ADVERTISEMENT

What's the deal with our captains not shaking hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, it's not just the players folks. My wife and I have been doing the "house-divided" thing the past two years because we have a daughter at each school (me in USC gear, her in UK), yet two years in a row, the USC fans were pretty obnoxious. Last year, it was just a ton of taunting every time USC made a big play or UK made a bad one. But it was bad enough that my wife has had a chip on her shoulder ever since, telling everyone who would listen, "Those USC fans in Lexington were acting like redneck a-holes. They deserved to lose." I kept telling her it was just fans pulling for their team and that's typical at a football game. But this year only reinforced the perception as the following 3 things happened:
  • While waiting to enter the gate, fans started a chant and replaced the GAME-COCKS cheer with "KENTUCKY-SUCKs." Naturally, she rolled her eyes and said, "real classy."
  • During the game, a large port of the student section was changing "F#ck Kentucky, clap clap...clap clap clap. F#ck Kentucky, clap clap...clap clap clap" which led to eye-roll #2, and a "your fans are jerks" comment.
  • Walking back to our car a USC fan screamed "F#ck you Kentucky, just go home" at a group of UK fans that were walking nearby us. At that point, she decided to fire back and said, "Yeah, we're going home with win. 4-in-row!"
I've been attending games for 32 years so I'm well aware that the banter from rivals fans is just part of the game and I've seen a lot worse than that. But just pointing out that the disrespectful attitude was not limited to the players. There were a ton of fans showing their ass too.
That comment about 4 in a row was gold. Bazinga! Last night felt so bush league I woke up this morning laughing about it. Ever been so embarrassed that all you can do is laugh with those who are laughing at you? That's me. I'm glad Kentucky proved that blackout game are lame and so are fire shooting tubes and night club music.

That doesn't mean it's not true.
Im not doubting both sides are guilty to some extent. But I'm just suspsicious because last year we were told Clemson players made racist comments and this year Kentucky QB who had Tourette's said mean things to us. Every year it's always something. It's like watching Days of Our Lives.

His tics are under complete control!
I'm glad he's overcome it. I wasn't dissing him, I just thought it was funny how our guys wanna claim a guy with that is talking trash to them and it effected their wittle feewings. Sorry, I grew up with the 85 Bears and Ditka, tough guys. I'm not used to this new stuff where you get your feelings hurt so easily and have to dance around because you made a tackle or gained 5 yards.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Unfortunately, it's not just the players folks. My wife and I have been doing the "house-divided" thing the past two years because we have a daughter at each school (me in USC gear, her in UK), yet two years in a row, the USC fans were pretty obnoxious. Last year, it was just a ton of taunting every time USC made a big play or UK made a bad one. But it was bad enough that my wife has had a chip on her shoulder ever since, telling everyone who would listen, "Those USC fans in Lexington were acting like redneck a-holes. They deserved to lose." I kept telling her it was just fans pulling for their team and that's typical at a football game. But this year only reinforced the perception as the following 3 things happened:
  • While waiting to enter the gate, fans started a chant and replaced the GAME-COCKS cheer with "KENTUCKY-SUCKs." Naturally, she rolled her eyes and said, "real classy."
  • During the game, a large port of the student section started chanting "F#ck Kentucky, clap clap...clap clap clap. F#ck Kentucky, clap clap...clap clap clap" which led to eye-roll #2, and a "your fans are jerks" comment.
  • Walking back to our car a USC fan screamed "F#ck you Kentucky, just go home" at a group of UK fans that were walking nearby us. At that point, she decided to fire back and said, "Yeah, we're going home with win. 4-in-row!"
I've been attending games for 32 years so I'm well aware that the banter from rivals fans is just part of the game and I've seen a lot worse than that. But just pointing out that the disrespectful attitude was not limited to the players. There were a ton of fans showing their ass too.

We once owned a caboose, were high-level sponsors, and attended all the games. We finally decided we weren't interested in being around a bunch of drunks who literally couldn't complete a sentence without the F-word. In between the F-word there always seemed to be a JC reference or even a JFC to make it even more offensive. (Why isn't there a blasphemous phrase for Mohammed or Buddha?) Anyway, it's not just our fans. It's a degradation of society and not enough "adults" care enough to stand-up to it. Heaven-forbid, we might ostracize a potential recruit.

Last edited:
That comment about 4 in a row was gold. Bazinga! Last night felt so bush league I woke up this morning laughing about it. Ever been so embarrassed that all you can do is laugh with those who are laughing at you? That's me. I'm glad Kentucky proved that blackout game are lame and so are fire shooting tubes and night club music.

You mean "shooting tube" since only one fired. The other 3 were duds.

I was listening to the UK radio broadcast of the coin flip and evidently one of UK's captains stepped across the 50 (into USC "space") and offered his hand. The USC captains took umbrage with that and refused to shake the UK captain's hands. It then got a little chippy and the refs had to tell the boys to act like men. :(
Is stepping across the line a big unwritten rule like sleeping with someone's wife?

Sheesh...I do not even know why this a debate of who is at fault....it does not matter. Like the game itself...our guys got beat in the "head games" part also. It is not Kentucky that looks like losers and poor sports. That is the issue.....our team of "leaders" got so taken that they embarrassed themselves and the university.

I also got a solution...focus on the game and do not get into the extra curricular talk....which I know our guys do every game and much more than most. Rarely is there a tackle made where our player just walks away without saying something to the other player. There is a way to play with excitement without taking every chance you get to try to chirp...that is not something that good teams do....it is usually the poor teams that players really do not care. Maybe that is us right now.

• During the game, a large port of the student section started chanting "F#ck Kentucky, clap clap...clap clap clap. F#ck Kentucky, clap clap...clap clap clap" which led to eye-roll #2, and a "your fans are jerks" comment.
I h
I have been to Kentucky at a game and we were saluted with the finger going in and many people telling us to 'F' Carolina. So stop thinking that UK people are the nice guys. All of a sudden Carolina people are the football demons. Most of it comes from a saturation of alcohol.

Coach needs to put a code conduct at the entrance to the field and and remind the players every practice, scrimmage, and game. We've been there before, before Muschamp, we shouldn't have to be making corrections now. BOT should have informed Tanner not to allow it to happen again. Tanner better be on top of this mess NOW. Muschamp needs to lay down the law.

Nothing wrong with being cocky, all teams strive for it. It just needs to be focused appropriately (this means you, coaches!)

If you think another player "disses" you, then you have abandoned the team mantra and going with the me, me, me mantra and you have already failed. It's the team, fans, and everything you represent by wearing that uniform that is being "dissed". By forgoing civility and sportsmanship at a time that demands it, YOU are dissing BOTH TEAMS AND FANS.

Btw, as to the game we squandered 10 points kicking. Make those we have a tie game 23-23. Make HALF A YARD and score another TD and we win 30(29) -23.

Kentucky was way better balanced on offense than we were. We were better passing (and if Jake learns how throw a ball to a receiver with noboby within 10 yards of the receiver, we'll be that much better), Kentucky is far better in the running game and kicking. Kentucky executed far better for the whole game, yet, we had more opportunities to win than they did.

Remember, despite all the problems through the game, it was still a one possession game with four minutes to go. Contain the quarterback draw on third and eight and we get the ball, down seven.

And don't forget, folks, Jake has yet to play a full season, yet. He's still learning to read the defense, feel the pressure, gauge the clock ticking in his head to scramble or throw away. He should be noticeably better by seasons end.

Roper, or Muschamp, made some bad calls, primarily in the run game. With no prior running success in gaining short yardage, we NEVER should have handed off to the running back while in the shotgun, at the goal line. If we ever get consistent run blocking (like Kentucky) we will be a contender. Also, should have went for it fourth and eight. Our kicking game was already proven inconsistent, our passing game was a better chance of success. Our kicker missed again and was further demoralized.

Defense played as expected, not dominant, but consistent. I stated Kentucky would score 17-24 points, and that's what they did. We are decent at containing (bend don't break) and letting the opponent make a drive stopping mistake. We lack size to control the line scrimmage. It's usually the other team breaching the line of scrimmage, offensively, not us defensively.

We once owned a caboose, were high-level sponsors, and attended all the games. We finally decided we weren't interested in being around a bunch of drunks who literally couldn't complete a sentence without the F-word. In between the F-word there always seemed to be a JC reference or even a JFC to make it even more offensive. (Why isn't there a blasphemous phrase for Mohammed or Buddha?) Anyway, it's not just our fans. It's a degradation of society and not enough "adults" care enough to stand-up to it. Heaven-forbid, we might ostracize a potential recruit.
Go to a Mizzou away game. You will feel right at home. Hands down the classiest fan base in the SEC and beyond nice. However, I am just not sure they understand winning lol

As for the pre-game handshake controversy, Muschamp said he addressed that with his players and told them always shake the opponent’s hand. He said he called Kentucky coach Mark Stoops this morning and apologized and the two are on the same page

It's a bit ridiculous USC fans crawling our on players asses not knowing the facts. That's great if muschamp called Stoops. Seems like he had about as much knowledge about this as Debos injury. Soirry, but I have no reason to believe Langston Moore right in front of it would lie. A couple players shook hands. Syephen Johnson started running his mouth and the refs stepped in and said enough and just flipped the coin.How is that our players fault? It amazes me how South Carolina fans are so quick to accuse and criticize every damn thing they do. I'm convinced 90 pct of the post are Clempson fans posting the bullshit on here. It's time they shut down this free board. If you want to talk about USC sports pay for it and somebody should monitor the content. You would never see these type posts on our rivals boards, I went on tigernet during the entire butthole fingering debate and crotch grabbing.. Any post about it was down in 2 minutes.

The coach told them exactly right....u shake hands and play the game. All they did was let Kentucky get into their heads. You do know that was the reason the Kentucky player did that...don't u? We are not sponsoring lets rumble from the 5o here....if somehow playing with class is beyond them....then the door is right next to them.

Soirry, but I have no reason to believe Langston Moore right in front of it would lie
Our sideline reporter, on the air during the coin toss, contradicted what your reporter said. Conflicting reports here. Regardless of what actually happened, I applaud your coach for reaching out and apologizing, and if we are the true aggressors, I apologize on behalf of the BBN.

Langston Moore is a long way from being a sunshine pumper. I've heard him call out players and coaches on this staff and others on many occasions.Why should you shake somebody's hand that's trash talking? I applaud them for not taking the BS from Kentucky. Wish that attitude would have spilled over into the 4th and 1 situations that weren't converted.

the problem with Langston Moore story he accused Johnson talking trash, that not that kid at all. UK radio guy said it happened so it comes down who you believe. BTW good luck with the rest of your season always pull for the gamecocks

Reactions: KellKat
the problem with Langston Moore story he accused Johnson talking trash, that not that kid at all. UK radio guy said it happened so it comes down who you believe. BTW good luck with the rest of your season always pull for the gamecocks
Muschamp called Stoops to apologize and even said the move was stupid. Langston gets caught up sometimes trying to spin everything, he's just flat out wrong in this however. He knows it too, especially after Muschamp came out and contradicted what he said happened. If it's all UK's fault he wouldn't be apologizing to Stoops.

I have no problem with you wanting to believe your guy did nothing. However, our guys have been captains before and this is the first time this has ever happened so I'm sure you have no problem with me believing Langston Moore, who was at the coin toss.

I have more of a problem with our own fans who want the players suspended for not shaking the hand of a
trash-talking opponent. One of them invoking the name of Mike Ditka, who probably would have been more
likely to suspend a player if he shook the hand of somebody trash-talking. To the extent that this had any effect on the game it must have been a positive one for South Carolina, since they scored on their first play
from scrimmage and had two takeaways on Kentucky's first possessions.

I have no problem with you wanting to believe your guy did nothing. However, our guys have been captains before and this is the first time this has ever happened so I'm sure you have no problem with me believing Langston Moore, who was at the coin toss.

I have more of a problem with our own fans who want the players suspended for not shaking the hand of a
trash-talking opponent. One of them invoking the name of Mike Ditka, who probably would have been more
likely to suspend a player if he shook the hand of somebody trash-talking. To the extent that this had any effect on the game it must have been a positive one for South Carolina, since they scored on their first play
from scrimmage and had two takeaways on Kentucky's first possessions.
They had a bunch of drama last year after the Clemson game trying to distract for their awful performance. They ran around hollerig racism statements were made to them, now after this bad loss it's Kentucky talked trash to them. It's always something after they crap the bed and I'm tried of it. These guys need to toughen up and play football!

Reactions: cocky4
They had a bunch of drama last year after the Clemson game trying to distract for their awful performance. They ran around hollerig racism statements were made to them, now after this bad loss it's Kentucky talked trash to them. It's always something after they crap the bed and I'm tried of it. These guys need to toughen up and play football!

They didn't make an issue of it, Langston Moore responded to what Stoops and the Kentucky players said.
I love the sanctimonious bs on here with people talking about how badly 19 year old kids handle adversity.
They lose a game and you people want the coaches fired and the starters benched. Maybe you should learn to handle adversity before you publish your blueprint for how to do it.

This is the same crowd that wanted Sindarius Thornwell to be kicked off the team.

Reactions: 76gintcock
I h

I have been to Kentucky at a game and we were saluted with the finger going in and many people telling us to 'F' Carolina. So stop thinking that UK people are the nice guys. All of a sudden Carolina people are the football demons. Most of it comes from a saturation of alcohol.
Exactly. I have been to games at UK, there are good and bad in each fan base. KY fans called me all kinds of things while sitting amongst them. Its a part of the atmosphere. If these new age snowflakes can't take a little foul language and trash talking, perhaps they should stick to Ballets and leave football to the men.

Also, an aside question to the poster(s) slinging the "THUG" term around... how would our president have handled the pregame situation? Would he take the insults and still shake hands like a man? This "problem" is much deeper than simply blaming "thug" behavior. Being a rude dumbass is the new 'Merican way.

This is the same crowd that wanted Sindarius Thornwell to be kicked off the team.
This guy didn't want him suspended AT ALL. Sindarius, three flames not firing, the desperation of calling for a blackout, acting "tough" and not shaking hands... it all stinks of a 2nd place mentality and complacency on the BoT and in the AD's office for enabling the environment that allows it.

They didn't make an issue of it, Langston Moore responded to what Stoops and the Kentucky players said.
I love the sanctimonious bs on here with people talking about how badly 19 year old kids handle adversity.
They lose a game and you people want the coaches fired and the starters benched. Maybe you should learn to handle adversity before you publish your blueprint for how to do it.

Going on twitter and claiming "they started it!" is making an issue of it. In fact, that's why Muschamp had to call Stoops because it was starting to become an issue. You act like none of us have ever been 19 before. They didn't just lose a game, they got their manhood checked by Kentucky. I don't so much have a problem with losing as I do the way we lose. I can't think of but a couple games where we lost because the other team was just flat out better. Saturday night wasn't one of those times. Kentucky walked in, trashed talked us and walked out and we sit around "boohoo Kentucky is mean, they say mean things. Boohoo."

This guy didn't want him suspended AT ALL. Sindarius, three flames not firing, the desperation of calling for a blackout, acting "tough" and not shaking hands... it all stinks of a 2nd place mentality and complacency on the BoT and in the AD's office for enabling the environment that allows it.

With all due respect, anybody who thinks three flames not firing, the blackout, or not shaking hands are a reflection on the BoT and AD might be overreacting. There's plenty of blame to go around for losing the game but on a list of top 100 those rank about 98. If you're at midfield down by 8 and you have 3 downs to
make 2 yards and run the same play 3 times I don't think you can blame that on Ray Tanner.

We lost last night because of bad coaching, poor execution, and a kickers that could not hit the side of a barn. South Carolina is much better than they played last night, Kentucky is not as good as they looked last night. This was an embarrassing loss. I don't buy this handshake story one bit. Kentucky came out flat not energized. They fumbled the ball and threw an interception in the first few minutes. We gave this game to them on a silver platter.

Lol. Seems like this sentiment is the reason you keep losing to an "inferior" team year after year.

Maybe, just maybe Kentucky is better than South Carolina recently. Maybe if you admitted it instead of making excuses, you would compete next year.

You act as if a 54 yard field goal should be s given in the college game.

Sorry but a superior team doesn't get stymied on multiple 3rd and 4th and short. They also don't allow, at one point 7/10 3rd down conversions.

But as a Kentucky fan, I won't be getting too high after this game. We still havnt beaten a good opponent.

Reactions: KellKat
With all due respect, anybody who thinks three flames not firing, the blackout, or not shaking hands are a reflection on the BoT and AD might be overreacting. There's plenty of blame to go around for losing the game but on a list of top 100 those rank about 98. If you're at midfield down by 8 and you have 3 downs to
make 2 yards and run the same play 3 times I don't think you can blame that on Ray Tanner.
Those are just three very recent examples. I get how I sound unhinged, I really do. But there is a decades-long list of us settling for being competitive from time to time that I surely don't need to roll out here.

Going on twitter and claiming "they started it!" is making an issue of it. In fact, that's why Muschamp had to call Stoops because it was starting to become an issue. You act like none of us have ever been 19 before. They didn't just lose a game, they got their manhood checked by Kentucky. I don't so much have a problem with losing as I do the way we lose. I can't think of but a couple games where we lost because the other team was just flat out better. Saturday night wasn't one of those times. Kentucky walked in, trashed talked us and walked out and we sit around "boohoo Kentucky is mean, they say mean things. Boohoo."

Can you quote any of S.C.'s players that made a big deal about the trash talking? "They didn't just lose a game, they got their manhood checked by Kentucky". They lose by 10 points, the same amount of points as the missed PAT and the missed field goals and that's having your manhood checked. That's a little over the top even for Gamecock Central where every loss is apocalyptic.

Can you quote any of S.C.'s players that made a big deal about the trash talking? "They didn't just lose a game, they got their manhood checked by Kentucky". They lose by 10 points, the same amount of points as the missed PAT and the missed field goals and that's having your manhood checked. That's a little over the top even for Gamecock Central where every loss is apocalyptic.
They made a big deal by not shaking hands at the meeting at mid-field. It doesn't matter if you lose by 10 or 10,000, a loss is a loss. You can point to missed field goals and that played a part in it, but you can also point to not getting off the field on 3rd down, not being able to get a yard on 4th down, not being able to hit wide open receivers, penalities that kill drives, and on and on and on. Kentucky played harder than we did and it showed, they wanted it more. They took our crowd out of it early and weathered the storm from the touchdown and the two turnovers. Trying to act like this loss isn't bad is naive. This was a win we needed for the east and especially over a team that's beaten us the same ways 4 years in a row.

At that age, I didn't shake hands with people disrespecting me either. But Coach BOOM! talked to them and it's handled. He said in his teleconference that he called Stoops and discussed it. I imagine he explained what really happened during the conversation and that's that, as they say. Not much more to see here.

Reactions: funktavious
Langston is one of my favorite Gamecock players but he's wrong about this. He played in the NFL, he knows better than to claim "they did it too!". He knows you never allow another player or team get in your head and you don't have and show off like we did all night long (not just the coin toss). If we were so mad during the coin toss for being offended, then why the hell didn't we wrap up to tackle and hit people? Looked like a bunch of matadors out there at times. One of our players didn't even try to shake hands, so it wasn't all on Kentucky. If you stick your hand out and they don't shake it, fine that's on them. That ain't what happened though and we got our butts kicked for it. If I'm the coach they'd be running stadium steps this morning at 5am until the passed out from exhaustion. Then when they came to they'd run some more.
It's kinda hard to shake someone's hand when they're talking trash to you. That doesn't even make sense. The Kentucky players were acting chippy all night long. Did you not see the way their QB stuck his tongue out at the SC defenders? and he was the one talking trash at the coin toss. I hope he gets his clock cleaned the next time he steps on the field.

It's kinda hard to shake someone's hand when they're talking trash to you. That doesn't even make sense. The Kentucky players were acting chippy all night long. Did you not see the way their QB stuck his tongue out at the SC defenders? and he was the one talking trash at the coin toss. I hope he gets his clock cleaned the next time he steps on the field.
So why didn't we clean his clock Saturday night? It wasn't like he never carried the ball. If someone is taunting you and talking trash and sticking his tounge out that means he doesn't fear you. I dunno, that would have made me play harder but I guess our players are different.

They made a big deal by not shaking hands at the meeting at mid-field. It doesn't matter if you lose by 10 or 10,000, a loss is a loss. You can point to missed field goals and that played a part in it, but you can also point to not getting off the field on 3rd down, not being able to get a yard on 4th down, not being able to hit wide open receivers, penalities that kill drives, and on and on and on. Kentucky played harder than we did and it showed, they wanted it more. They took our crowd out of it early and weathered the storm from the touchdown and the two turnovers. Trying to act like this loss isn't bad is naive. This was a win we needed for the east and especially over a team that's beaten us the same ways 4 years in a row.

So you can't quote a S.C. player that made a big deal out of the handshake. It didn't play any part in the outcome and the only people saying it did are people like you. The road gets a lot harder after this without
Deebo Samuel. So I'm not optimistic about the season. I don't know how long you've been watching South Carolina football, but if you've watched them since the 60s like I have, it's easier to put this loss in perspective. It's a loss to a team that I dislike immensely, but no amount of complaining or finger pointing is going to convert it to a win.

Booohooooo

After being disrespected in the captains meeting he stuck his tongue out at me while straight punking us. Boohoo

Yeah..if you make it so easy for an opposing team to cause you to react to things they say...they have already won. The nature of the SEC is kill the weakest....look for more of the same.

So you can't quote a S.C. player that made a big deal out of the handshake. It didn't play any part in the outcome and the only people saying it did are people like you. The road gets a lot harder after this without
Deebo Samuel. So I'm not optimistic about the season. I don't know how long you've been watching South Carolina football, but if you've watched them since the 60s like I have, it's easier to put this loss in perspective. It's a loss to a team that I dislike immensely, but no amount of complaining or finger pointing is going to convert it to a win.
Serious question, can you ever recall an opposing player refusing to shake Clowney's hand? Lattimore? Shaw? Alshon? Can you name a time where someone from Kentucky ever stuck their tounge out at them? Ever got in their face and jawed with them? Ever wonder why no one ever did? Because those players put the fear of God in people. We are seriously missing that. You don't taunt and jaw with people you fear. We aren't feared and now the whole conference knows we are easy to rattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT