ADVERTISEMENT

What went on behind closed doors

It is not just football. Yes WM and the $18 million buyout is a huge albatross. Then there is Frank Martin’s buyout if $12 million. The MBB is also taking a nose dive. Looks like Frank has also peaked. The MBB losses are telling.

This adds up - $30 million in buyouts. Who in their right business mind would mortgage the University like this? Yes, we can probably pay our way out if this. I know that. But it reduces your degrees of freedom to operate. You cannot make more mistakes like this. Surely, the BOT needs to rise and take a stand?

Ray knows he goes down with WM. It is a fight you the bitter end!! JMHO.
I fully agree with you. However, I believe Caslen could put heavy pressure on Ray Tanner to identify the problems with football and basketball, and address them. Even if Ray claims he knows nothing about football or basketball, I suspect he has people on his staff who do. Or, he could bring in people who could identify the problems.

I do not like this type of micromanaging, but if you have employees who are not getting the job done and you are not able to fire them, this is the next option. If the employees don't like it, they can quit.

It is not just football. Yes WM and the $18 million buyout is a huge albatross. Then there is Frank Martin’s buyout of $12 million. The MBB is also taking a nose dive. Looks like Frank has also peaked. The MBB losses are telling.

This adds up - $30 million in buyouts. Who in their right business mind would mortgage the University like this? Yes, we can probably pay our way out if this. I know that. But it reduces your degrees of freedom to operate. You cannot make more mistakes like this. Surely, the BOT needs to rise and take a stand?

Ray knows he goes down with WM. It is a fight to the bitter end!! JMHO.

That is my point. I think we will be in such financial straits if we fire...Tanner, Muschamp, and Martin! We wouldn’t have the money to go after any sought after coaches. I just don’t think a new President is going to take that on. I definitely think Caslen would go along with it...if the Board was in favor of it...but where is all that money coming from?! We are in a BIG mess!

That is my point. I think we will be in such financial straits if we fire...Tanner, Muschamp, and Martin! We wouldn’t have the money to go after any sought after coaches. I just don’t think a new President is going to take that on. I definitely think Caslen would go along with it...if the Board was in favor of it...but where is all that money coming from?! We are in a BIG mess!

There is money Nikolas. Our athletic budget is now nudging $130 million. There are also donors who will come forward if there is a plan to move the programs to excellence. But the donors want a plan.

IMO Ray does not have that plan. Maybe on purpose so that he can keep Muschamp. He goes down as Muschamp goes down. On the other hand, I am shaking my head and asking can Ray, the orchestrator of these buyouts, have a credible vision and a plan? He seems such a business neophyte!!

There is money Nikolas. Our athletic budget is now nudging $130 million. There are also donors who will come forward if there is a plan to move the programs to excellence. But the donors want a plan.

IMO Ray does have that plan. Maybe on purpose so that he can keep Muschamp. He goes down as Muschamp goes down. On the other hand, I am scracthing my head and asking can Ray, the orchestrator of these buyouts, have a credible vision and a plan? He seems such a business neophyte!!
I am thinking Ray has to be the FIRST to go! I wish he would quietly and graciously take another position with USC.

Exactly. Posters on here never amaze me !
Hate on him as an AD if they want but calling the guy who won two national championships a buffoon???
Put this guy on list of others with ludicrous comments on this board

Are you kidding? As an AD this guy has totally been a buffoon. He has reuined Carolina's mens athletics across the board.

If Spurrier was asked to comment on Tanner's thought processes before he hired Muschamp, would Ray cite "executive privilege" to prevent Spurrier from talking?

Reactions: howard13
OMFG! Tanner thought Muschamp was a better option that Lincoln Riley, Bronco Mendenhall, and Just Fuente?!! This man is a moron in denial!!! Fire Tanner immediately! We pay the freaking buyout money. I don't care how much it is! Just do it! We need to put an end to this insanity!

OMFG! Tanner thought Muschamp was a better option that Lincoln Riley, Bronco Mendenhall, and Just Fuente?!! This man is a moron in denial!!! Fire Tanner immediately! We pay the freaking buyout money. I don't care how much it is! Just do it! We need to put an end to this insanity!
I liked the idea of Lincoln. What is wrong with Ray? He hires and takes a chance on a proven loser instead of a proven up and comer. He has ruined/not improved ALL men's sports. He's King Dixon Part 2.

He was a coach at USC so ALL his sympathies lie with coaches regardless of their performance. Proof:The idiotic buyouts for Will and FM.

It is not just football. Yes WM and the $18 million buyout is a huge albatross. Then there is Frank Martin’s buyout of $12 million. The MBB is also taking a nose dive. Looks like Frank has also peaked. The MBB losses are telling.

Ray knows he goes down with WM. It is a fight to the bitter end!! JMHO.
I suspect there has been some fighting and arguing behind closed doors over this football season.

It is possible that Muschamp has started making staff changes to head off any move to let him go. He may not have even met with RT yet. But I think the chances he will be fired this week are slim.

I liked the idea of Lincoln. What is wrong with Ray? He hires and takes a chance on a proven loser instead of a proven up and comer. He has ruined/not improved ALL men's sports. He's King Dixon Part 2.

He was a coach at USC so ALL his sympathies lie with coaches regardless of their performance. Proof:The idiotic buyouts for Will and FM.
What I heard was that after Riley went back to Oklahoma, Stoops told him not to take the SC job because he was retiring soon.

What I heard was that after Riley went back to Oklahoma, Stoops told him not to take the SC job because he was retiring soon.
Don't believe that. Why would RT say he was too young and inexperienced then? He could have just told the truth and there wouldn't have been as much backlash.

Spurrier just wanted to retire, play golf and move back to Florida. He had been coasting since 2012 and probably gave less thought to who his replacement was one way or the other.
I think Spurrier was hinting at retiring behind closed doors since as early as 2011/12 and tanner talked him into staying longer. Spurrier being a nice guy did. But he was burnt out and put things on autopilot which dug us into a hole. When Tanner should have just asked for a retirement date and been looking for a replacement when the team was still hitting on all cylinders.

you can blame Spurrier for a lot. Probably from 2015 up until maybe this season. but his classes are all cycled out by now I think. It’s totally on Muschamp.
Nobody had a transition plan. Nobody. Not Spurrier and not Tanner. Tanner ought to be ashamed. He was the AD. He should have been on top of it.

Don't forget, Tanner signed on for a road trip to App State.

When I brought that up earlier this season, his apologists said, "Oh, no biggie...we can buy our way out of that."

Brilliant business decision. Tanner is a fricking idiot and his hire will probably go down as the worst one we've ever made given the widespread damage it's done.

It amazes me how people just post negative comments about AD Tanner and Coach Muschamp without indicating any reliable source.

Look at his hires and how they have fared

Holbrook = TERRIBLE
Muschamp = TERRIBLE

Look at Eric Hyman's hires:
Dawn Staley = winner
Spurrier = winner
Martin = debatable, but better than Horn and the guy before

We need only look at the qualitative data available to us in the form of W-L records. There are other examples if you look at our athletic programs.

That was a rumor on this board by a few posters who were trying to cover for Ray’s incompetence. Riley withdrew his name after the second interview where he visited campus because Ray told him he was going with someone with more experience and older. Ray should be sued for age discrimination, hey, maybe that’s how we can him without having to pay him.lol

@Chanticleer37 "Brilliant business decision. Tanner is a fricking idiot and his hire will probably go down as the worst one we've ever made given the widespread damage it's done."

He's actually worse than Dixon. He seems incapable of admitting he made a mistake with the HC hire.
Hope he's gone next year before he does anymore damage.

Reactions: howard13
It is sad that you have not been able to accept this man's hiring and move on.
It is sad that you haven't been able to accept Muschamp's hiring and move on. Caslen is not qualified to lead our University, Tanner isn't qualified to lead our AD and Muschamp isn't qualified to lead our football program. Period.

Don't believe that. Why would RT say he was too young and inexperienced then? He could have just told the truth and there wouldn't have been as much backlash.
I don't think Tanner ever said that - at least not publicly - it was just speculation. Also, SC State personnel policy prohibits an employer from confirming who they interview or offer coaching positions to or to give reasons for not offering the job to any candidate. (I am a state employee)

That was a rumor on this board by a few posters who were trying to cover for Ray’s incompetence. Riley withdrew his name after the second interview where he visited campus because Ray told him he was going with someone with more experience and older. Ray should be sued for age discrimination, hey, maybe that’s how we can him without having to pay him.lol

I don't think that is true. I think that IS the speculation. Tanner would never say that and I never read that Lincoln Riley ever said Tanner made that comment.

ADVERTISEMENT