ADVERTISEMENT

What will the SEC change its name to?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
With the continued addition of teams from well outside the southeast region, with more to come, a name change is inevitable at some point. Teams the stature of Texas and OU will eventually want a name that better represents them. Nothing is sacred in college football these days, not even the name “SEC”.

Wonder what the league will go with.

Even with the new schools, the conference's footprint will still be southeastern, as long as the point of comparison is Alaska.

How is Texas outside and A&M not. Texas was in the Confederacy. We are a southern team. If you mean Oklahoma, it isn't much farther than Arkansas.

A&M and Mizzou aren’t southeast either. You start adding more and more teams from well outside your footprint and it starts to tip the scales.

It’s a matter of when, not if.

With the continued addition of teams from well outside the southeast region, with more to come, a name change is inevitable at some point. Teams the stature of Texas and OU will eventually want a name that better represents them. Nothing is sacred in college football these days, not even the name “SEC”.

Wonder what the league will go with.
Plenty of other things to rename and still have SEC.

Super Ego Conference
Saturday Epoch Conference
Secret Epicurean Chimichangas

How is Texas outside and A&M not. Texas was in the Confederacy. We are a southern team. If you mean Oklahoma, it isn't much farther than Arkansas.
With the flight of Californians coming to Texas... you might end up a minority in a decade.

It feels like Charleston is 50% retirees from Ohio and Pennsylvania now.

Reactions: vetteluvr
They should do a few commercial spots with Forrest Gump with him saying…."It's a household name. We've got more money than Davy Crockett.

Reactions: caughtlookin
It will be called the SEC. Remind me again how many teams are in the Big 12? How many are in the Big 10? At least in the SEC the teams are Southeast of somewhere.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
It will be called the SEC. Remind me again how many teams are in the Big 12? How many are in the Big 10? At least in the SEC the teams are Southeast of somewhere.
If you look at the map, they cover the southeastern-most quadrant of the 48 contiguous states. It's not as if we had an outlier someplace by itself, such as West Virginia.

If you look at the map, they cover the southeastern-most quadrant of the 48 contiguous states. It's not as if we had an outlier someplace by itself, such as West Virginia.
Please, not WV. There has to be better options than that band of hooligans.

I don't think its a requirement to be geographically correct, is it?

On the other hand the "Supreme Football Conference of the Universe" sounds nice, doesn't it?

Please, not WV. There has to be better options than that band of hooligans.
Absolutely. I went to the South Carolina/ West Virginia game that was played on Thanksgiving night in Columbia. South Carolina beat them soundly, but as we were going to our vehicle I witnessed a group of West Virginia fans going through the fairgrounds and ripping off mirrors that are attached to the cars. I also remember the year that West Virginia played in the NCAA championship, that season West Virginia fans were trying to flip over an ambulance that had either a Miami or Penn State (forgot who WV was playing) player in back of the vehicle. I even read something off the internet that Louisville fans (when Louisville use to be in the Big East) refused to go to Morgantown because it was so bad. I think it would be fair to point out that I did go to the Carquest bowl, but did not see anything ugly happen. For the safety of South Carolina fans I would strongly oppose West Virginia joining the SEC.

They will likely rebrand from South Eastern Conference to just SEC. It won't stand for anything, just be SEC. It just means more.

I am surprised that corporations have not attempted to give more money to have their name attached to a conference. For example The Aflac South Eastern Conference or Delta Airlines South Eastern conference. The Orkin Atlantic Coast Conference. The TD Ameritrade Big Ten Conference. J.G Wentworth Big 12 Conference.

• Sad
Reactions: caughtlookin
Absolutely. I went to the South Carolina/ West Virginia game that was played on Thanksgiving night in Columbia. South Carolina beat them soundly, but as we were going to our vehicle I witnessed a group of West Virginia fans going through the fairgrounds and ripping off mirrors that are attached to the cars. I also remember the year that West Virginia played in the NCAA championship, that season West Virginia fans were trying to flip over an ambulance that had either a Miami or Penn State (forgot who WV was playing) player in back of the vehicle. I even read something off the internet that Louisville fans (when Louisville use to be in the Big East) refused to go to Morgantown because it was so bad. I think it would be fair to point out that I did go to the Carquest bowl, but did not see anything ugly happen. For the safety of South Carolina fans I would strongly oppose West Virginia joining the SEC.
A UK buddy of mine had his daughter and SIL go to Bristol to watch TN/VaTech in "The Battle for Bristol".

Their report of the VaTech antics...

Brawling with TN fans in the stands during the game. Trash and objects thrown at TN fans from VaTech sections of the Stadium. Various physical assaults post-game. Multiple vehicles keyed and stripped of mirrors/antennae, assorted other vandalism.

Supposedly fan misbehavior was part of the reason WV didn't get offered by the ACC 11 years ago.

EDIT: When I originally posted this I mistakenly remembered it as being WV playing TN at Bristol. I need to check back with my buddy. He told another story about WVU fans misbehaviors.

Last edited:
No you're not. You aren't the South nor are the Longhorns a Southern team. But neither are the Aggies or Mizzou or Oklahoma. Arkansas is a close call. I'd boot them as not Southern. But you lose all credibility when you start to say things like "it isn't much farther." You have to draw a line somewhere.
How is Texas not a Southern state? It fought for the Confederacy. It might be more Southwest than Southeast, but it is certainly Southern.

I see no reason to change as long as the conference footprint still lies in the southeastern quadrant of the 48 contiguous states. Start adding Big 10 teams and I might alter my opinion.

Well, yes, that is somewhat what I had in mind. It’s now more likely than not that OSU and Michigan end up joining at some point. There’s certainly nothing in the least southeastern about UT, A&M or OU but folks want to pretend that way. Once OSU and UM jump on board, even the most die-hard won’t be able to make believe.

In your first attachment, I do not mind the "over rated" chant since a lot fans do that.

The second attachment is my impression of West Virginia. To be fair, NC State fans have thrown batteries on the field too, Below quotes in bold from second article.

But it only took three of them to give WVU a national black eye that won't heal and a coast-to-coast scarlet letter that's indelible.
Just ask an LSU fan from Pittsburgh named Marcus Mason. When he regains consciousness, that is.
Mason and his wife, Hannah, along with another couple in their traveling party were assaulted late Saturday night in Morgantown, while sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic at the Purple Lot. Mason was beaten so severely, he was moved to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center for surgery to repair injuries that included a fractured frontal bone in the middle of his forehead, a crushed eye socket and a broken nose.
His wife, who is 22 weeks pregnant, was knocked down and received bruises on her arms, legs and shoulders.

I have covered games all over the country and never ever witnessed fan behavior as deplorable as the conduct in Morgantown.
The list includes games at the University of Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Miami (Fla.), Penn State, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Clemson, Michigan State, Kansas State, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, University of Virginia, Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Louisville, South Florida, Boston College, Cincinnati and Navy.

It simply doesn't happen on such a regular basis anywhere else than Morgantown.
What is even worse is the WVU miscreants actually take pride in their misbehavior. They hurl obscenities. They sport profane T-shirts. They throw batteries, coins and beer bottles during games. They print and wear demeaning T-shirts, such as one emblazoned with the outline of the state of Louisiana and the words "Relying On FEMA Since 2005."
That reference to Hurricane Katrina is incredibly crass, crude and insensitive even by their bottom of the barrel standards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT