ADVERTISEMENT

What opposing coaches supposedly said about the Gamecocks...

heavycock

Sep 23, 2002
...for Lindy's pre-season mag. Don't shoot the messenger.

This should be fun 😂

I mean, with Beamer its pure speculation on how he will do , but keeping Muschamp was not the answer, I dont think we wander in the desert for 40 years, at least I hope not :)

On the NFL players on defense we had and the results, I have posted similar, nothing ground breaking on that statement.

To sum up, the guy says how could we perform so bad on defense with all those future NFL players, but we should of kept the Defensive Guru Head Coach that produced those results?

Hmmm, Seems a little contradictory from paragraph to paragraph.

I mean, with Beamer its pure speculation on how he will do , but keeping Muschamp was not the answer, I dont think we wander in the desert for 40 years, at least I hope not :)

On the NFL players on defense we had and the results, I have posted similar, nothing ground breaking on that statement.

To sum up, the guy says how could we perform so bad on defense with all those future NFL players, but we should of kept the Defensive Guru Head Coach that produced those results?

I’ve always read these as 3 comments by 3 different coaches. I’m sure the coaches aren’t head coaches either.

It's funny how the first comment says they should have kept Muschamp, and the 3rd comment points out that the defense (Muschamp's supposed area of expertise) has been putrid, especially given the personnel.
It's comments from different coaches. And the "keep Muschamp" crack was a dig at Beamer, not an endorsement of WM.

Reactions: heavycock

That is not what the post said. Those are different statements from different people. The same person is not saying our D coaching was terrible (and it was) and we should have kept Muschamp (no).

I'm not believing any coach said those things - on the record or off. Without attribution, the writer can claim anything. I'm calling BS on it straight across the board. This is the same type of crap you read every year.

I have to agree. These quotes are oddly specific and not really the areas that coaches comment on or discuss. The “voice” of these don’t really sound like coaches, but more like a few sports writers.

I have to agree. These quotes are oddly specific and not really the areas that coaches comment on or discuss. The “voice” of these don’t really sound like coaches, but more like a few sports writers.
You can safely disregard something that essentially repeats itself every year and is not attributed to specific people.

Reactions: Tmac069
That is not what the post said. Those are different statements from different people. The same person is not saying our D coaching was terrible (and it was) and we should have kept Muschamp (no).

Thanks, with no source sited, I got confused :)

Reactions: USC2USC

That’s why this hire was so important. If Beamer fails, you’re talking about probably 15 years of us being irrelevant before we even have a chance to be relevant again.

That’s why this hire was so important. If Beamer fails, you’re talking about probably 15 years of us being irrelevant before we even have a chance to be relevant again.

I guess its a good thing Ray did the hiring, and yes

tenor.gif

It's in Beamer's hands to attempt to unwind the thoughts/feelings of the disaster that was Will Muschamp.

We'll see what happens on the field, but his attitude, energy and communication skills have already been far superior.

Imagine walking into a program and one of the first things you say is "I can sell ice to Eskimos?" Is that not essentially saying - "Thanks for the ridiculous contract. Your school sucks. However, I'm sooo saavy with my words/influence that I can con recruits into coming here...just like I conned the administration."

Awesome Will ~ Thanks for everything!

Did some coaches actually say this to Lindy's magazine. Maybe.
Do coaches talk like this among themselves about other programs ? Definitely.
There is nothing I read that even warrants raising an eyebrow, and there is nothing I read that has not been said on this forum about the football team ad nauseam.

Last edited:
No different from gamecocks cheering for Bowden to keep his job. I loved that guy coaching in Pickens.
he was the best. Sounds like some cock envy going on this off season.

“All In” on the Beamer Train.

I think the same thing now as I've always thought: this is tawdry click-bait. This is somebody putting his belittling thoughts in the mouths of imaginary people.
Possibly, but this assumes there was no off-the-record/anonymous survey that pretty much only expressed thoughts that many other people have been doing ad nauseum. There is no way one can definitively do that.

Possibly, but this assumes there was no off-the-record/anonymous survey that pretty much only expressed thoughts that many other people have been doing ad nauseum. There is no way one can definitively do that.
For my part, it also assumes that, even were there some kind of survey, the article has nothing to do with the input received. Definitive or not, I can conclude it unabashedly. This is a gimmick formula designed to attract a certain kind of impressionable reader.

For my part, it also assumes that, even were there some kind of survey, the article has nothing to do with the input received. Definitive or not, I can conclude it unabashedly. This is a gimmick formula designed to attract a certain kind of impressionable reader.
I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one, King.

Long days and pleasant nights, sir.

Reactions: king ward
It's a good thing none of them know anything about this new staff and this year's team.

I didn't buy the magazines...and magazines don't form my opinions. But one thing many of you are missing here; if you don't think assistant coaches AREN'T thinking the things said on that tweet....then why didn't more than 2 "wanted" assistant football coaches come to USC?

These two have reasons for coming here....that have all to do with themselves and not the University or football program.
Stepp - the best hire without question including the HC....easy to see. He's at Arky ...playing in the SEC West...with a first time HC that has max 2-3 years left before a firing. He knows where that will end up. Yeah, Yeah...I know he's from SC. But, if LSU was hiring he would've gone there too...and he's not from Louisiana.
Gray - long time VT guy.... so he knows he has a chance to move up and has long been part of the Beamer family.

It's a good thing none of them know anything about this new staff and this year's team.
They don't know anything about the staff because by and large...mostly none of them have done anything considered substantial in D1 football yet. That's why expectations are what they are, and that's why you have journalists, fans, opposing fans and most sane individuals expecting a train wreck because anything else would be a miracle.
USC getting 8-9 wins this year or next would literally be the first time a program at a level we are at, hired a bunch of (seriously don't mean this offensively....but is true) "C" coaches, brought in a couple years worth of D2 and smaller college players to fill a roster and then went on to wild success. It would be a bigger story than 'Rudy', bigger than Holtz's 0-11 in '99 to back to back Outback Bowls in '00 and '01, bigger than the '80 Hockey team. So...maybe there is a silver lining here if they can pull something off.

I didn't buy the magazines...and magazines don't form my opinions. But one thing many of you are missing here; if you don't think assistant coaches AREN'T thinking the things said on that tweet....then why didn't more than 2 "wanted" assistant football coaches come to USC?

These two have reasons for coming here....that have all to do with themselves and not the University or football program.
Stepp - the best hire without question including the HC....easy to see. He's at Arky ...playing in the SEC West...with a first time HC that has max 2-3 years left before a firing. He knows where that will end up. Yeah, Yeah...I know he's from SC. But, if LSU was hiring he would've gone there too...and he's not from Louisiana.
Gray - long time VT guy.... so he knows he has a chance to move up and has long been part of the Beamer family.
No argument about what people "think". That's a different narrative altogether. Mine is not about what people "think", but about this cheap and now predictable article format that some people salivate over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT