ADVERTISEMENT

What was / is your favorite Sitcom of all time? I know this is going to be

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
a generalization thing but it will be fun to see the differences in likes for TV Sitcoms for different generations.

Going way back I have to start with

Father Knows Best
Leave it to Beaver
moving forward in no particular order
Sanford and Son
All in the Family
Frazier
Home Improvement
Goldbergs
Schooled
Friends

I'm leaving out a lot but I feel sure many of you will add a lot to the list.

Last edited:
a generalization thing but it will be fun to see the differences in likes for TV Sitcoms in different generations.

Father Knows Best
Leave it to Beaver
Sanford and Son
All in the Family
Frazier
Home Improvement
Goldbergs
Schooled
Friends

Seinfeld, Sopranos, My Name is Earl

a generalization thing but it will be fun to see the differences in likes for TV Sitcoms in different generations.

Father Knows Best
Leave it to Beaver
Sanford and Son
All in the Family
Frazier
Home Improvement
Goldbergs
Schooled
Friends

Sanford and Son laps this field. I watched it as a kid and still catch an episode from time to time.
Three's Company was highly underrated in the early 1980's.

I don't think I have one all-time favorite, but some of the contenders would be:

Andy Griffith is hard to beat for longevity. Even my 13 year old watches it on his own.
Seinfeld
King of Queens
Everybody Loves Raymond
Cheers
Frasier
The Goldbergs
The Middle
Arrested Development
The Office
Parks & Rec

I forgot about Three's Company. Now that show was way ahead of it's time. By today's standards it was Sunday School stuff but back in the day it was something else.
Mr Furley would always walk in (landlords could just walk in to the apartments) and Jack and Chrissy would be in the bathroom and Jack would be saying, fixing the toilet, that he needed to screw it in harder and Furley's (Don Knotts) eyes would go full out thinking that there was something more going on than was truly occurring. Classic Don Knotts.

I actually remember the pilot episode of Andy Griffith when it first aired. I was still in high school.

It as on an episode of a Danny Thomas sitcom “Make Room for Daddy” where Danny is driving through North Carolina And arrested by Andy for speeding, etc.

Andy was the sheriff, prosecutor and Judge all in one.

When actual Andy series debuted later I was really surprised how it all came out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brace1 and boykinlp
The Office
Wings
Cheers
All in the Family
M*A*S*H*
Sanford and Son
The Jeffersons
Green Acres
Newhart
Everybody loves Raymond
Home Improvement
Last Man Standing
The Honeymooners
Parks and Rec
Frazier
I Love Lucy
Dick van Dyke
Mary Tyler Moore
Patty Duke
Mr Ed

I love them all... Favorite of that group is either The Office or Wings.

EDIT: Still missed a few I liked like Married with Children and Becker

Mr Furley would always walk in (landlords could just walk in to the apartments) and Jack and Chrissy would be in the bathroom and Jack would be saying, fixing the toilet, that he needed to screw it in harder and Furley's (Don Knotts) eyes would go full out thinking that there was something more going on than was truly occurring. Classic Don Knotts.
Remember the Three's Company episode where somebody overheard somebody else but they only caught a portion of the conversation and completely misunderstood what they heard? Which episode was that? Oh, yeah, all of them. Laughing

Coach
WKRP (surprised this hasn"t been mentioned)
Seinfeld
Newhart

I watched Three's Company just to look at Suzanne Summers but I never found it the least bit funny. You can only watch John Ritter trip over furniture so many times before it gets old.
Haha. I thought about listing WKRP, but I didnt think it had the consistency as some of the others. But, man, the Thanksgiving episode is one of the all time classics of comedy television.

Newhart was a great one also.

Remember the Three's Company episode where somebody overheard somebody else but they only caught a portion of the conversation and completely misunderstood what they heard? Which episode was that? Oh, yeah, all of them. Laughing
That show was well known for beating it's audience over the head with dramatic irony.

Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm

I do not watch many sitcoms because I hate canned laughter. I will not watch a show that uses canned laughter.

Father Knows Best
Leave it to Beaver
Sanford and Son
All in the Family
Frazier
Home Improvement
Goldbergs
Schooled
Friends

I really liked Night Court.

The Office
Wings
Cheers
All in the Family
M*A*S*H*
Sanford and Son
The Jeffersons
Green Acres
Newhart
Everybody loves Raymond
Home Improvement
Last Man Standing
The Honeymooners
Parks and Rec
Frazier
I Love Lucy
Dick van Dyke
Mary Tyler Moore
Patty Duke
Mr Ed

I love them all... Favorite of that group is either The Office or Wings.

EDIT: Still missed a few I liked like Married with Children and Becker
This is very strange. I never heard of your first two. How is that even possible? Others have mentioned them so they must have been good. Watched all of the other shows you listed, however. WTH?

So many good one's listed so far. I know I'm going to forget some but here goes.
Honeymooners
Beverly Hillbillies
Cheers
Wings
Newhart
Good Times
Frasier
King Of Queens
Night Court
Sienfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Mom

My two all time favorites
Friends
Taxi

Last edited:
My favorite is The Andy Griffith Show.

I’ve read nearly every book about the show, as well as nearly every book written by actors that appeared regularly on the show, been to the Andy Griffith Museum several times, have an original Playbill of Andy’s first broadway show, have approximately 20 pictures of backstage scenes from the show hanging in my garage, and have communicated personally several times (including recently) with one of Don Knotts’ brothers in law pertaining to some personal details which was very insightful.

I was born just after the show went off the air. My youngest child is now a big fan. She can recite lines and often watches it with me each night.

Taxi was good until they replaced the funniest dude on the show (Jim) with Latka. (Andy Kaufman who unfortunately passed away at 35).

Taxi was good until they replaced the funniest dude on the show (Jim) with Latka. (Andy Kaufman who unfortunately passed away at 35).
The character Jim did not replace Latka. Jim was introduced during the 2nd season.
They were both on the show till the end of its run.

Not even close. All in the Family is #1, with Sanford & Son coming in 2nd. I might vote #3 as The Jeffersons and #4 as I love Lucy.
I guess that some of the posters around here will call me a racist because of my love for Archie and Edith. My girls love to watch that show. Some of those episodes were ground breaking. If you have ever seen the episode where George Jefferson's son brings home his biracial fiance, along with her white father and black mother, it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen, particularly when George Jefferson has a conversation with Archie Bunker at the punch bowl. They would not dare to show that today. The snowflakes would melt down.....

Last edited:
Not even close. All in the Family is #1, with Sanford & Son coming in 2nd. Although I guess that some of the posters around here will call me a racist because of that.....

Why? All in the Family made Archie look like a fool for his racially insensitive beliefs. (Carroll O’Connor was actually quite liberal in real life)

my favorite episode was when Archie went on tv to argue for handing out pistols to everyone when they got on a plane.

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT