ADVERTISEMENT

What was the hottest football game you ever attended at WB?

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
The first games of the season are always hot, but some are hotter than others. The barometer I always use is, when I first open the car door do I almost pass out from the heat and humidity. We drive down from WNC and many times I have opened the car door only to be slammed by the heat and humidity during those first games of the season.

But I believe, the hottest game I have ever attended was this past year's ECU game. After we visited Gamecock Park we returned to our car and I started the car simply to turn on the air conditioner, something I rarely ever do before a game. We were parked on a grass surface and my car thermometer read 100°F. Now I, do not know the temperatures of other games I have attended at WB but simply from the "unbearable standpoint" I think the ECU game of 2014 takes the cake for my money. LOL!

Nebraska in 86. Noon kickoff in September. Was unbearable. It wore Nebraska down but we made a late turnover and they won. Drove all the way back down the field and Todd Ellis threw an interception in the end zone.

For me, the "Clowney is out of shape" North Carolina game. Temps weren't unbearable but just seemed improper for a Thurs nite opener. Was probably the pregame festivities that wore me down for kickoff.

This post was edited on 4/17 5:21 PM by G-C-Gamecock

I gave tickets away for this game because of a death of a friend's father but....I heard they were carrying people out by the droves for "Heat Related" issues. It was the 1988 game against UGA at Williams-Brice.

Also, (I wanted to mention, even if it's not WB) - I attended the USC-UGA game in Athens in 1993 (Taneyhill, Bennett "over the top"). After a rain shower around half-time there was "steam" rising from the stands. I believe that game was the hottest for me. Sweat was literally rolling off everyone, including the sad sad puppy-dog fans filing-out out of Sanford Stadium - couldn't tell if they were crying or not. Haha..

And, yes, that Nebraska game years ago was a very hot one.

This post was edited on 4/17 5:40 PM by UpstateGC

I have to get friends and family to go to games with me now because of that ECU game! Wife passed out due to heat and will never go back!

This post was edited on 4/17 5:42 PM by cj_mc7

Lattimore's first year here, we were playing Georgia. I was in West Upper probably 20 rows up. It was sooo hot that day I couldnt wait for the game to just simply be over. But being that it was Georgia, and Marcus was running it down their throat, there was no way I was going to leave early. I think the score was 17-6?

Can't recall the year (2000 or 2001?) but the Bama game where Trafford caught the winning TD. We won 37-35. My buddy says he thinks about that game every time he has to go to the skin doctor and have spots removed. He got absolutely fried that day.

Originally posted by houstongamecock:

Nebraska in 86. Noon kickoff in September. Was unbearable. It wore Nebraska down but we made a late turnover and they won. Drove all the way back down the field and Todd Ellis threw an interception in the end zone.
Freaking yes. I was in the student section with my sister.

Alabama 2005, by far the hottest game. Stadium ran out of water by halftime. People were trying to stick their heads in drink barrels to get ice. People passing out everywhere, not enough staff. Overall, a bad day from an operations perspective, that game is the reason we now have staff at every entrance with yellow coats on and walkie talkies.

Originally posted by G-C-Gamecock:
For me, the "Clowney is out of shape" North Carolina game. Temps weren't unbearable but just seemed improper for a Thurs nite opener. Was probably the pregame festivities that wore me down for kickoff.

This post was edited on 4/17 5:21 PM by G-C-Gamecock
I was at that game, too. It was hot for that UNC game, but for some reason the 2014 ECU game was pure miserable and ranks as the hottest ever for me personally. And I have seen many opening games over the years, although the ECU game of 2014 was the second game of the season. It may have to do with me getting older. LOL! When I first started attending USC football games I was in my early 20s and I guess that can make a difference.

I did not attend the Nebraska game you guys have mentioned but I have heard other fans that did attend that game talk about how hot it was that day.

Originally posted by cj_mc7:
I have to get friends and family to go to games with me now because of that ECU game! Wife passed out due to heat and will never go back!

I'm surprised my wife went back to any of the games with me last year after the ECU game because she absolutely can't handle heat. We have played golf before on hot days in Florida and she would almost pass out. He fact, one time we were on the practice range here in WNC and she almost passed out.

The strange thing is she lived in Gilbert, SC from the time she was in the 7th grade until the 11th grade and one would think she would be use to the heat but she sure isn't.

Originally posted by bowiestar2003:
1 more vote for ECU in 2012. My wife went with me and was 28 weeks pregnant. Had to leave at halftime to keep her cool and comfy.
I don't think I attended that game, so I can't give my personal perspective on the heat. LOL

Update, I just checked the 2012 schedule and by rights I should have attended but I can't remember anything about the game.

This post was edited on 4/17 9:17 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky

Originally posted by UpstateGC:
I gave tickets away for this game because of a death of a friend's father but....I heard they were carrying people out by the droves for "Heat Related" issues. It was the 1988 game against UGA at Williams-Brice.

Also, (I wanted to mention, even if it's not WB) - I attended the USC-UGA game in Athens in 1993 (Taneyhill, Bennett "over the top"). After a rain shower around half-time there was "steam" rising from the stands. I believe that game was the hottest for me. Sweat was literally rolling off everyone, including the sad sad puppy-dog fans filing-out out of Sanford Stadium - couldn't tell if they were crying or not. Haha..

And, yes, that Nebraska game years ago was a very hot one.

This post was edited on 4/17 5:40 PM by UpstateGC
+1 for that '88 USC-UGA game. Just simply hotter 'n hell!!!

The '86 USC-Nebraska game was another hot one! Husker fans were dropping like flies in the northeast stands. 'Louie, Louie got the crowd pumped, and I thought we were going to take that one.

I have been to 90% of the home games since 1970 and there is no doubt, Nebraska 1986 was the hottest football game I ever attended anywhere, any time.
devil.r191677.gif

UGA in 2000. The section I was sitting in (501 or 502) was in direct sun ALL game. Been to all the other games mentioned (except Nebraska in 86) and the 2000 UGA game was without a doubt the hottest. That was the game where UGA (the dog) sat on an icebag all game long and wouldn't come out of his kennel.

Quincy Carter 5 picks
Originally posted by detective29:

UGA in 2000. The section I was sitting in (501 or 502) was in direct sun ALL game. Been to all the other games mentioned (except Nebraska in 86) and the 2000 UGA game was without a doubt the hottest. That was the game where UGA (the dog) sat on an icebag all game long and wouldn't come out of his kennel.
Quincy Carter 5 int. was the hottest.

Originally posted by bowiestar2003:
Did the heat get to you that day Freddie?
If you are referring to the 2014 ECU game, yes it got to me and by that I mean I was very uncomfortable. I didn't almost pass out or anything but I was just miserable. It was so hot we didn't even want anything to eat.

Originally posted by cj_mc7:

It got to the point that my sister and I started taking pieces of clothes off until we were down to our underwear and soaked T-shirts. And I still couldn't breathe. Everybody around us were shedding clothes. Everyone was sucking wind just trying to get a breath. When the "drink" dude came up our way, it sounded like a TD. Everyone was yelling HEY HEY HERE HERE !!! I don't even remember who we were playing. It was when we had been in the SEC only a few years. My sister never went back. It was torture.

I also remember an ECU game where it was pouring rain and freezing temp. Walking to the car the water was over my ankles. I got strep throat from that game.

You got it Houston! Been a lot of them, but man they were hauling people out on stretchers by the boat load!! All day!! It was terrible.

Originally posted by Gamecock Esquire:
1988 uga for me too. It had to be 110 and sticky for that one
Been to many hot ones at WB. UGA 1988 was brutal.

I have been to many hot games. The Bama game was awful, UNC in 2013 was bad as well, The UGA Games rank up there as well. I don't remember the Nebraska game being that bad. Some of the hottest times I have had around USC sports were baseball regionals at the Old Sarge. I remember the year we beat Miami to get to Omaha under Tanner was about as hot as I have ever been or experienced. And this is coming from someone who runs to the golf course when it is over 95 because to me the ball travels better and I play much looser when it is hot.

Been a lot of hot ones but the Nebraska game is the one I always think of. The ECU game was hot but I was 26 years younger for the Nebraska game and still about died.

Definitely Bama 2005. Most of the student section had cleared out by halftime. Didn't help we got spanked.

Also Miss St 2002 and UGA 2010 are right behind those two.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

'08 UGA game was brutal. My poor pregnant wife at the time suffered worse than me out in the sun. UNC game to open up the season at home a couple years ago was brutal. Wasn't the index like 100 or higher?

Miss State in the late 1990s. Brad Scott thought it was a great idea to go back to black.....all black for a noon game when it was +100. MSU ran the opening kick for a TD, thus ending the game.

Originally posted by JKC4USC:
Can't recall the year (2000 or 2001?) but the Bama game where Trafford caught the winning TD. We won 37-35. My buddy says he thinks about that game every time he has to go to the skin doctor and have spots removed. He got absolutely fried that day.
For some reason, that's the game that comes to my mind as well. I'm sure that isn't the hottest I've ever attended, but that's the first game I thought of when I saw this thread. I will say that day felt a lot hotter when we were losing than it did late in the 4th when we took the lead.

ADVERTISEMENT