ADVERTISEMENT

What's going on with Bryce Thompson?

luvmygamecocks

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2006
Columbia
Really wanted Bryce as he's a super talented athlete on both sides of the ball. See where he visited Tennessee last weekend which seems strange as I thought he was a lock for Carolina. I know we lost the Vickers kid to UT due to admission problems. Is that what Bryce is guarding against, if Carolina doesn't admit him the Vols will? Being another SEC school they must have low standards if they can get kids in and we can't. Anyone know the scoop on Bryce?

Reactions: rogue cock
Really wanted Bryce as he's a super talented athlete on both sides of the ball. See where he visited Tennessee last weekend which seems strange as I thought he was a lock for Carolina. I know we lost the Vickers kid to UT due to admission problems. Is that what Bryce is guarding against, if Carolina doesn't admit him the Vols will? Being another SEC school they must have low standards if they can get kids in and we can't. Anyone know the scoop on Bryce?

Co-sign.

What exactly do you have to make (grades) to get into USC or SEC school ?

UT might be willing to let him sign tho. We arent willing to sign him until closer to the end of the semester.

This is correct. Our staff is not willing to take the risk at this point. If we sign him and he doesn't get accepted, then we lose that spot as he'd still count as one of the 25. If he makes the grade then he'll be a Gamecock.

This is correct. Our staff is not willing to take the risk at this point. If we sign him and he doesn't get accepted, then we lose that spot as he'd still count as one of the 25. If he makes the grade then he'll be a Gamecock.
Who else are we looking at for that spot?

Tennessee does not have the level of acedemic standards of USC.

UT’s standards are not lowee than ours. They just have more openings and are willing to take the risk with signing him. They figure that their “yes we want you now” will outweigh our “let’ talk again later.”

All this bunk about being screwed by our admissions department is manure. Our admission standards aren’t any higher than UT’s. Pruitt is just a little more desperate

Thompson has not signed with Tenn and their insiders think he will come here.

Signing a non qualifier has more negative consequences, the thought is Tenn has more open scholarships then us and could gamble.

Most point to 2009 as a starting point of the revamping, thanks to Houston Nutt's crazy 37 man signing class, which resulted in the need for stricter polices on over signing.

Last April the policy was adjusted again making it almost impossible to over sign, but not impossible.

I believe this is correct, im not a pro so if i misinterpreted, bring to my attention, but the gist is

1. Prospects who sign and do not qualify academically remain part of the signing class.

You sign Thompson and he doesn't qualify, its gone, and you cant sign 26 in 2019, no back count from signing a non qualifier.

The 100 of four years has to be manged

Schools are given no more than 100 signees over a four-year period for the maximum of 85 scholarships, a 15-player margin for error, im not sure where we are in that 100, but i know its another factor in this,

So we dont sign Thompson, and dont bring in another player, we can sign 26 next year is my understanding.

2. Blueshirting a player to manipulate class sizes is no longer an option.

3. There will be less need to force a player into a grayshirt.

I cut and paste from this LSU article which gives some in depth explanations

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_f03e6112-0a8c-11e8-9dd4-2b23fb9d9fbe.html

Thompson has not signed with Tenn and their insiders think he will come here.

Signing a non qualifier has more negative consequences, the thought is Tenn has more open scholarships then us and could gamble.

Most point to 2009 as a starting point of the revamping, thanks to Houston Nutt's crazy 37 man signing class, which resulted in the need for stricter polices on over signing.

Last April the policy was adjusted again making it almost impossible to over sign, but not impossible.

I believe this is correct, im not a pro so if i misinterpreted, bring to my attention, but the gist is

1. Prospects who sign and do not qualify academically remain part of the signing class.

You sign Thompson and he doesn't qualify, its gone, and you cant sign 26 in 2019, no back count from signing a non qualifier.

The 100 of four years has to be manged

Schools are given no more than 100 signees over a four-year period for the maximum of 85 scholarships, a 15-player margin for error, im not sure where we are in that 100, but i know its another factor in this,

So we dont sign Thompson, and dont bring in another player, we can sign 26 next year is my understanding.

2. Blueshirting a player to manipulate class sizes is no longer an option.

3. There will be less need to force a player into a grayshirt.

I cut and paste from this LSU article which gives some in depth explanations

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_f03e6112-0a8c-11e8-9dd4-2b23fb9d9fbe.html
Now this makes sense. Completely losing the scholarship if he fails to qualify is a good reason not to go ahead and sign him. All the other reasons are bogus IMO. Thanks gradstudent.

Now this makes sense. Completely losing the scholarship if he fails to qualify is a good reason not to go ahead and sign him. All the other reasons are bogus IMO. Thanks gradstudent.

You do not lose the “scholarship.” There are 85 scholarships that you always have unless you lose some as a penalty for recruiting violations.

The issue is “signing openings.” Theoretically, you could only sign 22.25 per year for four years to get to 85. Of course, you lose some over the four year span to grades, transfers, nfl early entry, injury etc. thus you are allowed to “BRING IN” 25 per year.

I thought liike others the 25 limit is a hard, hard cap but it’s not. Notice that several schools brought in 26 in 2018. Thus, some countback is still allowed. However, you can’t count back the spot you gave to a non-qualifier as gradstudent said

I don’t think this is a shady move by Tenn , they are just more willing to roll the dice and take a chance . If the kid can be a program changing talent then why not ??? I think it’s a small risk vs the potential reward . This isn’t something you would do for every recruit but the truth is talent dictates everything . I would take that risk if he’s that good .

Reactions: rogue cock
I don’t think this is a shady move by Tenn , they are just more willing to roll the dice and take a chance . If the kid can be a program changing talent then why not ??? I think it’s a small risk vs the potential reward . This isn’t something you would do for every recruit but the truth is talent dictates everything . I would take that risk if he’s that good .

He's that good.

I'd love to see him running around Williams-Bryce.

Hopefully, he has an Alshon Jefferies/Deebo Samuels-type career.
459997873.jpg

"That would be great if you ask me."
-Shawn Connors

Reactions: PokerCock
I'd love to see him running around Williams-Bryce.

Hopefully, he has an Alshon Jefferies/Deebo Samuels-type career.
The other guy spelled Brice wrong which I see you were commenting on, did you mean to spell Alshon's and Deebo's names wrong also, or was that a happy accident?

He wants to be a Gamecock and is taking a wait and see approach. Hope he makes it in Frankly, I hope we don't become a Louisville or Marshall.

Reactions: coolcock2001
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT