ADVERTISEMENT

What's a "good showing" vs UK?**

Single digit loss....... Just being honest. But hoping for the upset of the year in college basketball!

Re: beating the spread***

Anything under 20-30 , this game could become very ugly very quickly..too much speed , too much height , too many players. UK will go out fast to set the pace and try to wear out South Carolina as quickly as possible.

when does the spread come out? I imagine it's got to be something in the 20 point range?

A win; we beat them last season in Columbia and we beat them in 2010 when they were ranked number 1.

Originally posted by CaliCock:
when does the spread come out? I imagine it's got to be something in the 20 point range?
Probably will be, but UK, with all their wonderful NBA talent, plays sloppy. They've had one major blowout vs Mizzou and a 20pt win over Bama. They've had 2 OT games, one a double, and only beat Vandy by 8 and Vandy is so-so this year.

If we get blown out by 40-50 then we are Mizzou or worse.

The last six games we have played Kentucky at Colonial Life Arena it is 3-3.

We beat them in 2010 when they were #1 in the nation, featuring John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins.

We beat them last season, and they ended up going to the national championship game.

Will they be favored? Of course. But if you think all hope is lost and that there is just no chance on the planet that we can win against them at CLA, you haven't paid attention to this series.

if anyone's interested, the line opened today at UK -11. If we beat that, I would call it a "good showing"

if anyone's interested, the line opened today at UK -11. If we beat that, I would call it a "good showing"
I like that line if I can find it to play. My models predict we lose 69-61 or thereabouts. At 11 it might be worth playing. If it goes above 12 I will take it.

Do you have a total?

Originally posted by Jack_Burton:
The last six games we have played Kentucky at Colonial Life Arena it is 3-3.

We beat them in 2010 when they were #1 in the nation, featuring John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins.

We beat them last season, and they ended up going to the national championship game.

Will they be favored? Of course. But if you think all hope is lost and that there is just no chance on the planet that we can win against them at CLA, you haven't paid attention to this series.
Very true Jack - however the Kentucky team that will be in the CLA tomorrow is like no other Kentucky team in the history of Kentucky hoops.

Vegas does not miss too often but 11 just seems too low.

Will be an interesting afternoon for sure.

Originally posted by Carolina Cat:

Very true Jack - however the Kentucky team that will be in the CLA tomorrow is like no other Kentucky team in the history of Kentucky hoops.

What do you see that makes -11 too low? Based on real data, -11 seems almost too high. It doesn't mean that the game will play according to stats, but I don't see anything in the data that says this number is too low. In fact, my numbers say 8.5 - 10 is the most likely spread range. But again - anything can happen.

Originally posted by prizerooster:
Probably will be, but UK, with all their wonderful NBA talent, plays sloppy. They've had one major blowout vs Mizzou and a 20pt win over Bama. They've had 2 OT games, one a double, and only beat Vandy by 8 and Vandy is so-so this year.

If we get blown out by 40-50 then we are Mizzou or worse.
One major blowout?

Kentucky beat Kansas by 32

UCLA by 39

Missouri by 49

North Carolina by 14 (worse than the score)

Alabama by 22

cupcakes by much more.....

They have the largest margin of victory in the country (27.5 points)

Anything under 20. USC often struggles on offense as of late. Kentucky may bebthe best defensive team I have seen in a while. They eat you alive close to the bucket. For this thing to be even close USC has to shoot lights out from the 3 point line, and hope that this is one of those games where Kentucky just isn't mentally into it. It has happened before, but it would almost have to be a perfect scenario for USC to even dream of winning this one. I say Kentucky bt 15

Anything under 20. USC often struggles on offense as of late. Kentucky may bebthe best defensive team I have seen in a while. They eat you alive close to the bucket. For this thing to be even close USC has to shoot lights out from the 3 point line, and hope that this is one of those games where Kentucky just isn't mentally into it. It has happened before, but it would almost have to be a perfect scenario for USC to even dream of winning this one. I say Kentucky bt 15

a close loss. This is the #1 team in the country. Even if we don't win it doesn't mean it wasn't a good showing.

Originally posted by rooster59:
Win by 30+
Sir, please step away from the crack pipe!
laugh.r191677.gif

As far as I'm concerned a good showing is a losers mentality. If you're going to play a really good game but lose anyway just because you're all amped up because it Kentucky, how about play like that in the winnable games?

Originally posted by AnCRooster:
As far as I'm concerned a good showing is a losers mentality. If you're going to play a really good game but lose anyway just because you're all amped up because it Kentucky, how about play like that in the winnable games?
Yeah, well we are a loser program right now, and we are playing the #1 team in a country. So, that is how it is. Kentucky is way better than we. Get over it. The only way we win this game is if Kentucky cr*ps the bed. It's happened in past years and is why we were able to beat then and it is the same this situation this year and it applies to pretty much every team they play.

This post was edited on 1/24 12:51 PM by ReadR00ster

Well, that wasn't a good showing, but it wasn't totally bad. Would have been a closer game if we could have knocked down a few more 3's, and turned it over a few less times. KY gets away with assault inside. There's no telling how many shots we missed, or had blocked right under the basket.

That was a so-so performance I guess. At least they played hard and stayed in striking distance most of the game should KY quit early.

I don't have anything to be over and your post doesn't have a damn thing to do with what I posted. People are asking what a good showing would be. The only good showing in this instance would have been a win if you aren't going to go play worth a crap against lesser teams. Might as well be asking what would be considered not getting embarrassed.

Originally posted by AnCRooster:
I don't have anything to be over and your post doesn't have a damn thing to do with what I posted. People are asking what a good showing would be. The only good showing in this instance would have been a win if you aren't going to go play worth a crap against lesser teams. Might as well be asking what would be considered not getting embarrassed.
I don't care what the score is, there is no embarrassment to losing the this Kentucky team. They are that good. The only thing which would be embarrassing is they gave poor effort, but their effort was good. So cut the crap, because that is what you are posting, crap.

If you had any reading comprehension you'd realize I wasn't talking about the team's effort and performance TODAY. My whole point is why worry about how we play in a game that we're playing not winning even if we play our best. I'm saying how about play worth damn against somebody we can actually beat, not that you'll understand what I'm talking about.

We did better than UCLA

nm. wow 19 points in 24+ minutes. 4/29 shooting over that time.

Re: We did better than UCLA

Originally posted by HI Cock:
nm. wow 19 points in 24+ minutes. 4/29 shooting over that time.
I could blindfold myself and shoot better. I could be in a wheelchair and do better. Do we have any MEN on this team.! We are out there with you. Somebody step UP!!!!!! This is your moment...always thought about it as a kid. This is it. Now go take it.

Don't kid yourself , when the paint is totally blocked for the most part all game long the options to score become very limited.

Carolina did as well as most other teams have against the Kentucky front line..good lord look at what happened to Kansas (40) , Montana State (28) UT-Arlington (44) , Providence (38) , Texas (51) UCLA (42) Missouri (37) Alabama (48)

Those games were for the most part when UK was seriously paltooning vs the semi normal substitution process that was utilized today partially created by the two quick calls on Cauley-Stein and the fact that Cal is still working on a rotation that allows for a change in the group of 5 that will be on the floor at any given time.

Kentucky for all intents and purposes looked like they were just going through the motions for most of the first half..turned it up a notch when the need to do so was appropriate.

All things considered Carolina has nothing to be ashamed , ck the rebounding stats - Carolina out rebounded Kentucky 40-28 not something that is easy to accomplish but the practically 22% gap in shooting..not going to overcome that one for sure.

Originally posted by Sending an SOS:

Originally posted by Carolina Cat:

What do you see that makes -11 too low? Based on real data, -11 seems almost too high. It doesn't mean that the game will play according to stats, but I don't see anything in the data that says this number is too low. In fact, my numbers say 8.5 - 10 is the most likely spread range. But again - anything can happen.
Vegas boys are'nt there for their looks. 8.5-10 was'nt to good either was it? So Kentucky -11 was the bet.

I don't think we have the players to be a good shooting team. I don't hold out much hope its going to get better the next couple of years.

Originally posted by Mox94:
good call

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT