ADVERTISEMENT

What was the rainiest game you ever attended at WB?***

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
The rainiest game that I can remember was a game in the early 70s it was either (71 or 72) vs UGA . It started raining sometime shortly after game time and it never stopped. And when I say it was raining it was raining hard. My cousin and I sat beside an aisle and the water was cascading down the aisle literally like a river.

The rainiest game that I can remember was a game in the early 70s it was either (71 or 72) vs UGA . It started raining sometime shortly after game time and it never stopped. And when I say it was raining it was raining hard. My cousin and I sat beside an aisle and the water was cascading down the aisle literally like a river.
Wake Forest vs. USC 1979?

It was a Notre Dame game and not only got thoroughly soaked and so did the team in a big blow out. Don't remember the date but was many years ago.

Reactions: Thigh Man
East Carolina 1996, the first of many nights where a running back ran for a thousand yards in a game against the While I Burn Them defense.
This game and Kentucky about the same time. Also away from WB it would have to be the hurricane game at NC State in 99.

East Carolina 1996, the first of many nights where a running back ran for a thousand yards in a game against the While I Burn Them defense.
It was like a hurricane...never forget that one.

This for me too. I couldn't remember the date, but I remember a big ECU running back running for a season's worth of yards in that game. Meanwhile, Brad Scott's "high powered" office was completely ineffective in those conditions.

Reactions: Gaimcock

My first game as a student, 1963, USC vs Maryland. It rained buckets. I stayed 'til the end. USC won!

This for me too. I couldn't remember the date, but I remember a big ECU running back running for a season's worth of yards in that game. Meanwhile, Brad Scott's "high powered" office was completely ineffective in those conditions.
It was Scott Harley. He rushed for close to 1,750 yards and 14 TD that year. He killed us that night.

Was at all of them - a pair of UGa games, the ECU, the Kentucky game, the Miami game, the Wake game. ECU wins the worst rain game hands down. If the fans on the front row of the upper deck had not deserted their seats, they would have either drowned or been knocked over the railings by the floating debris.

As others have mentioned, the 96 ECU game. I can’t imagine it could rain any harder for an entire game as it did during that one.

1986 Miami vs. USC at WB, Todd Ellis at QB. Rained so hard you could hardly see the field.

Could not agree more. Harley ran wild in a non-stop deluge, kicking up water with every step. You would think the puddles would have slowed him down. Unh-unh.

ECU 1996.....had seats on the first row behind the Carolina bench. Trouble was all the drains were clogged up and water was about half way up to our knees. Stayed for the whole game....what a miserable night.

Reactions: Carolina4
ECU 1996.....had seats on the first row behind the Carolina bench. Trouble was all the drains were clogged up and water was about half way up to our knees. Stayed for the whole game....what a miserable night.

We didn’t have seats that low to start. But we sat just about anywhere we wanted by about the 3rd quarter. That’s flooding in the stands is what stuck out to me as so amazing as well.

Yep. This one. The steps in the upper deck looked like a waterfall. My brothers and I sat in the east upper and for a while we watched off in the distance what looked like a funnel cloud forming.

That was 1980.... regrettably I left early. Big George had a great game.

Yep...very lucky to win that game. Gary Harper hits Horace Smith for a bomb in the last couple of minutes. You weren't the only one who left early. Miserable conditions & what looked like sure defeat. A season that looked so promising appeared to be in the dumpster. The Georgia loss had deflated that team. Wasn't the same afterward. Took it on the chin at Clemson w/the 2nd half ints & then totally overmatched vs. Pitt in the Gator Bowl. I was at the Wake game, the Clemson game, & the beatdown in Jacksonville. There was a very uninspired win vs. El Cid in there somewhere after the heartbreaker in Athens, but I can't remember whether or not I attended that (Citadel) game.

T
That was 1980.... regrettably I left early. Big George had a great game.
That was my oldest brothers first year getting season tickets. He took a date to that game, they left near the end, and were crossing George Rogers Blvd when Harper made that pass. He said he made the decision then to never leave early again.

My grandmother worked with Big George for many years and I had some great opportunities as a child to meet players and coaches over the years. She and I went to the East Carolina game in 1996. When the skies opened up and I wanted to stay, she put on a poncho and sat through it with me. She’ll be 94 in a few months, and is still just as much of a badass today!!

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
99 at Nc State for me. The weather was miserable, but even with the loss being what it was there was a strong sense of excitement we had witnessed a star in the making with Watson's coming out party.

It was a Notre Dame game and not only got thoroughly soaked and so did the team in a big blow out. Don't remember the date but was many years ago.

It was 1983 and the Irish won 30-6.

My Father-in-law was a Notre Dame man and his side of the family had lived in South Bend since before the turn of the century. They had just moved to Columbia about 2 years earlier.

He could take obnoxious to a new level. The higher the score, the harder it rained and the more smart-ass he got.

By my choice, we stayed for every 5, 4, God damn, 3, 2, second 1 of the game. (And that was nothing compared to when we lost to Pacific)

Reactions: Thigh Man
This game and Kentucky about the same time. Also away from WB it would have to be the hurricane game at NC State in 99.

Oh man I was at all 3 of those games. I was going through my wallet about 4-5 days after the ECU game and found some business cards still wet and all stuck together. Didn't realize I had gotten that soaked!

Reactions: wolverine 2
Navy game in 1955, Midshipmen played like they practiced IN the Chesapeak
Bay instead of beside it

ECU 96' by far. Got a foot infection and ruined a pair of Dr Martens that night .

The bathrooms flooded on the student section ground level and we realized too late that by getting out of the rain we were standing in a cesspool.

ECU 96 is first but does everyone also remember ECU 92? Rained the entire game and watched Marty Simpson get a FG blocked on third down. We recovered and kicked again on fourth down and he missed.

ADVERTISEMENT