ADVERTISEMENT

What was the coldest game at WB you ever attended?***

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
The coldest game I ever attended at WB was USC vs Arkansas. I can't remember the exact year but it was one of Spurrier's first years, Blake Mitchell was the QB. Man, I like to froze before that game was over. It was one of those games we completely beat ourselves. The defining play for us was right before the end of the first half. The Arkansas QB throw a pass into the end zone. The Arkansas receiver was in the end zone but was not in a position to catch the ball. Well, one of our defensive backs tried to intercept the ball and as he was trying to intercept the ball he batted the ball right into the hands of the Arkansas receiver for a TD. Arkansas pulled ahead of us by a significant amount of points but then Blake started throwing the ball super well and we almost won (but fell a little short) in spite of the error made at the end of the first half.

But boy that sure was one cold game and in all of the years I have attended games at WB that was the very coldest. In fact, the 2nd coldest game I ever attended, and I can't remember which game that was, wasn't even close to the Arkansas game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jhstans86
The coldest game I ever attended at WB was vs Arkansas. I can't remember the exact year but it was on of Spurrier's first years, Blake Mitchell was the QB. Man, I like to froze before that game was over. It was one of those games we completely beat ourselves. The defining play for us was right before the end of the first half. The Arkansas QB throw a pass into the end zone. The Arkansas receiver was in the end zone but was not in a position to catch the ball. Well, one of our defensive backs tried to intercept the ball and as he was trying to intercept the ball he batted the ball right into the hands of the Arkansas receiver for a TD. Arkansas pulled ahead of us by a significant amount of points but then Blake started throwing the ball super well and we almost won (but fell a little short) in spite of the error made at the end of the first half.

But boy that sure was one cold game and in all of the years I have attended games at WB that was the very coldest. In fact, the 2nd coldest game I ever attended, and I can't remember which game that was, wasn't even close to the Arkansas game.
Florida — believe it was 1995. Rained all day then Temp dropped 40 degrees in one hour just prior to kick off. Damned cold night — and we got clobbered!

The coldest game I ever attended at WB was vs Arkansas. I can't remember the exact year but it was on of Spurrier's first years, Blake Mitchell was the QB. Man, I like to froze before that game was over. It was one of those games we completely beat ourselves. The defining play for us was right before the end of the first half. The Arkansas QB throw a pass into the end zone. The Arkansas receiver was in the end zone but was not in a position to catch the ball. Well, one of our defensive backs tried to intercept the ball and as he was trying to intercept the ball he batted the ball right into the hands of the Arkansas receiver for a TD. Arkansas pulled ahead of us by a significant amount of points but then Blake started throwing the ball super well and we almost won (but fell a little short) in spite of the error made at the end of the first half.

Florida — believe it was 1995. Rained all day then Temp dropped 40 degrees in one hour just prior to kick off. Damned cold night — and we got clobbered!

Not to mention the 40+ mph wind gusts. I was there too. I think I left at at halftime.

This for me too. At first, my answer to the question was "has it ever gotten cold in Williams-Brice? But you are right about that Florida game. It POURED all day long and stopped just a couple of hours before the the game and then the cold front pushed through fast and hard. I think Florida put up 70 on us that night, or at least it felt like it. If I remember correctly I think the Veterans Day halftime show featured that American fighter pilot who was shot down over Croatia or Bosnia or some such place and he had to live off the land for about a week, eating bugs and such, until rescued.

The coldest football game I ever attended overall was a Montana high school playoff game this past November 4th. The game kicked off at 1pm on a Saturday and it was 13 degrees at kickoff - and nobody remarked about how cold it was.

The game we made Tebow a Heisman winner had some awful winds. It may have been in the 40s, but those gusts were awful.

For an away game the night McFadden ran for 321 was pretty brutal as was the 03 game in Little Rock when Meat got knocked out. In 02 at Neyland it flurried in pregame

Coldest game I've ever been to outside of USC was the 2015 NFC Championship game in Charlotte. Snow and Ice on the ground all weekend

0-59 vs. FSU in 1988.

This is the correct answer and the 87 Clemson game was second, as far as USC games go.
I watched Hartsville play for a State championship at Billy-Brice when Randy Wheeler and the a-hole that played DT for UT (Haynesworth) were Red Foxes , it was the colder than bought of those.

Reactions: NetworkX
Clemson game in Spurrier’s 1st season was pretty cold. I can’t recall being all that cold in WB.

On the road I remember the winds coming off the Tennessee River at Neyland in 2001. We were sitting on the top row. It was already cold but that wind made it feel awful. Had a few cold games there as we used to always play them the last weekend of October.

Florida...1995. Only game I’ve ever left early. My wife was along, so I couldn’t leave her out there (that’s my excuse, and i’m Sticking to it). Never been that cold in SC.

Honorable mention to the Tennessee game in 2014. It snowed that morning in parts of Columbia and the wind was consistently blowing 20-25 mph throughout the game. Not to mention it was Halloween weekend, and I could never recall Columbia being that cold at the end of October.

That was a brutal night, both on the field and in the stands. My wife begged me to leave when we went up by 2 touchdowns, but I refused because of how poorly our defense was that season. I should've listened to her instead of sticking around to witness that mess.

Reactions: SCGCock07
The 1987 Clemson game was frigid.
My boys lost that one but man did we have a great day of tailgating. And damn was it cold. I remember after the game we carried a half full keg from the Farmer's Market up Rosewood to our apartment and drowned our sorrows.

Honorable mention to the Tennessee game in 2014. It snowed that morning in parts of Columbia and the wind was consistently blowing 20-25 mph throughout the game. Not to mention it was Halloween weekend, and I could never recall Columbia being that cold at the end of October.

I attended that game. People who parked near us had pitchers of snow in Gilbert. In fact I think they said they got about 4 inches. The reason I can remember that is because my wife lived in Gilbert for a few years.

That UT was kind of coolest but it paled in comparison to the Arkansas game referenced above.

This for me too. At first, my answer to the question was "has it ever gotten cold in Williams-Brice? But you are right about that Florida game. It POURED all day long and stopped just a couple of hours before the the game and then the cold front pushed through fast and hard. I think Florida put up 70 on us that night, or at least it felt like it. If I remember correctly I think the Veterans Day halftime show featured that American fighter pilot who was shot down over Croatia or Bosnia or some such place and he had to live off the land for about a week, eating bugs and such, until rescued.

The coldest football game I ever attended overall was a Montana high school playoff game this past November 4th. The game kicked off at 1pm on a Saturday and it was 13 degrees at kickoff - and nobody remarked about how cold it was.

uscg1984, where did you transfer from to go to work in Montana, if I may ask? Just curious, but if you transferred from SC to Montana boy did was that a cultural shock weather wise.

Last edited:
That was a brutal night, both on the field and in the stands. My wife begged me to leave when we went up by 2 touchdowns, but I refused because of how poorly our defense was that season. I should've listened to her instead of sticking around to witness that mess.

My cousin and I sat there and watch every miserable play of that game. I still can't believe we lost the game when we were up 14 late in the game. I have seen very few games in my life where a team was up by 14 that late in the game and then ended up losing the game.

Reactions: BigTomE
I attended that game. People who parked near us had pitchers of snow in Gilbert. In fact I think they said they got about 4 inches. The reason I can remember that is because my wife lived in Gilbert for a few years.

That UT was kind of coolest but it paled in comparison to the Arkansas game referenced above.

It was sleeting when we left at halftime. That was the game that they recognized the pilot that was shot down in the former Czech Republic/Bosnia area.

But the coldest for me was Arkansas 2006. My friend, Jennifer, and I left and headed to the car to warm up. We left the men freezing their butts off in the stands.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Definitely 2014 against Tenn. That wind was some of the strongest/coldest I've ever felt that time of year. Coincidentally the same season as the hottest game I've been to.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04

^^^^^^^^ YEP

This is the correct answer and the 87 Clemson game was second, as far as USC games go.
I watched Hartsville play for a State championship at Billy-Brice when Randy Wheeler and the a-hole that played DT for UT (Haynesworth) were Red Foxes , it was the colder than bought of those.
Unless I am mistaken, I was at that game and Walterboro won. I think they attempted one pass.

Coldest was the 1987 Clemson game, did not seem that since we won.

Second - was that 1995 game against Florida, the L made it seem worst. Hated Spurrier after that game.

Coldest college game ever, went to a Furman playoff game once in Dec and it snowed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT