion?

Has Doty even been given a shot at the QB position or has he been permanently moved to receiver?

The guy projected as a high level power 5 starter and I haven't heard his name mentioned...

Has Doty even been given a shot at the QB position or has he been permanently moved to receiver?

The guy projected as a high level power 5 starter and I haven't heard his name mentioned...
Last heard he was back to getting QB snaps.

Freshman wont start at QB unless somebody gets hurt.

Sad state of affairs. The season is about to start and they have no idea who the starter is? Different OC, same old problem.

You bring is new OC and he has his favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT