ADVERTISEMENT

What One Player From Each Era Would You Choose?

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
Some of you guys can go further back than I can, but what ONE player would you take from each era and add to THIS 2018 team to make it better? This isn’t the best player from each era, or even your favorite player, but players that can meet our needs. Since some players played for multiple coaches you can be creative.

Paul Dietzel:
Jim Carlen: George Rogers (RB)
Richard Bell:
Joe Morrison: Brad Edwards (S)
Sparky Woods: Tony Watkins (S / ST)
Brad Scott: John Abraham (DE)
Lou Holtz: Sheldon Brown (DB)
Steve Spurrier: Jadeveon Clowney (DE / LB)
Will Muschamp: Skai Moore (LB)

I feel Bentley is capable at QB so I chose to pass on Taneyhill during the Sparky era and choose the high leaping, hard hitting, cast wearing Tony Watkins instead. As you can see I feel most of our needs are on defense. I’m sure there are O-linemen that should be on here too. It was tough to leave a few names off the list.

Thoughts? Your list?

Last edited:
Some of you guys can go further back than I can, but what ONE player would you take from each era and add to THIS 2018 team to make it better? This isn’t the best player from each era, or even your favorite player, but players that can meet our needs. Since some players played for multiple coaches you can be creative.

Paul Dietzel:
Richard Bell:
Joe Morrison: Brad Edwards (S)
Sparky Woods: Tony Watkins (S / ST)
Lou Holtz: Sheldon Brown (DB)
Will Muschamp: Skai Moore (LB)

I feel Bentley is capable at QB so I chose to pass on Taneyhill during the Sparky era and choose the high leaping, hard hitting, cast wearing Tony Watkins instead. As you can see I feel most of our needs are on defense. I’m sure there are O-linemen that should be on here too. It was tough to leave a few names off the list.

Thoughts? Your list?
Dietzel: John LeHeup - Defensive Tackle

JC great but have to go Lattimore

The way I did it was once these players were added, they met the need. So I took George Rogers over Lattimore. One of the factors in that selection was that if I took Rogers (which wasn’t that difficult of a choice) I could have Clowney.

Just felt we needed more help on the DL and the Spurrier was loaded with talent there.

Last edited:
Paul Dietzel: Bobby Bryant (CB)
Richard Bell: Andrew Provance (DT)
Joe Morrison: Sterling Sharpe WR
Sparky Woods: Wont be popular but give me Corey Miller (LB/Buck)
Lou Holtz: Travelle Wharton (OT)
Will Muschamp: Hurst (TE)

Kind of need to list my runner ups, lots of good choices

I would take these guys, but our running game would be awesome and OL and Sterling and Hurst would make Bentley happy. Our pass rush would be unstoppable, and I got Bobby Bryant helping in the secondary and blocking kicks on ST and scoring TD's.

These pass rushers would make any safety look good so I will keep our current group. What Muschamp and Robinson and Thompson would do with Clowney vs Ward and Deke Adams did would be awesome to see

No kicker for me We should not need to kick field goals with those additions on O is my opinion :)

If we are out of Parker's range, just go for it

Last edited:
Paul Dietzel: Jeff Grantz (QB)
Richard Bell: Andrew Provance (DT)
Joe Morrison: Sterling Sharpe WR
Sparky Woods: Harold Green RB
Lou Holtz: Travelle Wharton (OL)
Will Muschamp: Zack Bailey (OG)

Kind of need to list my runner ups, lots of good choices

Agree! We should’ve done Offense / Defense. All great players that would make us better. I just would still be worried about our secondary. But still a good list to me.

But we already have Bryan Edwards on the current team. Again, this isn’t a best player from each era...it’s taking a past player, putting it on this team to meet the needs where we have weaknesses.

So my attempt to get 2 Zack Bailey's a 2017 and a 2018 already on the team was not allowed, changing to Hurst

Reactions: Carolina4
I see. I wasn’t even thinking that way but it’s interesting. Heck, you guys can clone Edwards and Bailey if you’d like. Just not sure how the NCAA will feel about it.

Sparky: The guys who defined the positive parts of the Sparky era for me are Robert Brooks, Corey Miller, Norman Greene, and Tony Watkins.
Brad: I think of Steve Tannyhill, Anthony Wright, Duce Staley, and John Abraham.

As for picking a guy from each era, I'd take Corey Miller and John Abraham. You can never have too many pass rushers.

Reactions: Carolina4
Billy Gambrell, Bobby Bryant, Jeff Grantz, Warren Muir, Monty Means and Clowney

Chief Hendrix....time to go to WAR Nasty Boy! Believe he was a Sparky Era. Always need that nasty SOB LB.

Morrison era ... Joe Lee Dunn's blitz masters. I agree with you, he was the nastiest ever!

I read one article where Chief said he hated clemP so much, that he would run over the orange cones in highway construction zones.

With our safety position with question marks I’d have to but DJ on my team. Bigger need than RB. I love Marcus but dexterity was always an issue. I would love to have Jasper Brinkley also, wasn’t he a Holtz recruit?

Alex Hawkins Giese Sp? Hawk could and did play offense and defense (No platoon back in Hawk's day) He could run the ball, catch the ball, throw the ball, kick the ball, return kicks and play quality defense. As versatile as anyone who ever played for us.

Alex Hawkins Giese Sp? Hawk could and did play offense and defense (No platoon back in Hawk's day) He could run the ball, catch the ball, throw the ball, kick the ball, return kicks and play quality defense. As versatile as anyone who ever played for us.

Hawkins played 1956 to 1958, I didnt see the Warren Giese ERA offered

I would love to pick from the W.H. Whaley ERA as well

End of Deitzel era. The most dominant run blocking OLinemen in our history. Steve Coursen

Nice one, one tough dude

0.jpg

Where is our biggest need?

QB- Not sure you waste a pick here. Think Jake can be as productive as anyone we've ever had.

RB- Tough to turn down a Heisman winner and/or a should-have-been Heisman winner. Think we're solid though

WR- Even though we've had all-american caliber receivers, I don't think you waste a pick on one of them with the talent we have on this team.

TE- See above

OL- Think you need to beef up here.

DL- The impact someone like a John Abraham, Kalimba Edwards, Clowney can make is too much to pass up.

LB- Same as above. Holloman, Wadley, Brinkley, etc.

DB- Same. Plenty of good options from Holtz/Spurrier eras to take here. Or Edwards as mentioned.

Paul Dietzel: Bobby Bryant (CB)
These pass rushers would make any safety look good so I will keep our current group. What Muschamp and Robinson and Thompson would do with Clowney vs Ward and Deke Adams did would be awesome to see
Jeez. Could you imagine.
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT